Main Menu

Would you take £10m for Dempsey?

Started by Burt, July 01, 2012, 05:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

From today's Sunday Times

ANFIELD CHASE £10m STRIKER
Jonathan Northcroft – football correspondent

Liverpool are considering a bit for Fulham's Clint Dempsey but have been told it will take at least £10m to prise the 29 year old United States star from Craven Cottage. Dempsey has been admired by his compatriots in Fenway Sports Group, who own Liverpool, and Brendan Rodgers, the club's new manager, is weighing up whether to go for a player who scored 23 goals in all competitions for Fulham last season.

Liverpool retain hopes of signing Gylfi Sigurdssin, the Hoffenheim midfielder who played under Rodgers at Swansea, although Tottenham are the favourites to land the Iceland international. Dempsey is on the list of alternatives being considered.

Fulham want to keep their player of the season but, with just one year left on his contract, recognise that doing so may not make financial sense. They want £10m for Dempsey, who has also been linked with Arsenal and Roma. Liverpool would be looking for a considerably lower price.

Burt

It would leave us with a serious hole to fill... Hope it doesn't come to pass.

Ron Sheepskin

and of course Clint would leap at the chance to move to a club in the Champions League. Oh, wait...
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

The Doctor

Yes, I would.

What amazed me was the obvious implication of the article that Liverpool want him as a striker.  You can't argue with his strike rate for us,  but most of them have come from midfield.  And Liverpool probably don't need another attacking midfielder - Gerrard and Suarez give them enough options in that department.

From our point of view, I don't think it would be a bad thing to break our dependency on Dempsey for goals.

Burt

I guess £10m when there is only a year to go on the contract would probably be quite tempting. Not convinced Liverpool will go that far though.

It would be disappointing if Dempsey did go. More so if it was to a team that only just finished above us last season...

Berserker

I wouldn't have thought he would want to go to Liverpool.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

VicHalomsLovechild

What do I have to do for the 10 mill? it would come in handy to be honest. I'll redecorate the spare room and take him over the park for a run about at weekends. What else would be required and who do I need to ring?

EJL

If he has no plans to sign a new deal then I would take it.

sipwell

If they would send it to my personal account, why not? It is enough money to live off comfortably.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

PaulUMD

MJG

Quote from: EJL on July 01, 2012, 05:36:30 PM
If he has no plans to sign a new deal then I would take it.
And thats the answer really. No contract signed in the first week back then offer him to clubs straight away.
And no I dont think we should let him stay for a year and then let him go on a free and say thanks for all you did.

ElissonSnygg

No. Not replaceable for that money.
Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

MJG

Quote from: ElissonSnygg on July 01, 2012, 07:01:27 PM
so what do you do if he does not sign an extension? Let him go free next summer?

panto

With the uncertainty of a new manager and Seeing Roy and Konchesky hounded out by fans he will be mad going to liverpool this season possibly next season on a free.

ElissonSnygg

Quote from: MJG on July 01, 2012, 07:59:17 PM
Quote from: ElissonSnygg on July 01, 2012, 07:01:27 PM
so what do you do if he does not sign an extension? Let him go free next summer?

First of all, i let him go for more money, like 13-14. But then I'm still favouring another year and then releasing him. Even if it hurts to say it.
Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

sunburywhite

If he does not sign a new contract them you have to take whatever you can get

Look at it another way, how much would you pay for him to play next season? £3 m?

If he does not sign then anything above what you are willing for him to play another season is fair reward.

This is as much as he is worth even if he is worth £10m on paper
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Bassey the warrior

Given his age I think we'd struggle to get more so yes I would if we were to sell. Hopefully he stays though.

Aldo

Quote from: panto on July 01, 2012, 08:10:23 PM
With the uncertainty of a new manager and Seeing Roy and Konchesky hounded out by fans he will be mad going to liverpool this season possibly next season on a free.

To be fair Demps and Konch are not really comparable!

The Doctor

Quote from: Aldo on July 01, 2012, 08:57:03 PM
To be fair Demps and Konch are not really comparable!

Quite.  Clint's mum is highly unlikely to start coating off the scousers