watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army

Started by bog, July 10, 2012, 09:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Did anyone see the Sunday Express Sport this week? Only they had a bit about the star of GB's 1960 Olympic football team. This being Bobby Brown. He played 8 games for 'us' as an amateur scoring 4 goals. The most memorable game being a 4-4 home draw with Manchester United when he scored two. I was there folks! Always wondered why he never played more times. A lot better than Alf Stokes!!!

092.gif 

Fernhurst

Blimey Bog ..... You go further back than I...

When I visit the Cottage now I still find the atmosphere outside the ground as wonderful as it was in the 50's.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Fernhurst, that Stevenage Road facade is so atmospheric being over 100 years old. How many times have those little windows at the top of the stand featured in photos? Them 1950's were quite magical. We used to score goals galore....but unfortunitely conceeded a lot also....great times they were!

092.gif     

cmg

The GB team was in a tough group in the 1960 Olympics. Brazil, Italy, China.
Italy had the wonderful Gianni Rivera (and current Ireland manager Trappatoni) and Brazil had the magnificent Gerson.

I don't think Bobby Brown wanted to commit to a pro career when he was with us, but he did turn pro later and was well thought of at Watford, Northampton and Cardiff.

ron

If anything, the atmosphere is better in these times than it was back in the '50's and the first half of the '60's...in those days it was mainly composed of sulphurous smoke and soot in the air...with that familiar haze hanging over the whole of London. Sooty grey buildings in the streets and the facade of the JH have transformed and now show their true colour in bright clean air that is fit to breathe. Good old days..?

cmg

Quote from: ron on July 10, 2012, 10:00:41 AM
If anything, the atmosphere is better in these times than it was back in the '50's and the first half of the '60's...in those days it was mainly composed of sulphurous smoke and soot in the air...with that familiar haze hanging over the whole of London. Sooty grey buildings in the streets and the facade of the JH have transformed and now show their true colour in bright clean air that is fit to breathe. Good old days..?

However posh the stadium is, you can't beat terraces for atmosphere.

bog

Yes cmg it was a tough group. App GB should have beaten Brazil, Bobby scored twice. But a GB player, a certain Tommy Thompson of Stockton, (yes Stockton!) broke his leg in the first half and they lost 4-3. Bobby scored twice, then he scored two more against Italy in a draw. Indeed he played that well against Italy that he was close to being offered a trial for AC Milan! Then there was a change of manager and his chance went. He ended up scoring 6 golas in three games in the tourna. It may be of some interest that two players who missed out gloing were Bob Wilson and Terry Venables.   

Ron. I know where you are coming from. Very unhealthy days for one's lungs! However I think back then watching football was the main outlet for Joe Public's past time. Other than the pub! When you see the grainy footage the grounds were heaving. For the Amateur Cup final there used to be a crowd of 100,000!

092.gif