watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The all-time Mr nice guy Fulham team

Started by FC Silver Fox, July 27, 2011, 08:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FC Silver Fox

Just a bit of closed-season fun to get us thinking: Who would you have in an all-time Mr nice-guy Fulham team? Think in terms of the rapport they have/had with the fans. They can be current or ex-Fulham and aren't necessarily the best players we've ever had. Would Frank Large beat Brian McBride for the N°9 shirt (I can hear you spluttering)?  I think we'll find there will be competition in certain positions like right back (Pantsil or Voltzy perhaps?).  Would Fred Callaghan make left back?
Remember, we're not talking about the players you like because they were the best.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Snibbo

George Cohen and Stan Brown would have to be in it.

Alan Slough was a character. 

Please not Frank Large, no matter how nice he was.  His memory is painful. 

More recently, definitely McBride and Hangeland.

I'd leave the Maestro out on the basis that he was apparently a grumpy bugger.

Tonywa

I think a front two of Brian McBride and Ivor would be pretty lethal.

LBNo11

...Tosh Chamberlain, Graham Leggat, Bobby Robson, Fred Callaghan, Les Strong, Gordon 'Ivor' Davies, Rufus Brevett, Sylvain Legwinsky and Moritz Volz - I am sure there are many more, but these stand out for me - Oh and Pescheeeeyyy..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

The Equalizer

Quote from: LBNo11 on July 27, 2011, 09:58:00 AM
...Tosh Chamberlain, Graham Leggat, Bobby Robson, Fred Callaghan, Les Strong, Gordon 'Ivor' Davies, Rufus Brevett, Sylvain Legwinsky and Moritz Volz - I am sure there are many more, but these stand out for me - Oh and Pescheeeeyyy..!

Morgs
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

LBNo11

Quote from: The Equalizer on July 27, 2011, 10:10:18 AM
Quote from: LBNo11 on July 27, 2011, 09:58:00 AM

Morgs

...Cap'n Morgan - aaarrrggghhh..!

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Whiteroom

TheDaddy

Micky Adams as manager always had time for the fans....
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

cebu

MJG

I always got on well with Martin Pike and Ray Lewington.

CorkedHat

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

OldBrownShoe

Snibbo please don't leave players out on the basis of "apparently...".  It is not my memory of him or that of my family. Corked Hat would I think be able to confirm The Maestro's very decent. good guy attitude from personal experience.

Julian Hails to be added to the the list please.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

SouthfieldWhite

I think overall we've been lucky at fulham and have had some nice approachable players, there is the odd exception but most of the ones that have been mentioned I've been lucky enough to of spoken to , so can vouch for those, the ones that really stick out are ray Lew and of course morgs who became a personal friend
Whenever I spoke to the late great Johnny Haynes, he was always a gentleman
Can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned Terry Angus, I was in the stand at orient when Angus was also in the stand and he stood up and started singing, one that may surprise people was steve Keane, always had time for me

As for Les Barrett, he had a flower shop round the corner from me and I popped in there one day not knowing it was his shop, I of course had an Ffc jumper on and when he saw me, had a long chat and gave me a discount on the flowers

HatterDon

Quote from: SouthfieldWhite on July 27, 2011, 02:44:33 PM
I think overall we've been lucky at fulham and have had some nice approachable players, there is the odd exception but most of the ones that have been mentioned I've been lucky enough to of spoken to , so can vouch for those, the ones that really stick out are ray Lew and of course morgs who became a personal friend
Whenever I spoke to the late great Johnny Haynes, he was always a gentleman
Can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned Terry Angus, I was in the stand at orient when Angus was also in the stand and he stood up and started singing, one that may surprise people was steve Keane, always had time for me

As for Les Barrett, he had a flower shop round the corner from me and I popped in there one day not knowing it was his shop, I of course had an Ffc jumper on and when he saw me, had a long chat and gave me a discount on the flowers

thanks for this post, Mr. Southfield. Stories like these need to be told and read by younger [and foreign] supporters.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

OldBrownShoe

Yes Southfield White, how could we forget Terry Angus. Top man (and legend in the stands giving immense support to our team on the pitch).
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

LBNo11

...and here is Les Barrett outside his wifes flower shop in Earlsfield:-

To answer you HD, although I saw him play and met him on a few occassions with others I have never actually spoken to him apart from when we were campaigning for a proper statue, and that was over the 'phone. I would be too biased to say he was a nice guy...