watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mr Giggs thinks its not acceptable

Started by bill taylors apprentice, July 29, 2012, 07:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meerkat

If the English were allowed their own National Anthem as  Scotland and Wales singing the National Anthem wouldn't cause such a problem.  I despair of this Country at times all other Nations are proud of their National Flag and Anthems, and fly their flags with pride. Rant over!

Two Ton Ted

Our national anthem is about how great our monarch is. Hardly stirring stuff compared to most others.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Lighthouse

How about an anthem that is a combination of the Countys. So when say England and Northern Ireland are involved in one team we could have one anthem. Or if the Scots and Welsh are in a team we could have another.  080.gif

Or an anthem without words would work. The theme to Black Beauty or the Persuaders.  fp.gif

Forget about religion causing wars. Invented borders cause wars. SORT IT OUT WORLD.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

General

That's not his fault it's the fault of the british institution which takes in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland to not make them feel like they're part of Britain and that the queen is their monarch too - representing them etc.

The arguement of her being English and not welsh too is entirely void as she's German/English...

I feel, as a scot by blood, with a bit of Irish and English in me and having been brought up in England to be completely in support of our monarchy - I feel she represents me and I'm proud to have her be my voice on the international stage - moreso than any politician.

Living in London brings it into a more poignant focus but I don't think i'd change it. I can see why Scots and Welsh don't want it, but a large number of those countries do... it's personal preference but I can imagine in time a giggs of the future may not share gigg's sentiments.

King_Crud

Quote from: JBH on July 30, 2012, 09:39:58 AM
Being English I would actually prefer the Hokey Kokey as the anthem   098.gif

"Manamana" by the muppets for me

AlFayedsChequebook

west kowloon white

Rooney's good at it too-says alot .Some are nationalistic only when it comes to state handouts others pay for.

Burt

Our anthem is great.

Short, but stirring.

cmg

And all the above just goes to show how far politics and all its trappings should be kept away from sport...

Most countries manage to screw up their national anthems anyway. Italy and Spain are quite jolly, but most of the rest are either dirge-like or over- aggressive, or both. I kind of like the US anthem (it certainly gets plenty of air time - I suspect that Pete Rose must be vying with our own HM for the record of "Most Times Listened To Own National Anthem") but it's impossible to sing it, unless you undergo a castration just before the bombs start bursting in air.
My favourite Nat Anthem story is that of East Germany (DDR), an excellent tune as I remember it. Somebody realised that some of its words could be construed as advocating a united Germany, so the citizens of this freedom-loving country were banned, under pain of arrest by the Stasi, from singing the words of their own National Anthem!
When the Aussies decided to ditch GSTQ as their National Anthem, it disappointed me that they lacked the bottle to choose the obvious national song, and instead went for the bland New Candralia job they use today. The mistake was shown most obviously when, at the last knockings of the closing ceremony of the Sydney Olympics, a 75 year old geezer (Slim Dusty) shuffled on with a guitar and led the assembled masses in an unforgettable version of 'Waltzing Matilda' It even brought tears to my eyes - and I've never been nearer to Australia than Earl's Court.

NogoodBoyo

The history of national anthems by cmg - a highly entertaining essay!  Well done that man.
Nogood "mae hen gwlad fy'n hadau, isit" Boyo

Holders

Quote from: Meerkat on July 30, 2012, 10:31:34 AM
If the English were allowed their own National Anthem as  Scotland and Wales singing the National Anthem wouldn't cause such a problem.  I despair of this Country at times all other Nations are proud of their National Flag and Anthems, and fly their flags with pride. Rant over!

Quite right. It saddens me when people from other parts of the UK refer to GSTQ as "the English" national anthem, it isn't! It's the anthem of the UK as a whole for the time being, like it or not. As an Englishman I'm as ashamed of it as Mr Giggs.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

EtuhuForNigeria

Quote from: Mr_Moon on July 29, 2012, 08:05:02 PM
Quote from: Admin on July 29, 2012, 08:00:39 PM
Quote from: Mr_Moon on July 29, 2012, 07:56:48 PM
WHO CARES

Some people do, even if you don't, can you please have something a little more creative to say or simply don't post.

I'm not going to waste my words beyond what I have to on a subject that is so tedious now. Why do people care about whether people sing the national anthem or not, it's just finding any old excuse to have a go at players.

If you really didn't care, you wouldn't comment on it, rather than commenting on why you are not commenting (by commenting).

HatterDon

I quite like Greece's and, of course, France's -- but I prefer ALL national anthems (a) to be instrumental and (b) NOT played at sporting events.

As to the individual nations, I was surprised to hear that athletes from Northern Ireland were competing under the rubric "Team GB." It would seem that it's GB and not UK specifically to exclude them.

On the other foot, we're one of about 60 or so countries in The Americas, but the only one that routinely calls itself America and its citizens Americans, so I guess we've got no right to question what I just questioned.  :Get Coat gif:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

jarv

I have not read every comment, but the game in Cardiff should open with Land of my fathers as a mark of respect to the Welsh players in the team and the local supporters. Might increase the attendance too.

Mitch

Quote from: jarv on July 30, 2012, 06:41:20 PM
I have not read every comment, but the game in Cardiff should open with Land of my fathers as a mark of respect to the Welsh players in the team and the local supporters. Might increase the attendance too.

Would seem to be pandering to them a little bit? It's no more theirs than it is Englands or Scotlands. The GB anthem is 'God Save the Queen' so let's play that and be done with it.

The Doctor

Quote from: HatterDon on July 30, 2012, 06:29:13 PM
As to the individual nations, I was surprised to hear that athletes from Northern Ireland were competing under the rubric "Team GB." It would seem that it's GB and not UK specifically to exclude them.

See, I see that from completely the opposing perspective.  Officially, the country is called "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" so to my mind the adoption of "Team GB" seems more exclusive of NI than "Team UK" just because of the wording in the country name.

That said, I've no idea why "Team GB" is the preferred name...I guess because it's more natural to say that we're British than UKish or UKers (which leaves itself open to casual obscene mocking!)

Terry Angus

Quote from: The Doctor on July 30, 2012, 08:16:19 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on July 30, 2012, 06:29:13 PM

See, I see that from completely the opposing perspective.  Officially, the country is called "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" so to my mind the adoption of "Team GB" seems more exclusive of NI than "Team UK" just because of the wording in the country name.

That said, I've no idea why "Team GB" is the preferred name...I guess because it's more natural to say that we're British than UKish or UKers (which leaves itself open to casual obscene mocking!)

i think the team name is full is 'great britain and northern ireland', abbreviated to 'team gb'. that explains how NI can be included, but i agree it's weird that they don't just call it 'united kingdom' and 'team uk'

epsomraver

some prat at an ad agency thought it was "cool" to use team GB

LordNelson

This would be a perfect time to whip out "Rule Britannia", ya know, as in Prydain Fawr or Breatainn Mhòr!
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Holders

Quote from: LordNelson on July 30, 2012, 09:33:47 PM
This would be a perfect time to whip out "Rule Britannia", ya know, as in Prydain Fawr or Breatainn Mhòr!

That would be fine for the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish but, strictly speaking, the English aren't actually ethnically "Britons" except for inhabiting the island of that name. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria