watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Dems or the cash?

Started by bede, June 08, 2012, 11:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bede

Wanted to know what people thought, would you rather lose the Dempsey and Dembele and get the significant monetary reward in order to strengthen the entire squad or keep our arguably two best players.

An example of this was Everton's 04/05 season, during the summer they lost Rooney to MU, but with the 25m they gained were able to take out 4th place.

25m is not an impossible amount to get for Dembele and Dempsey combined, so the comparison is fair.

BalDrick

If they're not going to extend, they've got to be sold I'm afraid. Simply cannot afford to replace them with no money whatsoever coming from their sales.

Ideal scenario they extend and stay forever, but that's simply not going to happen. As with every other summer, because there's a tournament on, everything's frustratingly on hold for a month or so.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: bede on June 08, 2012, 11:19:14 AM
25m is not an impossible amount to get for Dembele and Dempsey combined, so the comparison is fair.

I'd beg to differ.

Moussa has one year left on his contract, as does Clint. We'd be lucky to get £15m for both, regardless of how good they are.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

BalDrick

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on June 08, 2012, 11:34:43 AM

I'd beg to differ.

Moussa has one year left on his contract, as does Clint. We'd be lucky to get £15m for both, regardless of how good they are.

Still an amount we can scarcely afford to turn down for one more season from each - one, or both possibly, may get injured. Clint, some feel, may have had his best season in a Fulham shirt and might not do so well next term anyway (albeit Dembele was showing some very promising signs towards the end so he'd probably have a better season). Seriously doubt we've budgeted for them both/either to leave for nada.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: BalDrick on June 08, 2012, 11:49:33 AM
Quote from: ClarksOriginal on June 08, 2012, 11:34:43 AM

I'd beg to differ.

Still an amount we can scarcely afford to turn down for one more season from each - one, or both possibly, may get injured. Clint, some feel, may have had his best season in a Fulham shirt and might not do so well next term anyway (albeit Dembele was showing some very promising signs towards the end so he'd probably have a better season). Seriously doubt we've budgeted for them both/either to leave for nada.
You're right Baldrick, I was pointing out that we would get nowhere near £25m for them though.

£15m would be a massive sum to a club like us, but I'd rather we keep the Dems.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

LordNelson

Keep them.  If we can just have some stability with our line-up and our manager I think we could finish higher than ever before.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

EJL

Another option : Contracts and cash

Sign them both up on 2 year deals with decent buy out clauses.

I have no idea how this sort of stuff usually works, but given the choice I'd do that.

Mr_Moon

Even better, Everton got £24m for Lescott ahaha

Sheepskin Junior

The Dems without a shadow of a doubt. Keep then and we won't need cash to spend on replacements.
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

RMira

We spent £10 on Ruiz.  If that is how we plan to allocate incoming funds for the Dems we would then be much further back in quality than before.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: RMira on June 08, 2012, 07:03:19 PM
We spent £10 on Ruiz.  If that is how we plan to allocate incoming funds for the Dems we would then be much further back in quality than before.

Very very very unfair.

This was Ruiz's first season - Dembele come on a huge amount in his second season, let's give Bryan a chance.

RMira

Quote from: ImperialWhite on June 08, 2012, 07:12:19 PM
Quote from: RMira on June 08, 2012, 07:03:19 PM

Very very very unfair.

This was Ruiz's first season - Dembele come on a huge amount in his second season, let's give Bryan a chance.
I actually agree that we should give Bryan a chance.  My point is imagine if we had no Dempsey or Dembele but bought a player that performed in his first season similar to Bryan for £10 and had £5 left for one more...

We would certainly be worse for the wear. IMO

HatterDon

Two things are clear: Dembele and Dempsey both had their best season with us. If either leaves we'll have some massive holes to fill. If BOTH leave, we'll be fighting tooth and nail to scrape by in 17th.

Having said that, I still think it is smart business to get the money NOW. We'll have to trust that Jol can continue to shop well in Holland and that his imports and our kids can keep us alive for one more season.

So, take the money and reinvest in talented youth.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Berserker

Keep Dembele, let Dempsey go
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Mr_Moon

Quote from: Berserker on June 08, 2012, 07:32:32 PM
Keep Dembele, let Dempsey go

Agreed. Dempsey is at his peak whilst Dembele still has it all ahead of him.

Boggers

Be interesting to see how many points we'd have last season if all of Dempsey's goals were struck off - one for Mr White Noise perhaps?
"I never comment on referees and I'm not about to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat" - Ron Atkinson

http://alrightbeav.wordpress.com/

@shutuposhea

Mr_Moon

Quote from: Boggers on June 08, 2012, 10:51:24 PM
Be interesting to see how many points we'd have last season if all of Dempsey's goals were struck off - one for Mr White Noise perhaps?

Those 'stats' really annoy me as they mean absolutely nothing. If Dempsey's goals weren't included then someone else would be taking set pieces or in his position.

Boggers

Have to disagree with you there sir, how many other players in the Premier let alone our squad are as effective as Dempsey arriving late into the box, dominate in the air, he was even slotting free kicks at the end of the season.

15 + goal midfielders are so valuable these days because there aren't many around.
"I never comment on referees and I'm not about to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat" - Ron Atkinson

@shutuposhea

Mr_Moon

How many other players get the chances Dempsey do as no one else starts in his position ahead of him? It's like that 'stat' that Barca would finish in 6th without Messi's goal. Yeah great but they'd have someone else in his position if he wasn't playing.

Boggers

I get that but it doesn't necessarily mean that the other person would score the 73 goals Messi has bagged this season

@shutuposhea