watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey's body language

Started by Holders, May 08, 2012, 12:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Did anyone else think that Clint was looking a bit wistful and pensive as he walked around the pitch with his kids? Like it was his farewell.

Also, could anyone read what that banner in the Stevanage Road stand was saying: "please stay, someone...?" Couldn't read it from my angle.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Andy_M

It really is a tough choice for Clint to make. If he does leave to go to a big team in England there are no gaurantees he will get a game every week, whereas here he is the first name on the team sheet, adored by the fans etc. etc.

All it would take is a big money move to one of the big teams, a failure to score in his first few games and the fans would get on his back.

Totally appreciate the guys admission he wants to play Champs league football and for wanting to perform at the highest level and this is undoubtedly his last big chance to do so.

Tough tough decision if I was Clint, leave a place your adored and #1 man or stay and be a club legend...
@got_maile

Blingo

If he stays at FFC he will qualify to play CL next season ;))

Burt

Whilst there are many clubs that are bigger than us, there aren't so many that are better than us...

The only move he should be contemplating is to a club that will offer him CL football. And if he did that then there will be far more competition for him in terms of being a first-team regular.

As you see far more examples of players who struggle having moved on from us to supposedly better things, I really hope he sticks around.

sipwell

Quote from: Burt on May 08, 2012, 12:57:12 PM
Whilst there are many clubs that are bigger than us, there aren't so many that are better than us...

The only move he should be contemplating is to a club that will offer him CL football. And if he did that then there will be far more competition for him in terms of being a first-team regular.

As you see far more examples of players who struggle having moved on from us to supposedly better things, I really hope he sticks around.

Don't forget the financial issue. I'm afraid that is the most important 'stumbling block'. If a team offers him twice or three times his current wage, he might put the emotions aside. A footballer is only 'useful' for a short period of time and they need to amass as much cash as possible. A new Veyron after you retired is more expensive than you think!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

b+w geezer

Quote from: Blingo on May 08, 2012, 12:28:58 PM
For the first time ever that would be/ have been conceivable, so how extremely tantalising!

The picture is indeed eloquent and he's surely anticipating that he'll go, for reasons beyond FFC's control that also reflect no lack of regret on his part -- just that time is moving on, he'll soon be a Stateside retiree, and he's got to seize the opportunity while it's there.

I fear he ticks every box for Arsenal, age apart -- about which they've become more flexible of late -- and by his own efforts on Sunday he can help ensure they finish above Spurs.

cottage cheese

its a tough one, he has saved us soooooooooooooo many points over the years which i fear would have had us near the bottom had he not scored.

at times he is the only person who looks like scoring which worries me a lot. Noone else makes the runs he does and noboby has that heading ability like him. He is a massive, massive part in the way we play and losing him may create an unbalance in the team. I hope he stays i really do but in the case we lose him,

im praying to god we have a established player coming in..we cant afford for someone to take a while to blend in..we need goals from the word go

Reindeer

Pienaar left everton saying the exact same thing, went to Spurs and didn't fit in.  He's back at Everton playing really well.

There's a lot of competition at the top clubs and 1st choice isn't always guaranteed.  He will go and we will have to get big money for him. 

LordNelson

Unfortunately, the same drive and determination that has done so well for us will probably pull him elsewhere.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Holders

Thanks for the pic of the sign, it may be that which made him pensive.

If I remember rightly, he was a Coleman acquisition and we have had our money's worth out of him whatever we get back so we musn't be too morose about it, he's already stuck around a long time and had to convince a succession of managers to get to the position of one of the first on the teamsheet. If he does move on I hope it's to somewhere worthwhile and obviously that we get sensible dosh to invest.

The club obviously won't let us into their masterplan but say it goes something like this: "we need to grow organically, to control the debt and above all to survive as a PL team. We can benefit from selling on inspired purchases (Dempsey, Dembele, Smalling) at a good profit, still bring in good replacements and balance the books. At the same time the new stand won't come cheap but will increase the revenue stream in the long run (and maybe construction rates are depressed at the moment. Sensibles?" After all, Mo has put in the big bucks to "pump-prime" and get us here. Now we have to act like a proper PL business. Contrast with Portsmouth. Anyone old enough to remember the debate over whether we should build the existing Riverside stand or invest in the team then will get the point.

Holders

I have found the DDR (Dempsey, Dembele, Ruiz) combination magical at times and we can only imagine what it could achieve if continued into next year. I fear we'll never know.

HatterDon

I was pleased to see [on the youtube video] that he managed to make it all 'round the ground without falling down once.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Holders

Quote from: HatterDon on May 08, 2012, 03:10:11 PM
I was pleased to see [on the youtube video] that he managed to make it all 'round the ground without falling down once.

He stumbled a couple of times as he got near the penalty area but his kids were there to hold him up.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: b+w geezer on May 08, 2012, 01:10:21 PM
For the first time ever that would be/ have been conceivable, so how extremely tantalising!

The picture is indeed eloquent and he's surely anticipating that he'll go, for reasons beyond FFC's control that also reflect no lack of regret on his part -- just that time is moving on, he'll soon be a Stateside retiree, and he's got to seize the opportunity while it's there.

I fear he ticks every box for Arsenal, age apart -- about which they've become more flexible of late -- and by his own efforts on Sunday he can help ensure they finish above Spurs.

Not sure that Wenger will want to pay us what it will take. I see him offering 6 jammy dodgers and failing completely to understand why we won't do business.

I'd rather keep Dempsey for one more season and expect him to then leave for nothing than take less than £10M. There's always the possibility that a good start to the season persuades him to sign a new contract.

Mr Fulham

Same here, Mr Holders, I think he's gone.

valdeingruo

As much as i think he is already departed I hold Tony's view, i would have him for another season with Dembele (hopefully) and Ruiz a good start, we could pull a Newcastle and look where they are.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

zander

I've also just got a feeling he's gone mainly because this season out of the others its a certainty there will be substantial offers.

valdeingruo

Has there been a more debated departure since EVDS or Saha?
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

ScalleysDad

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 08, 2012, 04:56:50 PM
Quote from: b+w geezer on May 08, 2012, 01:10:21 PM

Not sure that Wenger will want to pay us what it will take. I see him offering 6 jammy dodgers and failing completely to understand why we won't do business.

I'd rather keep Dempsey for one more season and expect him to then leave for nothing than take less than £10M. There's always the possibility that a good start to the season persuades him to sign a new contract.

Even hanging onto him until January and getting 5 million would make good business sense as he would be pivotal in the new buys establishing themselves or indeed be a reliable option if it all goes belly up. I'm sure Maff could sign off 5 million and I'm equally sure somebody would buy him for about the same half way through the season. .......... would he qualify for a champions league squad at that stage though.