more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Q & A vs. Manchester United

Started by The Hole, December 19, 2011, 11:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hole

Hello all, I come in peace.

I am the creator of a Manchester United website called Stretford End Arising.

I am currently in the process of putting together a match preview for Fulham vs. Manchester United. Normally match previews on Stretford End Arising include the thoughts of an opposition fan(s) with the aim of offering a balanced view. Here is an example preview for the United's game vs. Newcastle: Match Preview: Manchester United vs. Newcastle United*|*Manchester United Blog & Man United News | Stretford End Arising

To the site owner and mods, can I ask several questions to forum members? A link to this forum will be included in the published article.

Cheers,
Andrew

RidgeRider

Go ahead. We have had other supporters from other clubs message board sites pop in with questions for our members for the same reason.

For the most part our members are pretty civil bunch but beware we have a few that may take a crack at United so bear that in mind. This site is actively moderated so you should find some good content to take back and we won't allow any nastiness.

Welcome.

The Hole

Cheers RidgeRider.

Here are questions:

1. What are your thoughts on Wednesday's game? What team is Martin Jol likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United's team will Jol look to exploit?
2. What are your thoughts on Fulham's season to date? What are your season expectations?
3. Thoughts on Jol? Is he the right manager for Fulham? What brand of football does he prefer?
4. Bryan Ruiz was bought for £10.5m, has he lived up to expectation?
5. Dembele has impressed so far this season, do you think they can keep hold of him?
6. Any youngsters to look out for?
7. Michael Jackson statue?

RidgeRider

1. What are your thoughts on Wednesday's game? What team is Martin Jol likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United's team will Jol look to exploit?

Jol will likely start the same squad as we did Saturday against Bolton except he may play Kelly rather than Baird at right back to provide better cover for your speedy wingers. United don't have many weaknesses based on what I saw against QPR but maybe midfield. If Murphy and Etuhu can play one of their best matches of the season, I think Dempsey, Dembele, Ruiz might cause trouble with AJ trying trying runs off the back 4. We are your bogey team lately so I expect a result. Team will probably look like:
             Stockdale
Kelly Senderos Hangeland Riis
         Murphy Etuhu
    Ruiz  Dembele Dempsey
          Johnson

2. What are your thoughts on Fulham's season to date? What are your season expectations?

Season has been a season of change, we are trying to get younger (and have) and play a different formation which has tested the supporters wills and we have seen everything from lousy to very good performances. With Europa League over for us, I think we will finish 10th, maybe better.

3. Thoughts on Jol? Is he the right manager for Fulham? What brand of football does he prefer?

For me Jol is hard to love on a personal basis, however you will find mixed feelings on him but most back him. I think he has the right idea on where we need to go, question remains whether he has the hearts and minds of the players. I like what he is doing so I back him and think he is the right guy for us to move forward as a club.

He has now. Its taken him a bit to get used to the Prem but he'll come good and the reasons we got him are starting to show. He will bang one in against United. You heard it here first.

5. Dembele has impressed so far this season, do you think they can keep hold of him?

Hope so but he will move on at the right price. He wants to play for a bigger club so we will lose him eventually.

Karim Frei may end up a real star, Kasami, Gecov and Briggs along with Trotta and Stockdale are probably the future of the club at this point. HANDS OFF!!  :dft012:

MJ statue is a sore subject I think we are finally getting over. I'm interested to see how our members respond. I could care less at this point but I still do think it is strange. That is all I can say.

Lighthouse

The same loan forward with three attacking supporting midfielders. If We can use the Dempsey,Dembele,Ruiz enough in forward positions then we have a chance to trouble United. But the formation fails more times than succeeds at the moment. However United have a weakness at the back when put under pressure. Not that anybody ever has the chance to show it.

Poor this season. I expected us to be quicker to adopt and adapt to the managers ideas but a mixture of wrong tactics for wrong players in wrong situations means we really have only had a few good halfs of football and mostly when we were behind. Now I hope for comfort and a halfway finish. Before the season started I had hoped for top half.

Not sure if he is the right man. May have made needless enemies of some players and confused others. He likes the loan striker but we do not have the players to match some of his ideas on formation. Hence the confusion.

Was injured and unfit when he came so needed careful handling we are told. Now he looks good going forward and handy covering back. Will be a great player and I hope it is with us.

He looks great but lacks the finished pass and the finished shot. However he will be another great player. If we can keep him it will be great. But Fulham tend to be unable to hang onto the really top players.

Frei the young winger is superb as are a number of others. Our future looks good. If we can keep and mix and match the younger players into the squad.

I am of the opinion that Al Fayed has done so much for this club he can do what the hell he likes. But some fans seem to think it is an obscenity and clutch their chests and have heart attacks. Well let them put up the money Al Fayed has and they can take it down. Besides it is by the river so nobody can see it from inside the ground or on approach to the ground. So who does it hurt?

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Mr Fulham

I'm still not sure what our team can do. On a good day, there are fluent offensive moves with a solid and composed defence with Murphy pulling the strings as good as ever, on a bad day there is absolutely no structure with horrible defensive mistakes and no offensive showing. We've had some good games (the 6-0 against QPR and the latest win v Bolton) and we had some terrible matches as well. I can't see a trend at the moment so it will be interesting to see how we play v United.
I think we will try to do some fast counter attacks with a lot of through balls by Murphy, Dempsey and Dembele. We have some fast and technically gifted players in Dempsey, Dembele, Ruiz and Johnson, who tend to rotate a lot and create rooms for the others. I expect United to have much of the posession, but I expect us to play a good role through fast breaks, too.

Well, we've had some profound discussions about these very questions during the last two or three weeks. I came to the conclusion that we have to try to avoid relegation this year. We're in a situation were many of the older, established Premiership players, i.e. the likes of Zamora, Johnson, Murphy and Damien Duff, will leave the club in the forseeable future. Jol's aim has to be to gel in the youngsters and sign young, fresh players from the lower leagues and from the continent. We've got some decent youngsters coming through, for example Kerim Frei, Pajtim Kasami and Alex Kacaniklic. We're also interested in players like Nathaniel Clyne or Jordan Rhodes. That's what we should do.
Our season so far has been quite poor. Very few positive outings and many poor performances. Can't believe that we're currently 11th, really. But the league is very tight at the moment.
I don't expect a top 10 finish this year. 10-14 is the more realistic option.

It's a mixture at the moment, really. I think he prefers a fast 4-3-3/4-2-3-1-formation with a centre forward who is yet to be found, Ruiz and Dembele on the wings and Dempsey behind that. AJ has played quite good in the forward position, but I don't think he's the right player for that.
Jol is being criticised a lot, but I don't think that's justified. His job is not the easiest. He has to replace many elder players - these players are quite powerful and are obviously not that happy about their in-situ removal. I'm talking about Zamora. But you really can't see what's media-driven and what's Jol's intention at the moment. Situation will be clarified in January.

He starts to. He's a tremendous player, a top class player. His two goals were outstanding stuff and he will be a big big star - either for us or for another, bigger club.

Has he? See, I don't know if I should rate him or not. Sure, he's a flashy little player, a great dribble with a fantastic eye when it comes to passes and through balls, but he has absolutely no end product. I'd still sell him if the price is right.

I think he's overrated by the press and by many others. He's good, yes. But is he very good? Time to show that little bit of extra.

The aforementioned Kerim Frei will most likely be on the bench. He's a tremendous little player. Very tricky wide player who won a penalty after he came on late v Swansea.

Yes, there is one. I've heared that too. fp.gif

The Bronsons

We play better against better teams - our results against your noisy neighbours, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs (how did we not win!) prove that - so I'm looking forward to Wednesday. Jol will probably go with a very similar team to the one picked against Bolton. If Zamora's head and/or fitness were right I'd like to see him in place of Johnson up front. Man Utd are a team with too many good players to have real weaknesses, but I don't think your defence is all it has been at the moment, so I hope we attack and take the game to you.

It's been patchy so far. At times we look fantastic, other times we are embarrassing. The Europa exit was I hope a low point: we should finish comfortably mid-table, maybe as high as 8th, but there will be nerves and angst along the way and it wouldn't surprise me if we spend a few weeks flirting with relegation.

I'm not a great fan of Jol at the moment, because our once happy squad seems unnecessarily divided and unhappy, and I don't like the way he takes potshots at players in interviews. But I don't see an alternative, because we need some stability and Jol needs time. I hope that by the start of next season (probably after a few much-loved faces have departed) he will come good. As to style, at times our play has been incredibly negative; but other times we've been very positive and exciting. So the jury's out.

He looked awful the first game he played - slow, unsure, frail. It was like watching Bambi. But he's got stronger and quicker, and the last few games have shown us glimpses of what Jol assured us he was, so yes, it's looking promising.

Every player has his price, including Man Utd players (Ronaldo springs to mind). If dodgy 'arry comes knocking with 8 or 9 million I'm sure we'll sell; I'm less sure Dembele will want to go, at least right now, because he must know he's going to get more football here than at a big 3/4/5/6 club, and at the moment more football is what he needs. He's basically still learning.

Kerim Frei has looked the business. We have a really promising group of youngsters at the moment, which is one more reason to think some of the old guard will shortly be gone.

A bit like a bereavement. At first, disbelief. Then anger. Then resignation.

But even with the statue, our Chairman has been brilliant for this club, and if he wants a weird action figure in a corner of the ground, why not? We label our funny-peculiar, believe-it-or-not history "Fulhamish". The statue isn't Fulham, but it is very Fulhamish.

Irelands_number1

I always fancy us at the cottage against the big teams (except Chelsea), the Cottage is a real leveller and it takes away many of the advantages the better teams in the league have over a lot of the lower teams. I think Jol will stick with the 4-2-3-1 he's adopted since the Spurs game with AJ up top. I think Jol will look to dominate whats been a shaky centre midfield for United of late and control the game from there.

Its been a strange one to date, thrashing QPR 6-0 at home, losing games 3-1 we should have won (Everton and Tottenham), but our league results to date have been quite good apart from the odd away defeat against lower clubs. I still maintain that well definitely finish 8th-10th.

I'm not really sure what to make of Jol yet, hes a hard one to figure out? I think a lot will become clearer aftre the January transfer window.

He has that touch of class that separates him from the rest, he will be a Premier League star in years to come and unfortunately we may be just a stepping stone in his career.

Moussa has been outstanding, ive never seen any player go past players as easily as he does, his close control is second to none. Like i said about Ruiz its a possibility they could move to bigger clubs in the future, simply because theyre talented enough to play with the big boys.

Frei is an outstanding talent. In the season where Smalling featured for us quite a bit I said he was the next England centre half, I think Briggs is more talented than Smalling, although plays in a much tougher position but will have an international career.

Thought it was a wind up initially, but taking a half full perspective it will bring new people to the club who are potential new fans which is always good. Also 5, 10 year anniversary things could be a nice money spinner for the club if done the right way.

HatterDon

Here are questions:

You've taken one point at Fulham in the last three seasons. I think that we will take a point from you. Although Jol likes his 4-2-3-1 and Johnson led it beautifully Saturday, I think he may bring Zamora in, since the matchups favor us with our big guy in there. I would love it if he played at 4-2-2 with AJ and Zamora. The last time he did we put six past QPR. I think Jol will be looking to exploit the fact that you have England's CB pairing for the next 5-8 years playing at right back and center mid. You've weakened at CB with injuries, but I appreciate that your other choices at CM and RB are not as good.

I think we've underperformed -- especially in front of goal. A few weeks ago, I would have turned cartwheels if promised 16th or 17th, but things are looking up. We have to take care of business better at the Cottage, and I'm looking for that to start Wednesday. When we were 15th, Jol said we should finish in the top 10. After we beat Bolton, he said we could finish in the top SIX. I guess if we beat you guys on Wednesday, he'll be saying we can win SerieA and LaLiga at the same time. Me, I'll be happy with 10th and a trip to Wembley.

I would have preferred to stay with Sparky, but you have to support the guy in the room. Jol claims that he likes attacking football, but we've been VERY conservative on the road this season -- retrograde from what we had with Hughes.

He's worth the money, yes. Only Murphy matches him as a passer. Only Dempsey matches him as a finisher. He is very good defensively as well. His only problem is that he's a bit slower than your usual wide player. Those who thought we were getting a 20-goal striker are probably still disappointed, but those of us who realize that he's a creative wide player are quite happy with what we got.

We have less than half your seating capacity, and probably 1/50th of your income from merchandise sales. We ALWAYS have to sell. I'd like to keep Dembele, Dempsey, and Ruiz for the rest of this season and all of the next, but I think we'll lose at least one of them by next August. As Fulham supporters, it's what we expect going in.

Let me be the LAST person to respond to say that Frei is the next guy to break through. We have a very talented bunch of kids coming up -- Trotta, Della Valle, and a young guy we prised from Luton whose name has slipped my mind. I doubt if you'll see Frei on Wednesday, and the other two are out on loan.

It's slightly less mobile than John Terry and a bit less articulate than Sam Allardyce. It caused a HUGE load of anguish and controversy, but we all love our owner [we'll have to explain how that's possible to you guys, I'm sure] and we know that he's a little ... uh ... quirky. I mean he's sued the Royal Family for goodness sake. The statue is very embarrassing, but without Al Fayed's leadership we might be a Conference team and the Cottage might have been demolished.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Mr Fulham

The Luton guy Don mentioned is Lyle Della-Verde. Just to make things complete. :wink:

The King

Quote from: Mr Fulham on December 20, 2011, 04:13:47 AM
The Luton guy Don mentioned is Lyle Della-Verde. Just to make things complete. :wink:

Della-Verde came from Southend, we signed Woodrow from Luton.

ScalleysDad

Not an awful lot to add. The performances have been inspiring and embarasing in equal measure and the Jol in/out rollercoaster has no brakes on it so time will tell. As has been mentioned we do seem to have some good players coming along and that has'nt been happening for a while. Woy always used to say "they are not ready yet" and Sparky never really embraced the concept although he did offer shrewd signings. It would be foolish to compare our youth set up with the Butt/Scholes/Giggs conveyor belt but for us the future Club on the playing field is looking better than it has for years. As Jol is giving the 'yoof' a chance he has my vote at the moment. Down side of course is the angst over the od guard being phased out or sold. In a typical Fulham stylii many could end up in coaching/mentoring roles.
The MJ statue tends to be ignored these days. Its not even that good but Al Fayed can do what he likes. For 'proper' displays of heritage and history you need to be at the opposite side of the ground.
I'd say good luck wednesday but I would'nt really mean it so good luck Boxing Day.

BalDrick

Really looking forward to it; we do better against teams that play football than the err, shall we say the rugby league type teams. He'll try to play the sole striker with 3 in the hole behind him - not sure how easy this will be if we're on the back foot all game. WADR, I imagine most of your readers will agree that your defence is not your strongest point at the moment, so that really. Hopefully Zamora will be back, he usually gives Evans a torrid time.

One step forwards, two steps back a lot of the time. Hard to know what to believe from the media about behind-the-scenes personality clashes but now the Europa's out of the way (avoids making tedious joke I'm sure you've heard 1,000 times already), we should have time to work on the training ground on what is The Jol System. Expectations - get shot of some ageing (if not actually dead) wood, bring in some youngsters, finish about 12th and be ready to do next season what neither Hodgson or Hughes had the guts to do - rebuild.

Can't decide if I like him hugely but with our revolving door of the last few seasons, think there's a lot of once (or even twice) bitten. Seems to prefer a Dutch style that will look great when it works but I fear may have an element of le Arse to it in that there's not as many goals scored as the possession should merit - we shall see.

Just starting to - mitts off Fergie!

Out of contract end of next season and currently showing no signs of wanting to extend. He'll go in the summer, and in a few years he'll be regarded as world class.

Frei is different gravy but doubt you'll see him Wednesday, Kasami is good too but strangely hasn't even been on the bench for a while.

Words fail me.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

ClarksOriginal

I am really looking forward to when you lot roll into town, its always a different atmosphere when MUFC come to play, for obvious reasons. I think we'll do incredibly well to win, but I don't think it is beyond us, I'd be happy with a draw. I don't think that Jol will change anything from Saturday, don't think we picked up any knocks. Again, I think we will use a 4231 formation, with the 3 flaoting around. I think we'll go straight for the CBs, Evans isn't in great form and as much as I like him, I think Rio may have lost it a little.

I think this season we have just been very inconsistant, beat Liverpool - draw to Swansea. We are trying to adapt to a new style of football, but now you can really see we are getting to grips with what Jol wants us to do. This season, I'd be happy with 11th, blood the youngsters and phase out some of the older players.

I do like Jol, I think he is the right manager, he has a many good ideas, is good with youth and has a good eye for a signing e.g Ruiz, Grygera. He prefers a flowing brand of football, with wingers, which we had trouble adapting too, but I do think with the right players it can work.

Not yet, but he is getting there. He looks very comfortable and assured on the ball, he can shift his weight incredibly quickly and has a good finish on him.

I love the Moose, but as previously mentioned he is out of contract in the summer and doesn't look like he will extend. I have a feeling that now he is working with Martin Jol he may even extend a couple more years, especially as he can see we are trying to build. If he does go it will be to Spurs or Liverpool I think.

Kerim Frei - Very direct, can run at defenders , like a 17 year old Ashley Young, but hasn't got the quality of delivery just yet. I doubt you'll see him on Wednesday, but if you do it will be for all of about 5 minutes.

Pajtim Kasami - Really good start to the season, some of his decisions are rash - has a groin injury at the moment so is unlikely to play.

Matt Briggs - U21 defender, very strong and pacy, great getting forward - again unlikely to play on wednesday unless Riise is injured.

I think the garden centre want it back soon.... no in all seriousness fair enough MJ was MAFs mate, but a football club is not the right place for a statue like this.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

AlFayedsChequebook

I would imagine that the team will be the same 4-2-3-1 that comfortably took apart Bolton. No doubt we will look to dominate the midfield, which we have at times done successfully against bigger teams (Man City). If you play Carrick, expect him to be hassled a lot, he certainly wont be able to waltz through midfield like against our neighbours. I am not too confident of getting anything, but with our performances so afr against bigger clubs this season, a point is not out of the question, and if the players are really up for it, neither are all 3. Your toughest test over xmas I would imagine, and I know that Fergie will see it the same way.

Blowing hot and cold, although not as bad as my fellow Fulham fans might suggest. We have has some terrible luck mixed with some poor performances, but having the fourth best defensive record in the league suggests we will be fine this season. I reckon we should finish mid-table, although the next month of games will be testing.

I like Jol. He says what he means and often has a little joke (see. 'I hope Bobby likes me now). He is definitely the right manager for Fulham, but is currently having a bit of a power battle with certain players. He is the future, and the senior players are not, so no doubt he will come out on top. As for his brand of football - he is dutch and likes to get the ball down. A more attacking version of Hodgson's style which is gradually coming together.

Struggled initially, but has since looked great and scored two goal of the season contenders. If you give him too much space on wenesday, he will run riot. A class act - the kind of player that makes you excited before kick-off when his name is on the teamsheet

No, unfortunately. He will be gone in the summer, probably to spurs where he will become one of the best players in the league. I would love to get him to sign a contract extension, but with him making eyes at Spurs, we have no chance. Hopefully we will get £10m+ for him, because he is really worth it.

Kerim Frei, as has been mentioned, is very talented and ready to step into Dembele's shoes when he goes. That he has overtaken Duff in terms of preference speaks volumes about his ability. Briggs at LB is also a prospect, although his defending could do with some work. We have quite a few youngsters who are looking good below the first team so will be interesting to see if they break through.

Whilst it is certianly not pretty, I personally could not care less. Have seen it once despite sitting 20m away from it, and if we get some extra tourists in then it will only do the club revenue good.

Blingo

A question for you Mr Hole. Aren't you jealous of this website?

ffctom_b

It is going to be a hard game, but depends on what Fulham side turn up, the one that wants to plat football and score goals or the one that wants to goto sleep on the pitch. Having said that, there has been improvement in recent games and the side finally seems to be starting to gel. It's a home game, and to be fair, I'd fancy us to beeat most sides on our patch, although we have struggled abit in that sense this season. Jol is likely to field a 4-2-3-1 come 4-5-1 formation on Weds, hopefully with a similar line up as the game against Bolton, where maybe the only change would be Kelly for Baird as he has a bit more pace to cope with your wingers.
Likely team for me would be
Stockdale
Kelly Senderos Hangeland Riise
Ruiz Murphy Etuhu Dembele
Dempsey
Johnson

Hopefully we use the movement of the front four to expose a patched up back line for United, whoses defence is definatley weaker without Vidic in it. Also if United go for the same lineup as the QPR game, I am hoping that Ruiz could give Evra a tough time and hopefully Etuhu and Murphy can gain control of the midfield area as I feel this is where the game will be won and lost.

The season has been a bit stop start, with a new manager bringing his own ideas and I think it has taken a while for the players to grasp them, there arre a few games where should have got a better result but currently we are more or less where I expected us to be come this time. If Jol can add a qulity striker and a winger, plus a bit more depth to the squad, we can push on in the second half the season for a top8/10 finish and a decent run in the FA Cup. Without the distraction of Europa League, I feel we should be capable of doing just that.

Well, he is the man the chairman wanted, and he is obviously working to lower the age of the squad which must have been in his remit. If he gets the chairmans backing, then yes he is the right man for the job, but the squad does need an overhaul and I think he recognises this. He wants to play attacking football, and at past jobs has played with pacy wingers, something we have not got at Fulham at the moment, but given time and a bit of squad rebuilding we will get to where he wants us to be, I hope!!

Like any new foreign player, it has taken timefor him to adapt to the Premier League, but slowly the performances are improving, there is no doubt that given the opportunity, he can finish and I think he will continue to improve, but feel we may have to wait a while longer to see his full ability. As to living upto expectation, I was not sure what to expect, but £10.5m IS alot for us to spend on one player, so hopefully he becomes the player Jol believes he is and does not turn out to be another Marlet, which on current form is most unlikely.

If he continuees to improve and adds some goals to his workrate and play, then in a word no, we will not be able to keep hold of him. He'll probably move on in the summer if his form continues, although I hope not.

Matthew Briggs is the obvious one as he has played well when he comes in and has represented England at u21 level. Kerim Frei looks to have the potential to be a player that could terrorise full backs in years to come and has impressed me whenever he has played this season. Also look out for Gecov in the middle of the park, who I think will turn out to be a good holding midfielder with alot of energy, he has played well in the games against Chelsea in the CC and Odense.

Bit of a joke really, it looks more like a waxwork than a statue, but if the statue has increased our media exposure and helped generate some extra income to the club, then it can't all be bad!!
twitter @tombrowning1977
Blog ffctomb.blogspot.com

Mr Fulham

Quote from: The King on December 20, 2011, 04:57:22 AM

My bad, you're obviously right. Nighttime shouldn't be daytime, really. :down_under:

HatterDon

Quote from: Mr Fulham on December 20, 2011, 08:15:10 PM

My bad, you're obviously right. Nighttime shouldn't be daytime, really. :down_under:

At least I admitted I couldn't remember his name.  064.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Mr Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on December 21, 2011, 12:17:38 AM
Quote from: Mr Fulham on December 20, 2011, 08:15:10 PM

At least I admitted I couldn't remember his name.  064.gif

:011: