News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Who is the most despised player you ever saw (Live or TV doesn't matter)?

Started by finnster01, November 17, 2011, 04:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

For me it is a close call between Billy Bremner and Vinnie Jones with Billy nicking it by a very short nose.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

CorkedHat

You wouldn't be saying that is Billy played for us Mr Finn. No wonder they have a statue of him outside the Leeds ground. And therein lies the problem. Do we despise them because of the way they single-handedly demolished Fulham or do we despise them just because...?
I don't like Tevez as a person but you must admire his footballing skills. I don't like anyone who dives or play acts when tackled. There are a fair few of those, Nunez being the latest.
If I have to choose somebody it would have to be Roy Keane. Not only did he break somebody's leg but he gloated about it in his biography. To purposely do this to a fellow professional is about as low as you can get.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

HatterDon

The Argentine player -- Rachin? -- who literally kicked Pele out of the 1966 World Cup was pretty despicable. Of today's players, Marc VanBommel is 12 stone of complete trash.

And then there's the little Scouce spiv who moved from Newcastle to Shepherd's Bush. He's top of my list.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MJG

Apart from Mark Cooper it would have to be Dennis Wise, scumbag both on and off the pitch.
A right little snidey person.

FatFreddysCat

El Hadj diouff, Spitting on fans and players, cheating and mocking the injured Bitters player. Scum. As for Wisey, i stayed in the same hotel as him in Cyprus and he was a lovely bloke, no big time Charlie attitude. I guess if you're a black cab driver you might think otherwise.

TonyGilroy

It's a strange concept to me because I don't know these guys as people and they're just sportsmen.

There are people I know that I despise and likewise politicians for what they've done but how can I hate someone because of the way he plays a game.

MJG

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on November 17, 2011, 08:40:00 AM
El Hadj diouff, Spitting on fans and players, cheating and mocking the injured Bitters player. Scum. As for Wisey, i stayed in the same hotel as him in Cyprus and he was a lovely bloke, no big time Charlie attitude. I guess if you're a black cab driver you might think otherwise.
I used to live near the old Chelsea training ground at Harlington and you would find the chelsea players in some of the pubs/hotels nearby on occasions(9-11 being the most famous time).
Anyway one day at the Holiday Inn I ended up speaking to Wise & Desailly and I just found Wise to be your typical english footballer, obnoxious to the point of wanting to hit him.
As for Desailly found him to be a really polite and intellegant person(and built like a brick outhouse as well).
It was very much the little & large show when they were together.

LBNo11

...to despise is a very strong sentiment, I disliked chopper harris, and Jackie Charlton, and dislike EH diouff for reasons that are plain to see, wise, well I have met him too and would like to bury him in the sands at Morecambe!

No I don't despise anyone...

No wait - john terry, everything about him, including that he loves his mother and father...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Oakeshott

Roy Keane by a country mile. A player who deliberately set out to break another player's leg. Vermin.

BalDrick

El Hadji Diouf, Terry and Cashley off the top of my head, but there are plenty more
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Snibbo

Quote from: HatterDon on November 17, 2011, 05:38:57 AM
The Argentine player -- Rachin? -- who literally kicked Pele out of the 1966 World Cup was pretty despicable. Of today's players, Marc VanBommel is 12 stone of complete trash.

And then there's the little Scouce spiv who moved from Newcastle to Shepherd's Bush. He's top of my list.
Antonio Rattin it was. Got sent off in the semi in '66 v England. Argentina didn't actually played Brazil though.  Brazil were eliminated in the group stage, and Argentina were in a different group.

Player I disliked the most was Peter Storey. Thug of the lowest kind, and he ended up playing for us.

Travers Barney

King Crud...Just thinking amazing that no-one has put Kevin Muscat down and then see your entry....KM's career was littered with some quite appaling challenges.

We are the whites

We are the whites

jarv

I always disliked Roy Keanne and never understood the praise he gets. For me, he was Vinny Jones with an Irish accent. He never achieved the category of  " Keane is playing, must go to the game" status.

Mr. Finn, Bremner was an outstanding footballer. A hot head, yes. I remember a game at Fulham when he was a kid about 20. The Fulham players did their best to wind him up in the first 15 minutes. He was fouled multiple times, then retaliated. The home fans started chanting "off, off, off" Undeserved I thought. I liked him up to the point when he was banned playing for Scotland for getting involved in a bar brawl after a game in Denmark. He was the CAPTAIN and dragged 4 other young lads into it. Muppet.  fp.gif  They also were banned but I believe later in their career it was lifted.

Burt

My memory isnt what it once was but in one of the world cups from the 80s there was this Spanish keeper who was a nasty piece of work... Began with a B, and it wasn't bar steward (although it should have been).

cmg

Quote from: finnster01 on November 17, 2011, 04:25:18 AM
For me it is a close call between Billy Bremner and Vinnie Jones with Billy nicking it by a very short nose.

Interesting how different people view this sort of thing.

I always had a sort of grudging respect for Billy Bremner, he could play a bit (although his team mate Johnny Giles was both a better and a dirtier player). At that time most succesful teams had an 'enforcer' (Stiles, Burns, Mackay, Hunter, Smith, Gentile, Benetti etc.) of the type who today would have to, shall we say, rather drastically modify their style of play.

Vinnie Jones, on the other hand, was just a talentless thug, the kind of mindless bully who epitomised Wimbledon's particular brand of anti-football and who, quite undeservedly, developed into some kind of cult figure. It always seems strange to see the likes of Moore, Pele, Cantona appearing in movies: it doesn't seem strange to see Jones on the screen as I never considered him to be a footballer.

cebu

Quote from: HatterDon on November 17, 2011, 05:38:57 AM
The Argentine player -- Rachin? -- who literally kicked Pele out of the 1966 World Cup was pretty despicable ...

I think you'll find it was a Portuguese defender who "did" Pele.

finnster01

Just remembered the ugly Spanish central defender from the early eighties.
His name was Goicochea(?) or something like that. He "did" a number of players, including Maradona and earned the rather apt nick name of "The Butcher of Bilbao" as he played for Athletico Bilbao. Sort of a Vinnie Jones with Roy Keane's evil brains
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

GoldCoastWhite

Muscat came back home to Oz and the A-League so we could all get to see, first hand, why he was one of the most hated men ever in English football. I remember seeing him kicking our boys in his usual fashion whilst playing for Palace - in a pre-season "friendly". what an arse... But I must grudgingly admit he did have a bit of ability. Keano is another that I could never work out as I think he was a very talented footballer, trapped in the body of  psychopath ! Vinnie Jones = waste of space, Bremner, scary little bar steward but he could play a bit too and Wisey, massively punchable but quite a clever footballer IMHO.
Siding with LB here as despised is an adjective I don't use for any footballers that spring to mind but Keano comes closest for gloating about maiming a fellow pro.  096.gig