more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My fellow Americans

Started by CincyFulham, July 18, 2012, 06:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on July 19, 2012, 10:57:54 AM
Logic - you might be a US citizen but you're still a British Bobby heart!
Nogood "even if you're now a tech-head, isit" Boyo

Uh-huh, take the boy out of Fulham but not Fulham out of the boy.

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on July 19, 2012, 10:59:43 AM
And what the hell are you doing up so early?  Can't sleep with the excitement or porstrate probs overnight?
Nogood "drip torture, isit" Boyo

I wondered what it was!! Off to work in a mo, though we have a great storm overhead at the moment - rain at last.

HatterDon

Quote from: tslyon on July 19, 2012, 05:04:57 AM
Not gong anywhere.  In fact, the wife and I are traveling to London for Christmas/New Years and already have hospitality tickets (McBride's) for the 29 December game against Swansea.  First game.  I wanted to sit in H5 or 6, but had to keep the better half happy as well.  So, it'll be a little more tame, but I can say, "I've been there"! :wine:

Trust me, you will never find a better venue for watching any sport anywhere in the world. Like the Grand Canyon and Hawaii, it is impossible to oversell Craven Cottage. Enjoy!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

SCFulhmFan

Quote from: Steve_orino on July 18, 2012, 07:38:08 PM
I fear relegation more than I fear not having any Yanks in the squad ... 
If Dempsey does leave, we can always just follow because Emerson Hyndman is in the Academy (Schellas Hyndman's grandson).
Couldn't agree more here.  Also nice one on Emerson.  Didn't know we had another American at Fulham

Steve_orino

Quote from: SCFulhmFan on July 19, 2012, 01:57:33 PM
If Dempsey does leave, we can always just follow because Emerson Hyndman is in the Academy (Schellas Hyndman's grandson).
Couldn't agree more here.  Also nice one on Emerson.  Didn't know we had another American at Fulham

Fulham knows what Team USA doesn't...you have to recruit Texas boys if you want to win.  Football is King in Texas!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

HatterDon

Quote from: Steve_orino on July 19, 2012, 04:11:14 PM
Quote from: SCFulhmFan on July 19, 2012, 01:57:33 PM

Fulham knows what Team USA doesn't...you have to recruit Texas boys if you want to win.  Football is King in Texas!

yee-haw! yee-haw! yee-haw!

Peabody

Quote from: Logicalman on July 19, 2012, 11:07:10 AM
Quote from: NogoodBoyo on July 19, 2012, 10:57:54 AM
Logic - you might be a US citizen but you're still a British Bobby heart!
Nogood "even if you're now a tech-head, isit" Boyo

Uh-huh, take the boy out of Fulham but not Fulham out of the boy.

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on July 19, 2012, 10:59:43 AM
And what the hell are you doing up so early?  Can't sleep with the excitement or porstrate probs overnight?
Nogood "drip torture, isit" Boyo

I wondered what it was!! Off to work in a mo, though we have a great storm overhead at the moment - rain at last.

Not only that, he was brought up in Peabody as well.

Peabody

Got to hand it too you lot from over the pond, I have found this thread quite moving and it has raised my spirits. Plus, who knows, Clint might stay and score against Liverpool.

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

NCSUWhite

I became a fan visiting family (americans) working in London at the time. Chose to see a Fulham game because they had several American's on the team in Winter 2007. West Ham had Jonathan Spector at the time as well. I have been following ever since. Glad I made the right choice!

That being said I will still follow, but I have never experienced the team without one of my countrymen. I love the way the team play and do business so I will definitely still be here if/when Clint is gone. I would however welcome someone Fulham could use like Jozy Altidore, Eric Lichaj, Stuart Holden, or another American skilled enough and at a position of need.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Peabody on July 19, 2012, 09:48:02 PM
Got to hand it too you lot from over the pond, I have found this thread quite moving and it has raised my spirits.

:plus one: starsnstripes

PaulUMD

You know, it's hard to be a soccer (eh, football) fan in the States.  I mean, which club do you choose to support?  You have to support someone or else it's not nearly as fun. 

It's easy to support one of the Big 4 (though that's more like Big 5 now, or at least those 4 are quite different than before!).  But when I saw McBride go to Fulham, then become their captain, I saw something different in the club.  It was like a real, legit Euro football team finally saw something in an American player that represented much about who we are as a people.  McBride was a goddamn warrior.  He wouldn't take anything from anybody.  And Fulham was the type of club that embodied that attitude.  The cute little club that nobody took too seriously until they were competing in the Prem and here to stay. 

Then Clint showed up.  Not everyone scores that goal against Liverpool under that kind of pressure.  In fact, few do.  Then he got better.  He became the focus of the team, a team dependent on a number of good but not great players who earned their keep alone, but played even better as a group.  Together.  I was taken by this, especially in a league dominated by teams of overpaid "superstars" who were mainly out for number one. 

I've found my team.  And if Clint leaves, and the squad is filled only by Maldovian teenagers, it will still be my team.  Fulham embodies the best of what I enjoy about my homeland, and even though I will cheer Clint wherever he goes, I will by screaming COYW for however many years I have left on this world. 

AmericanJames

The Yanks on the squad helped me to catch the Fulham bug, but once I experienced the magic of the Cottage and then an away win I knew I had the disease for life.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

Logicalman

Quote from: Peabody on July 19, 2012, 09:45:09 PM

Where only the best come from Mr P, only the best mate!!!

btw, I traced my family tree back recently, and found we have been 'peabodies' (sp) since late 19th Century. And, just to turn full circle, the founder, George Peabody, was an American, born in South Danvers, Massachusetts, USA, moving permanently to the UK at the age of 42, and remaining there the rest of his life, and was 'temporarily' buried at in Westminster Abbey.

epsomraver

Quote from: Logicalman on July 20, 2012, 10:30:19 AM
Quote from: Peabody on July 19, 2012, 09:45:09 PM

Where only the best come from Mr P, only the best mate!!!

btw, I traced my family tree back recently, and found we have been 'peabodies' (sp) since late 19th Century. And, just to turn full circle, the founder, George Peabody, was an American, born in South Danvers, Massachusetts, USA, moving permanently to the UK at the age of 42, and remaining there the rest of his life, and was 'temporarily' buried at in Westminster Abbey.

I got temporarily buried once around the back of the Abbey, she worked for some MP across the road :011: :011:

Porkopolis

I won't be going anywhere. I love Fulham and will always love Fulham. To borrow an American phrase: we cheer for laundry, not for players.

btings

I've only really followed Fulham for a season, and Dempsey was obviously part (though not all) of the reason I decided on Fulham.  But no, I won't be going anywhere.  I've got FFC coasters on my coffee table, for heaven's sake.

(This is my first post.  I suppose I should go hit the exile introduction thread later on.)

BillNRoc

My guess is that only those who are sure they will stay are posting here. I'm not sure I'll stay if Clint goes, primarily because I'm not sure I'll like the way the team plays football. I'm not persuaded FFC is stronger at striker today than it was with AJ and Pog, so I wonder where the goals would come from without Dempsey.

Dembele is top-notch, but he doesn't score much. Ruiz???  Sure, Hugo has scored BPL goals, but he was MIA during Wigan's late run to safety last season.

Like others, I came to follow FFC thanks to McBride, stuck it out through the relegation struggle to enjoy the march through Europe, and delighted at Dempsey's emergence as a top player.  Without that kind of warrior, would FFC struggle to score and slip toward the bottom third of the table? It would be hard to stay engaged with a team like that.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: BillNRoc on July 20, 2012, 05:59:25 PM
My guess is that only those who are sure they will stay are posting here. I'm not sure I'll stay if Clint goes, primarily because I'm not sure I'll like the way the team plays football. I'm not persuaded FFC is stronger at striker today than it was with AJ and Pog, so I wonder where the goals would come from without Dempsey.

Dembele is top-notch, but he doesn't score much. Ruiz???  Sure, Hugo has scored BPL goals, but he was MIA during Wigan's late run to safety last season.

Like others, I came to follow FFC thanks to McBride, stuck it out through the relegation struggle to enjoy the march through Europe, and delighted at Dempsey's emergence as a top player.  Without that kind of warrior, would FFC struggle to score and slip toward the bottom third of the table? It would be hard to stay engaged with a team like that.

Fair enough for being honest, but why not just cut out the middle man and support a top team that wins a lot and plays exciting football?

HatterDon

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on July 20, 2012, 07:47:01 PM
Quote from: BillNRoc on July 20, 2012, 05:59:25 PM

Fair enough for being honest, but why not just cut out the middle man and support a top team that wins a lot and plays exciting football?

sigh; I guess it might have been better to have this thread on the exiles page. I think it's safer to have an opinion of your own over there.

Lighthouse

My fellow fans. Some of you are indeed American. Some of you shoot each other while we Brits drink lots of tea and are jolly good losers.

Stereotypes are created to make us all happy with our 'gang' and feel a part of something bigger than ourselves. But we are all Fulham fans. If some American fans decide to leave if we struggle or  if their fellow Americans decide not to play for us anymore. Then good luck and thanks for your company. Hope you keep in touch because a place is always here as a Fulham fan even a lapsed one. Every club and their fans think they are unique. At Fulham we don't think we are unique we know we are.

An older fan like me is still  thrilled that Fulham can attract fans from around the World. There was a time I had to apologise for being a Fulham fan thirty miles away from the club because few people had heard of us other than through comedy shows. So for those that stay, you make up part of what makes us unique. For those that go, thanks for the chat and the support.

We are proud to have known you. At least if you go there will be less fans to disagree with me ALL THE BLOODY TIME.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope