more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Re: NFR - careers advice pls from the forum

Started by Adam87, May 04, 2012, 02:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam87

jarv

Looking back, many years ago I embarked on a career in the computer industry (got in to IBM with 2 A levels). I was never a good fit but did quite enjoy project management with Xerox later.

I always wanted to work with my hands though. (Father was a flight engineer in ww2 and a motor mechanic).

I accidentally ended up selling ( I enjoyed the interaction with people) for a living and now have my own business.

However, about 8 years ago I attended a local trade school, one evening a week for 8 weeks on a carpentery course. It cost $200 and was the best 200 bucks I ever spent. Loved it. Since then, I have spent over 1000 on equipment and special tools and have made mutiple pieces for furniture. (hobby, but did make 2 wedding presents which saved me some money).

Point is, sometimes, deep down inside you know what excites you, you know what you like but listening to others can take you in a different direction. (My father said, use your head, don't get your hands dirty every day). Not sure he was right.
Of course it also depends on your academic level.

Adam87

Just wanted to say thanks to those that helped me in this thread and gave me some ideas about what to look into. I did some research on digital marketing and the future it has is very very promising, espcially if you are good with coding etc... however i would have to start at the bottom and more than likely have to attend a university course for 4 years, which for me at my age is just too long. I also would rather be on my feet rather than behind a desk - just who i am at the end of the day.

Green technology/electrician industry is something i would rather get into as i will probably have more of an intrest in fixing and building things with my hands. There is a local college in the area which does an electrician indtroductory course which i think i might go on if i cant get trained as an apprentice.

Its quite tough making a decision about what you want to do now, didnt think it would be this tough, whatever you choose you need to have a future in that industry so choosing carefully is an understatement. If anyone has any useful courses i could look into please post. Once again thanks for reading and helping.

DukeTyrion

Accounts never goes out of fashion ... when times are good, people are needed to count the money, when times are bad, someone has to keep a check on it. Doesn't have to be an accountant either, Purchase Ledger, Credit Control and Payroll all count the same.

On the manual side, good Plasterers always seem to be needed ... other than that, Train Drivers get paid a lot!

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: Adam87 on May 14, 2012, 06:34:27 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to those that helped me in this thread and gave me some ideas about what to look into. I did some research on digital marketing and the future it has is very very promising, espcially if you are good with coding etc... however i would have to start at the bottom and more than likely have to attend a university course for 4 years, which for me at my age is just too long. I also would rather be on my feet rather than behind a desk - just who i am at the end of the day.

Green technology/electrician industry is something i would rather get into as i will probably have more of an intrest in fixing and building things with my hands. There is a local college in the area which does an electrician indtroductory course which i think i might go on if i cant get trained as an apprentice.

Its quite tough making a decision about what you want to do now, didnt think it would be this tough, whatever you choose you need to have a future in that industry so choosing carefully is an understatement. If anyone has any useful courses i could look into please post. Once again thanks for reading and helping.

Hi mate, didn't see your previous question....

I have started at the bottom in a Digital Marketing/Advertising agency.... im 20 years old. There is no shame in starting at the bottom what so ever. In fact I would recommend it, you get the know the real nitty gritty parts of the job and the responsibilities that come from the bottom most part of the job all the way to the top.

Advertising and marketing will never die, its one of the sectors that continues to grow year on year.

I have been working in my current job for 5 month, I passed my probation early through hard work and helping anyone with anything. Since then I have been given a pay rise and a promotion.... the work is enjoyable and the people are so relaxed. There is not a day I don't enjoy.

Go for it mate! Nobody goes straigh to the top.... remember that. Good luck chap/
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

The Equalizer

If you're looking to get into IT the best areas are as follows:

Web Development
Programming
Networking
Enterprise Architecture / Systems Management

Support work is not paid much at all anymore unless you land on your feet smelling of roses like me, or you work in the City.

Alternatively, get your arse up town and become a futures trader. Loads of bunce in that if you've got the cojones.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

I've just started working on the railways on the platforms despatching trains and having the time of my life,decent wages,plus as much overtime as I can do,plus a very decent pension,plus free train travel on my own network(FGW) and 75% off all other train travel in the UK.Also it's a good laugh with loads of banter 098.gif

FFChris

I have recently been looking to employ a Mechanical Engineer.  If you are interested in Engineering then you should seriously consider getting qualifications.  We had over 90 applicantis.  Over 85 were from India and Pakistan (people looking for a working visa), three were from people over 70 still looking to work and 2 were quite good  (we employed one of these).  The problem with engineering in the UK is that the government for some reason continues to say that it is dead when in fact it is still booming.  As a supplier of mechanical components we had a record year last year and are continuing that trend in 2012.  The reason I say train as an engineer - the average age of an engineer in the UK is 56 years old and we need 'English' engineers.  I'm not being racist - just real.

Adam87

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone willing to help and offer advice. Will post in here tmoz. Thank you.

Adam87

Just recently being doing a load of research to do with green technology and taking lots of advice from different people. At this point of time its probably a no go area which is a real shame as i thought it had a decent future. One guy who is in the industry explaned that the contruction industry is tough going right now due to the rates been slashed in the sector, and costs going up. Shame really as i thought i would enjoy this type of work.

I admire alot of the people in this thread who choose "to do what they enjoy doing". I totally agree, i dont see the point in doind a job which has decent pay but is making your life miserable or unfullfilling. I mean the future trader idea suggested by the equaliser sounded great after doing a few days research, i always enjoy strategy and kinda gambling in that sort of way (online poker :54:).

I havent got the accedemic ability to go to university. Always a B OR C student. Besides i havent got the time or the ideal scernario to do that in my life right now unfortunatly.

The other thing that caught my eye and sounded really promising was having your own business online and marketing and developing it as much as you can. Helps if you have the right idea though... :023:. I would love to do something like that if i could. 

sipwell

I don't know how it is in the UK, but in Belgium they are in dire need of trained electricians. Even with the influx of Poles, Bulgarians and Romanians, the number of highly qualified electricians is too low. Some companies offer silly money if you have been trained as an electrician and willing to commit to the firm for a couple of years...
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

HatterDon

Quote from: sipwell on May 22, 2012, 08:21:45 PM
I don't know how it is in the UK, but in Belgium they are in dire need of trained electricians. Even with the influx of Poles, Bulgarians and Romanians, the number of highly qualified electricians is too low. Some companies offer silly money if you have been trained as an electrician and willing to commit to the firm for a couple of years...

your lot should never have laid off the rodents running in the wheel, and there went your cheap electricity. Mind you, I'm blaming you for stealing the Chief Electrical Engineer to wear on the back of your head.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Adam87

In the UK becoming an electrician is very risky these days, there is very few people willing to take you on, lots of stories of people who just cant find work. Im not overly keen on working abroad myself despite the money lure, but you never know. Over here though, i will have to keep looking.

finnster01

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on May 15, 2012, 10:03:39 AM

I have started at the bottom in a Digital Marketing/Advertising agency.... im 20 years old. There is no shame in starting at the bottom what so ever. In fact I would recommend it, you get the know the real nitty gritty parts of the job and the responsibilities that come from the bottom most part of the job all the way to the top.

Advertising and marketing will never die, its one of the sectors that continues to grow year on year.

I have been working in my current job for 5 month, I passed my probation early through hard work and helping anyone with anything. Since then I have been given a pay rise and a promotion.... the work is enjoyable and the people are so relaxed. There is not a day I don't enjoy.

Go for it mate! Nobody goes straigh to the top.... remember that. Good luck chap/

:clap_hands: Top answer!! Mr CO is spot on. I was homeless once. Didn't know what I was going to eat the next day, forget about a pint. Messed up in a big way. Slept in McDonalds pretending to drink a coffee until I got tossed out. No skills, just an ex-soldier who nobody cared about. I felt so sorry for myself it wasn't even funny. I would have killed for a chance to start at the bottom. I went to the library when it rained and figured out I may as well start reading something while I was there. Came across one of these government programs that, to cut a long story short,  eventually led me to get a spot at Uni.

The rest is history. I now run my own modest business that is modestly successful, brought me to the United States, found my wife to be, in short, a lot of very good things mate. But I have never forgotten what is was like to be a sorry sod frustrated with everything and everyone. That will never help and looking back I would say if I was less pissed off, I would probably have risen from the quagmire a lot earlier. But it is what it is mate, make the most of whatever you can lay your hands on, be positive and not negative, and more often than not good things will happen to you mate.

I applaud ClarksOriginal for taking what is/was on the table. One day (and it looks like he already is) he will reap the rewards for that. There is never a shame in taking a job no matter how small it may seem. A job is infinitely better than no job.

Good luck young man.  :54:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Mitch

Quote from: finnster01 on May 22, 2012, 09:53:27 PM
Quote from: ClarksOriginal on May 15, 2012, 10:03:39 AM

:clap_hands: Top answer!! Mr CO is spot on. I was homeless once. Didn't know what I was going to eat the next day, forget about a pint. Messed up in a big way. Slept in McDonalds pretending to drink a coffee until I got tossed out. No skills, just an ex-soldier who nobody cared about. I felt so sorry for myself it wasn't even funny. I would have killed for a chance to start at the bottom. I went to the library when it rained and figured out I may as well start reading something while I was there. Came across one of these government programs that, to cut a long story short,  eventually led me to get a spot at Uni.

The rest is history. I now run my own modest business that is modestly successful, brought me to the United States, found my wife to be, in short, a lot of very good things mate. But I have never forgotten what is was like to be a sorry sod frustrated with everything and everyone. That will never help and looking back I would say if I was less pissed off, I would probably have risen from the quagmire a lot earlier. But it is what it is mate, make the most of whatever you can lay your hands on, be positive and not negative, and more often than not good things will happen to you mate.

I applaud ClarksOriginal for taking what is/was on the table. One day (and it looks like he already is) he will reap the rewards for that. There is never a shame in taking a job no matter how small it may seem. A job is infinitely better than no job.

Good luck young man.  :54:

If that isn't inspiration, I don't know what is.

ffcitaly

I work for a multi family office,we invest in real estate and green energy.
I think renewable energy is a huge business for the next years.You have a huge choice between pv,eolian,hydroelectric,biomasses etc.
You can work anywhere in Europe,Asia or US.