Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Through The Ranks

OLIVER MONGUEL

Defender

Time at Club: 9 Years
Height: 176CM
Weight: 70KG

Now in his ninth season with Fulham, Academy hopeful Olly Monguel is well placed to discuss how far the Club has come in a relatively short space of time.

The talented youngster has been with the Whites since Under-9 level and, having now adjusted to the demands and rigours of Under-18 football, Monguel has become an important member of Kit Symons' squad.

A versatile player, with a good delivery and high work ethic, he is also extremely comfortable on the ball – facets of the game that stand him in good stead for his future progress.

In his own words:

It's my second year as a scholar this season, so obviously I have a bit more experience now.

It took me a little while to get used to things, but now I feel that I have got to grips with the scholarship programme. It has been tough, and at times quite demanding, but I like to think that I have become a better player as a result. I'm more clued up as to what is expected of a scholar now.

There's no denying that this is a big year for us second year scholars, because it's the time when the Club make decisions about professional contracts. I try not to think about that too much though, because in some ways it can serve as a negative. If you're constantly thinking about it then there is a danger that you can take those thoughts out onto the pitch. You can't let it affect the way you play - we already have lots to concentrate on in a game.

This season I have been playing, more often than not, at centre-back, which is not an entirely new position for me. Over the past couple of years I have been a right-back, but Kit Symons has moved me to the centre this term. It's a bit of a change, but I've enjoyed it. I played there as an Under-13 so I already had brief exposure to it, and I certainly feel confident there. There is a lot of competition in the squad, so hopefully my versatility can stand me out.

I think my ability to play in a few positions is a strength, because I can also take up a position in midfield. I'm comfortable on the ball as well, which is always a good thing for a defender. I like to think that I read the game well too, and when I play at right-back, I like to get forward and deliver crosses into the box.

The Under-18s are enjoying a good season so far. Obviously we want to do well, having made real progress as a group in recent years. We've only lost two games so far, scoring 27 goals in eight games. As a team we are very close, and I think that shows when we are out on the pitch. We've been playing some really good football and have certainly shown what we can do in front of goal. There is more of an emphasis on attack these days and that's good to see – it makes games a bit more exciting.

A new First Team Manager always means a slight shift in the way the younger teams play. The Academy is quite reflective of the First Team because it's all about getting the younger players used to the philosophy and systems. Depending on how far some of us can go, it makes the transition upwards that bit easier.

Under Roy Hodgson we did a lot of shape and defensive work, whilst when Mark Hughes was in charge there was an emphasis on getting players forward more. Now with Martin Jol I would say it is more technical, as he likes his players to be good on the ball. The attacking emphasis is still there though, there's a mix of both, which perhaps comes from his Dutch influence.

Expectations are extremely high within the Academy now. We won our section of the Under-18 league last season, which was a first for the Club, and that in itself is a sign of how far we have progressed. The Academy is definitely moving in the right direction and it's an exciting place to be. The standard of players has also increased and there is a lot of quality in the team as a result. I said before that competition for places is high and that's another clear sign of the progress that we have made.

I've been at the Club for nine years now and it's amazing how quickly that time has gone. But in that period a lot has changed. It goes without saying that things have moved forward for the First Team, but the same applies to the Academy. It has come a long way and the facilities and resources that are available to us young players now really are incredible. There is a bigger focus on the Academy now, and that can only be a good thing.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/AcademyScholar.aspx?#ixzz1bxUtInXS

WhiteJC

Senderos aims to stake first-team claim

Philippe Senderos says he is desperate to force his way back into first-team contention at Fulham and hopes his injury woes are over.

The Switzerland international has been plagued by injuries since he was signed by former Cottagers boss Mark Hughes and was on the sidelines for 10 months after rupturing his Achilles tendon in training.

He has recently been recovering from a thigh injury as well but is now nearing full fitness and could be available to face Wigan in the Premier League this weekend, although he knows he faces a battle to dislodge Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes at centre-back.

"I like to think that the injury is behind me now," Senderos told the club's official website.

"Of course, it was a frustrating period because I missed the majority of my first season at Fulham.

"[But] I'm feeling good and I'm looking forward to the coming weeks. I've missed a lot of football and I need to establish myself again. I know the challenge that I face because the partnership between Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes is very strong.

"They are two of the best around and have done much for the success of this club in recent years, but that's what I have to do and I'm confident in my ability as a defender."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/senderos-aims-to-stake-first-team-claim-1320976.html?#.Tqjxt2DHo98

WhiteJC

Stockdale drops Town move hint
Goalkeeper David Stockdale has hinted he may be willing to make his loan move to Ipswich from Fulham permanent if they earn promotion.

The 26-year-old only signed a new four-year contract with the Cottagers in July but moved to Portman Road later that month.

The former York City goalkeeper has already been out on loan three times since signing for Fulham from Darlington in 2008, with Australian Mark Schwarzer the undoubted first choice for the Londoners.

With Schwarzer showing no sign of giving up his No.1 shirt anytime soon, Stockdale has begun to consider his future at the club.

Given that he has enjoyed his time in Suffolk so far, he admits he may be willing to make a permanent switch, although a lot would depend on whether Paul Jewell's men can earn promotion to the Premier League.

"He's [Schwarzer] a quality goalkeeper and he's going to be like that for a number of years yet," Stockdale told the Evening Star.

"I think he could have another two or three seasons in him the shape he keeps himself in.

"If that proves to be the case then you never know what could happen. I've signed a long-term contract there, but if we got promoted and the gaffer wanted me, you can never say never.

"I know it sounds bad but I'm not thinking about (Fulham) too much. I want them to do well of course, but I'm an Ipswich player until told otherwise.

"Don't get me wrong, theirs is the first result I look for, but I'm not thinking about them every day.

"I really like it here. The coaching staff are great, the squad is good and I'm totally settled and happy."

http://www.football365.com/ipswich-town/7267346/Stockdale-drops-Town-move-hint?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Wisla Krakow tickets

UEFA Europa League
Thursday 3rd November
Kick-Off: 20:05

Fulham's UEFA Europa League Group k match against Wisla Krakow at Craven Cottage is now on General Sale.

Note: all fans who have purchased tickets in the Putney End are advised that this stand is now designated as the Neutral stand.

Those wanting to relocate to a home area of the ground are welcome to do so and are asked to complete the online relocation form which can be found here or call 0843 208 1234 (option 3).

This relocation form must be completed no later than Tuesday 1st November (4pm).

On-sale dates

Season Ticket Holders: On Sale (Unlimited)
Members: On Sale (6 tickets max)
General Sale: On Sale (6 tickets max)
Loyalty points: 6 (more info)

As you may be aware, UEFA regulations mean that we are required to make special alterations to the ticketing arrangements for all European matches being held at the Cottage. To minimise the impact these alterations have on stadium access & egress, the Club have elected to house visiting supporters in Blocks H - K & HL - KL of the Johnny Haynes Stand. Please remember that the Putney End is now a neutral area for this UEL match only.

How to Buy Tickets

buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
* Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking. Tickets will only be available to purchase in person from the Ticket Office as of Tuesday 1st November (4pm).

Prices

NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 opt 3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/WislaKrakowHome.aspx#ixzz1bxW4wCKM

WhiteJC

Match Preview: Wigan Athletic vs Fulham

Well another game has past, another three points lost, and what did we learn? Well we need to score before the opposition does that would be a good start (it would also be good if we scored end of). Going into this weekend the team know there is already a gap opening up around us, and to stop us coming adrift we need to kick start our season, at home against Fulham.

This game in the past, has usually thrown up some boring clashes at home for Wigan Athletic. One thing that that recent Wigan games have shown is, that we can't play boring. So I ask, is a boring 1-0 not better that an exciting 2-1 defeat? Because at the moment we are getting the latter.

Going into the game, Wigan will be looking to come in after what was a strong performance against Newcastle away. They have been a hard team to break down this year, and on several occasions we forced their keeper into some excellent saves. So we must take heart from that.

On the injury front we have concerns over Franco Di Santo and James McCarthy. But are they really that big of a miss? Okay so Di Santo is our leading goalscorer, but all three have been lucky in one way or another, and apart from them he has very rarely managed to trouble the keeper. As for James McCarthy, a long lay off is needed for the player, who has really struggled to perform at his best in the past 12 months.

So what about Fulham?

Well they go into the game having only lost two league games, yet having only won one, and if you were to take out that win (a 6-0 drumming of QPR) then they would only have scored five goals this season, one less than us. Are they there for the taking?

Knowing Wigan we are likely to fall yet again.

Fulham also go into the game with a more or less full strength side, and last weekend saw their summer signing Bryan Ruiz score for the first time. They will be looking to bounce back fast.

So who do Wigan after to watch out for. There are so many good player that Fulham have going forward, all of who can score goals from anywhere. But Danny Murphy pulls all the strings for them.

The ex-Liverpool player has really found a home at Fulham, having joined in 2007. Murphy sank into the midfield role and now has captain of Fulham, takes control of the centre weekly. His long sweeping passes causes defences to look over their shoulders constantly, while his ability to smash a ball home from a free-kick or open play make him a deadly player.

Murphy also has a defensive side to his game, and tracks back well to cover his back for, before setting players off with the ball around him. Making him a tricky opponent for the centre of midfield. The best option you have to stop a player like him is to close him down, stop him from getting the ball at his feet with time. Make him make mistakes.

It will be a tight game, now way around it. Both teams need three points. The game is going to be won and lost in the midfield. Who ever comes out of the traps quickly and gets control of the ball in the middle will have the game.

Lets make sure that it is Wigan who get out quickly and attack from the outset. We showed against Newcastle that we can start games well, and play well and tightly for 80 minutes. Now we need to step it up to the full 90 minutes and chuck a few goals in too.

That is after all how you win football matches.

http://www.pieeatersfootie.com/2011/10/26/2511517/match-preview-wigan-athletic-vs-fulham?

WhiteJC

Opta Stats: Wigan v Fulham

Both Wigan and Fulham are struggling to get going this season, so are they about to grind out a sixth successive draw against one another?

There have only been 18 goals scored across the 12 Premier League matches between Fulham and Wigan.

At the DW Stadium, there have only been seven goals scored in six Premier League encounters.

Only one of the 12 Premier League matches between Fulham and Wigan has ended as an away win and none of the six at the DW Stadium where Wigan have won one and drawn five.

The last five meetings between Fulham and Wigan at the DW have ended as draws; no exact Premier League fixture has ever seen six consecutive draws.

Clint Dempsey has scored five goals in eight Premier League games against Wigan, making them his favourite opponent.

Andrew Johnson has also scored five goals in eight Premier League appearances against Wigan and three in four in Fulham colours.

Wigan haven't lost three consecutive Premier League home matches since November 2007.

Fulham have failed to find the net in three of their four Premier League away games under Martin Jol.

Wigan have lost their last six Premier League games in a row, their worst run since November 2007.

Wigan have scored just three goals in their last six Premier League games and only more than once in any of their last 10 matches.

http://betting.betfair.com/football/opta/opta-stats-wigan-v-fulham-261011.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham Target Nacer Chadli Agrees New FC Twente Deal

FC Twente have convinced highly rated winger Nacer Chadli to agree a one-year extension to his current contract.

Chadli was chased by English Premier League outfit Fulham over the summer, but the Tukkers always remained keen on keeping hold of the 22-year-old, especially after selling Bryan Ruiz to the Cottagers.

And the Belgian star has consented to increasing his deal to 2014.

"Tomorrow, at five o'clock in the afternoon, he will put his signature [on a contract]", said Twente supermo Joop Munsterman.

A further boost for the Eredivisie giants is that Chadli's deal will not include a buy-out clause.

"We want Nacer on a longer deal and therefore there is no clause specifying a transfer fee in the new contract."

Chadli joined Twente in 2010 from lower league Dutch side AGOVV and wasted little time in making himself indispensable to the team.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2011/10/26/fulham-target-nacer-chadli-agrees-new-fc-twente-deal/51514/?

WhiteJC

Premier League - Match facts: Wigan Athletic v Fulham

There have only been 18 goals scored across the 12 Premier League matches between Fulham and Wigan.

At the DW Stadium, there have only been seven goals scored in six Premier League encounters.

Only one of the 12 Premier League matches between Fulham and Wigan has ended as an away win and none of the six at the DW Stadium where Wigan have won one and drawn five.

The last five meetings between Fulham and Wigan at the DW have ended as draws; no exact Premier League fixture has ever seen six consecutive draws.

Clint Dempsey has scored five goals in eight Premier League games against Wigan, making them his favourite opponent.

Andrew Johnson has also scored five goals in eight Premier League appearances against Wigan and three in four in Fulham colours.

Wigan haven't lost three consecutive Premier League home matches since November 2007.

Fulham have failed to find the net in three of their four Premier League away games under Martin Jol.

Wigan have lost their last six Premier League games in a row, their worst run since November 2007.

Wigan have scored just three goals in their last six Premier League games and only more than once in any of their last 10 matches.

Opta

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/27102011/58/premier-league-match-facts-wigan-athletic-v-fulham.html

White Noise

FFC Podcast

On this week's edition of the Inside Fulham Podcast hear from Manager Martin Jol following Fulham's most recent UEFA Europa League and Barclays Premier League fixtures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

WhiteJC

Fulham statistics preview

All the stats you need ahead of this weekends clash with Fulham at the DW Stadium courtesy of EA Sports.
Wigan v Fulham, 15:00

Wigan host Fulham after their sixth successive Barclays Premier League defeat to Newcastle last weekend

•Wigan covered 108.331km in that game, and David Jones covered most ground for the second successive game with 11.831km

•Despite their poor run, Wigan have some high performing players in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index. Defender Maynor Figueroa and midfielder Ben Watson are the top two tacklers, having won 39 and 29, 91% and 81% of all attempted respectively

•Watson has also made more interceptions than any other player with 23

•Victor Moses continues his unlucky streak in front of goal – no other player in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index has had so many shots on target (17) without scoring. Moses has now had 26 attempts at goal in total without a goal.

•Fulham suffered a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Everton last weekend, covering 115.108km in the process

•Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey has troubled goalkeepers more than any other midfielder so far this season, getting 18 attempts on target from 29 efforts overall and scoring twice

•Damien Duff also continues to threaten the box and has put in 31 crosses so far, the fifth highest in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index

•Bryan Ruiz scored his first goal for Fulham in the Barclays Premier Legaue against Everton. The striker had previously had four attempts at goal in 123 minutes of Premier League action

http://www.wiganer.net/news/prev/fulham_statistics_preview_709232/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

Woy's wise words

He's still Fulham's greatest ever manager and continues to endear from The Hawthorns. here is what he had to say this week:
"The really worrying thing is seeing young children making obscene gestures when they don't know what they are doing. When I was growing up, watching Crystal Palace, you supported your club and cheered them on, but I'm not sure in those days that people even booed. The opposition were not there to be hated...Human nature should not astonish us, but what engenders that degree of hatred? I don't know whether we do enough to educate people to be more tolerant of the opposition, or whether society has changed to such a degree that it is impossible. Teachers are there to be hated, police officers are there to be hated.

We don't seem to have many public figures any more who command respect. The people we look up to, it seems, are sporting idols, and even then we hate them if they are not ours."

He does stand apart from most other British managers, doesn't he?

http://cottagers.blogspot.com/2011/10/woys-wise-words.html?

WhiteJC

Merseysiders jump ahead of Fulham in teen race

Liverpool are understood to be ahead of Fulham and Manchester United in the race to sign Wycombe's 15-year-old Jordan Ibe.
The schoolboy starlet has already broken into the League One side's first team and came off the bench in Wycombe's 2-1 home defeat to Charlton on Tuesday night.

But Liverpool have moved quickly to line up the attacking midfielder and brought him in for a trial at their Melwood training base earlier this season, where he impressed manager Kenny Dalglish and his coaching staff.

Scouts from Manchester City have also watched Ibe on a number of occasions this season although the Premier League leaders have not registered any formal interest in the player.

Ibe is in his final year of secondary school in south London and it is understood that the teenager is keen to remain at Wycombe this season because of the prospect of first-team football.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/merseysiders-jump-ahead-of-fulham-in-teen-race-1321714.html?#.TqlJcGDHo98

WhiteJC

Players desperate for Fulham game - Martinez

Roberto Martinez says he has faith his players can turn around this current slump and claims they are eager to face Fulham.
The Latics made a good start to the campaign but have recently been on a shocking run of form, losing their last six on the spin as they have slipped into the relegation zone.

Last Saturday's defeat to Newcastle means Wigan will start against Fulham in 19th place with just five points to show from their first nine matches.

The Cottagers are just two points above Wigan heading into Saturday's clash at the DW Stadium and Martinez claims his players are desperate to get out on the field to end their current run against their fellow strugglers.

"The way we want to play, we rely on the confidence and talent of the players and I don't think that we are going to lose that," explained Martinez on Sky Sports News.

"But we always need to create a little bit of momentum and probably that momentum has to start with a victory or a positive result.

"So far we have done really good things but they have been hidden by bad results.

"We know what we have done well and what we have to correct, and that's why we are so desperate to get on the pitch on Saturday."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/wigan-athletic/players-desperate-for-fulham-game-martinez-1321727.html?#.Tql5TGDHo98

WhiteJC

Tottenham And Fulham Both Chasing Top La Liga Goalkeeper

It has been reported this morning that both the Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp and Fulham's Martin Jol are tracking the Espanyol goalkeeper Carlos Kameni and could bring him to England as soon as January according to reports in Spain today.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is well aware of the situation regarding Kameni, who has played 63 times for Cameroon as he continues to search for a replacement for current Number One, the 40 year-old Mark Schwarzer, while Redknapp has made no secret of the fact that Heurelho Gomes is expected to leave White Hart Lane in the coming transfer window.

Kameni, 27, has been at Espanyol since 2004 and has racked up over 220 league games for the Periquitos, but he has yet to appear this season as he has had a public falling out with the coach Mauricio Pochettino.

Kameni was linked with a move away from Spain in the summer, but he could not agree personal terms with Italian side Roma so he stayed in Spain, but should he get the opportunity to play in England he would jump at the chance.

Reports in Spain say that Espanyol are prepared to let him leave, and may do so for free as he is one of the clubs highest earners, but Fulham and Tottenham may have a fight on their hands as big spending Malaga have also been linked with the talented Cameroonian shot stopper in recent weeks.

http://www.footylatest.com/tottenham-and-fulham-both-chasing-top-la-liga-goalkeeper/24844?#

WhiteJC

Team News

Martin Jol revealed on Thursday afternoon that he will be without Aaron Hughes and Orlando Sa for Saturday's trip to Wigan.

Other than a late assessment on the fitness of Philippe Senderos on Friday morning, Jol will have no further injury worries as his Team look to pick up a valuable away win at the DW Stadium this weekend.

"Aaron Hughes has a thigh injury and Philippe Senderos is now a doubt as he left training today with a thigh injury," explained Jol.

"Orlando Sa injured his hamstring against Wisla Krakow last week so he is unavailable. Simon Davies is still recovering and we're hopeful he will return at the end of November."

Fulham will look to spirit themselves up the table against Wigan and Jol will be looking for his offensive players to show their quality after a run of frustrating results away from home.

"It's crucial to get results away from home and we've been close this season on a number of occasions," said Jol.

"For example, against West Brom we picked up a draw but we created far more chances. But that means nothing because you have to get the result.

"Against Newcastle we lost 2-1, but we controlled the game in the first half and enjoyed good spells. However it's not only about being creative, it's about being efficient.

"I feel with the gifted players we've got in offensive positions we can be creative and adventurous. Against QPR everything came together and we need to try and do that all the time."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/WiganTeamNews.aspx#ixzz1bzrcTRfU

WhiteJC

Martinez reveals Wigan hunger

Roberto Martinez says he has faith his players can turn around this current slump and claims they are eager to face Fulham.

The Latics made a good start to the campaign but have recently been on a shocking run of form, losing their last six on the spin as they have slipped into the relegation zone.

Last Saturday's defeat to Newcastle means Wigan will start against Fulham in 19th place with just five points to show from their first nine matches.

The Cottagers are just two points above Wigan heading into Saturday's clash at the DW Stadium and Martinez claims his players are desperate to get out on the field to end their current run against their fellow strugglers.

"The way we want to play, we rely on the confidence and talent of the players and I don't think that we are going to lose that," explained Martinez on Sky Sports News.

"But we always need to create a little bit of momentum and probably that momentum has to start with a victory or a positive result.

"So far we have done really good things but they have been hidden by bad results.

"We know what we have done well and what we have to correct, and that's why we are so desperate to get on the pitch on Saturday."

http://www.clubcall.com/wigan-athletic/martinez-reveals-wigan-hunger-1321727.html?

WhiteJC

QPR target at loggerheads over new Fulham deal

MARTIN Jol admits Andy Johnson and Fulham are at loggerheads over a new contract.

The striker, who is a free agent next summer, has been locked in talks with the club with a view to extending his stay at Craven Cottage, but the two parties have so far failed to come to an agreement.

Fulham have offered the former Everton frontman an additional year in SW6 with a further option. However, Johnson wants a deal that would tie him to the club until 2013.

QPR are among the clubs believed to be monitoring his situation, but boss Jol will renew talks with the 30-year-old to try and persuade him to stay at the club.

He said: "We will talk to him again. I talk to him every day and tell him what the difference is between one-and-a-half and two years but he doesn't agree.

"He wants this year and another two years which is what we're arguing about."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/10/27/qpr-target-at-loggerheads-over-new-fulham-deal-82029-29673327/?#ixzz1bzsAma3e

WhiteJC

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes ruled out of Wigan clash

Wigan v Fulham

FULHAM'S preparations for Saturday's trip to Wigan have been dealt a blow after Aaron Hughes was ruled out with a thigh injury.

The Northern Irish defender, who has only just returned from a groin problem, faces a couple of weeks on the sidelines after getting crocked in last weekend's defeat to Everton.

Boss Martin Jol is also sweating on the fitness of Philippe Senderos, who has a thigh injury, while Orlando Sa (hamstring) is definitely out.

However, Simon Davies should be back in contention by the end of November as he steps up his rehabilitation following a knee problem.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/10/27/fulham-defender-aaron-hughes-ruled-out-of-wigan-clash-82029-29673549/?#ixzz1bzsQ9qSA

WhiteJC

Touch Of Class

Manager Martin Jol has stated that Bryan Ruiz' exquisite goal against Everton last weekend was just a glimpse of what the talented Costa Rican international can deliver for Fulham on the Barclays Premier League stage.

After being introduced after 63 minutes against Everton last weekend, Ruiz took just four minutes to open his account for Fulham with a stunning chip from the left hand side of the area to draw Fulham level.

Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard denied Ruiz a glorious brace before Everton broke Fulham's hearts with two late goals to snatch all three points at the death.

Drawing on the positives from last weekend's contest, Manager Martin Jol was evidently delighted to see Ruiz' quality coming to the fore.

"I feel that in our last match against Everton Bryan showed his quality," Jol stated on Thursday afternoon.

"It's not only about scoring a goal, or setting up a goal, it's about the performance and I think he's getting better and better.

"I feel his goal was a sign for the media and for the fans that he is capable of scoring that kind of goal.

"I knew that, though, and that is why we got him over here. He has got that extra quality in setting up goals and scoring them.

"It was good for him to score and he did what he had to do on Sunday. I knew that it would come but you never know how long it will take.

"I told him this morning that it would have been fantastic if he's scored the second from the second chance as well - you can't have everything though and he knows that but he's certainly a player that can give us that extra quality to score goals from midfield."

When Ruiz arrived in SW6 on transfer deadline day, Jol explained that there would be a period of transition for the Costa Rican international but Fulham's Manager now believes Ruiz is ready to start after proving his pedigree against Everton last weekend.   

"I had to protect Bryan at the start and I think he realises that," Jol explained. "There was too much pressure on him but he's coping with it. Even in training, where we've got a lot of English players, he's coping well. In a creative position, for a forward or offensive player, it can take time. You see it at all the other Clubs."

One point Jol was keen to clear up was Ruiz' actual position on the field of play. The Dutchman has evidently been frustrated that Ruiz has been labelled a striker, partly due to his exceptional goalscoring record from midfield in Holland.

"Bryan is a midfield player who can play wide," Jol explained." He is not a striker and it is a bit annoying that people over here think that he's a striker.

"In Holland you have man-marking whereas in England they play in the zone and take you from all sides. He didn't realise that and I saw that in the first few touches of his first game. He's an intelligent, international player - I know that he can cope in this League.

"In Holland he scored more goals than any other midfield player and if you ask people in Holland they can't believe he's not playing all the time, but they've never played in the Premier League. 'Welcome to the Premier League' is a cliche but it's a reality.

"All he needs now is experience and he's ready to start but I have Mousa Dembele who is playing in a similar position so I have to make that decision."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/RuizTouchOfClass.aspx#ixzz1bzsh0QIc

WhiteJC

Jol backing for Zamora
Craven Cottage boss also holds no doubts about ability of Ruiz

Bobby Zamora: Jol has told the striker he will miss chances in his career

Fulham manager Martin Jol has backed Bobby Zamora to respond positively to his miss against Everton and is also pleased Bryan Ruiz has started to demonstrate his talent.

Zamora produced a howler when the score was still 1-1 in his club's eventual 3-1 defeat to the Toffees at Craven Cottage last weekend.

But Jol does not think the striker, who was included in Fabio Capello's England squad for the final Euro 2012 qualifier against Montenegro, will be haunted by missing the sitter.

"He knows it is probably not the first time," said Jol ahead of Saturday's trip to Wigan. "He is a striker, so he will miss chances in the future.

"Anybody else up front will miss chances, and even from midfield. So I couldn't see any difference (in Zamora)."

Under pressure

Fulham have scored 10 goals at Craven Cottage this season and only Chelsea, Manchester Cityand Manchester United have hit the back of the net on more occasions at home.

But Fulham's tally is boosted by the 6-0 hammering of Queens Park Rangers and Jol therefore wants his team to increase the number of goals scored in general.

The Dutchman will hope deadline day signing Ruiz will help in boosting the amount of goals and so he was pleased the under-pressure £10.6million man finally opened his account against Everton.
Ruiz expertly lobbed Tim Howard just two minutes after entering the match as a substitute and Jol said: "I feel it is a sign for anybody else, the media, the fans, that he is capable of scoring that sort of goal.

"But I knew. That is why we got him over here because he has got that extra talent of setting up goals and scoring goals."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7269012/?