watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Strikers.

Started by zzamora, December 11, 2011, 01:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzamora

We obviously need a fresh overhall of strikers- who do you want?

In:
Gignac
El Hamdoui
Luuk De Jong

Out
Zamora
AJ

Personal preference here.

Mitch

Think we'd be lucky to get Luuk De Jong now. The other two seem gambles, but then I appreciate we can't really expect to buy proven 10-15 goals a season strikers, so would be willing to give them a go.
Re Zamora, I wouldn't sell him unless something was seriously wrong. I think a lot of assumptions are being made by the fans and we should wait and see how he performs in the next two games.
I also think Sa needs a few more games now. He's physical and wins a lot of headers like McBride. In a 4-3-3 I'd rather see him up top than AJ who I think works better in a 4-4-2.

Oakeshott

"The other two seem gambles"

That is certainly true. And very, very few overseas players make an instant, or even early, impact in the Premiership.

Mitch

Gignac especially who has really been a bit of a one season wonder in France. Never hit the heights of his big season since.

zzamora

Quote from: Mitch on December 11, 2011, 02:09:18 PM
Gignac especially who has really been a bit of a one season wonder in France. Never hit the heights of his big season since.

Realistic Suggestions then Mitch?

Mitch

Depends where our budget is?

The Croat from Rangers, whats his name? He's a finisher.

Lambert at Southampton and maybe Rodriguez from Burnley.

zzamora

Quote from: Mitch on December 11, 2011, 02:27:32 PM
Depends where our budget is?

The Croat from Rangers, whats his name? He's a finisher.

Lambert at Southampton and maybe Rodriguez from Burnley.

Heres your scenario: we have sold AJ and Bobby for a combined fee of 8 million to Inter Milan. Thats 90k extra wages.

You have 13 million to find strikers.

twang

I hope the rumours that are linking us with Hugo Rodallega on the cheap are true. A proven Premier League goal scorer who is going through a bad patch this season, which is the only reason we could actually have a chance of signing him. Plus his contract is up at the end of the season.

Mitch

With £13 million for two, I'd go for Jordan Rhodes and then one slightly bigger name from overseas, perhaps a big bid for Loic Remy or Jimmy Briand the Frenchman? Big strong and pacy. Probably £10 million enough for Briand, maybe not Remy.
Actually, maybe Sow from Lille.

zander

Jelavic of Rangers is an interesting suggestion but would presumably cost at least 8-10 million considering they turned down 7 or 8 million from Leicester in the summer. Personally feel it would be a reach at that price.

ElissonSnygg

Gignac would be a pleasant buy. Actually I would like to have Altidore as well, but thats a long shot i guess.
Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

ScalleysDad

Whoever, whenever and however a new strike force comes about they will have to be able to hit the ground running, and indeed the back of the net. Too many new signings take an age to make any impact or 'get it' and with the exceptions of Ruiz, who seems to have been fast tracked, and Riise who is a mystery, none of the Jol signings have really had the chance to settle and establish. If we are going to lose any of the forwards, specifically the No.9 role, the replacement has to want to come, taking into account our curent form, and embrace the Jol philosophy. That narrows options down quite a bit. Down to one actually.

FulhamMic

Keeping Zamora and adding Gignac would be a highly successful January in my opinion.

zander

If its a case of losing some of our existing strikers i.e AJ and Zamora and replacing them then doing all that in January would be a long shot in my opinion. Granted that neither have really been productive this year but the odds of getting it right with new signings in the few months after christmas are too short.

Mitch

I think unless there really is a story behind the Zamora rumours then it'll be AJ to go. Three weeks to sign a contract or he can sign a pre-contract agreement for a free with another club. I reckon someone will be desperate enough to take him off of our hands in January for a few million.

RidgeRider

Quote from: Mitch on December 11, 2011, 03:34:02 PM
I think unless there really is a story behind the Zamora rumours then it'll be AJ to go. Three weeks to sign a contract or he can sign a pre-contract agreement for a free with another club. I reckon someone will be desperate enough to take him off of our hands in January for a few million.

It seems plausible that the Zamora stuff is paper talk and Jol may really be saving him for Odense and three points against Bolton since he clearly had a knock in the Liverpool match.

TWFL

I'll through a name out there: Papiss Demba Cisse. Especially if you want a big pacey all round striker...
But that'd be a bit of a reach, we could go for someone like Maynard
And I like the idea of Jordan Rhodes, he'd be hungry for goals..

ImperialWhite

Unfair, I think.

Even in his "bad" seasons following his wonder season at TFC he's always scored double figures.

Mitch

Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 11, 2011, 03:48:01 PM

Unfair, I think.

Even in his "bad" seasons following his wonder season at TFC he's always scored double figures.

I'm not knocking him, I like him as a player, but I just think it'd be a gamble as even Ruiz etc who have scored LOADS in other leagues don't always come off. That said, i don't think Cantona ever had the best scoring record and look at what he did.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Mitch on December 11, 2011, 03:34:02 PM

And R.R
The Zamorra rumours are becoming more of a saga nowadays so I think there is some discord in the camp. Previous rumours of a similar nature in the past would have been aired and quoshed by now. The most recent BZ performances have not been worthy of the shirt and when he was dragged off last week there were no high fives, nods or even a courteous word. I have some sympathy with BZ on this as we are not playing to his game and he is frequently isolated in the new Jol mish mash. Does BZ suspect Jol is making him look average. I know ex players will say players don't like being substituted but the whole body language and atmosphere in the dug out area when BZ took his seat was different, almost tense. The BZ goal against Blackpool, a centre forwards goal, is a very distant memory
If AJ was going to commit he would have surely had the odd moment of inspiration by now. A prem hat trick, goals in Europa and constant support from the crowd. AJ and BZ are obviously mates, as seen in goal celebrations, so I hope they are not looking to gang up on the Club knowing that they will find options elsewhere.