News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

David Bentley to FFC ( a poor transfer joke by the Daily Mirror?)

Started by BB, June 29, 2012, 07:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

And the silly season continues... why would we want a 28yo, who can't even get into the Spuds 1st team on a regular basis??? The mind boggles.... worse still this is the 'professional' who was "too tired" to pull on the England shirt.... he not even worth a text back to Spuds to say "Thanks, but NO THANKS!" :014:

JBH

Another case of lazy journolism, Bentley has been linked with us for at least the last 5 transfer windows  fp.gif

Berserker

I saw Koumos had been mentioned recently in another thread and wondered who he was, googled him and wasn't that much the wise. Can somebody remind me, or is it a person that is so bad we shouldn't be talking about him!
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

TonyGilroy

It would be about 15 years ago but Jason Koumas scored a wonder goal against us playing for, I think, Tranmere.

Those in the know knew that we were about to sign him as a result and most transfer windows the rumour resurfaced.

Koumas went on to have a passable Championship level career and has played quite often for Wales. Tends to sign for Prem clubs but spend his time mostly out on loan.

It truly was a great goal that he scored though and he can't have been more than about 18 at the time.

OldBrownShoe

I don't much care if I am, as is often the case, in a minority of one as far as David Bentley is concerned.  We often talk on this board of lazy journalism (and I think we all know what that is) but from what I often read there seems to be a lazy message board posting equivalent. We are quick to knock possible or actual new signings but what is it based on? Not football playing experience or ability that's for sure.  Let's give players a chance and trust the eyes and knowledge of the professionals.  For all manner of reasons I guess, David Bentley has played far less first team games in his career than you might expect for a 28 year old. However, the clubs and managers he has been involved with have tended to rate him highly. 'Arry Boy is perhaps an exception.  But Bentley is not the only player who can barely get a start at Spurs, e.g. quite often Jermain Defoe is on splinter picking duty there. Jol may believe that he can get the best out of him. David Bentley certainly has the ability. Let's hope he has the fitness and motivation and if so let's hope we can give him a positive welcome if it comes to him signing. 092.gif
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

TonyGilroy

The killer fact about Bentley, for me, is his abject performance when on loan at Birmingham.

Anyway I take the view that all transfer gossip is invented. The club will let us know when they sign someone and I don't expect it to be anyone we're linked with.

bog

OBS has a point. Sometimes players do wake up and grow up. And he has a lot of this to do. Was Danny Murphy not signed after disappearing off the radar at Spurs....

rusty shackleford

ClarksOriginal

@sonikkicks on Twitter.

Lighthouse

A few topics are raised over this rumour.

We are not about to have huge investment outside of our transfers out. No rich oil tycoons from the Middle East.

We are going for squad players to replace the players leaving. A 31 one year deal forward and Bentley are not long term first team players.

Or we can tell nothing by these rumours but speculation and gossip at least fills in the time until the start of the season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SKSW6

I think it was on twitter that I read it, but someone claimed only around 16% of the players the Mirror and Mail link with us actually sign for us. However, like those papers, I haven't checked that for reliability, but it sounds interesting nonetheless.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: TonyGilroy on June 29, 2012, 09:00:23 AM

The killer fact about Bentley, for me, is his abject performance when on loan at Birmingham.

Yes and No. Bentley's performances for Brum were piss-poor, but Alex McLeish had no tactics whatsoever and no tactics that suited wingers, that's for sure.

I think Bentley is one of very very few players who are still able to shift in a good cross or two. Very rare these days, most crosses are crap. We could do with a decent crosser. Our corners have been really shite of late.

I'd take him, but only for 1/2m.

leonffc

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MasterHaynes

Hoorah! it worked we put out the rumours we were interested and the boys in Blue and white bit. Today the People has QPR wanting to take him on loan. Now who else can we link to Fulham to get QPR to sign them? 

LBNo11

Quote from: MasterHaynes on July 01, 2012, 06:13:35 PM
Hoorah! it worked we put out the rumours we were interested and the boys in Blue and white bit. Today the People has QPR wanting to take him on loan. Now who else can we link to Fulham to get QPR to sign them? 

...have just read this in the daily 'Fulham Stuff' he sounds perfect for a team with more money than sense and should enjoy himself with a manager who reflects his own inflated opinion of himself - sorry, I mean am6iti0n...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Senior Supporter

Quote from: MasterHaynes on July 01, 2012, 06:13:35 PM

I wonder whether Hughes was ever told, during his time with us, what a HUGE player Jimmy Bullard was for Fulham.

the1metaknight

Quote from: Mr Fulham on June 29, 2012, 11:17:45 AM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on June 29, 2012, 09:00:23 AM

Yes and No. Bentley's performances for Brum were piss-poor, but Alex McLeish had no tactics whatsoever and no tactics that suited wingers, that's for sure.

I think Bentley is one of very very few players who are still able to shift in a good cross or two. Very rare these days, most crosses are crap. We could do with a decent crosser. Our corners have been really shite of late.

I'd take him, but only for 1/2m.

*Cough* Dejagah *Cough*