more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Learning a Language

Started by King_Crud, July 11, 2012, 03:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sipwell

Quote from: Holders on July 12, 2012, 09:47:19 PM

Touche' ('scuse acute not supported by my keyboard, before you say!)

Quote from: sipwell on July 12, 2012, 09:05:17 PM
Quote from: Holders on July 12, 2012, 06:14:23 PM
It's been pretty sucessful then, mate, considering some of the grammar and spelling you get on here!

I know whom to watch evidently :P

Not by mine either, but here is a good tool on the internet (also relevant for the initiator of this thread to write to his amour):
http://french.typeit.org/
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Mr_Moon

Quote from: The Equalizer on July 12, 2012, 11:56:56 AM
I've been using Rosetta Stone to learn Russian over the past few months. It's not easy I tell you, but I think the main issue is trying to read in an alien alphabet. The structure and vocabulary is relatively easy to learn so things are starting to come together for me. It helps having a Russian girlfriend of course...!

I managed to pick my copy up from eBay for £120. It was a brand new and sealed box with everything that I need to know in it. If you buy it new from Rosetta Stone you'll be looking at around £400.

I'm really keen to give it another go with one of the Romantic languages, probably French. I learned it a long time ago and could speak good conversational French (I was able to talk about Sartre and existentialism in French!!). Sadly, I've not practised it for years though and my grasp of the vocab is poor these days to say the least. I reckon I'd pick it up well given about 3 months using Rosetta Stone.

Best of luck mate!

I found Cyrillic extremely easy to learn, unlike the grammar which I found slightly harder. Is Rosetta Stone good then? I just started with a Berlitz book and had my girlfriend to help me anyway so did things on the cheap.

I can speak four languages, albeit not very well. I find the most frustrating thing is when I'm trying to think of a word in one of the languages, it comes to me in another language and I can't get it out of my head. It's just there, shouting at me over and over again.

King_Crud

Quote from: Mr_Moon on July 13, 2012, 12:08:52 AM
I can speak four languages, albeit not very well. I find the most frustrating thing is when I'm trying to think of a word in one of the languages, it comes to me in another language and I can't get it out of my head. It's just there, shouting at me over and over again.

Ah the panic of being in a foreign country and you speak German to everyone as a default, even though German isn't their language

The Equalizer

Quote from: Mr_Moon on July 13, 2012, 12:08:52 AM
Quote from: The Equalizer on July 12, 2012, 11:56:56 AM
I've been using Rosetta Stone to learn Russian over the past few months. It's not easy I tell you, but I think the main issue is trying to read in an alien alphabet. The structure and vocabulary is relatively easy to learn so things are starting to come together for me. It helps having a Russian girlfriend of course...!

I managed to pick my copy up from eBay for £120. It was a brand new and sealed box with everything that I need to know in it. If you buy it new from Rosetta Stone you'll be looking at around £400.

I'm really keen to give it another go with one of the Romantic languages, probably French. I learned it a long time ago and could speak good conversational French (I was able to talk about Sartre and existentialism in French!!). Sadly, I've not practised it for years though and my grasp of the vocab is poor these days to say the least. I reckon I'd pick it up well given about 3 months using Rosetta Stone.

Best of luck mate!

I found Cyrillic extremely easy to learn, unlike the grammar which I found slightly harder. Is Rosetta Stone good then? I just started with a Berlitz book and had my girlfriend to help me anyway so did things on the cheap.

I bought a Russian Berlitz book to assist with some matters, predominantly the alphabet. Rosetta Stone is an excellent way of learning though. It uses images and repetition of the words to embed it into your brain. For example, in the first lesson it will show you a picture of a boy and they say "malchik" which you associate with being a boy. It's also written in cyrillic, so you get to recognise the words.

A couple of lessons later it will say "malchik" and then you have to click on a picture that you relate to that word. Basically it's just like learning again as a kid.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc