News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

this is going to wind a few people up but......................................

Started by Rambling_Syd_Rumpo, October 21, 2011, 04:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

I don't care about  the Europa league-there I've said it
The Premier league is our bread and butter our reason for being,this Europa league is is side show that as I see it only causes problems,we don't make big money(if any?) out of it,our Premier League games are moved to Sundays,there is a chance that our players will pick up long term injuries.I loved our last run but would rather we had a decent FA cup run and a good finish in the Premier league.I feel that the Europa league is a con,a cop out,just a chance for Champion League drop outs to save face and win something,we got the rub of the green last time we won't get it again.
Europe League= over rated,no major profit for club,injury risk
Premier League= the be all and end all,lose this we could lose everything
this is how I honestly feel

now just to sit back and wait for the oncoming flame attack

WhiteJC

mrska

Kind of agree..  but it has also provided some of the best Fulham nights ive had in recent years..  I was enjoying rhis seasons run  run untill last night.  Still think we'll qualify for the knock out stage..

MJG

It's something to play for, why bother entering anything but the lge then, forget the other cups and we can just save our money.
Disagree, part of playing at prem level is to qualify for Europe, otherwise lets just have a street party we finished 8th.

horse1031

:014: :005:
Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on October 21, 2011, 04:54:41 PM
I don't care about  the Europa league-there I've said it
The Premier league is our bread and butter our reason for being,this Europa league is is side show that as I see it only causes problems,we don't make big money(if any?) out of it,our Premier League games are moved to Sundays,there is a chance that our players will pick up long term injuries.I loved our last run but would rather we had a decent FA cup run and a good finish in the Premier league.I feel that the Europa league is a con,a cop out,just a chance for Champion League drop outs to save face and win something,we got the rub of the green last time we won't get it again.
Europe League= over rated,no major profit for club,injury risk
Premier League= the be all and end all,lose this we could lose everything
this is how I honestly feel

now just to sit back and wait for the oncoming flame attack

JBH

I kind of agree, our last campaign was exciting to say the least and yet this time Im finding it hard to get up for it, I think that it's due to all of those qualifying rounds we had to play.

If we get through the group then it may feel like an important competition but all it is now is an extra expense that I can do without.  065.gif

Jimpav

I don't feel strongly enough about this to use a plus one but I do understand your sentiments Syd.

This time round the Europa has felt a bit stodgy and to some extent a distraction. It was always going to be a big ask to live up to last years outing but the combination of our performances (both in Europe and in the PL), combined with a team 2 years and a third manager in as many seasons has taken the shine of something that I was pining for when the fair play results were being calculated.

So far this campaign has offered little in the way of glamour or excitement. I enjoyed the novelty of twilight football in June, watching the sunset after the final whistle and the jaw dropping scenery of the Faroes (not to mention the Hills have eyes comments from BBC5L) but since then it has felt a bit tired and half hearted.

Last time round we had already taken 3 points off Basel and came within 15 seconds of securing another 3 from one time Italian giants Roma - complete with obligatory Fulham red card, Schwarzer saving a penalty and the cottage rocking so hard that the sailing club no doubt wrote to the council about Tsunami fears.

I'm sure that we will progress through to the knockout stages and things will liven up a bit when there is more to play for (pre-Christmas second place clash against Odense anyone?) but until then I think we can expect a bit more apathy.

COYW

TonyGilroy

Get through the group stages as we should whilst picking up some League wins and it'll start to look like a much more exciting prospect.

alfie

i will not give you any flak you are entitled to your opinion, but personaly i think we are lucky, was not that long ago we were almost out of the league, we have achieved some amazing stuff, yes ok it may be a bit of a 2nd rate european comp, but surely that is what the players/club/supporters aim for to try and achieve whatever we can.

If you are worried about injuries then you may as well pack in now, it is excuse the football wording "part and parcel of the game"

Last year we go to a European final, and i feel extremly proud of that fact and would love to do it again.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Chesh

Quote from: MJG on October 21, 2011, 05:14:19 PM
It's something to play for, why bother entering anything but the lge then, forget the other cups and we can just save our money.
Disagree, part of playing at prem level is to qualify for Europe, otherwise lets just have a street party we finished 8th.

Totally agree with MJG. Bottom line is this is the UEFA cup, and for me is a good by product of doing well in the Premier League. I would rather have a few years in Europe and end up getting relegated, than 20 years in the Prem with boring mid table finishes each year (what's the point?).

I feel now that I tolerate the over-pricing and over-hyping of the Premier League for seasons just like this one, and relegation battle or not, it's much more exciting this way.  
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

sipwell

I like the Europa League, if games are played fair that is. It brings an extra dimension and it allows the team to see the world (in a way) and the world to see the team. Perhaps you are a bit too used to having a wealth of games :)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Logicalman

I have to say, I tend to more sympathetic towards RSR inasmuch that if we don't make it through the group stage, I won't be sad.

As per another (heated) thread regarding MJ and Poland, given the managerial changes we have been put through since our last Europa endeavor (remember how long THAT manager was with us prior to Europa?), and the consequential upheaval and problems such changes bring forward, I would be happy for us to settle down this season, consolidate the team and players into a good steady unit, and concentrate on achieving a solid mid-table finish.

Then next season we can look to preparing ourselves for moving onwards and upwards. My only concern is that we seem not to hang onto our managers long enough to be in that 'next season' phase long enough to make it long-term.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: sipwell on October 21, 2011, 05:39:57 PM
Perhaps you are a bit too used to having a wealth of games :)
?????I don't understand the above,but moving on...............

I like to see Fulham play on a Saturday,I would like a chance of a trip to Wembley stadium to see Fulham,I don't want to see my team play some part time cloggers from the back of beyond,and for important players to get kicked end to end by some idiot trying to a be a "club hero".
Yes history was made in the Europa league but if we are still in the bottom part of the league because of it what's the point of a foreign  jolly away if the season after we are playing Millwall and Doncaster? that is not something I want to see,and droping down a league could start all sorts of problems for us, problems we may never recover from-ask Derby or Charlton about that.

The Europe league doesn't inspire me at all,an FA Cup win would though :54:

finnster01

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on October 21, 2011, 06:56:26 PM

I like to see Fulham play on a Saturday,I would like a chance of a trip to Wembley stadium to see Fulham,I don't want to see my team play some part time cloggers from the back of beyond,and for important players to get kicked end to end by some idiot trying to a be a "club hero".
Yes history was made in the Europa league but if we are still in the bottom part of the league because of it what's the point of a foreign  jolly away if the season after we are playing Millwall and Doncaster? that is not something I want to see,and droping down a league could start all sorts of problems for us, problems we may never recover from-ask Derby or Charlton about that.

The Europe league doesn't inspire me at all,an FA Cup win would though :54:

Absolutely Mr Rambler :clap_hands: . Although I believe that doesn't exclude doing well in Europe with the squad we have nowbut a trip back to Wembley would be fantastic. And you are absolutely right about the relegation bit. If we go down now, I don't think we'll ever come back in my lifetime.  :dft004:

That is why I am so upset about not having a proper manager who actually can do something with a club like ours. Martin "oh shite, what do I do now?" Jol is not a manager for a team like Fulham. It has taken him 19 games to figure out we can't play 4-2-3-1 and he still doesn't get it. Get rid off the bar steward and save the club whilst we can
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

aussierod

I agree with that last rambling, FA cup final would be amazin. I think the Europa League is a little disappointing as the standard isnt great (well from what we've seen this season, as opposed to the last EL run when we played and beat much more fancied teams) and I hate the fact that there's Tottenham, Stoke and Birmingham also competing. So long as we use the early rounds to blood the youngsters and not take it too seriously, like we've done this time and last, then its a nice distraction and some more opportunities to see the might whites and also other teams and countries
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

sipwell

What I meant was: as Fulham has played the qualifiers for the Europa League, you might feel a "bore" as the season turns out to be very long. We are only half way October and you (well I do at least) have the feeling that we have played more than half a season.  That's all :)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: sipwell on October 21, 2011, 07:19:16 PM

What I meant was: as Fulham has played the qualifiers for the Europa League, you might feel a "bore" as the season turns out to be very long. We are only half way October and you (well I do at least) have the feeling that we have played more than half a season.  That's all :)
that makes sense  :59:

michaelread

you know what they say, you never forget your first.

I really think its just because we all know we wont make it as far as we did last time. In reality, losing the final was dreadful for us fans. Apart from the obvious, losing a cup final, we now made winning the cup the only thing that could make us happy in this competition....and I, like many of you, don't think we have the side to do it.....yet.

Burt

I would prefer a great FA Cup run, as mentioned above.

With regard to Europe, I would prefer to qualify as of right (i.e. league position) rather than via the fair play.

But now we're in it we may as well enjoy it, and if we get through the group stages then I am sure we will start to get a bit more excited about it. I do admit though that at the moment it does seem a chore.

FatFreddysCat

Same as Mr Reid, we have to win it now or its a bit of a let down, but meanwhile i'm going to FC Twente with a few mates, it'll be a good piss up, chance to get away, so i love it .