Dempsey. Please Don't Lock Me.

Started by TonyGilroy, August 23, 2012, 08:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 23, 2012, 12:33:49 PM
I suggest you chill out.

Good advice all round.

Oh yeah! You and whose army?  :Get Coat gif:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LordNelson

I sincerely hope this is all due to jilted lover syndrome and not to an influx/migration of obstreperous.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: LordNelson on August 23, 2012, 12:30:23 PM
Quote from: Ordar on August 23, 2012, 12:19:33 PM
Lets all just agree to use the universal sarcasm punctuation (!) in future to save confusion. I'll give you an example:

Steven Fletcher was a great value signing at £15million(!)

:plus one:      064.gif

I thought that, like thatched cottages and warm beer, we were famous for not taking things too seriously.

Why not assume that posts are made in that vein and suggest that those that are meant to be taken 100% seriously should be surrounded by a black border?

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Quote from: LordNelson on August 23, 2012, 12:41:12 PM
I sincerely hope this is all due to jilted lover syndrome and not to an influx/migration of obstreperous.

or indeed, the transgressions of the offender...

King_Crud

we should insert this warning before any sarcastic text:

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS SARCASM!!!!

sipwell

Who is Dempsey again?

(am I doing it right?)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Bokonon

Quote from: MJG on August 23, 2012, 11:33:23 AM
By the way he falls down a lot.

Oh no you didn't!

--

As I've seen at other forums, I think the mods should just create or designate a thread as the "Endless Dempsey Speculation" thread, and lock all other threads about Dempsey until everything is settled.

Mods still get to get their lock on, some posters have a place to indulge their inner-Charybdis, and the rest can easily avoid the topic, like Romney and his taxes.

HammyH3

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 23, 2012, 12:29:51 PM
Quote from: HammyH3 on August 23, 2012, 09:12:35 AM
Quote from: HammyH3 on August 23, 2012, 09:03:45 AM
Quote from: White Noise on August 23, 2012, 08:44:48 AM
Quote from: HammyH3 on August 23, 2012, 08:39:23 AM
I agree, and would be interested to know which one of the mods locked the threads and why

It looks like the Mod who has locked each thread has posted that they have done so and explained why?

This was the mods reason "I'm going to lock this thread now as I think it has run it's course and the arguements just keep going round and round in circles" This is an unwarranted unilateral decision unless it has become against the rules to go 'round and round in circles'.  Lighten up for God's sake!

The other thread was locked with this post "Ok folks this one is going the same way as the last one we locked. Let's some of you agree to disagree with some others and move on"
So, obviously even the threat that we may "go round in circles " in the future has become a rule breaker. As I said, lighten up!!

As long as posters continue to be disrespectful to each other, threads will get locked. This is one of the ways we keep things civil. You don't have to agree, but it will continue. Please actually read the threads and you will see why. You don't have to agree with our decisions. If you want to call us out, thats fine, but the level of pettiness on this site is now disturbing and we will continue to take actions to keep the peace. I suggest you chill out.

I actually read the threads and I still do not see why they were locked. Yes, there was some pettiness, some sarcasm, some slightly snide comments but it was an interesting and often amusing thread and wasn't boring unlike many posts that get little or no response at all. You jumped way too soon. It is an indictment of the mods rashness that this thread has to start with "Please don't lock me"

Ordar

Clint Dempsey will once again be missing from Fulham's squad when they travel to Old Trafford for Saturday's Premier League match with Manchester United.

Fulham manager Martin Jol feels the United States international, 29, is not in the right frame of mind after transfer speculation linking him with a move to Liverpool: "It's the same situation. There has been no formal bid on the table and nothing has changed."

Berserker

Quote from: sipwell on August 23, 2012, 01:11:24 PM

Who is Dempsey again?

(am I doing it right?)

Bet I could out do you on the sarcasm front Mr Sipwell, but I'm so so excited at the prospect of Liverpool beating Hearts that I'm now off to find a television/pub to watch the match in  ; )
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

White Noise

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8012339

Jol wants to keep Dempsey

Cottagers manager insists he has no problem with Reds target

Last Updated: August 23, 2012 7:03pm

Fulham boss Martin Jol has offered an olive branch to Liverpool target Clint Dempsey by insisting he would love to keep the forward at Craven Cottage.

The Cottagers' feud with Liverpool over their pursuit of Dempsey intensified on Thursday evening when the Premier League revealed an official complaint has been lodged.

Fulham are dealing with the repercussions of the decision by Reds manager Brendan Rodgers to publicly voice his interest in the USA international last month.

Dempsey has been agitating for a transfer to Anfield since, but an official offer for the £7.5million-valued forward has yet to be received, leaving player and coach in limbo.

Fearing that the club's prized asset has been distracted and is unfit to play, manager Jol dropped him for last weekend's 5-0 drubbing of Norwich and will omit him from Saturday's squad to face Manchester United.

The Dutchman is frustrated he has been left with an unsettled player, but admits he would be happy for Fulham's top scorer from last season to stay and insists he has no problem with the American.

"Mentally Clint wants to move, he doesn't want to stay here. His head was turned and that was the problem," said Jol.

"It's a problem and a situation you don't want. It's not something you can talk to a player about every day because he doesn't want to.

"I don't know if he'll remain a Fulham player. I'd love to keep him, but I'm not sure.

No problem

"I don't know if he'll remain a Fulham player. I'd love to keep him, but I'm not sure."

"Hopefully if he stays, then in the next couple of weeks he will change his thoughts about us.

"With me there's no problem and I don't think there's a problem within the team over him."

Jol has advised Dempsey to look to Robin van Persie's £24million move from Arsenal to Manchester United for instruction on how a transfer should be completed.

"There are always players in football like Van Persie who want to move, but they keep quiet," he said.

"This was different. Although we like to keep everything under the surface, it was impossible. Van Persie did the right thing.

"I always hope for players to keep a low profile and wait for what will happen. It's better for the manager and club."

NogoodBoyo

I don't think I object to these threads being locked.  In a way, it forces a pause to come up with new slants on the story by starting new threads.
And, as  said above, the story has legs that will keep running until there's an end to it, fat lady or no fat lady.
It's actually rather Shakespearean.
Nogood "His legs bestrid the ocean, isit" Boyo

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Sky could have got a better photo of Demps .................... he looks like a hobo

HatterDon

these summer re-runs are getting tedious.

Of course, they're vastly more entertaining than our current election cycle.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Yellow Jacket

I think that people are getting oversensitive to Dempsey without all of the facts and they will just call him the Spawn of Satan. It's natural but nevertheless annoying. I am opting for the "wait and see" approach. This literally is an iceberg and I'm only seeing the surface.

Terry Angus

Quote from: Yellow Jacket on August 24, 2012, 12:42:20 AM
I think that people are getting oversensitive to Dempsey without all of the facts and they will just call him the Spawn of Satan. It's natural but nevertheless annoying. I am opting for the "wait and see" approach. This literally is an iceberg and I'm only seeing the surface.

in my defence i've never liked dempsey as much as others, except perhaps when he accidentally scored with that cross against juventus. that said, i'm genuinely intrigued as to how this will pan out and agree, we should wait.

btw, sorry, but if that wasn't your first post i'd also criticise the criminal abuse of the word 'literally'!

YankeeJim

Quote from: Bokonon on August 23, 2012, 01:11:41 PM
Quote from: MJG on August 23, 2012, 11:33:23 AM
By the way he falls down a lot.

Oh no you didn't!

--

As I've seen at other forums, I think the mods should just create or designate a thread as the "Endless Dempsey Speculation" thread, and lock all other threads about Dempsey until everything is settled.

Mods still get to get their lock on, some posters have a place to indulge their inner-Charybdis, and the rest can easily avoid the topic, like Romney and his taxes.

Or Obama and his real estate deals.
Sorry Mods, I know no religion or politics but a cheap shot deserves a cheap shot.  :Get Coat gif:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

OldBrownShoe

Moving on, perhaps, if this sorry matter progresses to a club actually being interested in bidding for and signing yonder Texan (Dempsey not HatterDon) to Fulham's and the player's satisfaction, I wonder if the sometimes player will demand a loyalty payment?
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

BarryP

Quote from: Terry Angus on August 24, 2012, 12:48:23 AM

in my defence i've never liked dempsey as much as others, except perhaps when he accidentally scored with that cross against juventus. that said, i'm genuinely intrigued as to how this will pan out and agree, we should wait.

btw, sorry, but if that wasn't your first post i'd also criticise the criminal abuse of the word 'literally'!

Welcome to the board Yellow Jacket and I agree with your sentiment even if your iceberg is figurative and Terry literally did offer you criticism.

Edited:  063.gif I will card myself since this was intended to poke fun but a mod had to ask about it later.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Yellow Jacket

Quote from: BarryP on August 24, 2012, 03:04:33 AM
Quote from: Terry Angus on August 24, 2012, 12:48:23 AM

Welcome to the board Yellow Jacket and I agree with your sentiment even if your iceberg is figurative and Terry literally did offer you criticism.
To be honest, I'm a long time lurker (and Fulham fan of course) and I wanted to stay that way but this situation and the maddening drivel posted by a few users has really just dumbfounded me and I wanted to just say my small piece.