Main Menu

QPR To Move For Danny Murphy As Barton Replacement

Started by White Noise, June 21, 2012, 07:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: MJG on June 21, 2012, 03:11:23 PM
Quote from: Mr Fulham on June 21, 2012, 02:37:39 PM
Quote from: Admin on June 21, 2012, 12:33:30 PM

It'd be a shame to see him leave but he's 35 in September and can't go on forever. We should have done this 2 years ago IMO.

Admin, I agree and disagree with you here. We indeed should've done this a few years ago (I always said this, remember my ongoing love for Jamie O'Hara who is, as I know, not very popular here) - but I still think we should keep Danny as an impact player. He's still got that special groove and knows the club inside-out.

I think Fulham are doing the right thing here - offer less money and tell him that he'd only be a bit part player next year. But I'm a bit baffled that they don't offer him a place as a first team coach - ready-made replacement for Ray Lew, who is set to join Woy on a permanent basis.

This is a big mistake IMHO. A serious error.
But maybe Jol does not want another coach. In the end its his call to add another member to the team. Maybe he is not impressed by what he has seen in Murphy's coaching ablity.
Also by taking a player who is loved by the fans and adding him to a coaching team and playing less, maybe Jol does not want that kind of person in the background.
If things went wrong next year who would the fans want in place of Jol?

On another note - who even knows if Murphy wants to go into coaching? Has he actually said anywhere he is definitely doing it rather than a comment about seriously considering it?

Also, maybe Murphy doesn't want to sign a player/coach role because he wants to play as much as possible in the few years he has left. If he becomes a player/coach, it is pretty much an admission that his career is winding down.

Berserker

To be honest i will be very upset to see him leave, especially to QPR
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Boggers

I think Muphy will do a 'Gary Neville' after he retires (which will surely be in 1/2 seasons time) and sit on the sofa next Jamie and co before heading into coaching.

Still, I will be gutted to see him leave though, a fantastic footballer and leader.

Who will take our penalties now?
"I never comment on referees and I'm not about to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat" - Ron Atkinson

http://alrightbeav.wordpress.com/

@shutuposhea

bigalffc

good point about pens stonewall goal every time when murph takes 'em - he can't do 90 minutes anymore and it would get less and less sad to say his leaving is inevitable
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Chesh

Quote from: Berserker on June 21, 2012, 05:46:07 PM
To be honest i will be very upset to see him leave, especially to QPR
Danny has been a great servant to us, and will leave with fond thanks for all he has done.

However, he is increasingly marginalised when we play any of the better teams, who simply play around him, and although he will be difficult to replace, I honestly feel that we need to look for more than 60 minutes a game from our chief playmaker.

So thanks Danny, and good luck.

To be honest, QPR are fast becoming a joke and I am quite happy to see them become Queens Park (Fulham) Rejects.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

cmg

It's true.
Danny already in training for new role as 'Barton Replacement' at Loftus Road

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Are there any QPR players you think would improve Fulham?

I would take Jamie Mackie, love a player who can turn a game all on his own.
Cannot see Danny going there .................... will he replace Ray ?? 
If they manager to keep Lesley (should I go or should I stay) Hughes the HaHa will do just fine.

Mr Fulham

Yep, Mackie. Lovely player. I also like Nedum Onuoha.

Logicalman

I might get hung from the yard arm and spliced with a dull rusty blade for this, but seriously, over the past couple of seasons Smurph has become slower and slower, leading to an increase in mis-timed tackles, and losing the ball setting up opposition attacks from midfield. Then playing a mother duck and blaming everyone else for his mistakes.

Yep, he is a great passer of the ball, and has done well at, and for, Fulham, but whether he can simply move to another club, albeit with the same manager he played under last season, but with no defensive/midfield players he is used to playing with, and command the way he has done at the Cottage, is something I am very unsure of.

Improve the ha ha's,? Yes, of course, a three-legged donkey would be an improvement there, but not to the degree that some feel they will rise to. I believe they will survive the next season, a little more comfortable than this past one, but by the 2013/14 season, those players they have signed in the past season and this summer will be using walkers to get about upon, and that's when Sparky, if he is still there, will be forced to do what MJ is doing at the Cottage now, and getting the younger squad up to strength.

Oh, and everything I say about what will happen in the future is, of course, hypothetical, as my crystal ball recently rolled away.

CorkedHat

In 1951 when I was ten, Len Quested left us for Huddersfield, I cried for a week. In 1964 when I was twenty-three, Alan Mullery left us for Spurs and I cried for a day.
Ever since, some players have come and some players have gone and no amount of crying is ever going to do anything about it. Football players in the main are itinerants who will ply their trade anywhere for the extra cash and who are we to condemn them for it? Of course it doesn't always work out in their favour as Bullard discovered but the only constant in any football club are the fans.
We are the people who pay their inflated salaries – we are the people who are there through thick and thin – we are the ones who are treated by the Directors like trailer trash (if you don't like the way we do things go and support Chelsea, etc) but we are the ones who have no say in whether someone joins the club or conversely, leaves the club.
So if Murphy goes, suck it up Baby. There's nowt we can do about it. Onwards and upwards and all that. I am sure we'll survive - we are more than a hundred years old and worse things have happened to us than a 35 year old veteran deciding to up stumps
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

elgreenio

Quote from: Logicalman on June 22, 2012, 02:01:27 AM
I might get hung from the yard arm and spliced with a dull rusty blade for this, but seriously, over the past couple of seasons Smurph has become slower and slower, leading to an increase in mis-timed tackles, and losing the ball setting up opposition attacks from midfield. Then playing a mother duck and blaming everyone else for his mistakes.

Yep, he is a great passer of the ball, and has done well at, and for, Fulham, but whether he can simply move to another club, albeit with the same manager he played under last season, but with no defensive/midfield players he is used to playing with, and command the way he has done at the Cottage, is something I am very unsure of.

Believe he was actually one of the best tacklers in the league a couple of seasons ago.

he's still just about the heartbeat of this side and is the best link between the defence and the attacking players, we'd be kidding ourselves if we were happy to see him leave (until that new Murphy we've been waiting for a few seasons arrives - Kasami and Gecov are not that person)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
touch my camera through the fence

JBH

Quote from: elgreenio on June 22, 2012, 06:34:22 AM
Quote from: Logicalman on June 22, 2012, 02:01:27 AM

Believe he was actually one of the best tacklers in the league a couple of seasons ago.

he's still just about the heartbeat of this side and is the best link between the defence and the attacking players, we'd be kidding ourselves if we were happy to see him leave (until that new Murphy we've been waiting for a few seasons arrives - Kasami and Gecov are not that person)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

When DM gets time on the ball he is still worth his place, when teams close him down he is totally ineffective, he has done a great job for us and I would like him to remain as a player/coach but we will replace him with quality so I think I will leave it up to Big Martin  :54:

MasterHaynes

He has been good for Fulham, but so were Mcbride, Van der saar, Saha,Malbranque,Conway, Lacy, Davis(Sean) , Gale and yes Hodgson but we are still here and doing OK. If/when he goes then thank you for some really good times and Good luck but you owe to FFC and its fans to get it sorted one way or the other so they can move on and have adequate time to prepare for next season.

Oakeshott

"but we will replace him with quality"

I wish I was as confident. Buying someone from outside the Premiership - whether from a lower league or abroad - as always risky as, quite understandably, it often takes players a while to get used to the Premiership. And I cannot think of a current Premiership player we could reasonably hope to buy (ie not at one of the top clubs) who would come even close to filling Danny's boots.

This, for me, is THE pre season test for Jol. I have no difficulty about us not paying through the nose to sign Pog., who I think may struggle next season and I'd as soon that was at Reading, costing them a reported £65,000 a week, than with us. Nor am I overly concerned about the loss of Andy Johnson, who always tried hard, was often good, but is very injury prone. But if he lose Danny without a suitable replacement up and performing from day one, we will struggle.

Possibly I am the only remaining sceptic about Jol. But unless he has something up his sleeve re a replacement, if Danny goes I think it likely that, come October, our Premiership position will mean I'll then be in good company.

TonyGilroy

Except that in many ways Diarra is the replacement.

Intelligent and good on the ball. Mobile, tough, committed. With him and Dembele in midfield we'll be fine.

Maybe not fighting to keep Murphy is a sign that Dembele is staying.

JBH

Quote from: TonyGilroy on June 22, 2012, 08:42:13 AM

Intelligent and good on the ball. Mobile, tough, committed. With him and Dembele in midfield we'll be fine.

Spot on.

Diarra proved he is more than capable of filling DM's shoes and with a full pre season he will only get fitter and better, if DM stays he will not get as much game time as he has previously and that is most likely the main reason if he does leave.

Diarra and Dembele will do for me with another midfielder coming in plus Sidwell coming back from injury.

I am quite happy unlike Oakeshott who appears extremely worried even before the transfer window has officially opened!!  S001.gif

b+w geezer

If that proves so, then it does makes sense, albeit I'd feel more comfortable about having Danny and Diarra share playing time, given their ages. But maybe they themselves wouldn't. (Has anyone noticed Danny mentioning Diarra once in quotes?).

If not confident of Mousa staying, however, then it seems perverse to let Danny leave a year earlier than needful -- too liable (for older viewers) to resemble Buckingham's ditching of Leggat, an outcome with no winners.

Within 12 months there can be no confidence that any of these three players will still be here and in contention, but ideally you tap into quality while you can.

Logicalman

You have possibly got the key in that little nugget, TG

BestOfBrede

It's not just about whether or not his legs don't last the 90 though - it is also about the fact that we will lose a magnificent captain. We have some very good players, but there is no current player in the squad that I feel can do as good a job. Maybe we will offer the job to Clint in an attempt to keep him? Otherwise, IMO we need to consider, when looking at new players, their worth as a captain also. (I don't personally think Brede is the right man for this role, but of course may well be wrong)

Mr Fulham

Quote from: BestOfBrede on June 22, 2012, 09:42:37 PM
It's not just about whether or not his legs don't last the 90 though - it is also about the fact that we will lose a magnificent captain. We have some very good players, but there is no current player in the squad that I feel can do as good a job. Maybe we will offer the job to Clint in an attempt to keep him? Otherwise, IMO we need to consider, when looking at new players, their worth as a captain also. (I don't personally think Brede is the right man for this role, but of course may well be wrong)
plus one