watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is it me?

Started by BalDrick, July 01, 2012, 04:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalDrick

Or has this board got quite a bit quieter of late?

I'll admit, recently I haven't found it as good value as it has sometimes been and I've moved back to TIFF (which at times is still awful, but I just get on with work when that happens now). My personal opinion is this board can be too cliquey at times, with long discussions taking up a lot of room when people quote an entire piece then add a smiling face (or another equally annoying smiley/symbol; those really wind me up I'm afraid) or a +1, not exactly top level conversing is it? I'm not having a go I hasten to add, carry on adding smileys all you like, just saying I find it rather childish. Maybe that's the problem, maybe it's me, don't know.

It seems some highly respected posters don't seem to be on here much anymore, which is a real shame.

Am I alone in thinking this?

I think also I may have become a bit bored with discussing football.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

EJL

Yeah there tends to be the same thread at the top of the main thread list for a long time, so I guess it is a little bit quiet.

Aldo

Peabody

Could it be that the sad news on Finn has taken the wind out of a lot of peoples sails, I know it has mine.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

I agree, the level of good quality posts and comments have deteriorated. It's not just you my friend.

Admin

Quote from: BalDrick on July 01, 2012, 04:13:17 PM
Or has this board got quite a bit quieter of late?

I'll admit, recently I haven't found it as good value as it has sometimes been and I've moved back to TIFF (which at times is still awful, but I just get on with work when that happens now). My personal opinion is this board can be too cliquey at times, with long discussions taking up a lot of room when people quote an entire piece then add a smiling face (or another equally annoying smiley/symbol; those really wind me up I'm afraid) or a +1, not exactly top level conversing is it? I'm not having a go I hasten to add, carry on adding smileys all you like, just saying I find it rather childish. Maybe that's the problem, maybe it's me, don't know.

It seems some highly respected posters don't seem to be on here much anymore, which is a real shame.

Am I alone in thinking this?

I think also I may have become a bit bored with discussing football.

And you made the effort to publicly announce this in the forum because...?

Bottom line is Tiff isn't a shade on FOF. I'm not being bias but it's full of idiots and a playground for some of Fulham's special brigade. They know they can go there and get away with blue murder. You can't on FOF.

FOF always drops off about this time, it always does. I myself don't look in to much about this time because its silly season, people go on holiday, watch a bit cricket or generally have a break from football.

If Tiff's the place to be then please, don't let me stop you..

BalDrick

Quote from: Peabody on July 01, 2012, 04:42:19 PM
Could it be that the sad news on Finn has taken the wind out of a lot of peoples sails, I know it has mine.

To be honest, I was feeling like this for quite a while before that. It's obviously sad that people on here have lost a friend - there are several things more important than football, but to be brutally honest, I'm getting sick of seeing the post about the poor guy's death at the top of the Show new replies to your post section. Which is not to say I wish people would shut up about it, just that it's symptomatic of how quiet things are.

Not in any way whatsoever denigrating the loss of a friend to people on here (I never met him, knowingly anyway, nor did I ever have a rapport on here with him), I'm sure it must be awful.

MJG

Maybe we are just footballed out.
A year ago yesterday our 11-12 season kicked off.
The season before we lost our manager after getting to a cup final.
This summer England have failed again.

As for TIFF I still read it but never post, too many wum. I wish it was not like that as I used to be on it all the time.
Its quiet here I think because its summer and we are not playing. Come Aug 18th it will all kick off again.

BalDrick

'And you made the effort to publicly announce this in the forum because...?'

Because I would hope from the tone of my post that I'm not saying 'I hate you all, especially your smileys' but instead wondering if anyone else has started to feel the same way. If all I wanted to say was the former, I wouldn't bother, I'd just go. Who knows, it's possible tomorrow (I guess more people look on here during work hours, at least in the close season, than over a summer weekend) there'll be lots of people saying 'yeah those smileys have got beyond a joke' and there'll be some kind of a cull. Doubt it, my point being I have liked this board and I'm not about to close my account, just wondering if others feel the same.

'Bottom line is Tiff isn't a shade on FOF. I'm not being bias but it's full of idiots and a playground for some of Fulham's special brigade. They know they can go there and get away with blue murder.'

I'm well aware of that, but actually there can also be decent discussions (just lost another wicket) on there, of which there have been a few recently.

Oiseau

It's probably just because of the time of year as Admin and MJG said. Once the next season kicks off, there'll be a lot more to talk about.

Unrelated point: Eee, this is my 500th post!  :021:

Burt

Surely the fact that we are out of season is a factor. Bound to be quieter. During the season there are bound to be far more posts / opinions around our manager, the players, our form, where we will end up, and so forth.

Admin

Quote from: BalDrick on July 01, 2012, 04:57:32 PM

Because I would hope from the tone of my post that I'm not saying 'I hate you all, especially your smileys' but instead wondering if anyone else has started to feel the same way. If all I wanted to say was the former, I wouldn't bother, I'd just go. Who knows, it's possible tomorrow (I guess more people look on here during work hours, at least in the close season, than over a summer weekend) there'll be lots of people saying 'yeah those smileys have got beyond a joke' and there'll be some kind of a cull. Doubt it, my point being I have liked this board and I'm not about to close my account, just wondering if others feel the same.

'Bottom line is Tiff isn't a shade on FOF. I'm not being bias but it's full of idiots and a playground for some of Fulham's special brigade. They know they can go there and get away with blue murder.'

I'm well aware of that, but actually there can also be decent discussions (sh1t, just lost another wicket) on there, of which there have been a few recently.

Posts like this point fingers which in my eyes is exactly what you've come on here to do. In turn, people jump on the band wagon and it'll end up being an evening of "Lets slate FOF". I'm sorry, but I'm watching this post and if it gets out of hand, I will close it down and consider issuing you with a cooling off period for provoking it.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

it's close season mate,wait till we starts signing players,things will look up,it always does

Mr_Moon

Naughty BalDrick, it's the gulags for you.

MJG

Quote from: Admin on July 01, 2012, 05:03:19 PM

I'm well aware of that, but actually there can also be decent discussions (sh1t, just lost another wicket) on there, of which there have been a few recently.

Posts like this point fingers which in my eyes is exactly what you've come on here to do. In turn, people jump on the band wagon and it'll end up being an evening of "Lets slate FOF". I'm sorry, but I'm watching this post and if it gets out of hand, I will close it down and consider issuing you with a cooling off period for provoking it.
that's a bit strong don't you think? Cooling off period!! For starting a thread which just asks a few questions.
Bit OTT admin?

BalDrick

Quote from: Admin on July 01, 2012, 05:03:19 PM

Well I am genuinely sorry you see it that way, it is absolutely not the way it was intended, as you'll see from what I've said. If other people turn it into a witch hunt, I'm sorry but I ain't taking the rap for that - as it happens I have now finished working and won't be back online till tomorrow morning, some time between half 7 and 8 UK time. So whatever happens over the next 14 hours, it's not down to me.

Ron Sheepskin

Personally I feel that it gets a bit quieter because there are posters (of which I am one) who are wholly and blissfully ignorant of the career statistics of a player in France/Belgium/Wherever that I've never heard of.

I cannot join in discussions about which right back to buy when I've no idea who the player is that's being discussed. This is probably down to my age - I don't follow football avidly in other countries, or play video games, so would rather leave it to those that do. I suspect (cue sweeping generalisation) that these will be mainly the younger generation of posters, and it is evident that there are a sizeable number of us that don't fall into that category.

Given that premise, then I  will find at this time of year I am more interested in the posts about what people are reading, or holiday recommendations, or Peabody's upcoming operation, or best looking women over 40.

So, anyone been on a good holiday lately?
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

LBNo11

...I have noticed this only in the last four or five days to be honest, and I think there are various factors, which have been alluded to already, but they are worth pointing out for their relevance:-

1) Finnster's death has taken posters aback and his passing has left a void and a bit of a pall on here.
2) It is midway through the football summer break, yes there is football on the box, but it is not Fulham. This is much the same most years.
3) Fulham are keeping the transfer negotiations close to their collective chests and this creates a vacuum of information so little to discuss, apart from sheer speculation.
4) This time last year we were preparing for our European tour (Part II), with a new manager and there was plenty to discuss.
5) Some of the posters you mention may be on summer breaks/holidays themselves.

We have many more new members than last year and the sites popularity is increasing to grow,  when the season starts this board will come back to full life....
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

VicHalomsLovechild

I'd have to agree with MJG, Ad's. I just saw it as an open question without an ulterior motive. I've found FOF the best of all the Fulham boards. A good mix of posters and a light touch when it comes to the administration of the board. The way Finns passing has been handled is a prime example of that.

Keep posting Baldrick. I find your points of view interesting  :54:

Berserker

I think alot of people are doing outside stuff this time of the year, even with the wet weather, therefore are not indoors sat behind a computer. As has previously been said, over the last few summers Fulham FC have had a few issues plus football matches to sort out, so there was more for Fulham fans to discuss. I'm sure things will liven up soon enough
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.