more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Length of supporting the club

Started by hopper, August 29, 2012, 06:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: hopper on August 29, 2012, 06:13:54 PM
How long have most of the people on this board actually supported the club? The amount of hyperbole to the Dembele situation tells me not very long indeed, maybe since the Europa final or something.

People talking about the shame of the club, ripping off of the club, lack of ambition.

Not so long ago we were nearly knocked out of the footballing league, and anybody who has supported fulham as they have gone up the divisions would be pretty god damn delighted with our current situation.

Selling a player to help finance the development of a stand which will bring in stable revenue and expand the size of the club, seems like a pretty outstanding long term trade off to me.

There is such short termism and ignorance on here, and it can only be the result of people supporting to club expecting it to be bigger than it is - lacking perspective. Those culpable really need to reassess their posts and attitudes, or go and support a club that will compete for champions league places.

Football is something of a foodchain, and we are punching remarkably above our weight to be where we want to be.

I for one am glad at how well the club is run, and that we are sustaining ourselves for the long term future - as opposed to spending money we don't have, and can't recuperate for one day's newspaper headlines, or one day's banter.

WAKE UP

It's just a bunch of people venting frustrations about a topic that's dear to them and amongst others who care about and understand the same thing. Some of us, myself included, only have you fine people to share our opinions with. Some of us live in places where we're lucky to find another PL fan to watch games with, myself (I've found exactly 1 so far) included. If they don't have the perspective you want them to have, so what. It's their club as much as it is yours, no matter how long or how they've supported it.

I hope you'll keep some of that in mind when you tell them what opinions they should and shouldn't express or how strongly they should feel about them.

Personally I hope, if I voice an unpopular opinion here from time to time, that no one comes along to suggest that I should go and support another club.

I came over on the good ship McBride by the way. My perspective grew from that moment on. It's not at all a failing on my part that I don't have experiences prior to that.

So, now you've been on your soapbox. I've been on mine.  :59:

COYW!  :scarf:

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

hopper

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on August 29, 2012, 07:19:35 PM
How long have most of the people on this board actually supported the club? The amount of hyperbole to the Dembele situation tells me not very long indeed, maybe since the Europa final or something.

People talking about the shame of the club, ripping off of the club, lack of ambition.

Not so long ago we were nearly knocked out of the footballing league, and anybody who has supported fulham as they have gone up the divisions would be pretty god damn delighted with our current situation.

Selling a player to help finance the development of a stand which will bring in stable revenue and expand the size of the club, seems like a pretty outstanding long term trade off to me.

There is such short termism and ignorance on here, and it can only be the result of people supporting to club expecting it to be bigger than it is - lacking perspective. Those culpable really need to reassess their posts and attitudes, or go and support a club that will compete for champions league places.

Football is something of a foodchain, and we are punching remarkably above our weight to be where we want to be.

I for one am glad at how well the club is run, and that we are sustaining ourselves for the long term future - as opposed to spending money we don't have, and can't recuperate for one day's newspaper headlines, or one day's banter.

WAKE UP

It's just a bunch of people venting frustrations about a topic that's dear to them and amongst others who care about and understand the same thing. Some of us, myself included, only have you fine people to share our opinions with. Some of us live in places where we're lucky to find another PL fan to watch games with, myself (I've found exactly 1 so far) included. If they don't have the perspective you want them to have, so what. It's their club as much as it is yours, no matter how long or how they've supported it.

I hope you'll keep some of that in mind when you tell them what opinions they should and shouldn't express or how strongly they should feel about them.

Personally I hope, if I voice an unpopular opinion here from time to time, that no one comes along to suggest that I should go and support another club.

I came over on the good ship McBride by the way. My perspective grew from that moment on. It's not at all a failing on my part that I don't have experiences prior to that.

So, now you've been on your soapbox. I've been on mine.  :59:

COYW!  :scarf:

Toodles, I went on to post that there is no superiority in supporting a club for longer.

I maintain though, that awareness of this perspective is important. The people that run the club deserve credit for great achievement, I'm not being fascist - I'm just speaking out against brattishness. I will not repudiate any of that if you took offence.

BestOfBrede

'67 with me pa who is still a season ticket holder along with me bruv. Unfortunately, I am not a st holder any longer due to living in P'Boro but do go as often as I can.

bobby01

Since i was 8 in 1960, watched us in danger of going out of the league and all the way to the europa final.  Since maf took over i have seen great things,beating juve at the cottage fpr gods sake. A lot of you critcising here have no idea of the dark days,enjoy an established premier league club, yes they can drive you mad at times but that is fulham.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Irelands_number1

Im 21, this is my 11th season following fulham... Noone in my family supported them. Just licked it off the stones as they'd say!
It's been an emotional roller coaster of 11 years.. This is why I love fulham though

fulhamben

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 29, 2012, 07:15:37 PM
wow, there are some Fulham geezers on this board!  :dft012:

I've been following them since a month before Sanchez got the sack and been loving every minute of it.  :scarf:
wow. you must be a real sucker for punishment . what on gods earth attracted you to us in that chapter of our history. they were some desperate times
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Jack Fulham

Since my dad first took me. Was too young too remember my first game which saddens me.

Mike

First game March 10th 1973 against Carlise won 1-0, Mitchell scored and a great save from Mellor just under 10,000 watching.
:scarf:
1879 a good year for football

RidgeRider

Quote from: fulhamben on August 29, 2012, 07:30:29 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on August 29, 2012, 07:15:37 PM
wow, there are some Fulham geezers on this board!  :dft012:

I've been following them since a month before Sanchez got the sack and been loving every minute of it.  :scarf:
wow. you must be a real sucker for punishment . what on gods earth attracted you to us in that chapter of our history. they were some desperate times

Strange I know. Basically it came down to the Cottage, it being the oldest club in London (so history was a factor), and I liked the fact that the team wasn't at the top. I must say I was VERY naive and had no idea Sanchez was so bad but it didn't take long to see the team was playing like crap even though I knew just a smidge about the game. I remember thinking that the draws were like wins back then and how out matched we seemed to be each week.....and then our savior came, and I knew I had picked the right club.

George G

10 years. I'm pretty sure it was Blackburn at home in 2002. From then on I was hooked.
Keep calm, think of Fulham FC

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: hopper on August 29, 2012, 07:23:36 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on August 29, 2012, 07:19:35 PM

WAKE UP

So, now you've been on your soapbox. I've been on mine.  :59:

COYW!  :scarf:

Toodles, I went on to post that there is no superiority in supporting a club for longer.

I maintain though, that awareness of this perspective is important. The people that run the club deserve credit for great achievement, I'm not being fascist - I'm just speaking out against brattishness. I will not repudiate any of that if you took offence.

Hopper, I read your subsequent post. I agree about having a broader perspective and feel everyone will either get that or not in their own way. Hopefully, they'll all remain Fulham supporters rather than follow the suggestion to move along.  

Luke

Born in 93, first game when I was about 5-6 against Wrexham, Brevett got sent off and we drew 1-1, so I guess that makes it nearly 15 years now. Class players have come and gone, but they'll never take Fulham from us.
Here's Davies..... It's on, It is on!!

HatterDon

ah, there's nothing so refreshing as a "them and us" thread -- sometimes called "a proper supporter and not" thread.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Adam87

Born in 87. First games i remember were with Mick conroy, nick cusack, duncan jupp, robbie herarra, paul moody etc back in the old division 3. Been a season ticket holder since 1997. Fulham through and through. 3rd generation and this is such a special club.

I have to pinch myself every day at how far we have come, no other club has done this and i cant believe it happened to us. If we could go back in time and people saw the old battered craven cottage with 4,000 crowds it would shock some people.

Cant wait for the new stand.....onwards and upwards.

Chrisg3

:035:My first game was in 1961, Fulham v Blackpool, the late great Stanley Mathews, don't go now as I am disabled, but still love the club, however bit worried about this season COYW

Burt

Born in Putney in 1966, and been following the club through good times and bad since 1974.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: HatterDon on August 29, 2012, 08:15:31 PM
ah, there's nothing so refreshing as a "them and us" thread -- sometimes called "a proper supporter and not" thread.

Feels so warm and cozy here when these come along.

hopper

Quote from: HatterDon on August 29, 2012, 08:15:31 PM

hatterdon, that was not the purpose of the thread.

say your parents had worked hard to improve the standard of life for their children so they went from poverty to living a life of comfort and prosperity, and your children started complaining at their parents for not giving them enough. you would want to try and tell them to avoid narrow mindedness. that's all. I don't care how long someone has supported the club, I just think we should be thankful for where the club is and how well it is being run

Motown

Fulham v spuds 1962. It's been a rollercoaster of angst and euphoria (more of the former than the latter) and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. :wine:

fulhamcookie

Born in 62, first game 2-0 defeat to Blackpool in I think 72