more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Food Discussion

Started by Steve_orino, April 11, 2010, 05:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDaddy

Quote from: tjl on August 28, 2010, 04:29:37 AM
Try fresh Sark spider crab or local lobster not to beaten, a friend when working on a local boat would supply me with lobster unfit for sale ie, a leg missing this making it unsalable so lobster rolls for lunch just a bit up from cheese and pickle.

Cant beat an old favorite
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

McBridefan1

Lobstah, should never be covered in mayo and squished in a bun. You have to rip it limb from limb and suck its delicious meat from its legs tail and claws then drink beer swished in its empty shell carcas it should never be poshed up and clean... feckin connecticut why did we give those posh pricks new england status???

Quote from: finnster01 on August 26, 2010, 11:39:06 PM
Last weekend my girlfriend and I was invited to a friend of mine's beach club in Connecticut. Wonderful and posh beyond belief (full memberships are 180 000 dollars for a share and they have a wait list...)

Anyway, we didn't use much of the impressive facilities other than a quick tour and then settled for the pick-nick tables in the shadow of some grand old trees. Well prior to going there our host stopped by the local fish monger/deli and picked up a bunch of freshly made Maine lobster rolls. They were at least an inch and a half thick of the moistest and freshest lobster meat you will ever eat. Just a small bit of mayo and in the freshest of buns. And then he got some delicious crab cakes too. His wife had made a delicious orza salad and lemon pie for dessert.

It was absolutely orgasmic. I think some of the new englanders here posted about Maine lobster earlier, but I can absolutely recommend the fare. 

tjl

Who said anything about mayo. a lobster lunch is two slicers of white bread sark butter lobster and fresh ground black pepper, then put your hand on the top slice push down so everything holds together ... loe one perfect lunch snack.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: TheDaddy on August 31, 2010, 02:05:45 AM
Try fresh Sark spider crab or local lobster not to beaten, a friend when working on a local boat would supply me with lobster unfit for sale ie, a leg missing this making it unsalable so lobster rolls for lunch just a bit up from cheese and pickle.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: TheDaddy on August 31, 2010, 02:05:45 AM

I trust that's Canadian Chedder The Daddy?   Love a cheese and pickle sarnie  :54:

fulhamwannabe

m'i the only one who eats halal meat in here? :54:

finnster01

Quote from: fulhamwannabe on September 24, 2010, 04:25:32 PM
m'i the only one who eats halal meat in here? :54:
I eat halal meat all the time. It is very good.

Here in New York there are loads of food carts which sell halal food at very reasonable prices all over Manhattan. It is the perfect lunch fix. Love the stuff, especially the hot sauce.  :045:

But that is not the only thing I eat unfortunately...  :021:

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

fulhamwannabe

Quote from: finnster01 on September 24, 2010, 04:43:47 PM
I eat halal meat all the time. It is very good.

Here in New York there are loads of food carts which sell halal food at very reasonable prices all over Manhattan. It is the perfect lunch fix. Love the stuff, especially the hot sauce.  :045:

But that is not the only thing I eat unfortunately...  :021:[/size]

my mate has a few halal butchers shops in new jersey,he's actually from my home town

FC Silver Fox

How did I miss this thread? Cooking and wine are two of my passions (apart from Fulham and 'er indoors). I'm sure I've put on 5 pounds just reading the last 10 pages.
Now, much as I love a good curry, I don't go along with you all categorizing this as typical English/London fare.  Nowhere in this thread is there a mention of the only dish that you can only find in London: Pie'n'mash (with lots of liquor and optional jellied eels). You must give it a try if you come to London. I'm sure the Fredster can recommend one of the few remaining pie'n'mash shops in London.
As for the USA, I've eaten some wonderful meals there but I drew the line at the Roadkill cafe (you kill it, we cook it) and Roadkill cookouts.

http://www.angelfire.com/de3/tripmaker/index4.html
http://www.2camels.com/roadkill-cook-off.php

I'll stop there because if I start going into some of my French recipes and dishes, I'll fill another 10 pages.
ok, I'll own up and make a confession. I have actually done my own roadkill cookout. I accidently ran over and killed a large pheasant in France a number of years ago. I stopped, threw it in the boot, took it home and then made a delicous pheasant pate with it.
I suppose you could say, pheasant or possum , its just a question of semantics.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

FatFreddysCat

There's a reasonable Pie and Mash shop on the Goldhawk rd , near the staition. I must admit, i'm not mad on mash, i only really have it in sheperds pie.

FatFreddysCat

Cant believe you missed this thread Silver Fox, i could smell it from the other forum. I've never had Pheasant, the thought of hanging it up till it goes rotten puts me right off, but a certain Yank had a pheasant curry in Newcastle, i'm going up there with him in November so will give it  go.

fulhamwannabe

ship's brain,ummmmmm the best  :045:

FC Silver Fox

Shepherd's pie is fine, just as long as its made with real shepherd. (just don't tell nogood Boyo I said that).
Fredster, the advantage of hanging pheasant for a few days is that you get it stuffed with risotto without having to add rice.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

pettyfog

heh... arguing 'food' is like discussing merits of religions and beer.
Totally subjective.
On beer and food, I have one thing to say:
DONT surprise me.

I've had a few good meals in  French restaurants, in both Paris and London.. but there's the twist:  In London I was only ever taken to dinner at French or Indian establishements.

Food is Cultural.  But a good old Midwestern {Scots-Irish, German} table is where I grew up.  Some things of the 'Suthren Culture thrown in Like Corn Meal mush and occasional grits for breakfast but usually I'll pass on that for Bacon and Eggs and wheat toast.. why? Cause it's 'comfort food'. Taste-wise.. plenty damn bland.  Viva the pepper grinder.

When I arrived in London, the first place I got takeout was the one I heard had it's own style of Burgers. So I stopped at a Wympee's and got a Burger and chips. the LAST time, too.  Otherwise I avoided losing weight due to skimp breakfast and lunch by heading to the Charing Cross McD every evening at 9.  Big Mac, Fries, shake.
Comfort food AND I ALSO knew what I would get.

In New England.. seafood is best.  Even in a single state there's huge difference.  Last night we got chinese takeout, I wanted General
Tscho's. I was warned it wasnt very spicy. So I asked for extra spicy and that came the same as I get in SW ohio {lot more 'Chinese' places there.}
Brings us to Szechwan v Pekinese. IF there are still Pekinese restaurants other than the West Coast, you COULD get me to eat Pekinese if it were free. So I could get a Wendy's Single on the way home.

French. I've had some good meals. Till it comes to delicacy cheeses.  Gotta be some kinda loony to like runny crap coming from your cheeses.

There's EXtra Sharp Cheddar and there's Velveeta. Of course Velveeta aint REALLY cheese it's something else.  But on some recipes there is nothing better.  And no real substitute.  Which is why I use the brand.

As I said, it's like beer. I like to know what to expect when I order.  Reason why Dos Equis, Sam Adams Lager, then Bud Light.  Otherwise 'diet coke' please.  I want NO pissing from those whose backups are Coors or Corona.

Last week there was an article in the Canton Suppository's food section on 'chili'. Heh.  NE Ohio might as well be New Jersey when it comes to 'chili'  What you get is some kinda featureless meat stew with some red powder in it.. maybe.  To point that out, the sole picture had a rib section floating on top of the bean stew.

Of course the article, since no easterner {and that's what NE Ahian's really are} really gives a crap about any kind of chili, was about some self-promoted chili king.  Like Carrol Shelby, but with more hutzpah.
Never had heard of him but then I only brew and eat the stuff.  
Real chili aint got beans. If you make it right it's twice as good  {and hot} when you pull it out of the frig and reheat it the next day.

I'm like a Texan that way.  In fact SW chili is the only really GOOD chili.  And there's lots of kinds.
Other than REAL Cincy chili which oughta be called something else but is closest name anyone can think of.  But it's really a Greek pasta dish. And tastes like it.  Cincy chili is good 'chili hot' but it needs 'bouquet'.  If you ate Skyline you may not know what I mean because Skyline aint got any bouquet. It's just spicy hot.

Gold Star from a Gold Star franchise hints at it but local restaurant 'Cincinnati Recipe' brand, if your Walmart or Kroger carries it, is best avail in any store.

Sign off saying "Long Live McIlhenny's Tabasco brand".  You wouldnt think it would be that hard to duplicate. Evidently it is.

YankeeJim

Fog,

I was working hurricane Andrew in Baton Rouge, LA (yep it got that far inland) & I remember that the island where  McIlhenny's Tabasco sauce grows the peppers and produces the end product was badly damaged. About three weeks into it, they got the plant back up & running. It was above the fold, headliner news in every newspaper and the lead story on the evening news. They do love their spice in Bayou Country.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

finnster01

Quote from: YankeeJim on September 30, 2010, 02:52:49 AM
Fog,

I was working hurricane Andrew in Baton Rouge, LA (yep it got that far inland) & I remember that the island where  McIlhenny's Tabasco sauce grows the peppers and produces the end product was badly damaged. About three weeks into it, they got the plant back up & running. It was above the fold, headliner news in every newspaper and the lead story on the evening news. They do love their spice in Bayou Country.
No kidding Mr Jim,
Can you imagine a Cajun without a bottle of hot sauce close at hand? I think people have committed suicide for a lot less than that.

In fact, I was in the bayous a year ago and did the swamp boat thing in the middle of absolutely nowhere, dirt roads only and all that good stuff. When we came back, there were a Cajun band waiting for us (average age 60+, in fact I could have sworn Mr CorkedHat and Mr Peabody was playing). They served us alligator in all kinds of ways and 1 dollar budweiser's.

I thought I was in heaven for a day.

YankeeJim

Finny,

I spent a month down there, part of it in Houma, which is the heart of Cajun Country. I can still taste the crab etouffee.  :clap_hands:
What I found funny was that the sauces were much like Coke & Pepsi....ya, never see both in the same eatery. I became partial to the Louisiana Hot Sauce Brand. I have always thought that McIlhenny's Tabasco sauce was a bit on the vinager side. Course, saying that down on the bayou just might get you one of those cajun boxing kicks.  :002:

BTW, I gained 9 lbs, in 30 days.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

duffbeer

duffbeer

And on the subject of Louisiana, no one has mentioned Cajun food.  Delicious.  Nothing like a good gumbo or some blackened seafood or etouffee.  I used to make a chicken and andouille sausage gumbo every Christmas Eve, but my in-laws have spoiled that.  OOOhhh now I'm depresssed   :56:

And where's the love for Spanky?

finnster01

Quote from: duffbeer on October 06, 2010, 03:20:35 PM
And on the subject of Louisiana, no one has mentioned Cajun food.  Delicious.  Nothing like a good gumbo or some blackened seafood or etouffee.  I used to make a chicken and andouille sausage gumbo every Christmas Eve, but my in-laws have spoiled that.  OOOhhh now I'm depresssed   :56:

And where's the love for Spanky?
What a great idea for a Christmas dinner, Ms DuffBeer. Especially in the colder climates that time of the year. Nothing like a nice gumbo and a hot spicy jambalaya or blackened seafood when it is cold outside.

I think you have just given me an excellent idea because I am soooo tired of the old Christmas turkey/ham/even rib routine every year.  :clap_hands: :clap_hands: