Main Menu

Strikers.

Started by zzamora, December 11, 2011, 01:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Mitch on December 11, 2011, 03:50:45 PM
Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 11, 2011, 03:48:01 PM
Quote from: Mitch on December 11, 2011, 02:09:18 PM
Gignac especially who has really been a bit of a one season wonder in France. Never hit the heights of his big season since.

Unfair, I think.

Even in his "bad" seasons following his wonder season at TFC he's always scored double figures.

I'm not knocking him, I like him as a player, but I just think it'd be a gamble as even Ruiz etc who have scored LOADS in other leagues don't always come off. That said, i don't think Cantona ever had the best scoring record and look at what he did.

I agree that Gignac would be a gamble. Expensive for sure.

HatterDon

Quote from: zzamora on December 11, 2011, 01:31:44 PM
We obviously need a fresh overhall of strikers- who do you want?

In:
Gignac
El Hamdoui
Luuk De Jong

Out
Zamora
AJ

Personal preference here.

Considering how long it took Ruiz to get up to Premiership pace, I don't know how wise it would be to have our ENTIRE strike force taking two-three months to get -- literally -- up to speed.

Thanks for letting an old guy comment on this thread, by the way.  092.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RidgeRider

Quote from: ScalleysDad on December 11, 2011, 03:57:16 PM
Quote from: Mitch on December 11, 2011, 03:34:02 PM
I think unless there really is a story behind the Zamora rumours then it'll be AJ to go. Three weeks to sign a contract or he can sign a pre-contract agreement for a free with another club. I reckon someone will be desperate enough to take him off of our hands in January for a few million.

And R.R
The Zamorra rumours are becoming more of a saga nowadays so I think there is some discord in the camp. Previous rumours of a similar nature in the past would have been aired and quoshed by now. The most recent BZ performances have not been worthy of the shirt and when he was dragged off last week there were no high fives, nods or even a courteous word. I have some sympathy with BZ on this as we are not playing to his game and he is frequently isolated in the new Jol mish mash. Does BZ suspect Jol is making him look average. I know ex players will say players don't like being substituted but the whole body language and atmosphere in the dug out area when BZ took his seat was different, almost tense. The BZ goal against Blackpool, a centre forwards goal, is a very distant memory
If AJ was going to commit he would have surely had the odd moment of inspiration by now. A prem hat trick, goals in Europa and constant support from the crowd. AJ and BZ are obviously mates, as seen in goal celebrations, so I hope they are not looking to gang up on the Club knowing that they will find options elsewhere.

Gotcha. That's interesting. With you being at the Cottage and watching first hand the body language it is much more telling so I see what you are saying. Jol may still have been saving him but perhaps in that he was sending a message to the team at the same time. I love BZ so I REALLY hope those two sort it. out.

RidgeRider

Quote from: HatterDon on December 11, 2011, 04:05:40 PM

In:
Gignac
El Hamdoui
Luuk De Jong

Out
Zamora
AJ

Considering how long it took Ruiz to get up to Premiership pace, I don't know how wise it would be to have our ENTIRE strike force taking two-three months to get -- literally -- up to speed.

and its nice to see the old guy putting in his part time hours.  :dft012: How you feeling?

HatterDon

Quote from: RidgeRider on December 11, 2011, 04:08:55 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on December 11, 2011, 04:05:40 PM

In:
Gignac
El Hamdoui
Luuk De Jong

Out
Zamora
AJ

and its nice to see the old guy putting in his part time hours.  :dft012: How you feeling?

Doing well, Mad Jack. Trying to slow the pace a bit. Thanks for asking.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

luckykat

I doubt there's anyone willing to pay a decent fee for BZ given he never seems to be fully fit. Keep him, sell AJ, and bring in Cignac on loan with a clause to buy. Plus, if there's enough in the kitty, get Maynard.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: luckykat on December 11, 2011, 04:24:00 PM
I doubt there's anyone willing to pay a decent fee for BZ given he never seems to be fully fit. Keep him, sell AJ, and bring in Cignac on loan with a clause to buy. Plus, if there's enough in the kitty, get Maynard.

Maynard is a big fish in a smallish pond and will probably want to go straight into a starting slot were he to leave. City are up and down at the moment and my eye witness says he was average yesterday but a good fit for a 4.3.3. Maybe a summer signing but come January we need a goal scorer or a change of heart and application from existing personnel.

Mitch

Does Maynard not suit more the Dembele/Ruiz/Dempsey role that we are blessed with (same story for Sinclair) rather than the out and out striker that we need to cover for/replace Bobby?

MJG

No maynard is an out and out striker and more AJ than BZ.
He plays off the last defender and picks up scraps. He has an eye for goal and at the moment the city fan I know says he is playing out time on his cotract and not looking to get injured.
I would like him, Rhodes and another striker brought in. It mean off loading Bobby and Andy but im at the point where the two have done their time and it needs an overhaul.

Mitch

That's good, but would that fit in with 4-3-3 - AJ for me doesn't work as the top man in that formation, so if he is more similar to AJ, then it'd be a no, but if he's more of an all round striker, then why not.

DevonFFC

I personally think what with all this talk of unrest within our squad that jol and the management team will have already been looking around and it's his first season so you can't really walk into a team and have a complete overhaul before seeing what you have taken on, so I do thin there will be signings in January and a few will be leaving us... Am I peased yes because we need freshening up, move away from what we have known for to long and inject some youth, flair, pace and a little aggression into this team!

IN JOL I TRUST

ScalleysDad

Quote from: MJG on December 11, 2011, 05:50:07 PM
No maynard is an out and out striker and more AJ than BZ.
He plays off the last defender and picks up scraps. He has an eye for goal and at the moment the city fan I know says he is playing out time on his cotract and not looking to get injured.
I would like him, Rhodes and another striker brought in. It mean off loading Bobby and Andy but im at the point where the two have done their time and it needs an overhaul.

"playing out time" or "average". Either way not selling himself very well which is a shame although I appreciate the injury aspect. Who in their right mind would buy a crocked striker ????????????????

Mitch

I think he means he is saving himself from being injured and therefore failing any medical in January.

jarv

Strikers? That's a tough one. You never know who is going to come good and when.
Saha, failed at Newcastle but was fantastic at Fulham.
Ba? why, why , why was Fulham not in for him. He was good last season, even playing for west ham, a relegated team.
BZ, has had 2 great seasons with us, no guarantees now.

Fulham have relied on BZ and Demps for 2 seasons. Need more goals from others, more support going forward, more players getting in the box. Mr. Jol's job (again). 075.gif

Maybe we can get Torres on a free. :005: and turn his career around.

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: Mitch on December 11, 2011, 02:46:55 PM
With £13 million for two, I'd go for Jordan Rhodes and then one slightly bigger name from overseas, perhaps a big bid for Loic Remy or Jimmy Briand the Frenchman? Big strong and pacy. Probably £10 million enough for Briand, maybe not Remy.
Actually, maybe Sow from Lille.

£10m should be enough for Briand, but no way near enough for Loic. He moved to Marseille for €18m 2 seasons ago and if anything has gone up in value.

Sow is linked with Liverpool heavily at the mo, and I cant see him choosing us over them for some reason.

And the Croat from Rangers is Nikala/Nikita (?) Jelavic, who Rangers turned down a £9m bid in the summer.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

Mitch

I'd love Sow - he scored again last night.

Remy is just my wet FIFA dream!!

Ordar

Personally I'd give Maynard a shot in the Prem. Having watched him play several times there's just something about him. Very much a natural goalscorer.

Gignac would be nice on loan, but there's zero chance of us picking up his wages.

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: Ordar on December 12, 2011, 01:54:14 PM
Personally I'd give Maynard a shot in the Prem. Having watched him play several times there's just something about him. Very much a natural goalscorer.

Gignac would be nice on loan, but there's zero chance of us picking up his wages.

40k a week.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: Mitch on December 12, 2011, 01:35:44 PM
I'd love Sow - he scored again last night.

Remy is just my wet FIFA dream!!

Haha! I've got Remy in my UT, he is amazing. 150 goals in 80 online matches.
Looking forward to an inform Bafetimbi Gomis!
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

Ordar

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on December 12, 2011, 01:55:53 PM
Quote from: Ordar on December 12, 2011, 01:54:14 PM

40k a week.

I was under the impression Gignac was on something stupid like €150k a week!?