watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Here comes the ambition destroyer!

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, May 10, 2012, 11:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

On here I've seen numerous times that we have the squad to compete in the top six. Okay, I admit, if we keep Dempsey and Dembele, why not? I just think we shouldn't go into the season with the mentality that, that is where we belong and where we should be finishing. Our squad is going to have to earn that league spot, and we as supporters shouldn't lump that pressure on them. Yes it's possible, look at Newcastle, although I think they have a better starting eleven whereas we have a better squad.

There is a lot to work on before we can really push on as a team, I've got to the stage where with away games, I expect us to lose and would be happy with a point. We've won just the four away games this season, three were against teams fighting relegation (Wigan, QPR and Bolton), the other was against a weakened Liverpool side. Saying that, what does that show you about the quality of our teams where on our home form alone this season, we would be level on points with Bolton. 17 points away from home this season compared to 35 points at the Cottage.

What I'm trying to say, is don't get too carried away with the talent of our squad, set the bar at mid-table.

White Noise

Where's the fun if you don't get carried away? Aim for the stars and all that. And when it comes to Cup Finals and Champions League my instinct is - Everybody else is doing it so why can't we?

The Equalizer

There's nothing wrong with wanting something more. Without ambition we'd still be languishing at the bottom of the 3rd Division.

One thing that we have identified over the past 4 seasons is that we can push for a maintain a decent mid-table position. Our home form has been nothing short of spectacular, and I truly hope it continues. However, if we can start to win more away games, why not start pushing for a top 6 place? We've consistently had one of the best home records and one of the worst away records over the last 4 years. If we can improve that single area that we're missing out on points, anything is possible.

Expectation is something else though. I 'hope' that we can maintain and achieve a good placing, but I expect nothing.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: White Noise on May 10, 2012, 11:40:04 AM
Where's the fun if you don't get carried away? Aim for the stars and all that. And when it comes to Cup Finals and Champions League my instinct is - Everybody else is doing it so why can't we?

It is fun to get carried away but it is amazing how quickly the fun turns into resentment, bitterness and anger when the dreams are not realised....

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 10, 2012, 11:44:31 AM

It is fun to get carried away but it is amazing how quickly the fun turns into resentment, bitterness and anger when the dreams are not realised....

This is the point that I wanted to make. Well said.

Maidstone Lee

I do see your point and understand it completely but like White Noise says it's fun to dream and we do have a squad capable of pushing further up the table. Imagine where we could have been without Europe this season. But can we keep hold of CD and MD? Both are key to our plans. I'm happy to see fulham in and around mid table, i'm just happy to see us stay in the league year on year but if we really can push for a european spot then it will be fantastic.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

The Equalizer

Welcome to football.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: The Equalizer on May 10, 2012, 11:50:47 AM

Welcome to football.

No, it is everything that is wrong with football - all the hatred and abuse. The simple fact is that not every team can win everything all the time. Nowhere is this more evident than at Fulham.

Ambition is one thing, unrealistic expectations that have only negative effects (see the England team) are something quite different.

DukeTyrion

I just want to see Fulham at Wembley ... I wasn't old enough to go in 1975!

The Equalizer

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 10, 2012, 11:58:17 AM

Welcome to football.

No, it is everything that is wrong with football - all the hatred and abuse. The simple fact is that not every team can win everything all the time. Nowhere is this more evident than at Fulham.

Ambition is one thing, unrealistic expectations that have only negative effects (see the England team) are something quite different.

I don't disagree with you, but unrealistic expectations are as part of football as much as crowds singing at matches and have probably been around for just as long.

If you're going to follow any competitive sporting team you will have ambitions and expectations. Some people will always be more realistic than others, but that can't be helped, it's part of sport!

Jack Fulham

Go big or go home!!

Top 6 is not impossible but highly unlikely, a top 10 finish is a good season for us but a great season should have a cup run in it! Other teams devalue the cups so we really should be taking advantage! Cups are probably our oly chances silverware.

Peabody

I have said this on here before, as far as Fulham is concerned, I expect nothing but hope for everything.

RidgeRider

Quote from: The Equalizer on May 10, 2012, 12:17:44 PM

Welcome to football.

I don't disagree with you, but unrealistic expectations are as part of football as much as crowds singing at matches and have probably been around for just as long.

If you're going to follow any competitive sporting team you will have ambitions and expectations. Some people will always be more realistic than others, but that can't be helped, it's part of sport!

Agree EQ. I always like to say....think I picked this up from a movie or TV show or someplace....but there is "theory and reality". In theory everyone should have tempered expectations based on logic and balanced emotions about things, in reality, everyone is different and some get caught up in the "what is possible" and the highs and lows surrounding it (even if it is totally unrealistic and based on the stars aligning) and some are always expecting the other shoe to drop, or for disaster to strike...ala Mr. Lighthouse (sorry Beamer :) ) and then there are some who seem to stay steady throughout....its all a part of supporting a club....part of the fun is following the team in every aspect and the other is the shared experience with fellow supporters.

sipwell

Quote from: Peabody on May 10, 2012, 12:48:05 PM
I have said this on here before, as far as Fulham is concerned, I expect nothing but hope for everything.

I like this statement! Concise and precise!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Jack Fulham

Quote from: Peabody on May 10, 2012, 12:48:05 PM

+1 well said Mr Peabody!

HatterDon

Welcome to football.

Fulham supporters want to win everything all the time? I think most of us would be happy with winning SOMETHING SOMETIME.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ImperialWhite

Quote from: HatterDon on May 10, 2012, 01:24:54 PM

Welcome to football.

Fulham supporters want to win everything all the time? I think most of us would be happy with winning SOMETHING SOMETIME.

+1

If Birmingham f-ing City can win a cup then so can we.

Peabody

When you compare things at The Cottage now to how they were thirty years ago, then you have to feel pleased with how far we have come. Believe me things back then were pretty bad. People rightly say, that Craven Cottage is a magical place but back then, in the 1980's, it was quite depressing. As I remember it, nobdy could stand at the back of the Putney End as it was considered too dangerous. The pitch was very bad and it was quite depressing, small (though enthusiastic) crowds and a board of directors who did'nt give a damm for the club. So when you say curb your ambitions well yes, to an extent I agree but if it had'nt of been for the enthusiasm, ambition and desire of our fans back then, there would not have been anything for MAF to buy. Having said that we also owe a tremendous amount to him

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 10, 2012, 01:32:44 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on May 10, 2012, 01:24:54 PM

Welcome to football.

+1

If Birmingham f-ing City can win a cup then so can we.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to win something, but at the same time not winning something is not the end of the world for Fulham fans. Otherwise we all would not be Fulham fans.

My main point is that I hope that people maintain cool heads if we are not challenging the top 6 next season.

AlFayedsChequebook

This hits the nail on the head - Martin Kelner in The Guardian:

Supporters' optimism overflows. Then the football season starts

When I'm alone I'm a great singer. In an empty house the vocals I produce are really quite breathtaking. When there's some one else around, though, this wondrous ability mysteriously deserts me. One minute I'm Marvin Gaye, the next I'm emitting the sort of sounds you might otherwise only expect to hear if Grant Holt sat on a parrot.

Football is like this too. It's always best before reality intervenes. That is why for the majority of football supporters this is the best time of the year, a few happy carefree weeks before the sweet buds of hope are crushed in the bitter fist of reality.

However, as Sepp Herberger so rightly observed: Nach dem Spiel ist vor dem Spiel. There is serious work to be done during this crucial time, too. The close season, after all, is when your influence on the team is at its height. This is the time when the fans really run the club.

Preparations for the 2012-13 season must begin straight away. You look at the team sheet and realise that in order to prosper you will need better players in key areas. This is no problem because this week the local paper reports that the manager has been given "the thick end of £20m" to strengthen his squad. You have no idea where this figure comes from, nor indeed what "thick end" means in this context, but it is all the encouragement you need.

You set about spending the money. The new players you need are: a right-back, a holding midfield player and a 25-goal a season-and-he-links-up-play-well-too striker. When examining the situation more closely, however, it quickly becomes apparent that you also need a centre-back who's not afraid to do the ugly things, a pale-faced and perpetually shivery-looking creative inside-forward type and a very speedy winger to bring on 15 minutes from the end to give the crowd a lift by belting down the touchline before falling over.

First you look at the relegated teams, like a scrap dealer picking over a wreck for salvageable parts – Hmm Junior Hoilett, well that takes care of the nippy tumbler. After this you get a biro and pull down one of the many Ultimate Euro 2012 Guides you were given free by various kind-hearted newspaper proprietors, media moguls and chain-store magnates from the swaying stack in the corner of the sitting room and circle the players who fit in with your scheme. You then make a conservative estimate of what they would cost – £77m. Ah.

Not that it matters, anyway. Because by the end of this month Manchester City will be linked with all the players you have ringed except Philipp Lahm (and frankly you couldn't see him leaving Bayern Munich to play in the Championship anyway). Your only consolation is the remembrance of the time another big London club bumped you out of signing a top Dutch international.

You recall vividly the sweet feeling of euphoria that engulfed you a few months later when you finally saw Glenn Helder play. Similar waves of schadenfreude will break over you during the Euros every time Mats Hummels slices a clearance. Assuming he does, of course, which is unlikely.

Soon enough the fixtures are announced. You will now need to look through them and break your matches down into four categories: games you will definitely win (award yourself three points), games you should win (two points), games you might win (one) and games in which you have less chance of success than David Haye has of picking up an award from the Noise Abatement Society (zero) ... You then tally up your estimated points for the season. Even after you have checked it twice it still comes to just 23.

You make a less pessimistic assessment, shift Crystal Palace away and Charlton at home up one category, shove Sheffield Wednesday at our place up two. Three hours later you are satisfied that your analysis now combines, pragmatism and expertise with a smattering of the imponderables of luck and fate. You add up the points again. 34. Bollocks.

Next you take down The Big Book Of Every Football Fact In The World: Ever (Volume 27) and check to see if anyone has survived in a division with so few points. You find several precedents. Your joy is shortlived, however, because you quickly realise that: a) they are all in the days of two up, two down; b) they are all in the days before three points for a win; and c) they are all in the days before the abolition of the maximum wage when it was possible to influence results by the cunning distribution of discount carpeting to the opposition chairman.

You return to the fixtures. This time you factor in early-season confidence, the boost to team morale of the three "bankers" that fall in a row in February and the sapping effects of fixture congestion caused by successful Cup campaigns on the "we've no chance" opponents. You then begin carrying out similar scientific analysis on the fixture lists of other teams who might be expected to finish in the bottom half of the table ... By 4.30am you are safely ensconced in mid-table, with the outside chance of an appearance in the Carling Cup final.

And then August comes along and ruins everything. Again.