more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Learning a Language

Started by King_Crud, July 11, 2012, 03:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

Quote from: Berserker on July 11, 2012, 08:46:05 PM
I've tried french quite alot, have a bit of difficulty as partially deaf and can't pick up words if they speak fast, which they generally do. I think i would be ok if i lived in france and had alot of practice.

...the most useful phrase I learned when going to France the first time, which has stood me in good stead was "pourriez-vous parlez a plus lentement" (phonetically something close to) poorie-ay-voo parlay a ploo larntemarnt

Translated it means "Would you please speak a little more slowly" this always works because they then speak to you in English.. :005:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Berserker

Quote from: LBNo11 on July 11, 2012, 10:19:20 PM
Quote from: Berserker on July 11, 2012, 08:46:05 PM
I've tried french quite alot, have a bit of difficulty as partially deaf and can't pick up words if they speak fast, which they generally do. I think i would be ok if i lived in france and had alot of practice.

...the most useful phrase I learned when going to France the first time, which has stood me in good stead was "pourriez-vous parlez a plus lentement" (phonetically something close to) poorie-ay-voo parlay a ploo larntemarnt

Translated it means "Would you please speak a little more slowly" this always works because they then speak to you in English.. :005:

To be honest LB alot of the time when I'm in france and try to speak French, the french person does indeed speak back to me in English. The only problem I have is when I'm in an area that is not touristy because they do not speak English. Mr Berserker wanted some fancy crepe dessert that was on pictured on the front of a menu  in a bar in Lens, I had to then try and explain that he wanted that and not the ones listed, it was a nightmare, to be fair to establishment though they did come back with something similar.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

ron

Be sure to include in your learning strategy singing along with songs on the internet in your chosen language, while following the lyrics on the screen, preferably with a translation too.

It's a kind of light hearted way of learning. It's amazing that the lack of pressure allows a lot of the vocabulary and some of the verb forms to stick in the memory. And it's a bit of fun in the bargain!

HatterDon

After a few visits to Paris, I finally hit on the secret to getting quick service in their bistros -- speak German. Since I had very long hair and a beard, they knew I wasn't the usual American in their midst, but they would still ignore me very well. Once they thought they were dealing with a German, ... .
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Berserker

Quote from: HatterDon on July 11, 2012, 11:10:16 PM
After a few visits to Paris, I finally hit on the secret to getting quick service in their bistros -- speak German. Since I had very long hair and a beard, they knew I wasn't the usual American in their midst, but they would still ignore me very well. Once they thought they were dealing with a German, ... .

Yes it's the same reaction with Mr Berserker being a Scot
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

LBNo11

Quote from: Berserker on July 11, 2012, 11:17:03 PM

...my brother-in-law is also a Scot, and when we are in France, as soon as he points out he is from Ecosse, they all love him, but fart in my general direction and tell me my mother smells of elderberries - ah zut...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

King_Crud

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on July 11, 2012, 08:52:59 PM
Also, KC, I believe our mutual wassname Mars is fluent.

He's disappeared off the radar lately, doing raves and bike rides apparently, and writing hippy love messages on facebook

King_Crud

Quote from: LBNo11 on July 11, 2012, 11:22:07 PM
Quote from: Berserker on July 11, 2012, 11:17:03 PM

...my brother-in-law is also a Scot, and when we are in France, as soon as he points out he is from Ecosse, they all love him, but fart in my general direction and tell me my mother smells of elderberries - ah zut...

My mum's friend, who spoke ok French, had a hard time at a pattisserie she visited daily for a week, in Paris. She was mocked by the staff and they made comments about her French (they spoke English), she finally asked them why they were so rude to her they made a comment about her being English and they don't like the English. When she pointed out she was Australian they became very apologetic and gave her free food.

gang

The best asset you have to help you is your girlfriend. My wife is an Englanderin and when she gets mad I can't understand a word. Gott sei Dank.

Mr_Moon

Quote from: King_Crud on July 12, 2012, 09:00:26 AM

My mum's friend, who spoke ok French, had a hard time at a pattisserie she visited daily for a week, in Paris. She was mocked by the staff and they made comments about her French (they spoke English), she finally asked them why they were so rude to her they made a comment about her being English and they don't like the English. When she pointed out she was Australian they became very apologetic and gave her free food.

Was that when on the way out she actually confessed to being English and did a runner?

King_Crud

Quote from: Mr_Moon on July 12, 2012, 11:36:25 AM
Quote from: King_Crud on July 12, 2012, 09:00:26 AM

Was that when on the way out she actually confessed to being English and did a runner?

oh how we laughed

The Equalizer

I've been using Rosetta Stone to learn Russian over the past few months. It's not easy I tell you, but I think the main issue is trying to read in an alien alphabet. The structure and vocabulary is relatively easy to learn so things are starting to come together for me. It helps having a Russian girlfriend of course...!

I managed to pick my copy up from eBay for £120. It was a brand new and sealed box with everything that I need to know in it. If you buy it new from Rosetta Stone you'll be looking at around £400.

I'm really keen to give it another go with one of the Romantic languages, probably French. I learned it a long time ago and could speak good conversational French (I was able to talk about Sartre and existentialism in French!!). Sadly, I've not practised it for years though and my grasp of the vocab is poor these days to say the least. I reckon I'd pick it up well given about 3 months using Rosetta Stone.

Best of luck mate!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

King_Crud

Quote from: The Equalizer on July 12, 2012, 11:56:56 AM
I'm really keen to give it another go with one of the Romantic languages, probably French.

Funny, my missus says that expression of love and affection is better in English, and that whilst French may sound nicer to the ear, what is being said isn't as romantic as one may think.

Russian doesn't sound sexy at all

Jack Fulham

got a huge amount of respect for people who are multi lingual... wish i could speak different languages but I'm just far too lazy. Would be handy.

FFChris

I have been learning Italian for 8 months and am absolutely loving it.  Shame I waited until I'm 48 to start!

sipwell

Here would be my life-lessons regarding learning a new language:

1) Practice as much as you can but also ASK the other party to CORRECT you. I have found that many people have inhibitions when it comes to correcting someone if they say something wrong (or was it 'incorrect'?). After all, you are learning a language which is their mother tongue. I have asked Airfix early on to correct me and he does. I have had great help to further perfect my English.

2) Learn the language PASSIVELY as well and early on. There is no bigger setback to learning another language than lacking the vocabulary to actually talk to people. A lot of people give up because they are unable to express themselves. It has been hard work but I have compiled a list of words/idioms and phrases in English by taking a subscription to, in my case the most relevant magazine, The Economist. I always read it with a marker, highlighting words I did not know and filling them in a database later on. It takes some time but I can safely say that I do use 90 % of the words I had initially highlighting. Use an online French dictionary to find out their meaning and their synonyms. By expanding your vocabulary, you will feel less stressed to express yourself in French and then it'll go very fast.

3) Write in the language and force yourself to look up words you don't know. If your Mrs. is a French speaker, write to her in French. Use a dictionary and gradually you'll see your language skills will improve.

4) Steal with your eyes and your ears. I have a notebook where I write down things I hear or see, where I know I have been making mistakes in the past.

5) Find a French messageboard and blab about anything related to the topic. FoF has been my personal language perfector over the past couple of years.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Holders

It's been pretty sucessful then, mate, considering some of the grammar and spelling you get on here!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

sipwell

Quote from: Holders on July 12, 2012, 06:14:23 PM
It's been pretty sucessful then, mate, considering some of the grammar and spelling you get on here!

I know whom to watch evidently :P

sipwell

Quote from: The Equalizer on July 12, 2012, 11:56:56 AM
I learned it a long time ago and could speak good conversational French (I was able to talk about Sartre and existentialism in French!!).

You forgot to add: after I sipped trois pichons de vin blanc et deux verres de picon.

Holders

Touche' ('scuse acute not supported by my keyboard, before you say!)

Quote from: sipwell on July 12, 2012, 09:05:17 PM
Quote from: Holders on July 12, 2012, 06:14:23 PM

I know whom to watch evidently :P
Non sumus statione ferriviaria