QPR To Move For Danny Murphy As Barton Replacement

Started by White Noise, June 21, 2012, 07:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on June 21, 2012, 11:02:35 AM
Quote from: White Noise on June 21, 2012, 10:52:03 AM
Quote from: twang on June 21, 2012, 10:41:16 AM
Quote from: ImperialWhite on June 21, 2012, 10:21:19 AM
QPR are going to be a good team next season.

What do you base that on? Honest question as I wouldn't want any of their signings so far at Fulham.

These are the just free's they are picking up before the real spending starts. They are being linked with some very good players & it sounds like their owner is willing to spend. Hughes is a good manager, they will have a sizeable and experienced squad to draw from and be playing in a division with a number of clubs who will have spent a lot less than them and will have smaller and less experienced squads. Of course no one can tell for certain how any club will do but I would bet a chunk of cash that Fulham will start next season with their top 5 goals scorers from last season all playing elsewhere. That doesn't mean their replacements will be poor but it is always a risk waiting for new players to bed into a club. In fact, how many Prem clubs have ever started a season without their 5 top scorers from the previous season? QPR on the other hand look like they are going down the route of known knowns; experienced players who can do a job to a certain level and will give them a base on which to build - in the way that Hodgson did when he first arrived. Hughes knows you can't transform the playing staff over night but he will have players in most positions who he knows and feels he can count on.

Are there any QPR players you think would improve Fulham?

Faurlin seems to be the only player I think would really add something to the team.

Also, the comment about it being a risk bedding in new players - you seem to think this will be a problem for us, but not QPR who have much less of a foundation.

I don't think QPR will do as well as Fulham or have anything like as good a squad but I still think they will do well. I expect them to finish ahead of clubs like West Ham, West Brom, Reading, Southampton, Norwich, Swansea, Wigan, Stoke, Villa, and maybe Sunderland - so I would predict a 10th or 11th place finish for QPR - which I think would be a decent advance on their last season.

There aren't any players I would want from QPR but I reckon Hughes is the man to cobble the odds and ends together to make something much better than the sum of the parts. Fulham look to be going in a different direction - and I am excited about that. I think 80% of our squad are players Jol wouldn't sign if they weren't here but that is normal and he is sernsible to want his own players and to have them playing his way.

I think a number of QPR's new players will stand a good chance of bedding in quicker than perhaps Fulham's new signings will because Hughes looks like he may sign Prem experienced English/English speaking players while Fulham seem to be being mainly linked with non-Prem experienced foreigners. That doesn't definitively mean they won't prosper from the off but I think it increases the risk they may not.

White Noise

Quote from: twang on June 21, 2012, 11:11:00 AM

What do you base that on? Honest question as I wouldn't want any of their signings so far at Fulham.

These are the just free's they are picking up before the real spending starts. They are being linked with some very good players & it sounds like their owner is willing to spend. Hughes is a good manager, they will have a sizeable and experienced squad to draw from and be playing in a division with a number of clubs who will have spent a lot less than them and will have smaller and less experienced squads. Of course no one can tell for certain how any club will do but I would bet a chunk of cash that Fulham will start next season with their top 5 goals scorers from last season all playing elsewhere. That doesn't mean their replacements will be poor but it is always a risk waiting for new players to bed into a club. In fact, how many Prem clubs have ever started a season without their 5 top scorers from the previous season? QPR on the other hand look like they are going down the route of known knowns; experienced players who can do a job to a certain level and will give them a base on which to build - in the way that Hodgson did when he first arrived. Hughes knows you can't transform the playing staff over night but he will have players in most positions who he knows and feels he can count on.

I hear you but you base everything on the possibility that QPR spends big and get good players while Fulham lose most of theirs. What if that doesn't happen? IMHO it's a bit strange to state that 'QPR will be good next season' based on something that may or may not happen.

I am merely echoing the comment that QPR will be a good team next season. As a separate point, I also think Fulham will have a good side and will do well.

twang

Quote from: White Noise on June 21, 2012, 11:14:28 AM

I hear you but you base everything on the possibility that QPR spends big and get good players while Fulham lose most of theirs. What if that doesn't happen? IMHO it's a bit strange to state that 'QPR will be good next season' based on something that may or may not happen.

I am merely echoing the comment that QPR will be a good team next season. As a separate point, I also think Fulham will have a good side and will do well.

Either way, my point was that your reasoning, both about QPR and Fulham, is based on hypothetical events.

White Noise

Quote from: twang on June 21, 2012, 11:30:42 AM

Either way, my point was that your reasoning, both about QPR and Fulham, is based on hypothetical events.

OK. I will leave off this board until 30 August then & post my views once all the horse trading has been done. My views will of course will still be hypothetical because only a handful of games will have been played but hopefully they will make slightly more sense then.

Jack Fulham

I can't see QPR spending big this summer, they've already got a huge squad and a lot of those players are on big money.

twang

Quote from: White Noise on June 21, 2012, 11:33:53 AM

OK. I will leave off this board until 30 August then & post my views once all the horse trading has been done. My views will of course will still be hypothetical because only a handful of games will have been played but hopefully they will make slightly more sense then.

Yes, because you know that was exactly what I meant.

I certainly didn't mean that you can suspect that QPR will be a good side next season once they have actually signed a decent player or two (which, other than Hughes, seems to be your main argument for why they will be good side) instead of being linked with them and signing poor free agents instead.

ImperialWhite

When I said good, I meant mid table.

Regardless of hypothetical situations (besides - hypothetical isn't a dirty word - it's perfectly possible to make a sensible prediction) do you honestly think QPR will finish anywhere near 17th next season?

SJH

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on June 21, 2012, 10:40:56 AM

Meh.

They will be alright because Hughes will be their manager, but I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves when they say they will be a 'good' team.

Let me put it this way - what would the reaction be if we signed Rob Green, AJ and Nelson?
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on June 21, 2012, 10:40:56 AM

Meh.

They will be alright because Hughes will be their manager, but I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves when they say they will be a 'good' team.

Let me put it this way - what would the reaction be if we signed Rob Green, AJ and Nelson?

I think signing Danny Murphy would be excellent for them. Last season we were consistently better when he played than when he didn't (there might be exceptions, but consistently). And he is an excellent organiser and second 'manager' on the pitch and I'm sure in the dressing room. It depends who else they sign apart from the out of contract players how good they'll be, but Murphy for sure will improve them.

I'd also wait to see how we do in the 'window' before being over enthusiastic. Martin Jol's signings so far haven't been especially influential (Diarra aside). Ruíz needs to improve greatly & hopefully will. Kasami is promising, Gecov very ordinary IMO. No I wouldn't be delighted if we signed Green or AJ. But I think Murphy will be a loss (unless we do better with our incomings for next season). I'm assuming for the point of not getting too worried that Dempsey and Dembélé will be Fulham players next campaign.

I'll miss Murphy (if this is true). He's been wonderful for us. Of the modern Fulham players one of my firm favourites.

MasterHaynes

Until we have got 6-7 games out of the way you can never tell what the season may hold. A team can look great on paper but you never know whether the good players will perform, whether the tactics the manager wants to employ will actually work, what injuries occur in those first few games and how motivated and committed players are.

With all the changes in managers  it's been an interesting summer already, it could get even more interesting for a lot of premier clubs depending on who leaves who and who gets bought in from abroad.

I do know I can't rule out Fulham being involved in a relegation scrap and I cant rule us out of fighting for 4th,5th,6th position. Likewise I'm not sure I could predict with any certainty who will be in the top 3 and who will go down next season because of the manager merry-go-round, I have some thoughts but wouldn't want to bet on them at the moment.What a wonderful game we watch roll on August.

The Rock

We have operated brilliantly on limited funds for quite sometime. QPR is becoming "Fulham lite". I would hope Jol is bringing in players that he might have if he were at Spurs or a higher calibre team. We need To keep our best player like demos and dembele an add that quality to the side. I'm a little worried b/c we haven't seen players linked with Fulham, only away from Fulham.

White Noise

Quote from: twang on June 21, 2012, 11:40:52 AM
Quote from: White Noise on June 21, 2012, 11:33:53 AM

Yes, because you know that was exactly what I meant.

I certainly didn't mean that you can suspect that QPR will be a good side next season once they have actually signed a decent player or two (which, other than Hughes, seems to be your main argument for why they will be good side) instead of being linked with them and signing poor free agents instead.

Its all hypothetical. Haven't got a clue what you are on about. Its all opinion and conjecture - all of it. Plenty of clubs have won the Prem and been told they are 'not a good side'. Not sure what bit of my detailed explanation you don't get but it goes without saying its all hypothetical.

Mr Fulham

Admin

I heard from a very reliable source the other day that Murphy was offered less money on a new 1 year contract because he was told by Martin Jol that he'd be playing half the games this coming season. I also heard that he is yet to agree this with Fulham and is considering his options. No coaching roll has been offered either.

This tells me that a) Fulham are looking for life after Murphy or b) someone is coming in or being promoted to his current position.

It'd be a shame to see him leave but he's 35 in September and can't go on forever. We should have done this 2 years ago IMO.

twang

Quote from: ImperialWhite on June 21, 2012, 11:43:14 AM
When I said good, I meant mid table.

Regardless of hypothetical situations (besides - hypothetical isn't a dirty word - it's perfectly possible to make a sensible prediction) do you honestly think QPR will finish anywhere near 17th next season?

It very much depends on how they continue doing their business this transfer window. With their current squad and signings, I certainly wouldn't bet on them staying up.

Quote from: White Noise on June 21, 2012, 12:16:34 PM
Its all hypothetical. Haven't got a clue what you are on about. Its all opinion and conjecture - all of it. Plenty of clubs have won the Prem and been told they are 'not a good side'. Not sure what bit of my detailed explanation you don't get but it goes without saying its all hypothetical.

Deary me...

JBH

Quote from: The Rock on June 21, 2012, 11:54:46 AM
We have operated brilliantly on limited funds for quite sometime. QPR is becoming "Fulham lite". I would hope Jol is bringing in players that he might have if he were at Spurs or a higher calibre team. We need To keep our best player like demos and dembele an add that quality to the side. I'm a little worried b/c we haven't seen players linked with Fulham, only away from Fulham.

We have actually seen about 20 players linked with FFC in the press, the club however never speculate about new players until a deal is done or very close to it, the window opens July 1st so no one will come in before then unless its on a free.

As for murphy to QPHA, well if it is the case then he will join a club which is fast becoming a rest home for the elderly.   :028:

Frankie-Peter Taylor

It would not surprise me if they finish above us last season, also wouldn't surprise me if they beat us. A lot of you are underestimating them.

EJL

horse1031

Quote from: EJL on June 21, 2012, 02:09:55 PM

:HD:

QPR will be better with Danny Murphy running their midfield.  He is a leader and can pick a pass.  He is 35 years old though and getting on in years so i would worry about him getting injured.  They will be OK next year but the thing they need to worry about is that defense...  they have a lot of important players over 30  (Zamora, Cisse, AJ, Derry) so injuries could derail their season.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Admin on June 21, 2012, 12:33:30 PM

It'd be a shame to see him leave but he's 35 in September and can't go on forever. We should have done this 2 years ago IMO.

Admin, I agree and disagree with you here. We indeed should've done this a few years ago (I always said this, remember my ongoing love for Jamie O'Hara who is, as I know, not very popular here) - but I still think we should keep Danny as an impact player. He's still got that special groove and knows the club inside-out.

I think Fulham are doing the right thing here - offer less money and tell him that he'd only be a bit part player next year. But I'm a bit baffled that they don't offer him a place as a first team coach - ready-made replacement for Ray Lew, who is set to join Woy on a permanent basis.

This is a big mistake IMHO. A serious error.

MJG

Quote from: Mr Fulham on June 21, 2012, 02:37:39 PM
Quote from: Admin on June 21, 2012, 12:33:30 PM

Admin, I agree and disagree with you here. We indeed should've done this a few years ago (I always said this, remember my ongoing love for Jamie O'Hara who is, as I know, not very popular here) - but I still think we should keep Danny as an impact player. He's still got that special groove and knows the club inside-out.

I think Fulham are doing the right thing here - offer less money and tell him that he'd only be a bit part player next year. But I'm a bit baffled that they don't offer him a place as a first team coach - ready-made replacement for Ray Lew, who is set to join Woy on a permanent basis.

This is a big mistake IMHO. A serious error.
But maybe Jol does not want another coach. In the end its his call to add another member to the team. Maybe he is not impressed by what he has seen in Murphy's coaching ablity.
Also by taking a player who is loved by the fans and adding him to a coaching team and playing less, maybe Jol does not want that kind of person in the background.
If things went wrong next year who would the fans want in place of Jol?