more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Lance Armstrong

Started by Herbie, August 24, 2012, 09:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburywhite

Oh no! A top sportsman using drugs

You will be telling me Usain Bolt isn't clean next. You will be telling me that the Jamaican sprint teams (both men and women) are able to be the best in their sport because the come from a nice island.

We put all these sportsmen on a pedestal but it is a shame that so many will do whatever they have to do by cheating, this in turn ruins our love for the sport.

I used to love watching athletics but got sick of the cheats so stopped watching the sport.

A mate of mine was a very good sprinter 30 years ago (ran at Crystal palace etc) he told me to look how Carl Lewis's jaw bone changed shape over the years. He said that was the effect on a certain drug.
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

sunburywhite

I don't think Steve Marlet ever took performance enchancing products
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

GloucesterWhite

The bit I find odd is the American drug authorites seem to be the ones stripping him of his titles rather than the Tour de France guys.

Herbie

Just to be clear, the reason I think it's a shame is not for him (I have no time for cheaters), but for the people that looked at him as being an idol; a man perceived to have come back from adversity to achieve greatness.  The shame comes in that that greatness looks to have been achieved by cheating.  What message does that now send out to youngsters?  I don't think I will ever understand the win at all costs mentality; the victory would feel so hollow.

As others have said, it was in the past and things have moved on since then in cycling, but it is a huge fall from grace and there must be a few people out there that have lost a hero because of this.

Gozorich

Quote from: sunburywhite on August 25, 2012, 07:53:48 AM
I don't think Steve Marlet ever took performance enchancing products

If he did he should ask for his money back.

sunburywhite

Spot on Herbie

He was the cheater and his fans were cheated

EJL

Quote from: Herbie on August 25, 2012, 08:54:23 AM
Just to be clear, the reason I think it's a shame is not for him (I have no time for cheaters), but for the people that looked at him as being an idol; a man perceived to have come back from adversity to achieve greatness.  The shame comes in that that greatness looks to have been achieved by cheating.  What message does that now send out to youngsters?  I don't think I will ever understand the win at all costs mentality; the victory would feel so hollow.

As others have said, it was in the past and things have moved on since then in cycling, but it is a huge fall from grace and there must be a few people out there that have lost a hero because of this.

Totally agree. Every other comment on here is spot on as well, but this just sums up the way I feel about it. Even people who weren't into cycling idolised this guy. I guess looking back, it was too good to be true. "Cyclist comes back from life threatening illness, wins Tour de France 7 times in a row and raises millions for charity."

sipwell

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 25, 2012, 03:24:21 AM

There have already been 3 other teammates that have come forward only to have him try to discredit them.

In all fairness, they came forward only because they would be exonerated themselves.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Azeedo

No respect for that man, he cheated nothing but a POS on my book

Jimbobob

I am really split in two on this. He never failed a test during the time he rode. The French wanted him buried. Now USADA has been on this hunt for years and has been hell bent to convict him. Did he dope? Maybe maybe not. I am not a Ridge Rider level cyclist but the suffering and pain required to ride at Armstrong's level in these race's is beyond a normal humans comprehension. And this beyond anything else is why the riders would dope. I am sorry but I am not going to forget his epic rides and epic climbs and when I see them I am not going to think - wow what a cheater.
The libertarian in me just does not care one bit for the guilty until proven innocent tactics of USADA.
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

jarv

Comment on American radio this morning, seems like hehas no chance of winning the battle (probably because he is guilty) but positioning himself  to take any advantage he can with regards to the fight.  Sounds like he has a team of lawyers, ready to sue, should the cycling authorities make any (verbal or written) mistakes and open any doors of opportunity.

Oh boy, don't you just love the cheats in any sport! 096.gig