watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

World Cup 2010 - USMNT

Started by RidgeRider, March 04, 2010, 01:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

I have started this thread for selfish reasons, which is I am LIGHT in terms of knowledge on our squad and would like to get my hands around our chances this summer.

So my question to you is who should be our starting XI this summer and what do you fancy our chances in getting out of the group with England?

HatterDon

Here's what I consider our best XI [4-2-3-1]

------------------------ Howard --------------------------

Spector -------- Onyewu ---------- Bocanegra ----- Pearce

------------- Clark/Edu ----------- Bradley ----------------

----- Dempsey ---------- Davies ---------Donovan --------

---------------------- Altidore ----------------------------

The problem is that neither of the emboldened/italicized players will be at their best [or there at all] when we face England. DeMerit is a good substitution for Onyewu, but there is no adequate replacement for Davies. Bob may have to go with a 4-4-2 with Deuce up front with Altidore, but Holden's injury yesterday means that we don't have anyone to slot into that position.

I just spelled out a lot of weaknesses for England, but Algeria and Slovenia can play a bit also. I think our discipline might see us out of the group stage along with England, but without Charlie Davies to keep defenders honest, I think we'll be extremely lucky to play more than 4 matches in South Africa.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

Maybe this will be useful as I am impartial (still) but have limited sample of watching the US national team and certainly the MLS.

Goal keepers: The US have more class goalkeepers than Brazilians have technical footballers. Howard is top class, Friedel doesn't want to play but is class and Guzan his backup is class as well. Please someone find an English grandmother somewhere...Top notch and second to none.

Defense: A tad dodgy, but only a tad. Well organized from what I have seen but a bit slow. There could be some challenges if you play the big dog wingers as well such as Ronaldo et al.

Midfield: Very good, especially when Demps come back. Donovan is good (when ever he decides to play) and I managed to see Davies before the accident and he looked like the real deal. I don't know if he will be back in time though?

Upfront: Biggest problem. Altidore is mediocre at best. EJ is useless, and I have no idea who you have behind that.

Bottom line for me: US will be a hard team to beat and break down by any country, including Brazil. However, to win a game you need to score goals and I just do not see the current US team excel in that area.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Tom

Quote from: finnster01 on March 05, 2010, 05:26:59 AM
Maybe this will be useful as I am impartial (still) but have limited sample of watching the US national team and certainly the MLS.

Goal keepers: The US have more class goalkeepers than Brazilians have technical footballers. Howard is top class, Friedel doesn't want to play but is class and Guzan his backup is class as well. Please someone find an English grandmother somewhere...Top notch and second to none.

Defense: A tad dodgy, but only a tad. Well organized from what I have seen but a bit slow. There could be some challenges if you play the big dog wingers as well such as Ronaldo et al.

Midfield: Very good, especially when Demps come back. Donovan is good (when ever he decides to play) and I managed to see Davies before the accident and he looked like the real deal. I don't know if he will be back in time though?

Upfront: Biggest problem. Altidore is mediocre at best. EJ is useless, and I have no idea who you have behind that.

Bottom line for me: US will be a hard team to beat and break down by any country, including Brazil. However, to win a game you need to score goals and I just do not see the current US team excel in that area.
Davies plays upfront for us finnster. If he can make it back and is healthy, he is a difference maker. EJ will not be going to SA like you said and is useless! Altidore is getting better and better. Did you see him pass it to himself between the Dutch players legs? That was pretty damn good! If healthy it will be Davies and Altidore upfront for us.
Fulham for life!

RidgeRider

Thanks for that Don and for your comment Finnster, I agree we lack a big time striker. While I think EJ will find his level in the sport, it won't be in Prem.

I really hope Davies gets back in time. I agree with everyone else, when I have watched him play, he has been very good and threatening.

Tom

Quote from: RidgeRider on March 06, 2010, 03:38:29 PM
Thanks for that Don and for your comment Finnster, I agree we lack a big time striker. While I think EJ will find his level in the sport, it won't be in Prem.

I really hope Davies gets back in time. I agree with everyone else, when I have watched him play, he has been very good and threatening.
I want to see the Stanky Leg at the World Cup RidgeRider!
Fulham for life!

mofulham

I would slot Jermaine Jones in with Edu/Clark.  You cant count him out as word is the US is still actively looking at him and following his injury progress.  That could be a big boost to the US.

McBridefan1

for me I like Demerrit better than specter, big tough kid won't get pushed around... but i disagree with finny, I think our defense is was and always will be shoddy at best... careless rash and unorganized at worst... unfortunately I've seen them play at their worst far too often. There is a reason our keepers are so good finny, it's because our defense is so suspect... I wish we had a guy like hodgie that could really get them organised, because there is some real talent in our defense... that being said bocanegra and onyewu will probably be our top scorers... so at least there's that.

Logicalman

MB1,
I would go for Specter over DeMerrit every time, based on what I have seen of them. Specter gets stuck in and what he misses in bulk, he compensates with aggressiveness. DeMerrit, unfortunately spoilt my view of him in a couple of games last year I think it was, when I consistently saw him turn his back on players taking shots from the center of the penalty area (similar to what Brede did last week), but DeMerrit did it a number of times, and his size belied his commitment into tackles and shot-stopping.

You are perfectly correct though in your reasoning as to why the keepers have to be so good!!   :001:

Ag

Our left back situation isn't helping the quality of the back four either.

McBridefan1

yeah I'm just going off of their last game when I say I'd rather Demerit than Specter, the game against Holland for me Demerit was a beast and Specter was the least... but over all maybe he is the better choice, I just prefer a guy like Demerit, over the catholic school boy Specter.

finnster01

Quote from: McBridefan1 on March 18, 2010, 07:02:57 PM
yeah I'm just going off of their last game when I say I'd rather Demerit than Specter, the game against Holland for me Demerit was a beast and Specter was the least... but over all maybe he is the better choice, I just prefer a guy like Demerit, over the catholic school boy Specter.
I went to catholic school mate  :011:

BC

My back four would be: Spector-Gooch-DeMerit-Boca

This was the configuration in our qualifier against Honduras at Soldier Field (I was fortunate to be there!) and it seemed to work really well.  I really dig DeMerit---he's got the grit that I really like in a defender.  Spector did well to get up the pitch and provide some service out wide.  Boca seemed much more comfortable as a left back than in central defense. 

Aye, we've always had a problem up front.  Altidore has loads of potential.  And Davies is excellent with his pace.  If the two of them have no injury problems and continue to mature, we could be in good shape in the years to come.  Problem is, it really drops off after that. 

McBridefan1

Quote from: finnster01 on March 18, 2010, 08:03:57 PM
Quote from: McBridefan1 on March 18, 2010, 07:02:57 PM
I went to catholic school mate  :011:

Not the first time I've had to eat my words Finny... won't be the last. maybe I should have said catholic shcool girl?

Tom

Quote from: BC on March 19, 2010, 04:43:50 AM
My back four would be: Spector-Gooch-DeMerit-Boca

This was the configuration in our qualifier against Honduras at Soldier Field (I was fortunate to be there!) and it seemed to work really well.  I really dig DeMerit---he's got the grit that I really like in a defender.  Spector did well to get up the pitch and provide some service out wide.  Boca seemed much more comfortable as a left back than in central defense.  

Aye, we've always had a problem up front.  Altidore has loads of potential.  And Davies is excellent with his pace.  If the two of them have no injury problems and continue to mature, we could be in good shape in the years to come.  Problem is, it really drops off after that.  
I like that back four BC. I think we are going to make a run this year. I just really hope Davies is back and he is suppose to start training with Sochaux on Monday. I am still hoping we can some how get Jermaine Jones healthy in time.
Fulham for life!

YankeeJim

Not to be disrespectful to our kind hosts, but I wonder about the response if Dempsey repeats that floater against England. Wouldn't that be grand!
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

finnster01

To be quite honest Mr Jim, it would probably be met with thunderous applause.

I probably wouldn't, but most fans put clubs above country in England.

I certainly want to see the US to do well in the WC2010. It is my new adopted country but I will have a bit of a hard time cheering for them when playing England still

Tom

Quote from: finnster01 on March 19, 2010, 02:58:34 PM

I certainly want to see the US to do well in the WC2010. It is my new adopted country but I will have a bit of a hard time cheering for them when playing England still

Your a good man finnster! I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from.
Fulham for life!

YankeeJim

Finny,
I don't expect the US to beat England. It's not that we are that bad, but the US wins on organization & fitness. England does as well. Neither team has the individual talent of a Brazil or Spain but England has more talent than the US. If the US can avoid giving an early goal, the match just might become a real slugfest. I'd like to see Dempsey score and give the Redcoats a run if for no other reason than to shut up those nobs who say we yanks can't play the game. All told, unless Gooch is back & fit, Rooney will muscle a brace in the center. If he is than England will win coming down the US left.

Course, we've all heard Roy's comments on expectations.............we'll see won't we?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

McBridefan1

Quote from: finnster01 on March 19, 2010, 02:58:34 PM

People who say club over country only say that until England wins a world cup... then magically everyone is an English supporter. There will be more ST. George's crosses walking around than actual Englishmen to wear them...