watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Length of supporting the club

Started by hopper, August 29, 2012, 06:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

1953/54 season.  My dad took me to Chelsea first but I couldn´t see over the wall, so he then took me to Fulham.Thank God for those railings behind the goal at the Cottage end (the old home end)
Where there's a will there's a wife

ToodlesMcToot

How long will this survey take to determine that all the bad seeds having a go at the club are indeed all short timers?

085.gif
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Motown

Quote from: HatterDon on August 29, 2012, 08:15:31 PM
ah, there's nothing so refreshing as a "them and us" thread -- sometimes called "a proper supporter and not" thread.

Where do you get the "them and us" schtick from? I would make Hopper right in most respects.
Quote from: hopper on August 29, 2012, 08:40:29 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on August 29, 2012, 08:15:31 PM
ah, there's nothing so refreshing as a "them and us" thread -- sometimes called "a proper supporter and not" thread.

hatterdon, that was not the purpose of the thread.

say your parents had worked hard to improve the standard of life for their children so they went from poverty to living a life of comfort and prosperity, and your children started complaining at their parents for not giving them enough. you would want to try and tell them to avoid narrow mindedness. that's all. I don't care how long someone has supported the club, I just think we should be thankful for where the club is and how well it is being run

It's OK Hopper, Don-boy doesn't see the biggah pitcher is all.....

epsomraver

nose

You can't help your age but youngsters can't know what really bad times are like!

Born 55 and started in '62. I have had a season ticket every season, same seat, save for loftus road obviously when we were put where we were put. Dad(RIP), wife, kids all support, they had no choice. 

Moose leaving isn't the end of the world, there has been worse, Bulstrode for instance, but it was prettty dispiriting. Football isn't as good as it was, there is no doubt there is a gulf between players and supporters now.

A win at west ham and all will be right with the word again!

NogoodBoyo

I start in 2013 I think,
Nogood "but I prefer to be known as a leader and a follower than a supporter of athletic endeavours, itis" boyo

NogoodBoyo

Oh dear, here we go again..
Nogood "top the page, top the page, top the page, top the page, top the page, top the pa-age...again,. isit" Boyo

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: hopper on August 29, 2012, 06:13:54 PM
How long have most of the people on this board actually supported the club? The amount of hyperbole to the Dembele situation tells me not very long indeed, maybe since the Europa final or something.

People talking about the shame of the club, ripping off of the club, lack of ambition.

Not so long ago we were nearly knocked out of the footballing league, and anybody who has supported fulham as they have gone up the divisions would be pretty god damn delighted with our current situation.

Selling a player to help finance the development of a stand which will bring in stable revenue and expand the size of the club, seems like a pretty outstanding long term trade off to me.

There is such short termism and ignorance on here, and it can only be the result of people supporting to club expecting it to be bigger than it is - lacking perspective. Those culpable really need to reassess their posts and attitudes, or go and support a club that will compete for champions league places.

Football is something of a foodchain, and we are punching remarkably above our weight to be where we want to be.

I for one am glad at how well the club is run, and that we are sustaining ourselves for the long term future - as opposed to spending money we don't have, and can't recuperate for one day's newspaper headlines, or one day's banter.

WAKE UP

BRAVO

Fernhurst

Right you lot – pin back ya lug holes and listen to this small chunk of Fulham supporting history.

My first game 1957

But this relates to my old Dad who was born in 1904 and attended his first game in 1909.  Only twelve years after FFC's first ever league game

The old man was a decent player himself in the nineteen twenties and played for his regiment The 10th Royal Hussars and The British Army.
Already a committed supporter he could not help recommending his team mate Johnny Price to the club.
Johnny joined Fulham in 1928 and was still assistant secretary at Fulham in the early sixties!!

Fulham FC is in my families DNA and therefore we take a very long term view.....

So spend spend spend MAF and never worry about the future we have a spare room.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

epsomraver

Quote from: nose on August 29, 2012, 10:04:36 PM
You can't help your age but youngsters can't know what really bad times are like!

Born 55 and started in '62. I have had a season ticket every season, same seat, save for loftus road obviously when we were put where we were put. Dad(RIP), wife, kids all support, they had no choice. 

Moose leaving isn't the end of the world, there has been worse, Bulstrode for instance, but it was prettty dispiriting. Football isn't as good as it was, there is no doubt there is a gulf between players and supporters now.

A win at west ham and all will be right with the word again!

Amen to that said the Rev Tom :005:

LRCN

i have seen older fans complain just as i have seen younger fans behave very rationally. when you have began supporting is largely irrelevant

Senior Supporter

So many youngsters on this thread. I'm really  092.gif (born in '35) and couldn't tell you which was my first match. My dad had no interest in football, so started going to Fulham in my early teens with friends. Looking at old team sheets I reckon it was 1949, as that is when all the players names are familiar to me. I went fairly regularly until I moved to the South coast in '62, married, had a family, and always worked Saturdays. I would always read the scant news I could find in the newspapers and, of course, look for the results as soon as possible on matchdays, but only saw a handful of matches live for many years. Then came MAF, Sky and message boards like this and my enthusiasm was well and truly rekindled. One birthday my two sons' surprised me with the present of a trip to Loftus Road and, of all matches, it was the classic 3-2 win over Spurs! I now get up to the Cottage for a few matches every season (it's a shame the club don't do the half season tickets any more, they were ideal) and will be coming up for the Everton game with both sons and grandson, all of whom I have recruited to the Fulham family. It's sad we won't see Mousa  :012: but perhaps Berbatov  :scarf:  

alexbishop

Been a fan since 1997 when a friend on my Dad's took me to a Fulham game when I was 8 years old. At the time I supported Man U as I was too young to know otherwise. From then on I was hooked on the club :)
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

hopper

Quote from: alexbishop on August 29, 2012, 11:01:31 PM
Been a fan since 1997 when a friend on my Dad's took me to a Fulham game when I was 8 years old. At the time I supported Man U as I was too young to know otherwise. From then on I was hooked on the club :)

like for like, 1997 v Cambridge when I was 7 - had supported Man U up til that point!

alexbishop

Quote from: hopper on August 29, 2012, 11:04:54 PM

like for like, 1997 v Cambridge when I was 7 - had supported Man U up til that point!
Impressed you remember the opposition, I can't for the life of me. I remember meeting Al Fayed and Kevin Keegan though.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

twang

Since I was nine years old and watched Boa, Bazza and Saha tear Division One apart.

dont stand me down

First game 1974 versus Swindon at home we won 4-1.

hopper

Quote from: alexbishop on August 29, 2012, 11:06:53 PM
Quote from: hopper on August 29, 2012, 11:04:54 PM

Impressed you remember the opposition, I can't for the life of me. I remember meeting Al Fayed and Kevin Keegan though.

I think I remember, could always be wrong though! I remember it was on the terraces at the hammy end - evening kick off. Finished 1-0. I really started getting going that season where we blitzed div 2 with Horsefield and Keegan. Hazy memories though now

MisfitKid

Cookie & I got here at the same time in 2003.
I am a level-headed Merican.  I root for the badge, not the name on the back.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Scrumpy

Born 66, first game 82.
It was a choice of Fulham or Blue Poo.

I chose the Cottage cos my mate was a white
and the other ground in Fulham was a load of sh1te

Laughter one week, tears the next
and Ernie Clay got me quite vexed

Players come and go, they always will
either too good for us or 'over the hill'

But we're always here, the Fulham fans
we are the Club, the future, the plans.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.