https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dont tell Sipwell.....

Started by os5889, November 14, 2011, 10:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15730496.stm

Belgium U21 2-1 England U21

Omar El Kaddouri struck in stoppage time to snatch victory for Belgium and condemn England under-21s to their first Euro 2013 qualifying defeat.

After four wins from their first four qualifiers, Stuart Pearce's side were pre-match favourites - and Martin Kelly headed them into a deserved early lead.

But despite dominating England could not add to their lead and Jens Naessens equalised from El Kaddouri's cross.

And El Kaddouri then sealed a barely-deserved win with a late low strike.

It is only England under-21s' second competitive defeat on foreign soil for six years - but it was not a result that reflected the balance of play.

The visitors stroked the ball around well and were always a danger from set pieces, one of which led to their early goal as Kelly rose unmarked to head in off the post from Jordan Henderson's free-kick.

Marvin Sordell then saw his snap-shot superbly saved by home keeper Koen Casteels before Henderson forced an equally good stop late on

By that stage, however, Belgium were already level after Naessens prodded home from El Kaddouri's centre.

And the substitute completed a remarkable turnaround with the late winner, firing home after a shot had come back off the post.

Still, England remain top of their group with 12 points from five games, four points clear of Belgium in second.

Belgium U21: Casteels, Ngawa, Wuytens, Mertens, De Jonghe, Musonda, Francois (El Kaddouri 60), De Pauw, Bruno (Naessens 60), Meunier (Angeli 68), Badibanga.

Subs Not Used: Coosemans,De Greef,Daeseleire,Cuvelier.

Booked: De Jonghe,El Kaddouri.

Goals: Naessens 72,El Kaddouri 90.

England U21: Butland, Smith, Clyne, Lowe (Barkley 90), Kelly, Dawson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Henderson, Sordell (Keane 77), McEachran, Ameobi (Gardner 62).

Subs Not Used: Steele,Flanagan,Dunk,Butterfield.

Booked: Smith.

Goals: Kelly 14.

Att: 3,000

Ref: Harald Lechner (Austria).

ImperialWhite

Speaking of which M. Sipwell - do you think Dembele might be playing tomorrow night against France?

RidgeRider

Since Belgium is just about the size of Rhode Island and technically should be part of France, shouldn't this match be considered more of an intra squad match of the First Team against the Reserves.  :dft012:

MrFantastic

Belgium will never be part of France or Netherlands  never, Leopold I would roll in his grave it that happened there
My friend has a trophy wife, I guess it wasn't first place.

sipwell

Quote from: MrFantastic on November 15, 2011, 04:20:39 AM
Belgium will never be part of France or Netherlands  never, Leopold I would roll in his grave it that happened there

Rather Leopold II. I don't think Leopold I would be bothered really. But your assessment is true: Belgium will never be part of France or the Netherlands. We will make sure that doesn't happen, regardless of what wheely-RidgeRider thinks.

As for the game, I was already informed of our glorious performance yesterday by a moaning Airfix. Apparently we used the Union Jack instead of the St. George Cross as flag of the opposition team. To make matters worse for mr. Airfix, I told him our best players were actually not playing (injured or not bothered since it is against England) :)

Dembélé is playing.
We line a future star team. France is of course an arch enemy...:
    Goalkeeper: Courtois
    Defenders: Alderweireld, Kompany, Van Buyten, Vermaelen
    Midfielders: Witsel, Simons, Fellaini
    Attackers: Dembele, Vossen, Hazard

No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

finnster01

Quote from: sipwell on November 15, 2011, 08:20:03 AM
Quote from: MrFantastic on November 15, 2011, 04:20:39 AM

Rather Leopold II. I don't think Leopold I would be bothered really. But your assessment is true: Belgium will never be part of France or the Netherlands. We will make sure that doesn't happen, regardless of what wheely-RidgeRider thinks.

As for the game, I was already informed of our glorious performance yesterday by a moaning Airfix. Apparently we used the Union Jack instead of the St. George Cross as flag of the opposition team. To make matters worse for mr. Airfix, I told him our best players were actually not playing (injured or not bothered since it is against England) :)

Dembélé is playing.
We line a future star team. France is of course an arch enemy...:
    Goalkeeper: Courtois
    Defenders: Alderweireld, Kompany, Van Buyten, Vermaelen
    Midfielders: Witsel, Simons, Fellaini
    Attackers: Dembele, Vossen, Hazard

That is not a shabby team at all.
I am convinced Belgium will qualify and be a dark horse at the next WC. Mr Sipwell will be happy.  :54:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Jimpav

I'm going to Mons tomorrow. Any recommendations Sipwell?

sipwell

Quote from: Jimpav on November 15, 2011, 10:55:03 AM

To Mons? What on earth for?

Airfix

Jimpav

Quote from: sipwell on November 15, 2011, 11:13:21 AM

My in-laws moved there this year to work on the NATO base. So far I have only been able to establish that R.A.E.C Mons are playing at home this week and that there is a statue of a monkey that is supposed to bring good luck if you touch it's head.

Jimpav

finnster01

Quote from: Jimpav on November 15, 2011, 11:44:31 AM

My in-laws moved there this year to work on the NATO base. So far I have only been able to establish that R.A.E.C Mons are playing at home this week and that there is a statue of a monkey that is supposed to bring good luck if you touch it's head.

Any chance we can trade the Michael Jackson statue for the monkey?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

sipwell

I am not really an expert on Mons. It is the birthplace of the man who might become the new Belgian Prime Minister. Tournai (Doornik) is a very nice city though.

Airfix

Quote from: finnster01 on November 15, 2011, 11:58:56 AM

Why not?  He was forever blowing bubbles.....

Senior Supporter

Quote from: Airfix on November 15, 2011, 12:52:00 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on November 15, 2011, 11:58:56 AM

Why not?  He was forever blowing bubbles.....

In that case we should get both, and then flog them to West Ham. Get Coat gif

Burt

Quote from: sipwell on November 15, 2011, 12:49:42 PM
I am not really an expert on Mons. It is the birthplace of the man who might become the new Belgian Prime Minister. Tournai (Doornik) is a very nice city though.

Come now Mr Sipwell...say it like it is...how can your initial reaction be "what on earth for" turn in to a statement that it is a "very nice city"...?

:dft011:

sipwell

Quote from: Burt on November 15, 2011, 02:23:42 PM
Quote from: sipwell on November 15, 2011, 12:49:42 PM

Come now Mr Sipwell...say it like it is...how can your initial reaction be "what on earth for" turn in to a statement that it is a "very nice city"...?

:dft011:

Tournai is another city than Mons, my dearest Burt :)

http://maps.google.be/maps?saddr=Mons&daddr=Tournai&hl=nl&sll=50.805935,4.432983&sspn=5.972162,15.150146&geocode=FeHeAQMds188ACn7jFemWEXCRzGQbE0vq5kABA%3BFYI0BAMdTcQzACnjO7JKGODCRzEwcU0vq5kABA&vpsrc=6&mra=ls&t=m&z=11