watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Goal celebrations

Started by BalDrick, November 01, 2011, 11:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalDrick

Players almost having penetrative sex with each other, or worse (were that possible), doing some choreographed dance or similar - am I just becoming a grumpy old man or are they getting worse? TBF this doesn't relate to Fulham as much as other clubs, particularly those from North London (or Woolwich), but it's really starting to get my goat.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Mitch

Have to say I've noticed it less this year.

Gareth Bale really went for the big one in front of the camera on Sunday, but unfortunately for him he missed his cue and slid at the wrong camera.

The Equalizer

What was Van Persie's right-arm salute all about? I may be ignorant, but it looked suspiciously Nazi influenced...
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: The Equalizer on November 01, 2011, 11:34:40 AM
What was Van Persie's right-arm salute all about? I may be ignorant, but it looked suspiciously Nazi influenced...

Don't start, it just takes away from the real problem of racism in football - john Terry

BalDrick

Quote from: Mitch on November 01, 2011, 11:30:54 AM
Have to say I've noticed it less this year.

Gareth Bale really went for the big one in front of the camera on Sunday, but unfortunately for him he missed his cue and slid at the wrong camera.

Got home from a long alcoholic weekend in Vienna Sunday evening, watched something recorded, then when that had ended I switched over to MoTD and caught Bale doing his thing, which was what really instigated this post.

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on November 01, 2011, 11:39:12 AM
Quote from: The Equalizer on November 01, 2011, 11:34:40 AM

Don't start, it just takes away from the real problem of racism in football - john Terry

Ha ha! Or Terry F**kwit, as us Viz readers like to call him.

DukeTyrion

I like the goal celebrations that the Icelandic team were doing, can't remember their name though.

They had things like a fish being reeled in and stuff, very silly, but quite funny too!

Found it;

Funny Goal Celebration - Fishing!!!

BalDrick

Quote from: DukeTyrion on November 01, 2011, 12:08:52 PM
I like the goal celebrations that the Icelandic team were doing, can't remember their name though.

They had things like a fish being reeled in and stuff, very silly, but quite funny too!

Found it;

No sorry, that's the type of thing I detest (though the player acting the caught fish was a nice touch I admit). Pure unbridled joy is what I want from goalscorers, not a routine they've spent time on, particularly one the whole team have spent time on. Watch the way fans react, that's how I want players to act. Plus a bit of respect for the assister, that's always a nice touch.

CorkedHat

In the 1950s when a goal was celebrated with a few handshakes and a pat on the back, Birmingham had a centre forward called Eddie Brown.
Eddie put one past Fulham one day and proceeded to shake hands with everybody in sight including the photographer behind the goal, a policeman and a gentleman in a wheelchair.
Eddie was also known to quote large tracts from Shakespeare during a game. I think opposing fans forgave his eccentricities.
But I agree with Mr Baldrick that  goal celebrations are now over the top particularly when they are against us.
098.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

The Equalizer

I'm frightened to think what would have happened if John Pantsil ever scored for us. I reckon he would have started running around the pitch before his head suddenly exploded.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

BalDrick

Quote from: The Equalizer on November 01, 2011, 12:34:37 PM
I'm frightened to think what would have happened if John Pantsil ever scored for us. I reckon he would have started running around the pitch before his head suddenly exploded.

Scored against us enough hey!

The Equalizer

Dixie

Quote from: BalDrick on November 01, 2011, 12:15:16 PM

Found it;

No sorry, that's the type of thing I detest (though the player acting the caught fish was a nice touch I admit). Pure unbridled joy is what I want from goalscorers, not a routine they've spent time on, particularly one the whole team have spent time on. Watch the way fans react, that's how I want players to act. Plus a bit of respect for the assister, that's always a nice touch.

You have got to be joking - that goal celebration is pure class!

When I was at University, we used to spend most of the warm up working on goal celebrations, we had some corkers although none as elaborate as those Icelanders.
During one match, the ref got a bit peeved with the celebration for that match which consisted of the entire team legging it to a corner flag for a massive bundle and he allowed the oppo to kick off when we were all still flailing around in the corner (including the goalie). Fortunately, one of our players who was a bit slow to react (to us scoring a goal), managed to tackle their glory hunting striker and put the ball out for a throw.

I've got a million more exciting stories like this one, just waiting for the opportunity to see the light of day!  094.gif
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Airfix

FC Stjarnan

Here's another one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRypTzB3Puc#ws

Airfix

I think the key differences that BalDrick is highlighting can be explained here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLCZZAheNSU#

BalDrick

Quote from: Airfix on November 01, 2011, 01:05:58 PM
I think the key differences that BalDrick is highlighting can be explained here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLCZZAheNSU#

Brilliant!

HatterDon

The whole goal celebration controversy started with Denis Law who had the absolute audacity to be pleased that he had helped his team. Most of the time he just stood with a raised fist while his teammates hugged him, tried to pick his pocket, looked for the size marker on his knickers, or tried to uncover his stash. On one occasion he was roundly criticized for holding the ball aloft and then serving it -- a la volleyball -- all while giggling.

When I first got involved in football in the mid-60s, everytime someone even acknowledged the supporters after scoring, old guys around me [old= 10 years younger than I am now] would grumble the Bedfordshire equivalent of "That Denis Law git has a lot to answer for."

The 70s was all about the other 9 outfield players kissing the goalscorer, which really went a long way toward convincing macho American sports fans that "soccer" was played by homosexuals and French people [but I do repeat myself].

Today? I hate the contrived ones [Dempsey's popping a top on a beer, and the various dance routines leap to mind], but really relish the ones that come from pure joy. Has there every been a better goal celebration that Duff's at home v. Newcastle last season? Also, as much as people deride the badge-kissing, what I most despise is the "turn your back to the crowd and point at your name on the shirt" celebration. Yes, I realize that it generally is in response to earlier barracking and "who are you" chants, but it kind of reminds me of my sister-in-law's alternate callsign: It's all about Me!

Last thought: the No Fun League started penalizing excessive touchdown celebrations a while back -- honestly? I think they thought that the routines offended their white upper-middle-class viewers -- and during the discussions that ensued, one former player advised current players to "act like they've been there before and expect to be there again." Works for goal celebrations for me as well.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

HatterDon

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on November 01, 2011, 03:21:58 PM
From 41 seconds:

Derby County v Man.City 74-75 season

Thanks for posting that, AFC. I remember all these guys well. I wonder if City fans moaned about how fat Franny Lee was in those days?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BalDrick

'Today? I hate the contrived ones [Dempsey's popping a top on a beer, and the various dance routines leap to mind], but really relish the ones that come from pure joy. Has there every been a better goal celebration that Duff's at home v. Newcastle last season?'

Concur 100% Mr Don.

I'm trying really hard to be objective here but it does seem as if Fulham players are generally a lot better than your Bales and various arsewipes of this world. Bebeto's (I think?) baby routine has a lot to answer for.