watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How do we stop Van Persie from scoring

Started by The Swan, November 24, 2011, 09:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Van Persie is in great scoring form. How do we stop him from scoring against us on Saturday.
The only way is to man mark him throughout the game. Man marking seem to be a thing of the past. Not many clubs use it. I don't know who we would use to do this, maybe Baird.
The Swan

ClarksOriginal

RVP could probably skin Brede, Aaron and Chris so I don't think Jol would use that, well in my eyes it would make sense not too, in Jols anything could happen.

Maybe a deeper line would make sense? we haven't got the quickest back line, two DMs to cover the back four might be an idea?

Maybe a 4222?

MS

SK   BH     AH   JAR

DM    DE
BR                     CD
         AJ
               BZ
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Nick the Swede

-"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

finnster01

Very good question and one I am sure Martin Jol is pondering as well.

The way I see it, we need to apply pressure when they enter our half and stop any service to RVP. Literally RvP isn't the only one which is on song at the moment, Song is too and his passes and crosses are excellent. Stop Song from singing and we maybe in for a shout, but given his form you know that RvP will get his chances. Hopefully he has an off day, but I think cutting off service is key.

Whether we can do that with our slow and ageing midfield is another story. Either way, it will be very interesting to see what approach MJ takes
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

elgreenio

stop the supply and he's like Rooney in that he'll start to go deeper and deeper and eventually out of the area where he can do damage. How to get him to do that? I dunno, £5 note on a hook and piece of string?

It's a shame we havn't really got anybody who can talk trash in his ear all game as he's got that aggressive streak in him and is definitely one of those strikers who will lash out and get a few sendings off.
touch my camera through the fence

Tom

Billy club to knee before kick off in the tunnel. That should solve that scoring problem.  :dft012:
Fulham for life!

Snibbo

Bring back Pantsman. He did the job on Dogbreath. He could do it on VP. :021:

Two Ton Ted

Lone gunman on a grassy knoll at London Colney?

Never ever bloody anything ever.

AlFayedsChequebook

Just play our normal game - sit relatively deep, avoid space in behind and make them play through us.

If you stifle Arsenal, they try to pass through the middle and can be frustrated.

The real way to beat them is sit deep, let them have the ball and then be effective on the counter. Unfortunately the latter is where we fall down.

epsomraver

then be effective on the counter,,   IF ONLY !!!

MJG

On this occasion i think we need to play two up...but we would need to add some pace in the wide midfielder areas because we are just too slow in getting forward with the usual suspects and the two up front would just lose the ball waiting for the others to get up to them.
I would go:
Schwarzer
Kelly Hughes Hangeland Riise
Dembele Baird Murphy Briggs
Ruiz Frei

Never going to happen but Frei would be a shock to their plans and give us pace and tricky feet up top just behind Ruiz. Briggs could try and play that Bale role without the last man defending role.
Or you just go with the tried and tested...
Schwarzer
Baird Hughes Hangeland Riise
Dembele Sidwell/Etuhu Murphy Dempsey
Johnson/Duff
Zamora
442 or 451

Yarden

I think he will be rested so will only play like the last 20 mins or so, gonna be a win on saturday, i can feel it 098.gif

alfie

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

BalDrick

Quote from: alfie on November 24, 2011, 12:48:44 PM
Walcot v Riise  interesting :032:

The tortoise may have beaten the hare but I can't see Walcott being that lackadaisical.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

sipwell

Quote from: BalDrick on November 24, 2011, 12:55:06 PM

The tortoise may have beaten the hare but I can't see Walcott being that lackadaisical.

And another word was added to my vocabulary!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

finnster01

064.gif

Oh dear, that would be similar to me having a workout with Usain Bolt...
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Burt

I think Tom's suggestion is a good one.

But given it may result in criminal proceedings, it will be a case of sitting deep, keeping it tight, and man marking him.

HatterDon

In the form that van Persie is enjoying, you can't stop him. You only hope that he'll miss -- he does occasionally. He's already equaled the record for most premiership goals in a single calendar year, and he's got 2 or 3 matches left to beat it. While ALL of his partners up front have proved to be donkeys at times -- Chamakh, The Russian, Gervihno -- it doesn't really matter because he scores anyway. And you can't man mark him, because, like Rooney, he covers 2/3rds of the pitch every 5 minutes.

By the way, if we start Fatboy Slim at LB, we're well and truly done. Walcot is finally starting to look like a footballer. Put Briggs in and leave the SS Norway in the slips.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ImperialWhite

Quote from: HatterDon on November 24, 2011, 05:07:28 PM
By the way, if we start Fatboy Slim at LB, we're well and truly done. Walcot is finally starting to look like a footballer. Put Briggs in and leave the SS Norway in the slips.

Agreed (with Duff or Dembele in front of him, I reckon).

If Riise was Salcido he would be getting crucified on FOF.