watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mr Giggs thinks its not acceptable

Started by bill taylors apprentice, July 29, 2012, 07:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

I'm Welsh and while I am extremely pro royalist and feel very British I do not and could not sing God Save The Queen as it is the English National Anthem. I am not english, nor will I ever be, nor would I want to and I would say the feeling would probably be mutual with the majority of english people.

If there was an anthem that was different to the English one for Great Britain I would happily sing along.

However there is not. So why when the kingdom unites should the celtic nations be expected to tow the line and sing along joyfully?

Do you think the English boys would sing along to Flower of Scotland or Land of My Fathers if they were the overarching British anthems?

Also from a political (Ed hold back the keys) point of view given the eagerness of Mr Blatter to reduce British influence in FIFA any sign of weakness that potentially gives him the opportunity to merge FA's (even with his assurances I am still sceptical) must be avoided.

The Scots and Northern Irish elected to make their statement by not becoming involved at all. The Welsh have sent out a clear signal that we are not England by not singing along merrily.

Can't you all just be thankful that we came along given all the standout players have been welsh brits.

The Doctor

Whilst Team GB are standing around arguing over the rights and wrongs of whether to sing God Save The Queen, UAE storm through and slot in an equaliser

os5889

Quote from: The Doctor on July 29, 2012, 09:03:29 PM
Whilst Team GB are standing around arguing over the rights and wrongs of whether to sing God Save The Queen, UAE storm through and slot in an equaliser

Good goal, poor english defending...

The Doctor

If your boys had sung the bloody anthem, our lads wouldn't have needed to berate them and could therefore have focussed on the game.

Haven't seen the standings, but hope there's still something for us to play for on Wednesday

os5889

Quote from: The Doctor on July 29, 2012, 09:08:51 PM
If your boys had sung the bloody anthem, our lads wouldn't have needed to berate them and could therefore have focussed on the game.

Haven't seen the standings, but hope there's still something for us to play for on Wednesday

So long as we draw tonight a win will see us through on Wednesday, a win and we need a point

The Doctor

Either way, will be tricky enough.  I'm sure Uruguay will have been stung by their results so far.  Must admit it was well funny watching Suarez moaning on earlier...I like to think that Senegal have got some small measure of vengence for Ghana's WC 2010 exit.

Get in...we've bundled it in.  An English lad playing for a Welsh club.  How unifying

SouthfieldWhite

The Welsh players are probably the better players, that's only because Pearce picked the only decent welsh players on the whole planet where he has picked some of the worst English players ;-)

The Queen is still head of Great Britain I believe so why can't they sing God Save the Queen isn't it boyos;-)

os5889

Wooo, an Englishman playing at Swansea scores a goal from a cross by a Welshman playing at Liverpool.

SouthfieldWhite

Oh look, as soon as a decent English player comes on we score ;-)

The Doctor

Danny Sturridge thinks he's Ruiz.  3-1

SouthfieldWhite

Quote from: os5889 on July 29, 2012, 09:15:25 PM
Wooo, an Englishman playing at Swansea scores a goal from a cross by a Welshman playing at Liverpool.

An Englishman playing at Swansea in THE ENGLISH LEAGUE ;-)

os5889

Quote from: SouthfieldWhite on July 29, 2012, 09:15:04 PM
The Welsh players are probably the better players, that's only because Pearce picked the only decent welsh players on the whole planet where he has picked some of the worst English players ;-)

The Queen is still head of Great Britain I believe so why can't they sing God Save the Queen isn't it boyos;-)

I know, but unfortunately its also the English anthem too, big problem that.

3-1, great goal

Oiseau

Some footballers don't sing the anthem because it helps them to stay level and 'in the zone.' That's absolutely fine and I'm sure that they're proud of their country. It makes me a bit uneasy, though, to witness many Scots and Welsh footballers (both male and female) refusing to sing the anthem on the grounds that they are 'very Scottish' or Welsh (as Kim Little did.) Great Britain is not just English.

Then again, it's a very personal choice and we shouldn't have to impose pride onto these people. They're professional athletes. We can't do anything about it. I just hope that they're proud to represent their country. It's be great if England could have a separate anthem, though, such as 'Jerusalem.'

os5889

I'm sorry but singing God save the queen in front of the world would threaten the independence of bothe the welsh and english FA's.

That bitter Blatter would do anything he could to manoeuvre more power to his cronies.

In my opinion singing the anthem and showing complete union would lead to our special arrangement of 4 FA's in the United Kingdom being withdrawn and then it wouldn't be so fun would it.

Noone else in the World has it...

os5889

Quote from: Oiseau on July 29, 2012, 09:20:14 PM
Some footballers don't sing the anthem because it helps them to say level and 'in the zone.' That's absolutely fine and I'm sure that they're proud of their country. It makes me a bit uneasy, though, to witness many Scots and Welsh footballers (both male and female) refusing to sing the anthem on the grounds that they are 'very Scottish' or Welsh (as Kim Little did.) Great Britain is not just English.

Then again, it's a very personal choice and we shouldn't have to impose pride onto these people. They're professional athletes. We can't do anything about it. I just hope that they're proud to represent their country. It's be great if England could have a separate anthem, though, such as 'Jerusalem.'

I did want to suggest Jerusalem as its always refreshing to hear at the cricket, but I'm sure having it as the anthem would get the PC brigade out in force given its religious leanings.

The Doctor

Quote from: os5889 on July 29, 2012, 09:27:29 PM
I did want to suggest Jerusalem as its always refreshing to hear at the cricket, but I'm sure having it as the anthem would get the PC brigade out in force given its religious leanings.

There's always Pomp & Circumstance No 1/Land of Hope and Glory

os5889

Quote from: The Doctor on July 29, 2012, 09:29:53 PM
Quote from: os5889 on July 29, 2012, 09:27:29 PM

There's always Pomp & Circumstance No 1/Land of Hope and Glory

WE SHALL OVERCOME

We shall overcome, we shall overcome,
we shall overcome some day;
Oh! Deep in my heart I do believe,
we shall overcome some day.

We'll walk hand in hand, . . .
We are not afraid, . . . today . . .
The truth shall make us free . . .
We shall live in peace . . .

Mr_Moon

Quote from: os5889 on July 29, 2012, 09:23:51 PM
I'm sorry but singing God save the queen in front of the world would threaten the independence of bothe the welsh and english FA's.

That bitter Blatter would do anything he could to manoeuvre more power to his cronies.

In my opinion singing the anthem and showing complete union would lead to our special arrangement of 4 FA's in the United Kingdom being withdrawn and then it wouldn't be so fun would it.

Noone else in the World has it...

Hasn't Blatter actually said that it's extremely unlikely that they'll look into merging the British and Northern Irish teams? I don't exactly trust him myself either but it is promising.

Land of Hope and Glory would be better. It still has cries of imperialism in it, but the piece itself is better than God Save the Queen which is full of the outdated concepts of religion and monarchism.

The Doctor

Quote from: Mr_Moon on July 29, 2012, 09:46:26 PM

Land of Hope and Glory would be better. It still has cries of imperialism in it, but the piece itself is better than God Save the Queen which is full of the outdated concepts of religion and monarchism.

No reason the words have to be included.  Just use Elgar's orginal composition.  Plenty of nations have an instrumental anthem and the music in that piece is evocative enough IMO.

Mr_Moon

Quote from: The Doctor on July 29, 2012, 09:52:24 PM
Quote from: Mr_Moon on July 29, 2012, 09:46:26 PM

No reason the words have to be included.  Just use Elgar's orginal composition.  Plenty of nations have an instrumental anthem and the music in that piece is evocative enough IMO.

Good point. It's a good tune to hum to though, can we hum?