more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The View From South Texas – Arsenal v. Fulham FC

Started by HatterDon, November 26, 2011, 07:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

It Was the Black Shorts, Wasn't It?

Fulham displayed its most disciplined effort all season to play Arsenal to a standstill at The Emirates and to EARN a hard-won, and very welcome, point on the road. In a day of total team effort, it's difficult to seize on one player who "made the difference," but for me the central midfield pairing of Murphy and Etuhu deserve special credit. And, speaking of pairings, it could be difficult for Aaron Hughes to get his position back, so comfortable did Senderos look partnering the once-again amazing Brede Hangeland. And tha Big Aussie wasn't a slouch either.

Frankly, I was, in turn, very pleased and very dismayed at the starting lineup. I was pleased to see Bryan Ruiz out there. Arsenal tend to let you play [with one major exception today – more on that later], and I thought Bryan could benefit from that. He did exceptionally in the first half, nearly setting up Bobby for a goal as early as the 4th minute, and being a general pest in attack, in linking, and in tackling back. He's not 90 minute fit – especially in a barn the size of The Emirates – but he will be before much longer. I was dismayed to see JA Riise in the lineup. I widely forecasted his continued roasting by Walcott in the days leading up to the match. And the England winger did have Riise for pace on a couple of occasions, but the Norwegian's defensive positioning and poise when under nearly constant Arsenal pressure in the last 20 minutes, was superb. I may get some argument on this, but I think it was JAR's best overall performance in a Fulham shirt. And that's not even counting his part in our goal.

Fulham were lucky in Wenger's choice of running mate for van Persie today. Andre Arshavin hasn't been worth the cost of the gunpowder needed to blow him to Hell for two plus seasons now. I figured he wouldn't contribute much to Arsenal, and he didn't. I didn't think much of Djourou's starting at RB, but I should have. He was a defensive monster out there for the Gunners. I thought he was easily the best player on the pitch. He shut down Dembëlë, Dempsey, and Ruiz on the left wing time and again, and nearly opened the scoring with a point blank header directly into Schwarzer's chest.

And so it was interesting to see JA Riise make his only foray into the penalty area just in time to receive a sublime chipped pass from the very good Danny Murphy. I saw the ball hit the back of the net, and I wasn't sure whether it should be credited to our LB or our centre forward. The replay showed that we took the lead courtesy Arsenal's Belgium international. As our own Belgium international had two blockbusters turned away for corners, it only seemed fair. A quick point here. I fully expect to see the usual complaining about Murphy, but last week against Sunderland, he produced 3 or 4 achingly beautiful through balls to the opponent's penalty area. He's the only guy we can count on to do this sort of thing, and STILL there were plenty of posts in Fulham world saying he should have been subbed at 60 minutes. Today his vision and creativity, not to mention 90 minutes of a good central mid shift sent us home with something from the match.

Once we scored, Arsenal came alive and looked as dangerous as they have over the last two months in all competitions. They weren't prepared, however, for the disciplined defense they had to face. When they did equalize, it had more than a little bit of good fortune about it. After flooding Riise's defensive zone with three or four players, someone I didn't see, crossed to Chamakh. As has been the case for this Arsenal waste of a shirt the last 12 months or so, he missed his header. As a result the ball was free for – who else – Vermaelen to head in.

We had a couple of chances to win it late and so did they, but today Fulham reaped the benefit of having a veteran, disciplined team. After the lackluster draw at Sunderland last Saturday, I would have been pleased to get one point out of our next 9. We've already got it, and like Clint Eastwood's punk, I'm starting to feel lucky.

Since a good 6-8 Fulham players stepped up LARGE at one point or the other today, I'm going to shock the world and give Man of the Match to Marteen Jol.

Bring on Twente and the Mersey Butts. We should fear no one –  and COYW.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

couldn't put it better myself....................................so I won't :dft012:

ImperialWhite

I (may) have consumed too many of the old  :beer: :beer: :beer: to touch on specifics but I broadly agree with this write-up - thanks again, HD.

Ruiz - good
JAR - good
Baird- decent
Hangers and Senderos - decent/good
Dembélé - good
Etuhu- brilliant
Murphy - brilliant
Arshavin - rubbish
Walcott - good
RvP - good
Arsenal fans - knob 'eads.
Spurs fans - also knob 'eads, but broadly supportive of us ce soir.

Burt

Good post as ever Mr HD sir, thanks for that.

Keep drinking Mr IW sir, a useful summary  :dft011:

Burt

bigalffc

Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

sipwell

Great write-up! I am ever so proud of the first Belgian goal. The second one was, grumpily admitted, equally good: a central defender scoring a goal in an attack (rather than a set-play).
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Lighthouse

We need to actually score soon. Last three games no Fulham player has actually hit the net despite the efforts. But have more heart after today than I have all season bar QPR and City second half performances. So keep the proper strip. Playing in black shorts was just like watching Fulham again. How I missed those shorts.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

NogoodBoyo

I don't like complaining about officialdom's input, but I don't think Zamora was offside for his well-taken goal.  He really needed that as he seems to be suffering form a lack of confidence.  That vicious broken leg Henry tackle has dulled the late bloom in BZ's career.  That's so very unfair as we would be in a completeley different position had BZ been able to maintain the momentum he had before his break.  That sort of injury takes years to overcome - look at Johnson.
Nogood "singing tragedy, isit" Boyo

NogoodBoyo

Lovely report by Big D too.
Nogood "liking his stylo, isit" Boyo