watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Kindle

Started by Gozorich, November 17, 2011, 09:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gozorich

I was given a kindle recently as a birthday present. Now that I've got used to it I love it. I've done the free download stuff and re-visited the books I read when I was young, or should have read, such as Dickens through Steinbeck to Graham Greene.

I want to move ahead now to today's stuff so would be interested to hear which books fellow FoF'rs have read recently and recommend. I'm open to almost any genre apart from Sci-Fi which bores me and anything to do with a celeb, A or  B list. :49:

cebu

I think you'll find there's a recently released book by a member of this board, Corked Hat ...

Burt

Hi Rich,

I have also been a recent Kindle Konvert.

I like crime thrillers, so the latest Lee Child (Jack Reacher) and Jo Nesbo (Harry Hole) novels have been downloaded.

For my sins I am also partial to westerns, and the Kindle store had a "26 Zane Grey novels for £0" offer which I took advantage of.

I also need to download Mr Corked Hat's book... This has been a good reminder so thanks for that.

Gozorich

Zane Grey...brings back memories of long ago... 092.gif

Quills

Middlemarch is always worth a [free] look if you haven't done so already.  As for today's stuff, if you don't mind a bit of non-fiction I've just read The Junior Officers' Reading Club on my Kindle and really enjoyed it.

BalDrick

Richard Thomson, Christopher Brookmyre, Ben Elton, Kevin Sampson (though not the football ones), Mark Billingham, Jonathan Coe, Colin Bateman, TC Boyle, Cormac McCarthy, Jonathan King, Stephen King, Ian Rankin.

Oh and the Andy Kershaw autobiog is absolutely fantastic.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

ClarksOriginal

I'm reading a lot of Orwell at the moment. Its quite eye-opening for someone my age. Nevertheless I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

lamby

I know sci-fi is out - and probably fantasy. But read Game of Thrones by George R R Martin. Best book I have read for a long time (and now a tv series) Sopranos meets Lord of the Rings. Great characters (don't get too attached to any of them.) Funny, clever, nasty, thought provoking.

Bad Science, by Ben Goldacre

The Slap, by Christos Tsiolkas

Shantaram, Gregory Roberts.

Life of pi

BalDrick

It's long but have a look at this thread - some really good stuff on there. Assume most of it's available as Kindle rather than paperback - http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=8913.0
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

MJG

While we are at it another good read on Kindle http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rifleman-Front-Line-Life-ebook/dp/B004TSCAB6/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=A3TVV12T0I6NSM
My grandfathers book.

On the subject of Kindle its a must have really, of course there are many ways to get all books free and I dont know how I'm going to read the 1000 I have on mine.

Andy_M

Have to admit I don't read many books, but I would recommend the last book I read which was 'Devil May Care' by Sebastian Faukes (I think that's how you spell it).

It's a 'new' James Bond book, and is Sebastian Faukes writing in the style of Ian Flemming. I thought it was an excellent read! Certainly made me want to keep reading, which from someone who doesn't read many books is obviously a good thing, otherwise I would have just given up and put it down never to be picked up again.
@got_maile

Burt

Just to add to my response above, any of the Mike Connelly works (Harry Bosch) are also very good.

A bit closer to home are the Iain Rankin (Rebus) books.

Gozorich

Many thanks for all the advice. I love the variety. Funnily enough I find Ian Rankin hard going, I think he tries to be too clever IMO. I do know Edinburgh and still can't get on with him. Yet my late brother read everything he wrote.

I reckon it'll take me many moons to get through half the lot suggested above! :wine:

sipwell

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on November 18, 2011, 11:25:06 AM
I'm reading a lot of Orwell at the moment. Its quite eye-opening for someone my age. Nevertheless I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Orwell is always eye-opening, regardless of your age. :)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

SP3

Quote from: sipwell on November 18, 2011, 04:29:42 PM
Quote from: ClarksOriginal on November 18, 2011, 11:25:06 AM

Orwell is always eye-opening, regardless of your age. :)

Have you read his short stories? Absolutely brilliant.