Previous topic - Next topic

zzamora

Quote from: HatterDon on July 18, 2012, 07:44:39 PM
Quote from: CincyFulham on July 18, 2012, 07:16:57 PM
Quote from: ddeuce on July 18, 2012, 07:00:35 PM
Quote from: Mr Fulham on July 18, 2012, 07:00:00 PM
ddeuce is english!!!

And i'm staying DDeuce whatever!

Well dip me in sh*t and roll me in bread crumbs.....Thought you were one of us ddeuce.

I can understand why you'd think he was a Yank. ddeuce is bright, articulate, and well informed.  086.gif

Awww HD!  :dft001:

Hhugo? no! ddeuce...

and I'm stone cold English. London born and bred...

Berserker

You'll get bored Lighthouse  if everybody agrees with you ;-)
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

MisfitKid

Cookie and I got here at the same time, I am not going anywhere...   starsnstripes
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: HatterDon on July 20, 2012, 10:48:22 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on July 20, 2012, 07:47:01 PM
Quote from: BillNRoc on July 20, 2012, 05:59:25 PM
My guess is that only those who are sure they will stay are posting here. I'm not sure I'll stay if Clint goes, primarily because I'm not sure I'll like the way the team plays football. I'm not persuaded FFC is stronger at striker today than it was with AJ and Pog, so I wonder where the goals would come from without Dempsey.

Dembele is top-notch, but he doesn't score much. Ruiz???  Sure, Hugo has scored BPL goals, but he was MIA during Wigan's late run to safety last season.

Like others, I came to follow FFC thanks to McBride, stuck it out through the relegation struggle to enjoy the march through Europe, and delighted at Dempsey's emergence as a top player.  Without that kind of warrior, would FFC struggle to score and slip toward the bottom third of the table? It would be hard to stay engaged with a team like that.

Fair enough for being honest, but why not just cut out the middle man and support a top team that wins a lot and plays exciting football?

sigh; I guess it might have been better to have this thread on the exiles page. I think it's safer to have an opinion of your own over there.

it must be lonely on that moral high ground, oh great one.

ImperialWhite

My guess is that only those who are sure they will stay are posting here. I'm not sure I'll stay if Clint goes, primarily because I'm not sure I'll like the way the team plays football. I'm not persuaded FFC is stronger at striker today than it was with AJ and Pog, so I wonder where the goals would come from without Dempsey.

Dembele is top-notch, but he doesn't score much. Ruiz???  Sure, Hugo has scored BPL goals, but he was MIA during Wigan's late run to safety last season.

Like others, I came to follow FFC thanks to McBride, stuck it out through the relegation struggle to enjoy the march through Europe, and delighted at Dempsey's emergence as a top player.  Without that kind of warrior, would FFC struggle to score and slip toward the bottom third of the table? It would be hard to stay engaged with a team like that.

Fair enough for being honest, but why not just cut out the middle man and support a top team that wins a lot and plays exciting football?

sigh; I guess it might have been better to have this thread on the exiles page. I think it's safer to have an opinion of your own over there.

He has a point though, doesn't he?

It must be hard following a team from abroad - you're restricted to television broadcasts, radio and club output. You're not going to get that if the club isn't in or around the topflight.

As a Ligue 1 follower, I doubt anyone would be too worried about me 'glory hunting' or anything like that if I chose to follow PSG over Red Star, OM over Aubagne FC. All I'd have if I followed the latter teams would be the match reports and the scores. What fun is that?

Equally, as a foreigner you're less likely to have a personal connection to a particular town or team. Why not pick the team who's football you like the most, is going to win stuff and be exciting to follow?

epsomraver

Quote from: ImperialWhite on July 21, 2012, 08:30:23 AM

It must be hard following a team from abroad - you're restricted to television broadcasts, radio and club output. You're not going to get that if the club isn't in or around the topflight.

As a Ligue 1 follower, I doubt anyone would be too worried about me 'glory hunting' or anything like that if I chose to follow PSG over Red Star, OM over Aubagne FC. All I'd have if I followed the latter teams would be the match reports and the scores. What fun is that?

Equally, as a foreigner you're less likely to have a personal connection to a particular town or team. Why not pick the team who's football you like the most, is going to win stuff and be exciting to follow?

Well that rules Fulham out then

BillNRoc

Well, that stirred things up a bit!

The thing is, I became a Fulham fan thanks to a Sept 2007 visit to the Cottage (we drew 3-3 with the old Man City). It was McBride's team (even though he was injured at the time) and it just felt right, compared to watching Chelsea and Blackburn draw at Stamford Bridge - no emotional connection there, to the place or the players or certainly not the owner.

I'm not likely to get another visit at today's prices so I am left with TV coverage and the Internet. If Clint stays, I feel confident the team will compete with spirit even against teams with much larger payrolls. With Murphy already gone, if Clint leaves I wonder about the spirit as well as the scoring.

I lack confidence in Jol's stewardship and I don't see another warrior who could step up in the McBride/Dempsey fashion. You don't mind if your team gets outspent, but if they get outfought and give a poor account of themselves....

YankeeJim

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 20, 2012, 11:32:37 PM
My fellow fans. Some of you are indeed American. Some of you shoot each other while we Brits drink lots of tea and are jolly good losers.

Stereotypes are created to make us all happy with our 'gang' and feel a part of something bigger than ourselves. But we are all Fulham fans. If some American fans decide to leave if we struggle or  if their fellow Americans decide not to play for us anymore. Then good luck and thanks for your company. Hope you keep in touch because a place is always here as a Fulham fan even a lapsed one. Every club and their fans think they are unique. At Fulham we don't think we are unique we know we are.

An older fan like me is still  thrilled that Fulham can attract fans from around the World. There was a time I had to apologise for being a Fulham fan thirty miles away from the club because few people had heard of us other than through comedy shows. So for those that stay, you make up part of what makes us unique. For those that go, thanks for the chat and the support.

We are proud to have known you. At least if you go there will be less fans to disagree with me ALL THE BLOODY TIME.

..and the beacon of light shines forth.  :54:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Mr_Moon

But surely that's a different question. Considering you can watch all Premier League games on television or online, then what you mention in your first paragraph wouldn't be important. That's more of a reflection of 'would you stick around if we were relegated'. I've rarely seen games be shown online from the Championship and below, with the odd exception of Sheff Wed games and UK televised ones.

HatterDon

Quote from: Mr_Moon on July 21, 2012, 06:51:48 PM

But surely that's a different question. Considering you can watch all Premier League games on television or online, then what you mention in your first paragraph wouldn't be important. That's more of a reflection of 'would you stick around if we were relegated'. I've rarely seen games be shown online from the Championship and below, with the odd exception of Sheff Wed games and UK televised ones.

There's usually 2 Championship matches shown each weekend on FS+. I enjoy the football even more than on the Prem sometimes -- primarily because there's usually only one annoucer.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

jarv

Don, would you recommend FS+ then. maybe I will get it.

HatterDon

Quote from: jarv on July 21, 2012, 08:53:33 PM
Don, would you recommend FS+ then. maybe I will get it.

I do. If you have DVR, you'll be able to record/watch pretty much everything that happens on a weekend. FSC, FS+ and ESPN have every match. Also, occasionally the 'big' Fox shows matches. You won't miss Fulham at all -- although most of them are tape delayed.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel