watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

QPR To Move For Danny Murphy As Barton Replacement

Started by White Noise, June 21, 2012, 07:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/qpr-want-danny-murphy-of-fulham-904626

Desperate for Danny: Hughes lines up old pal Murphy for QPR

Midfielder's vast experience could be invaluable for Rangers at the start of next season as Joey Barton serves his 12-match suspension

Rangers or Rovers?: Murphy has a choice between QPR and Blackburn

QPR are in talks with Fulham midfield veteran Danny Murphy - but face a fight with Blackburn for his signature.

Former Craven Cottage Mark Hughes wants to bring his old skipper to Rangers from their west London neighbours.

The QPR chief has already landed old boys Andy Johnson from Fulham and Ryan Nelsen, who played for him at Blackburn, and now wants Murphy's expertise and leadership - suspended Joey Barton will be absent for the first 12 games.

Murphy has also spoken to relegated Rovers about joining them on a two-year deal.

However, Rangers will get their man if they match the Championship side's terms as he will be able to stay in the London.

ClarksOriginal

@joannataylormum: Today I am mostly going to be saying I can't say anything.

I can't decide if this is good or bad...
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

TonyGilroy

Presumably he is talking to QPR otherwise it would be easy to say that he wasn't.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the club to want to move on so what matters to me is who might be coming in rather than who might leave. I don't believe that we've suddenly decided that we can't or won't pay competitive wages.

We'll have to learn to play without Murphy soon enough anyway so maybe now is the time.

Whatever happens he's right up there amongst my all time favourite Fulham players.

The Equalizer

Mark Hughes suddenly realises that he has absolutely no talent, skill, nous, strategy, brain or anything else that requires any kind of mental input when it comes to football, so he has to try and get someone else's skills. And team.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

cottage cheese

i think he is going. The only player we seemed to really want was diarra and that was why he signed early on. The rest have been "offered" contracts but we already have lost two players and the newspapers have been spot on pretty much with the fate of the pog and aj..will murphy follow them?

sipwell

Quote from: cottage cheese on June 21, 2012, 10:05:09 AM
i think he is going. The only player we seemed to really want was diarra and that was why he signed early on. The rest have been "offered" contracts but we already have lost two players and the newspapers have been spot on pretty much with the fate of the pog and aj..will murphy follow them?

Don't say such things. They are upsetting me!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

cottage cheese

Quote from: sipwell on June 21, 2012, 10:17:13 AM
Quote from: cottage cheese on June 21, 2012, 10:05:09 AM

Don't say such things. They are upsetting me!

i love murphy, but the papers have been right so far with the contracts of aj and the pog so i am worried just as much as you!!

twang

Can't say I'd be happy with this at all but if it happens it'll most likely be for the best of both parties. As things stand Diarra-Dembele will be the preferred central midfield pairing and Murphy has probably been told this and been offered a new contract with reduced wages. Either he accepts his new role and contract, or he moves on. The choice is entirely his and, unfortunately, it looks like the latter will become reality.

One thing is for sure though, it will be a sad day when Murphy leaves Fulham - be it in 10 days or 10 years.

ImperialWhite

Two Ton Ted

Never ever bloody anything ever.

alfie

Funny though he is signing all the Fulham players that he did not want to work with, theres ambition for you.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on June 21, 2012, 10:21:19 AM
QPR are going to be a good team next season.

Meh.

They will be alright because Hughes will be their manager, but I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves when they say they will be a 'good' team.

Let me put it this way - what would the reaction be if we signed Rob Green, AJ and Nelson?

twang

What do you base that on? Honest question as I wouldn't want any of their signings so far at Fulham.

ImperialWhite

@AFC, twang, et al.

A) I didn't like him as a person at all, but he was a good manager for us. He's had half a season and a summer with QPR, they'll improve. They'll play like we did after half a season with him.

B) Plus, their players are fairly good. Maybe not as good as ours but not a million miles away. I'd fear any team with Murphy pulling the strings and they've removed their weakest link in Kenny (two of them if Murphy replaces Barton!).

Unlike last season, the chance of them going down (or us doing a double over them) is minuscule.

White Noise

Quote from: twang on June 21, 2012, 10:41:16 AM

What do you base that on? Honest question as I wouldn't want any of their signings so far at Fulham.

These are the just free's they are picking up before the real spending starts. They are being linked with some very good players & it sounds like their owner is willing to spend. Hughes is a good manager, they will have a sizeable and experienced squad to draw from and be playing in a division with a number of clubs who will have spent a lot less than them and will have smaller and less experienced squads. Of course no one can tell for certain how any club will do but I would bet a chunk of cash that Fulham will start next season with their top 5 goals scorers from last season all playing elsewhere. That doesn't mean their replacements will be poor but it is always a risk waiting for new players to bed into a club. In fact, how many Prem clubs have ever started a season without their 5 top scorers from the previous season? QPR on the other hand look like they are going down the route of known knowns; experienced players who can do a job to a certain level and will give them a base on which to build - in the way that Hodgson did when he first arrived. Hughes knows you can't transform the playing staff over night but he will have players in most positions who he knows and feels he can count on.

twang

Quote from: ImperialWhite on June 21, 2012, 10:48:39 AM
@AFC, twang, et al.

A) I didn't like him as a person at all, but he was a good manager for us. He's had half a season and a summer with QPR, they'll improve. They'll play like we did after half a season with him.

B) Plus, their players are fairly good. Maybe not as good as ours but not a million miles away. I'd fear any team with Murphy pulling the strings and they've removed their weakest link in Kenny (two of them if Murphy replaces Barton!).

Unlike last season, the chance of them going down (or us doing a double over them) is minuscule.

A) I agree that Hughes is in fact a good manager. But I very much doubt he will turn QPR around just like that and start to play like we did during the second half of Mr Ambitions season here, as we simply had and have a much better team and better players individually.

B) I just can't see where you are coming from here. Nelsen is soon to be 35 and hardly played last season, AJ is 31 and is injured more than he plays and Green is obviously not a keeper to rely on (how many times has he been relegated?). I don't view any of them as good signings, even for a relegation candidate. Well maybe Nelsen if he's supposed to be fourth or fifth choice.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: White Noise on June 21, 2012, 10:52:03 AM

These are the just free's they are picking up before the real spending starts. They are being linked with some very good players & it sounds like their owner is willing to spend. Hughes is a good manager, they will have a sizeable and experienced squad to draw from and be playing in a division with a number of clubs who will have spent a lot less than them and will have smaller and less experienced squads. Of course no one can tell for certain how any club will do but I would bet a chunk of cash that Fulham will start next season with their top 5 goals scorers from last season all playing elsewhere. That doesn't mean their replacements will be poor but it is always a risk waiting for new players to bed into a club. In fact, how many Prem clubs have ever started a season without their 5 top scorers from the previous season? QPR on the other hand look like they are going down the route of known knowns; experienced players who can do a job to a certain level and will give them a base on which to build - in the way that Hodgson did when he first arrived. Hughes knows you can't transform the playing staff over night but he will have players in most positions who he knows and feels he can count on.

Are there any QPR players you think would improve Fulham?

Faurlin seems to be the only player I think would really add something to the team.

Also, the comment about it being a risk bedding in new players - you seem to think this will be a problem for us, but not QPR who have much less of a foundation.

Willard

It would be a pity if Murphy went to QPR. I had hoped he would transition into a coaching role at Fulham and so present us with some continuity through the club and that would, I think, be a valuable thing.

No doubt there is The Jol Plan to replace whoever leaves. I am sure the departures will not be surprises to the management and that they will have been factored in. I look forward to a strengthening of the squad.

twang

Quote from: White Noise on June 21, 2012, 10:52:03 AM

I hear you but you base everything on the possibility that QPR spends big and get good players while Fulham lose most of theirs. What if that doesn't happen? IMHO it's a bit strange to state that 'QPR will be good next season' based on something that may or may not happen.