watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

10 Worst Fulham Premier League Signings

Started by King_Crud, July 04, 2012, 12:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Crud

The Ruiz one is a bit WTF, but otherwise do you agree?

Quote10. Gabriel Zakuani
After beginning his career at Leyton Orient, Fulham decided to spend £1million on the central defender, rising to £1.5million on appearances. They needn't have worried about that extra £500,000, as Zakuani never even made a first team appearance for the club. He joined Peterborough after three barren seasons.

9. Jon Harley
Harley was unable to break into the first team at a west London club (Chelsea), before he moved clubs and was unable to break into the first team at a west London club (Fulham). The difference was that Fulham paid £3.5million for the full back, who left on a free transfer after 25 Premier League games in three seasons.

8. Bryan Ruiz
Perhaps I am being unfair and Ruiz just hasn't settled yet, but figures of £10.6million (the fee) and two Premier League goals in 27 games (the return) after arriving from the Dutch league are Afonso Alves-like statistics. Ruiz will need to hit the ground running next season or he will move sharply up this list.

7. Andrejs Stolcers
The Latvian arrived from Spartak Moscow after just six months at the Russian club. Such was his impressive form that Fulham paid £2million for his services. Staying at Fulham for four years, he only managed to make 25 appearances, never impressing significantly, and even being loaned out to Yeovil. He ended his career at Hayes and Yeading.

6. Hamer Bouazza
Bouazza is a strange one, because he actually looks a decent player at times, but just too often goes missing for massive periods of games. Fulham paid Watford £3million for the Algerian, but he just didn't cut it in the Premier League. He moved on loan to Charlton after just one season, and then permanently to Sivasspor in Turkey on a permanent deal, with a significant loss made.

5. Abdeslam Ouaddou
Joining Fulham in 2001 for £2million, the club hoped that Ouaddou would form part of a solid defence made up primarily of Frenchmen. Given that he played just 21 times (and most of these as a substitute) in two seasons before being released on a free shows exactly why Jean Tigana's preference for French-based players didn't always pay dividends.

4. Diomansy Kamara
The signing of Kamara was a huge gamble for Fulham. They paid £6million for a player who had only scored five goals in his two previous Premier League seasons combined. The Senegal striker vowed to 'score lots of goals at Fulham'. You suspect 12 league goals in four seasons wasn't exactly what Fulham had in mind, and they loaned Kamara first to Celtic and then Leicester, before allowing his contract to expire.

3. Leon Andreasen
Bought for £2million a few days after, and for a similar price to, Brede Hangeland, Andreasen pretty much stunk the place out in his sole season at the Cottage. Joining on a three-and-a-half year deal, the Dane initially returned to Germany after six months of sub appearances and struggling for form. Hangeland, meanwhile, remained as the one Scandinavian rock.

2. Eddie Johnson
If you pay £3million for a striker in the modern era, you cannot necessarily expect him to be top scorer in the Premier League. You could, however, expect him to score a single league goal, and register more than four shots on target in the league in three seasons. Johnson was loaned out three times before finally being released, and is damn well lucky not to be at the top of this list.

1. Steve Marlet
Let's get the good bit out of the way: Marlet actually scored 11 league goals for Fulham. Unfortunately, he cost them £11.5million, played less than 15 games per season in his four campaigns (actually being on loan at Fulham's expense for two-and-a-half years), and is seen as one of the biggest wastes of money in Premier League history. So bad was Marlet that Al-Fayed actually took former manager Tigana to court, insinuating that the gaffer had deliberately overpaid for the striker, taking a cut himself. That's a hit to the ego of any player.

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2012/07/top-10-worst-premier-league-signings-fulham/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+%28Off+The+Post%29

JBH

Quote from: King_Crud on July 04, 2012, 12:27:40 PM
The Ruiz one is a bit WTF, but otherwise do you agree?

Quote10. Gabriel Zakuani
After beginning his career at Leyton Orient, Fulham decided to spend £1million on the central defender, rising to £1.5million on appearances. They needn't have worried about that extra £500,000, as Zakuani never even made a first team appearance for the club. He joined Peterborough after three barren seasons.

9. Jon Harley
Harley was unable to break into the first team at a west London club (Chelsea), before he moved clubs and was unable to break into the first team at a west London club (Fulham). The difference was that Fulham paid £3.5million for the full back, who left on a free transfer after 25 Premier League games in three seasons.

8. Bryan Ruiz
Perhaps I am being unfair and Ruiz just hasn't settled yet, but figures of £10.6million (the fee) and two Premier League goals in 27 games (the return) after arriving from the Dutch league are Afonso Alves-like statistics. Ruiz will need to hit the ground running next season or he will move sharply up this list.

7. Andrejs Stolcers
The Latvian arrived from Spartak Moscow after just six months at the Russian club. Such was his impressive form that Fulham paid £2million for his services. Staying at Fulham for four years, he only managed to make 25 appearances, never impressing significantly, and even being loaned out to Yeovil. He ended his career at Hayes and Yeading.

6. Hamer Bouazza
Bouazza is a strange one, because he actually looks a decent player at times, but just too often goes missing for massive periods of games. Fulham paid Watford £3million for the Algerian, but he just didn't cut it in the Premier League. He moved on loan to Charlton after just one season, and then permanently to Sivasspor in Turkey on a permanent deal, with a significant loss made.

5. Abdeslam Ouaddou
Joining Fulham in 2001 for £2million, the club hoped that Ouaddou would form part of a solid defence made up primarily of Frenchmen. Given that he played just 21 times (and most of these as a substitute) in two seasons before being released on a free shows exactly why Jean Tigana's preference for French-based players didn't always pay dividends.

4. Diomansy Kamara
The signing of Kamara was a huge gamble for Fulham. They paid £6million for a player who had only scored five goals in his two previous Premier League seasons combined. The Senegal striker vowed to 'score lots of goals at Fulham'. You suspect 12 league goals in four seasons wasn't exactly what Fulham had in mind, and they loaned Kamara first to Celtic and then Leicester, before allowing his contract to expire.

3. Leon Andreasen
Bought for £2million a few days after, and for a similar price to, Brede Hangeland, Andreasen pretty much stunk the place out in his sole season at the Cottage. Joining on a three-and-a-half year deal, the Dane initially returned to Germany after six months of sub appearances and struggling for form. Hangeland, meanwhile, remained as the one Scandinavian rock.

2. Eddie Johnson
If you pay £3million for a striker in the modern era, you cannot necessarily expect him to be top scorer in the Premier League. You could, however, expect him to score a single league goal, and register more than four shots on target in the league in three seasons. Johnson was loaned out three times before finally being released, and is damn well lucky not to be at the top of this list.

1. Steve Marlet
Let's get the good bit out of the way: Marlet actually scored 11 league goals for Fulham. Unfortunately, he cost them £11.5million, played less than 15 games per season in his four campaigns (actually being on loan at Fulham's expense for two-and-a-half years), and is seen as one of the biggest wastes of money in Premier League history. So bad was Marlet that Al-Fayed actually took former manager Tigana to court, insinuating that the gaffer had deliberately overpaid for the striker, taking a cut himself. That's a hit to the ego of any player.

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2012/07/top-10-worst-premier-league-signings-fulham/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+%28Off+The+Post%29

Total disagree about Bryan Ruiz he has all ready shown his class and was injured just as he started producing.

The one player missing of the list who should be at #1 is Lee Cook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HillingdonFFC

Stolcers was bought during the championship promotion year? .Think Kamara repayed his fee alone with those goals at Man City, also think its far too early to put Ruiz in there

cottage cheese

i thought andreason was what we needed at that time a bit of steel in the midfield.

have people forgotten about simon elliot,
elrich,
runstrom,
drobny,
lastuvka (remember conceded goals by letting the ball run under his arm)
warner
brown(such a thug and had 1 good game against chelsea)
radzinksi (utter utter sh**e)
healy

i have so many who deserve to be on this list over kamara (who saved us)

MJG

Elrich was the worst footballer in the Prem let alone only Fulham's.

JBH

Disagree about Radz he was pretty decent.

What about Litmanen??

cottage cheese

Quote from: The King on July 04, 2012, 01:08:51 PM
Quote from: JBH on July 04, 2012, 01:04:53 PM
What about Litmanen??

No.

jari is a legend. he saved us from relegation with his presence...a

nd radz played as a striker mostly and it took him till march to score his first goal that season against west brom. He was just speed with no end product, could not takle nor pass.

HatterDon

The measure of how much Steve Marlet is hated is the fact that he's considered worse than Eddie Johnson.

Kind of a pointless article, isn't it?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

beijing ben

Elrich, Litmanen and Cook are good calls. Some players were bad but maybe shouldn't be included because of how they became popular with the fans. Radz and Warner definitely fall into that category. Terrible performances yes, but loved by many fans nonetheless

Marlet's huge transfer fee is the biggest contributer to him always being number one in things like this, along with the manner of his leaving. But he did show true quality on a couple of occasions, especially at home to Bolton, where he completely ran the show. Players like Cook, Litmanen, Elrich, Zakuani etc., contributed very little, or literally nothing..

sunburywhite

David Elm?

Johnson had to be the worst footballer I have ever seen (apart from Ken Hewkins)
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Two Ton Ted

That list is nonsense. At £3m each and a return of zilch in apperances and goals, Johnson & Cook are easily our worst signings.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on July 04, 2012, 12:47:49 PM
Stolcers was bought during the championship promotion year? .Think Kamara repayed his fee alone with those goals at Man City, also think its far too early to put Ruiz in there

Yes, I remember him scoring a cracker away to Tranmere on a Friday night.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Two Ton Ted on July 04, 2012, 02:47:45 PM
Quote from: HillingdonFFC on July 04, 2012, 12:47:49 PM

Yes, I remember him scoring a cracker away to Tranmere on a Friday night.

And on this note what about the Harley special against Villa form fully 35 yardshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8dCPT4puo8

How can any Fulham player scoring a goal like that in a Fulham shirt be listed in worst ever players?

nickmuir

Senior Supporter

Quote from: nickmuir on July 04, 2012, 04:16:55 PM
ruiz is good but he is just lazy

Stats showed that he covered more ground than anyone in several matches.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on July 04, 2012, 01:11:52 PM
The measure of how much Steve Marlet is hated is the fact that he's considered worse than Eddie Johnson.

Kind of a pointless article, isn't it?

I thought it is looking at value for money hence why Marlet is top.

YankeeJim

Perhaps we should move EJ to the top ofthe list in honor of Finnister1. He did love him so!
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Luke

Quote from: MJG on July 04, 2012, 01:00:14 PM
Elrich was the worst footballer in the Prem let alone only Fulham's.

Totally agree with this, me and my old man still use him as the "Well at least he's not as bad as..." whenever we see a poor piece of play.
Here's Davies..... It's on, It is on!!

Alan_C

Bobby Petta, Simon Elliot, Paul Parker (the return of) and possibly more controversial Steve Sidwell.