https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey. Please Don't Lock Me.

Started by TonyGilroy, August 23, 2012, 08:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senior Supporter

Quote from: Rupert on August 23, 2012, 09:49:37 AM
Quote from: FC Silver Fox on August 23, 2012, 09:29:36 AM
P.S Beamer, you're a troublemaker.  Incidently, did you know there were more people guillotined during WW2 than during the French revolution ?

Actually, while stretching the point a little, the guillotine comes in quite usefully here.

Ask many people about the guillotine ans they associate it with the French Revolution (1792) and the Terror which followed, and can picture loads of French aristocrats getting their heads chopped off, because that is what the guillotine was all about.

In fact, the device was invented originally as a humane way of executing those found guilty of capital crimes. It was vey efficient and practically guaranteed instantaneous death, unlike the more traditional method of paying a swordsman or axeman to do the job, as they occasionally botched it up. For example, the Duke of Monmouth, executed 1685 for attempting to overthrow his uncle, James II, laid his head on he block, only for the axeman to make a mess of it and required seven (I think) blows of the axe before his hapless executioner finished the job with a knife. Though, from what I have read, I think Monmouth put him off by turning his head to look at the man as the axe fell, so it was his own fault.
Anyway, the guilllotine put an end to that sort of nonsense, and remained in use until after the Second World War.

So, you see, what you may read, even years after the event, is not necessarily the full story. Something to remember when the Dempsey saga runs its course.

AttM- I recall the person you tagged as a fanboy took exception to the term, regardless of whether you meant it to be demeaning or not, hence it was unhelpful.

I have to disagree with you about the efficiency of the guillotine. I've seen many magicians attempting to chop someones head of with one and, to my great disappointment, they have always failed. Chopping a carrot in half, no problem, but for removing a head, absolutely useless.   :Get Coat gif:

LRCN

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 23, 2012, 10:45:07 AM
P.S Beamer, you're a troublemaker.  Incidently, did you know there were more people guillotined during WW2 than during the French revolution ?

Actually, while stretching the point a little, the guillotine comes in quite usefully here.

Ask many people about the guillotine ans they associate it with the French Revolution (1792) and the Terror which followed, and can picture loads of French aristocrats getting their heads chopped off, because that is what the guillotine was all about.

In fact, the device was invented originally as a humane way of executing those found guilty of capital crimes. It was vey efficient and practically guaranteed instantaneous death, unlike the more traditional method of paying a swordsman or axeman to do the job, as they occasionally botched it up. For example, the Duke of Monmouth, executed 1685 for attempting to overthrow his uncle, James II, laid his head on he block, only for the axeman to make a mess of it and required seven (I think) blows of the axe before his hapless executioner finished the job with a knife. Though, from what I have read, I think Monmouth put him off by turning his head to look at the man as the axe fell, so it was his own fault.
Anyway, the guilllotine put an end to that sort of nonsense, and remained in use until after the Second World War.

So, you see, what you may read, even years after the event, is not necessarily the full story. Something to remember when the Dempsey saga runs its course.

AttM- I recall the person you tagged as a fanboy took exception to the term, regardless of whether you meant it to be demeaning or not, hence it was unhelpful.

Please can I have a grovelling apology because it wasn't me who used the term to mccscratch.

I take exception to posters who make false, damning allegations based on prejudice and cannot be bothered to check their facts.

you are well within your right to be miffed at being accused of calling someone a name that you didn't and to expect a slight apology, but please don't go overboard - it was not a 'false, damning allegations based on prejudice', neither should they grovel.

stay reasonable y'all

King_Crud

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on August 23, 2012, 09:30:32 AM
I've not joined in any of the circular conversations for the following reasons:

I am neither intimately acquainted with the player, or the club. Therefore anything I claim to know about the situation is based on 'information' revealed in the media, or repeated on here by people who heard a live interview.

As such I hold the opinion that one party is on the side of the angels, and one on the side of the devil. Which is which changes with each new press release/rumour/tweet/FoF discussion. Or possibly neither party is on anybody's side.

The one absolute, incontravertable (sp?) fact is that I will be able to say with confidence that Dempsey either is or isn't staying at Fulham on September 1st.

If he is staying, I can't wait for this thread to be repeated in January...  fp.gif

Your neutrality sickens me. What makes a good man go neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

Apprentice to the Maestro

:021: :027:
Quote from: ~lork on August 23, 2012, 11:01:26 AM
P.S Beamer, you're a troublemaker.  Incidently, did you know there were more people guillotined during WW2 than during the French revolution ?

Please can I have a grovelling apology because it wasn't me who used the term to mccscratch.

I take exception to posters who make false, damning allegations based on prejudice and cannot be bothered to check their facts.

you are well within your right to be miffed at being accused of calling someone a name that you didn't and to expect a slight apology, but please don't go overboard - it was not a 'false, damning allegations based on prejudice', neither should they grovel.

stay reasonable y'all

It was definitely a false accusation.

It was pretty damning in that it portrayed me as directly abusing someone.

And I think the general context has been that that is the sort of terminology used by those rough boys from Cottage Corner.

Also, I thought my exaggerated response would be taken as mildly humorous. Maybe I should have ended my post with  :011:  :021:  :027:.

LRCN

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 23, 2012, 11:20:12 AM
:021: :027:
Quote from: ~lork on August 23, 2012, 11:01:26 AM

stay reasonable y'all

It was definitely a false accusation.

It was pretty damning in that it portrayed me as directly abusing someone.

And I think the general context has been that that is the sort of terminology used by those rough boys from Cottage Corner.

Also, I thought my exaggerated response would be taken as mildly humorous. Maybe I should ended my post with  :011:  :021:  :027:.

eh... i wouldn't say calling someone a fan boy or being accused of doing so is as far as abuse. a slight rankle perhaps. but yes the problem with the internet is sarcasm is very hard to read - which is great fun for someone with my dry sense of humour, people don't know what's what - and with all these mod sagas i've gotta read stuff as harsh! but my bad anyway

Lighthouse

Sarcasm hard to read? Tell me about it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ClarksOriginal

Think y'all need to chill out. The board just seems to have such an air of tension about it at the moment.

We must all accept the viewpoints and opinions of others, this is life. We must also accept that the moderators have final say.

The reason FOF is so popular is because we, as a collective, are a well studied bunch who can argue a point very well, which in turn keeps the board ticking over. We should keep it up before our needless bickering lowers us to the level of other boards.

Surely as adults, other opinions/words on the internet shouldn't rile us that much!?

:scarf:
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

MJG

Rupert

AttM, have no fear, I read it in the right spirit, and I am sorry for mixing you up with another of those nasty hooligan types, mea culpa, is it time for my cocoa yet?

The important thing to realise is, if you don't take your alias on this site too seriously then you will not get upset when somebody disagrees with you. I post what I believe, try to see how others might view it in a different way and hopefully don't assume that everyone must agree with me, or be hunted down and destroyed.
After all, it isn't their fault that they are wrong, is it?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Rupert on August 23, 2012, 11:39:40 AM
and hopefully don't assume that everyone must agree with me, or be hunted down and destroyed.

Just me then? The differently humoured?

Lighthouse

Quote from: Senior Supporter on August 23, 2012, 10:57:55 AM
P.S Beamer, you're a troublemaker.  Incidently, did you know there were more people guillotined during WW2 than during the French revolution ?

I have to disagree with you about the efficiency of the guillotine. I've seen many magicians attempting to chop someones head of with one and, to my great disappointment, they have always failed. Chopping a carrot in half, no problem, but for removing a head, absolutely useless.   :Get Coat gif:

It was proved that only left handed goalkeepers and left handed Guitar pickers with carrots could survive Madame Guillotine. They are evil.

MJG It is  needless attack to say I fall down alot
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Rupert

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 23, 2012, 11:42:09 AM
Quote from: Rupert on August 23, 2012, 11:39:40 AM
and hopefully don't assume that everyone must agree with me, or be hunted down and destroyed.

Just me then? The differently humoured?

Yep!
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Quote from: MJG on August 23, 2012, 11:33:23 AM
By the way he falls down a lot.

When I see that juventus goal always wonder "If he hadn't overhit that cross, would Zamora of headed it in anyway?"

Gues we will never know...

Apprentice to the Maestro

He used to, like a toddler. But last season Fulham taught him to stay upright. And now he thinks he can walk on water.

LordNelson

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 23, 2012, 12:06:45 PM

He used to, like a toddler. But last season Fulham taught him to stay upright. And now he thinks he can walk on water.

Please see previous posts re sarcasm.  Might also want to be on the lookout for the proverbial flying ton of bricks.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Ordar

Lets all just agree to use the universal sarcasm punctuation (!) in future to save confusion. I'll give you an example:

Steven Fletcher was a great value signing at £15million(!)

cmg

Don't You Lock Me, Daddy-o by Ronnie Donegan. Very popular in New Malden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX9fxBK-BWU#

RidgeRider

Quote from: HammyH3 on August 23, 2012, 09:12:35 AM
Quote from: HammyH3 on August 23, 2012, 09:03:45 AM
Quote from: White Noise on August 23, 2012, 08:44:48 AM
Quote from: HammyH3 on August 23, 2012, 08:39:23 AM
I agree, and would be interested to know which one of the mods locked the threads and why

It looks like the Mod who has locked each thread has posted that they have done so and explained why?

This was the mods reason "I'm going to lock this thread now as I think it has run it's course and the arguements just keep going round and round in circles" This is an unwarranted unilateral decision unless it has become against the rules to go 'round and round in circles'.  Lighten up for God's sake!

The other thread was locked with this post "Ok folks this one is going the same way as the last one we locked. Let's some of you agree to disagree with some others and move on"
So, obviously even the threat that we may "go round in circles " in the future has become a rule breaker. As I said, lighten up!!

As long as posters continue to be disrespectful to each other, threads will get locked. This is one of the ways we keep things civil. You don't have to agree, but it will continue. Please actually read the threads and you will see why. You don't have to agree with our decisions. If you want to call us out, thats fine, but the level of pettiness on this site is now disturbing and we will continue to take actions to keep the peace. I suggest you chill out.

LordNelson

Quote from: Ordar on August 23, 2012, 12:19:33 PM
Lets all just agree to use the universal sarcasm punctuation (!) in future to save confusion. I'll give you an example:

Steven Fletcher was a great value signing at £15million(!)

:plus one:      064.gif
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

TonyGilroy

I suggest you chill out.

Good advice all round.