watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Oh Good They Are Going To Change The Offside Law

Started by White Noise, October 26, 2011, 07:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FC Silver Fox

The article also talks about fair play and respect (Nunez anyone?).  UEFA's answer to respect in football is limited to sticking a 'RESPECT' badge on all players' and officials' shirts which is about as much use as....  suggestions please...
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

sipwell

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on October 26, 2011, 09:29:29 AM
'RESPECT' badge on all players' and officials' shirts which is about as much use as....  suggestions please...

telling Britons the EU has its use :)

I agree with your sentiment, Franco-Belge. They should work out a stronger punishment for cheats. The problem however is: where do you draw a line between cheating and smart playing? I mean: if an attacker is in a position to make sure his opponent is getting yellow or red (a mistake he HAS to make), is that cheating too?
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

finnster01

Quote from: sipwell on October 26, 2011, 10:27:31 AM
'RESPECT' badge on all players' and officials' shirts which is about as much use as....  suggestions please...

... I mean: if an attacker is in a position to make sure his opponent is getting yellow or red (a mistake he HAS to make), is that cheating too?

Mr Sipwell,
That depends entirely on what shirt he is wearing especially if Howard Webb is reffing a Man U match, and if Phil Dowd is the ref he'll just make something up that nobody else sees.  092.gif
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

jarv

Trial by TV. Simple, we have it now with players reveiving bans for red card tackles the ref. doesn't see. Just apply the same to diving cheats with one exception. make it 6 game ban. If the same player does it again, 12 game ban. It should stop it overnight. A bad tackle has always been, whilst not acceptable, but part of the game usually due to mistiming. Cheating has nothing to do with mistiming and is just not acceptable.

TonyGilroy

It's always happened of course - it's not just modern day cheats.

About 20 years ago I saw Simon Morgan collapse to the ground pretending to have been punched when it was clear that he hadn't been touched. 20 years earlier Mark Pearson did the same in a televised match to get Ian St John sent off.

Our brave and honest lads have never been beyond acting that way and that's without going into the diving penalty cheats - yes Ivor, that's you.

With today's video technology the solution is clear though. Let matches be reviewed and any nasty incidents punished by suitable suspensions.

SP3

which is about as much use as....  suggestions please...

A one legged man at a bum-kicking party :032:

FC Silver Fox

Further to your posts Jarv and Tony Gilroy, you don't have to look any further than John Paintsil against Stoke for shameful diving. Still, against Stoke its almost excusable as its better than getting a broken leg. JP got further punishment: told off by Uncle Woy and made to apologise. Good thing too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1098789/Fulhams-John-Pantsil-forced-say-sorry-diving.html

Also, is squeezing Yakubu's bits considered as cheating?   Depends if he enjoys it , I suppose.

John Paintsil Squeezing Yakubu's Bits
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Burt

Reminiscent of Paul Gascoigne's crown jewels getting a polish from Vinnie Jones.

Burt

epsomraver

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 26, 2011, 01:52:49 PM

About 20 years ago I saw Simon Morgan collapse to the ground pretending to have been punched when it was clear that he hadn't been touched. 20 years earlier Mark Pearson did the same in a televised match to get Ian St John sent off.

Our brave and honest lads have never been beyond acting that way and that's without going into the diving penalty cheats - yes Ivor, that's you.

With today's video technology the solution is clear though. Let matches be reviewed and any nasty incidents punished by suitable suspensions.

Being fair Tony,  all Pearson did was to fall  back in suprise , the ref assumed he had been punched, he did not fake it and TV replays showed that, I was in the Putney end for that one but view was limited, whether it conected or not the intent was really there, not a push on the shoulder that one!

Rupert

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 26, 2011, 01:52:49 PM

This man has just slagged off Morgs! Moderators, I want him sidelined. Now!
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

WHITEwitch

Oh dear now I have to explain the new one to all the blokes who sit in front of me.

*sigh*

White Noise

Quote from: WHITEwitch on October 26, 2011, 09:48:51 PM
Oh dear now I have to explain the new one to all the blokes who sit in front of me.

*sigh*

:005:

MrFantastic

and what can they change only go back to old rule, what else is there to do. Can't drop offside because football game wouldn't make sense anymore, there is a way the football game wouldn't make sense anymore and that is tank formation. A formation in which when your team gets the ball all your teammates run to the person with the ball make a close circle around him and slowly run in a formation to the goal at which point a person in front of the striker opens his legs and lets the striker shoot, all short people would be in front of striker so he could see where he should shoot. What could defenders do, they couldn't get to a player with the ball and there would be no foul on attacking team because they are only running slowly in a tight formation and that is it. When I played football in high school we tried that, we scored and ref said you can't do that, but there is no rule against it in football. Tank formation could be used in other team sports also there.
My friend has a trophy wife, I guess it wasn't first place.

TonyGilroy

Form a wall in front of the tank.

Have a few players spare at the side so that if the wall CAN get the ball one of the spare players gets a free run on the opponents undefended goal.

I worked that out without having a single coaching badge.

Dixie

Quote from: MrFantastic on October 27, 2011, 08:26:07 AM
and what can they change only go back to old rule, what else is there to do. Can't drop offside because football game wouldn't make sense anymore, there is a way the football game wouldn't make sense anymore and that is tank formation. A formation in which when your team gets the ball all your teammates run to the person with the ball make a close circle around him and slowly run in a formation to the goal at which point a person in front of the striker opens his legs and lets the striker shoot, all short people would be in front of striker so he could see where he should shoot. What could defenders do, they couldn't get to a player with the ball and there would be no foul on attacking team because they are only running slowly in a tight formation and that is it. When I played football in high school we tried that, we scored and ref said you can't do that, but there is no rule against it in football. Tank formation could be used in other team sports also there.
If a player from the defending team is prevented from getting to the player with the ball due to being blocked by one of the players in the 'tank' - that is obstruction. Indirect free kick.

By the way, I qualified as a ref about 15 years ago, but ditched it after a couple of seasons due to the ridiculous amount of abuse from players and fans - I am not even talking about contentious decisions, but obvious offences or totally meaningless things like the award of a throw in!

Anyway, after that, I became a bit of a smart arse with refs (exactly the sort of player I hated!) and the one that used to really annoy me was when a ref would blow up because a player had "not put a name on it". There is no rule (law) which states that you have to use a name when calling for the ball.
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Dixie

Has there ever been a match where they have tried playing with no offside?

How bad could it be?
Sure, teams would put Crouch up to goal hang, but the keeper still has the advantage of being able to use hands and you could still put a defender on him.
Surely it would open the game up by creating more space in the middle of the park? I would love to take part in a trial match where offside was ignored and throw ins could be taken however you want
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!