more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (07/10/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 07, 2011, 08:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

HOME WIN AGAINST QPR EARNS FULHAM THE ACCOLADE

The League Managers Association five-man Performance of the Week panel, comprising LMA Chairman Howard Wilkinson, Sir Alex Ferguson, Joe Royle, Dave Bassett and Barry Fry, were in agreement that this week, the F&C Thames River Performance of the Week Award should go to Fulham following their excellent 6-0 home win against QPR in the Barclays Premier League on Sunday 2nd October 2011. 

Fulham manager Martin Jol will receive a specially engraved crystal football in a presentation to be screened on Sky Soccer Saturday on 15th October 2011.

Fulham recorded their first league victory of the 2010/11 campaign with a convincing win over their London rivals at Craven Cottage.

Andrew Johnson became the first Fulham player to score a hat-trick in the Barclays Premier League and he was quick to open the scoring after just after 78 seconds before Danny Murphy converted a penalty. Johnson then added two more goals either side of the interval, with Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora later completing the scoring for the hosts.

After the match, Jol was delighted with the result and hailed the performance of striker Johnson;

"I felt we played very well from the start. I'm very satisfied.

"We created a lot of chances and Andy Johnson put the ball into the back of the net.
"Remember that both Johnson and Zamora were both out injured, so it was nice to see them play together well.

"That is what Johnson is capable of and that's what I said at the start of the season. He's quick, he wants to work and he's a team player and now he proves that he can score goals as well and that is good."

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/news-6871.html?

WhiteJC

Europe helps us - Dempsey

Fulham striker Clint Dempsey believes playing in Europe is helping the players improve their league form.
The Cottagers have already played 18 games this season after beginning their campaign in the Europa League qualifying first round in June.

Other Premier League managers such as Tottenham's Harry Redknapp have played weakened sides in the Europa League this season for fear the extra games could have a negative effect on league results.

Dempsey though believes the opposite, citing striker Andy Johnson - who carried his goal-scoring form in Europe into the Premier League last weekend - as a prime example of the benefits continental football can bring.

"It (playing in Europe) is helping guys," Dempsey said.

"Scoring goals in the Europa league like AJ did, he is able to carry that type of confidence and form into these games, so I think it has helped players.

"And any time you are in these type of competitions it is good. You are able to rotate to get players fitness."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/europe-helps-us-dempsey-1304633.html?#.To6loBxhn5k

WhiteJC

Zamora in line for England start
by DAN on OCTOBER 6, 2011

Yesterday afternoon all the talk was of Danny Welbeck partnering Wayne Rooney up front in England's crunch Euro 2012 qualifier in Montenegro tomorrow night. But today's Daily Star hints that Fabio Capello is considering handing a surprise start to Fulham striker Bobby Zamora.

The thought behind this is simple: Zamora's capabilities as a support striker, with his physicality and ability to hold the ball in attacking areas, could be very useful when England need to keep the ball and frustrate their hosts. As an England insider reportedly notes, it comes down to where Capello believes Montenegro are weak:

But if he's convinced that the weakness is playing in the hole between the lines, then he will play Zamora, because he will be able to hold the ball, keep it and deliver it into space for somebody.

Zamora's had something of a stop-start season with Fulham so far, having been frustrated by illness and injury. He scored his fifth goal of the campaign in Sunday's 6-0 win over QPR and will be hoping to add to his only England cap tomorrow evening – the first having come as a substitute against Hungary at Wembley last August.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/zamora-in-line-for-england-start/?

WhiteJC

Dempsey hoping for Johnson stay

Clint Dempsey is hoping Fulham can secure team-mate Andy Johnson's services beyond the end of the season.

The former Everton striker's current deal is due to expire in the summer, although talks are ongoing to extend his stay.

Question marks have been raised over Johnson's long-term future after manager Martin Jol revealed he shunned the club's initial offer.

Johnson proved his credentials over the weekend with a hat-trick in Fulham's 6-0 win over newly-promoted Queens Park Rangers.
FOUGHT BACK
Dempsey is a big fan of Johnson's ability and hopes the striker stays with the London outfit.

"That's not for me to make that decision," he said. "But AJ's a goal scorer and he's good to have around, and hopefully that will be the case for some time to come.

"He also likes to have a laugh and I respect him for the fact he's had some tough injuries and fought back from them."

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2474358,00.html?

WhiteJC

Switzerland's Philippe Senderos & Reto Ziegler: We hold our Euro 2012 future in our own hands
The Fulham defender reveals his side's plan on combating the threat of Wales' attacking unit, while his compatriot backs his belief of qualifying for the finals

Switzerland duo Philippe Senderos and Reto Ziegler insist that qualifying for the Euro 2012 play-offs is still possible.

Ottmar Hitzfeld's side take on Wales at the Liberty Stadium in Swansea in a Group G clash on Friday evening and are three points behind second-placed Montenegro, who host leaders England.

Switzerland will face Montenegro in Basel on Tuesday in what is the final qualifier for both teams and Senderos is confident that they will head into that game with a chance of advancing to the play-offs.

"We will concentrate on our game," said the Fulham centre-back in the pre-match press conference on Thursday. "We have our destiny in our hands.

"If we win tomorrow, then we can play like a big final at home and anything is possible in front of our crowd."

When asked about the threat posed by Wales' attacking unit that includes Gareth Bale and Craig Bellamy, the 26-year-old stated: "First of all, we will defend as a team and we will defend from up front.

"If we keep a good shape, then we can put pressure on them from the front and get them at their game. They will have to play long balls and that will be good for us as we have players to cope with that."
Ziegler echoed his compatriot's belief of qualifying for the play-offs and dismissed any notion that they will be thinking of the Montenegro-England clash while they are on the pitch.

"We are concerned with our own game and with the 90 minutes we have to play against Wales," stated the left-sided player.

"We have our own future in our hands. We are confident because we have a good team. We played well against Bulgaria [3-1 home victory] but we have respect for Wales and we will be ready for them.

"I am not thinking about failing [to qualify for the Euro 2012 finals]."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2898/euro-2012/2011/10/06/2699070/switzerlands-philippe-senderos-reto-ziegler-we-hold-our-euro?

WhiteJC

Briggs - A Chance to Shine!

I don`t usually follow international football, let alone U21 fixtures, but I`m going to make an exception.

It`s a decision taken partly because there is another break in domestic football to accommodate international football but also because there is a Fulham involvement.

Tonight, the U21 side, under the leadership of Stuart Pearce, takes on Iceland and I`m sincerely hoping that Matthew Briggs, who is in the squad, is given the chance to shine.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=258059#ixzz1a4tNIXg9

WhiteJC

Baird Backs Irish Boss!

Continuing the international theme, our own Chris Baird has had a word or two to say about his national manager.

Nigel Worthington, who has been under pressure after failing to take Northern Ireland to the Euro Final and has also been the victim of home sharp barbs of criticism from a certain Lawrie Sanchez, has leapt to the defence of his national boss, commenting to the media hounds,

"He has been fantastic for us, great for our country and great for the players who have worked under him."

"He has always stuck by us, has everyone`s respect, is a good coach and I back him."

As a stalwart of the Irish side, we`d hope that Baird`s words are heeded by those in charge!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=258058#ixzz1a4tcqC9D

WhiteJC

Fulham Programmes 1979-80

Recently I have been enjoying the discovery of the wonderful www.fulhamfootballprogrammes.co.uk an Illustrated History of Fulham Football Programmes and matches from the club's formation to the present day. Created by Fulham fan Phil Cowan, it really is a labour of love and features full scanned copies of Programmes from every era of Club's history.

Initially I thought I might do a top 5 programme covers. This is, after all, how my brain naturally works. However, having realised that every season has some lasting memory for me I decided I might work my way through the years highlighting a particular game that has particular resonance for me.

My first season following the Fulham was 1979-80 and my first ever live match was the home game against Burnley. It was the middle of September and we won 3-1 but the season went downhill thereafter. I love the fairground style font used for the second season in a row to depict the club name. I love the colour and of course the montage of Ken Coton photos. The shot of the top showing the "ghosts" at the back of the Stevenage Road stand. Les Strong battling against an unknown Leicester City player, Tony Gale and (I think) John Lacy in mid-aerial lunge, Peter Kitchen our most expensive purchase at that point with the spikey hair and seventies 'tache.

I don't remember a great deal about the game itself other than it being a gorgeous sunny afternoon. Peter Marinello got sent off with the score still 0-0 and the crowd sang "There's Only One Marinello" for the rest of the game. The referee, Ron Challis (Tonbridge, Kent), took a lot of stick for that decision and I learned a few new words. Despite this we went on to win 3-1 thanks to two goals from Gordon "Ivor" Davies and one from Kevin Lock. Goals, sun, singing, excitement. It's what football is really all about and why I still have a primal connection with watching it live.

After the game Dad walked me round the ground, under the Eric Miller (Riverside) stand and along the Putney Terrace, to take a look at the famous Craven Cottage. As we were about to head home Peter Marinello came out from the changing rooms, heading for the player's bar. Someone stopped him to ask about the Old Firm (I didn't know what that meant then but it sounded quite exciting). Marinello stopped for a chat before heading on his way, every inch the dashing hero. It was Ivor though who had really caught my imagination. It was Ivor who scored the goals that mattered and would continue to do so quite regularly from then on. It was Ivor who always had a cheeky wink or word with the crowd.

I went home very happy, expecting every game to be like that. I soon learned that wasn't the case. Fulham struggled to maintain consistency and were relegated at the end of the season. I'd been bitten by the bug though and our Saturday afternoons were never quite the same again.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/fulham-programmes-1979-80/?

WhiteJC

USA vs. Honduras: Clint Dempsey Will Lead Americans to Klinsmann's First Victory

Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

The Jurgen Klinsmann era hasn't exactly gotten off to a terrific start.

The team is 0-2-1 so far under Klinsmann, and haven't impressed anyone, but things will be different this time around.

Honduras is without a doubt the worst team that the U.S. team has faced during the Klinsmann era, and is the best chance the team has to come away with a victory.

With Landon Donovan out of the lineup, expect Clint Dempsey to step up for the Americans in this match. Dempsey has been the most consistent threat in the attacking third for the Americans over the past few years, and will continue to assert himself in this match.

He has terrific attacking instincts, and will look to get his teammates involved. Look for him and Jozy Altidore to be very involved in the US attack in this one.

With Tim Howard between the pipes, the Americans are primed for their first victory in the Klinsmann era.

Anything less than a victory in this match would be disastrous. They cannot afford to leave the pitch with a loss or a draw in this match, and must come away with a win.

They need to lean on Dempsey and Altidore offensively, and hope that the two can put the ball in the back of the net for just the second time in the Klinsmann era.

The offense has been quite stagnant so far under Klinsmann, and have not scored in the past two matches.

Dempsey will lay everything on the pitch in this game, and will lead his coach to victory against Honduras in this match.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/882192-usa-vs-honduras-clint-dempsey-will-lead-americans-to-klinsmanns-first-victory?

WhiteJC

Montenegro v England: Frank Lampard to start on the bench as Bobby Zamora gets nod up front
Frank Lampard is likely to start on the bench for England's crucial Euro 2012 qualifier in Montenegro, with Fabio Capello set to keep faith with the central midfield pairing of Scott Parker and Gareth Barry.

The England manager is also considering starting with Bobby Zamora as Wayne Rooney's strike partner.

Capello appears to have decided that Danny Welbeck, despite playing so well with Rooney so far this season for Manchester United, is too inexperienced to be included for such a potentially-hostile fixture.

However, the Italian is still toying with the idea of handing a first senior cap to Welbeck's United team-mate, Phil Jones, who is vying with Phil Jagielka to be England's right-back.

Up until Thursday, Capello was considering playing Jones at centre-half alongside John Terry, but has now decided that Gary Cahill's partnership with the England captain should continue. Capello has also reasoned that Jones, 19, who he regards highly, will be less exposed at right-back than in the centre of defence.

That reasoning could change overnight and, as ever with Capello, no final decisions have been made. He only does that on the day of the game. However, as things stand, Jones is set to play.

Capello was last night studying more DVDs of Montenegro and also digesting the news that their coach, Branko Brnovic, has controversially decided to rest three key players ahead of Tuesday's match against Switzerland.

Milan Jovanovic, Nikola Drincic and Marko Basa are among eight Montenegrin players who are one booking away from suspension and so will not be risked, even though victories over England and the Swiss would guarantee qualification as Group G winners.

Instead it appears Montenegro are targeting the runners-up spot and a place in the play-offs.

Capello said on Thursday that he had still to decide on two positions in his starting XI — right-back and Rooney's strike partner. If Lampard is left out it will come as a bitter blow to the 33 year-old, who has been in fine form for Chelsea of late, scoring a hat-trick in their last match at Bolton.
He did not start the impressive win against Bulgaria, the first time he had been left out by England when fit, but did play against Wales — with Parker rested as he was on a booking.

But it is understood that Capello is thinking of retaining the Parker/Barry partnership for tonight's match, with Lampard included among the substitutes.

Zamora's inclusion is an indication of the physical battle that Capello is expecting. He is a more powerful player than Welbeck or Darren Bent and is also regarded as better at linking the team and holding the ball up than Andy Carroll.

John Terry will again lead England and yesterday spoke about the challenges facing some of the older members of the squad, such as himself and Lampard, to keep their places.

"We're in that transitional period," Terry said. "They [younger players] are not coming into the squad happy to be where they are. They're really pushing and fighting for places. If they continue their form at club level, it's going to be even harder for the ones in the starting line-up to keep their places. We're certainly seeing a change. Maybe it's what we needed."

Capello is set to make more changes should England qualify for next summer's finals in Poland and Ukraine, although Terry and his Chelsea team-mate Ashley Cole are likely to be retained from the 'old guard'.

Having been restored as England captain in March, Terry spoke about why he feels he is the right man to lead his country.

"It's about setting an example on the pitch, the way you train and the way you play," he explained. "That goes down to silly things: being on time for meetings and making sure you're always there; knowing your squad of players.

"Not just the XI who start and bang in the goals — it's OK coming out and praising them — but also the ones who don't play."

It is an approach that he uses for club and country. Such a philosophy for the 30-year-old has come with maturity although Terry, who has captained Chelsea for seven years and England for four of the last five years, will argue it has been something he has always followed.

"It's essential for me, really," he said. "Literally every day, I train at 100 per cent. Those who aren't doing the same as me I tend to sort of 'gee up' and try to get everyone on the same level as me. I hate losing at training.

"We're lucky with Chelsea, and England. We're the same mould and characters. We hate to lose."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/8812233/Montenegro-v-England-Frank-Lampard-to-start-on-the-bench-as-Bobby-Zamora-gets-nod-up-front.html?

WhiteJC

The End Is Nigh...

Pessimism among financiers and politicians suggest the modern world is on the brink of a 'perfect storm.' The big bubble of Global Capitalism has been pricked by its own hubris

©

Before we all go under, and in the absence of any club fixtures this weekend, I've a few things to get off my chest, not all of them footie related. Let's call it 'good week, bad week.'

Bad week: Stories of 'unrest and disharmony' in the Fulham camp hardly bear comparison with the summer-long headlines of widespread phone hacking by journalists in pursuit of scandal. But how much more evidence do people need before they understand most of what's in the papers is made up, distorted or spun? Four days after the first hysterical note was sounded, we now know that Kasami (19) was not fined £500 by his manager for missing a vital penalty at Chelsea. The senior players are not 'disgusted with Jol,' and Brede is not raising the case with the PFA. The kid himself has had to issue a statement clearing the 'non-story' up. The fine came for indiscipline in over-riding team orders as to who on the night was Jol's designated penalty taker - and it wasn't Kasami. He's apologised, paid up and says he has absolutely no problems with the decision. On eight grand a week, it's loose change anyway. End of.

Good week: Our Scandi supporters tell me their trip to Odense was one of the best, and they'll be down in Krakow in healthy numbers on the 20th. Well, Polish beer prices alone are enough to have all Vikings salivating, add in the excitement of seeing the Whites in full flow and what a party we'll be having in the Old Town. I've booked my flight and match tickets are just 10 euros.

Bad Week: On the subject of beer, a prices commission reveals the unacceptable gap in the price of a UK pint between the north and the south. Something every fan in the land has known for years. The industry says this reflects the greater rents and business rates across the south-east and London. This arrogant piffle and discriminatory practice epitomises the archaic attitudes of beer barons - ever the greatest of friends with government - but loathe to change and contemptuous of their customers. Prices for everything, from peanuts to petrol get hiked in the south because companies know they can squeeze more from the prosperous half of the country. Northerners moan, southern softies suck it up, I buy my booze abroad and give pubs as little custom as possible.

Good Week: British Aerospace to close factories and lay off 3,000. Cannot understand how this was a lead news item seen as another national disaster. The reason for the closures is a simple one. Order books for sophisticated weapons of war are way down in this blessed era of peaceful cooperation (just that pesky North Korean bloke to get rid of). On holiday I was shaken off my sunbed by the banshee scream of a modern Eurofighter hammering up the beach doing back flips and loops at a height of 100 feet, part of the resort's air display. What a thoroughly pointless exercise an aeronautical display is. The formation stuff was mildly diverting for about 4 minutes but all the solitary Eurofighter pilot could do was point the nose in a vertical climb to near stall, then drop like a stone before engaging the afterburners and barrelling out over our heads. The noise of this thing alone is enough to have you heading for the cellar. I just thought of the astronomical rate finite fuel was being burnt off for our vicarious pleasure. I'm no peacenik, but there'd be a hell lot more love and money to go round if governments stopped committing such astronomical budgets to military toys. Cost per plane by the way - £125 million to the taxpayer and 260 had been built by start of 2011. What a waste!

Good/Bad News: The 'singing and standing' section of the Odense stadium. They have them at some Bundesliga clubs too. The nanny state of British governments goes back to the paternal approach of the Victorian Methodists and sadly persists to this day. Breed people to believe they're incapable of thinking for themselves and you have the lumpen emasculated proletariat that Britons are today. A great idea that every football club in the land should institute immediately. Freedom of choice as to how you want to watch your football. It will never happen here.

Bad News: Ignoring the views of fans, I have heard a whisper the club are not considering producing a DVD of the 6-0 Rangers hiding. Presumably they do not think it will sell in numbers. Considering all the incidents in the game, and what made the MOTD2 edit, I disagree. Looking back, I felt the performance superior to both the Norwich and WBA wins by six in the Prem. How hard can it be to dupe off the match master, top and tale it with titles and stick it in a box?

Good News: Rumours in the press say Capello's planning to start Bobby for the game Friday with Montenegro. Let's hope that's true. What a comeback that would represent to the guy who this time last year had his ankle shattered by you-know-who. This blog will also be keeping a close eye on Clint's two games in the US - he surely now rates as the best player of all-time to emerge from the States and make a career at the highest level. Good luck Deuce and every Fulham player out on international duty. The current squad is packed with big international star names like no other time in its history. Not a bad time to be a Fulham supporter I reckon.

Twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/10/the_end_is_nigh.php?

WhiteJC

Briggs plays as England U21s earn another win
by DAN on OCTOBER 7, 2011

Fulham's Matthew Briggs continued his impressive start to his fledging international career with another cap for the England under-21s as Stuart Pearce's side swept to a 3-0 win over Iceland in Reykjavik.

England maintained their 100 per cent start to qualifying for the Euro 2013 tournament thanks to a fine hat-trick from Arsenal's Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. This was expected to be a much stiffer test for Pearce's side after their 6-0 romp past Azerbaijan at Vicarage Road last month as Iceland had beaten England in their last meeting, but the visitors were into their stride as soon as the contest kicked off. Liverpool's Martin Kelly was denied by a fine save from Arnar Darri Petursson before Marvin Sordell fluffed a good opening down the right and Kelly went close again from corner by Henri Lansbury.

England did eventually take the lead after 12 minutes when Oxlade-Chamberlain made the most of defensive hesitancy to collect a loose ball, sprint towards goal and finish calmly across the goalkeeper. Three minutes later and the former Southampton winger doubled England's lead. He was indebted to goalkeeper Petursson who failed to hold Nathan Delfouneso's cross and allowed Oxlade-Chamberlain the simplest of finishes. The 18 year-old completed his treble three minutes after the break when he tricked his way past a couple of defenders and somehow beat the goalkeeper from an acute angle.

England's victory was marred by injuries to Delfouneso and Martyn Waghorn. Both suffered hamstring strains with the Aston Villa forward being replaced by the Leicester striker midway through the first half, only for Waghorn to have to substituted on the half mark, with Chelsea's Josh McEarchan being introduced as his replacement.

ICELAND: A Petursson, K Jonsson (Steindorsson 54), Eyjolfsson, Laxdal, Snorrason, Valdimarsson, Sigurbjornsson, R Sigurjonsson, Margeirsson, Sverrisson (Hannesson 57), Johannsson.  Subs (not used): AT Magnusson, Gudjonsson,H Magnusson, Thorarinsson, A Sigurjonsson.

BOOKED: Steindorsson, Valdimarsson.

ENGLAND: Butland, Flanagan, Briggs, Dawson, Kelly, Oxlade-Chamberlain (Barkley 82), Rodwell, Henderson, Lansbury, Sordell, Delfouneso (Waghorn 24, McEachran 63). Subs (not used): Amos, Smith, Baker, Lowe.

BOOKED: Kelly.

GOALS: Oxlade-Chamberlain (12, 15, 48).

REFEREE: C Turpin (France).

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/briggs-plays-as-england-u21s-earn-another-win/?

WhiteJC

Ruiz wants more time
by DAN on OCTOBER 7, 2011

In an interview with a Dutch football website, Bryan Ruiz has said he'll need a little more time to shine in the Premier League.

The Costa Rican winger has endured a tough start to life in England following a £10.6m move from FC Twente on transfer deadline day. He was hauled off at half-time after an uncomfortable debut against Blackburn and missed a good chance to give Fulham a rare away win at West Brom, but impressed playing in a slightly deeper role before missing the crucial spot-kick as the Whites went out of the Carling Cup on penalties at Chelsea.

He feels he had slightly longer on the ball in Holland, giving him an extra second to assess his options, and admits he's been surprised by just how aggressive the English game is. Opponents have frequently doubled up on Ruiz and denied him the freedom he used to enjoy with Twente. He finds himself often faced by two opponents, where there were more one-on-one contests in the Eredivisie. He's still determined to prove his worth to the Craven Cottage faithful but has asked for more time to integrate into the side.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/ruiz-wants-more-time/?

WhiteJC

Fulham star rules out international retirement

CLINT Dempsey will fly to the four corners of the globe for the USA this season - no matter how tired the Fulham forward gets.

In the same week as team-mate Aaron Hughes brings down the curtain on his international career, Dempsey has vowed to continue for his country until World Cup 2014 at least.

The American was one of four scorers in the fabulous 6-0 rout of neighbours QPR on Sunday. But like others in white, he is now 18 games and three competitions into the season already.

"I want to play in another World Cup and hopefully we'll qualify for Brazil," he said.  "I've got to make the most of my career and play in as many competitions as possible, and then after the World Cup, assess my career from there."

Dempsey joined his American team-mates this week for games in Miami against Honduras tomorrow (Saturday) and Tuesday where the USA take on Ecuador in New York.

The Fulham player hopes 8,000 miles on a plane will get him off to a flying start with new coach Jurgen Klinsmann, and make sure the German keeps him in mind for major games.

Dempsey added: "This will be my first game under Klinsmann, and it will be good to get a first win under him."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/10/07/fulham-star-rules-out-international-retirement-82029-29554522/?#ixzz1a4wn0QRb

WhiteJC

Ruiz feeling the pressure
Fulham newcomer struggling with the pace of the game

Fulham forward Bryan Ruiz has admitted he is struggling to cope with the pace of the game in the Premier League following his summer switch from FC Twente.

The Cottagers paid out a reported £10.6million to bring in the Costa Rica international on deadline day after being convinced by his performances in the Eredivisie that he could be a great success.

But Fulham have yet to see a return on that investment, with Ruiz failing to score in his first month at the club and not yet managing to establish himself in Martin Jol's starting XI.

The 26-year-old concedes that his confidence has been hit by how different the demands of English football are compared to what he was used to in Holland.

Extra second

"I've not had a comfortable time so far," said Ruiz.

"When I played in Holland I used to have an extra second to think.

"That makes a big difference. Here I am placed under greater pressure and get less time to act on the pitch.

"You also get more one-on-one situations in Dutch football. Here you get two players breathing down your neck straight away."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7228791,00.html?

WhiteJC

Running for Roger Brown

I hope Richard doesn't mind but I wanted to draw everyone's attention to a charity run on 23rd October 2011. A few weeks back I wrote about Roger Brown following his sad passing at the age of 58. Subsequently I discovered that his son-in-law to be, Peter Drakeley, was running for charity. There's only a few weeks to go and I think Peter could do with a sponsorship boost. I know times are hard but even the smallest donation can make a difference. Here's what Peter had to say;

As I am sure most of you are aware Fulham Legend Roger Brown sadly passed away last month aged only 58 years:

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/RogerBrownTribute.aspx

Roger was a good friend of mine, and my father in law to be and in his honor I have (perhaps a tad foolhardy) decided to attempt the Great Birmingham run to raise money for St Giles Hospice; a place where Roger felt safe and was well looked after in the last months of his life.

It'd be great if some of you would make a donation to this attempt in Rogers name.

If you would like to donate you can do so online at JustGiving:

http://www.justgiving.com/Peter-Drakeley

(You can also read more about my reasons for trying and my inadequacies as an athlete).

Please also spread the word to anyone you think might like to donate that probably won't see this thread!

Thanks,

Pete

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/running-for-roger-brown/?

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey commits future to both Fulham and USA

Whites midfielder is going nowhere

Clint Dempsey has committed his future to both club and country, declaring he is happy to keep playing for USA and Fulham.

The 28-year-old Texan has already played 18 games for the Whites this campaign but joined his international team-mates this week as they prepare for matches against Honduras in Miami tomorrow followed by a game against Ecuador in New York on Tuesday.

"I want to play in another World Cup and hopefully we'll qualify for Brazil," he said. "I've got to make the most of my career and play in as many competitions as possible, and then after the World Cup, assess my career from there."

"This will be my first game under Klinsmann, and it will be good to get a first win under him."

Dempsey was linked with a move during the transfer window with Roma and Arsenal linked with a move for the forward, after becoming a standout performer for the Whites.

"Every time you are linked with a big club it feels good," he admitted.

"I still have two years with Fulham and that is where my focus is and to be best I can. "Some of my best memories have been at Fulham I am looking forward to another season."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/clint_dempsey_commits_future_to_both_fulham_and_usa_1_1082419?

WhiteJC

Zamora to start for England - report
Bobby Zamora is set to be a shock inclusion in the England team to face Montengero this evening, according to reports.

Flatly contradicting the widespread expectation that the identity of Wayne Rooney's 'partner' in attack would be a straight choice between Danny Welbeck and Darren Bent, The Daily Mirror claims that 'Capello is leaning towards giving Fulham striker Bobby Zamora his first start'. The forward has previously only featured in a 45-minute cameo against Hungary.

The Mirror also reports that Capello is considering employing Manchester United defender Phil Jones at right-back in order to 'counter-act dangerman Mirko Vucinic' in the Euro 2012 qualifier.

In midfield, it's thought that Gareth Barry will partner Scott Parker, with Frank Lampard remaining on the bench, with Theo Walcott and Ashley Young flanking Rooney as Capello continues with his newly-introduced 4-2-3-1 formation.

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7228919/Zamora-to-start-for-England-report?

WhiteJC

Fulham On Sky

The Club can confirm that the following Barclays Premier League matches have been selected by Sky Sports for live broadcast over the festive period:

Fulham v Liverpool

New fixture date: Monday 5th December (KO 8pm)

Previous fixture date: Saturday 3rd December (KO 3pm)

Live on Sky Sports

Fulham v Arsenal

Fixture date: Monday 2nd January (KO 5.30pm)

This fixture was previously scheduled to kick-off at 3pm on January 2nd.

Live on Sky Sports

Ticket information for both matches will be published on fulhamfc.com in due course.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/SkySelection.aspx?#ixzz1a6rwhV3Y

WhiteJC

U21 Star

Fulham defender Matthew Briggs helped England's U21 team to a comfortable 3-0 victory over Iceland in Reykjavik on Thursday night that puts Stuart Pearce's team top of Euro 2013 Qualifying Group 8.

Briggs played the full 90 minutes on a chilly evening at Laugardalsvollur as Arsenal's Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain grabbed the Man of the Match award for his hat-trick against Iceland.

After helping his team keep a clean sheet on Thursday night, Briggs will be hoping to feature again on Monday night when England play Norway at Marienlyst, Drammen.

England's U21 Team (v Iceland)

Jack Butland, Jon Flanagan, Matthew Briggs, Jack Rodwell, Martin Kelly, Craig Dawson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jordan Henderson, Marvin Sordell, Henri Lansbury, Nathan Delfouneso

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/BriggsU21.aspx?#ixzz1a6s9xBoQ