more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Food Discussion

Started by Steve_orino, April 11, 2010, 05:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on December 10, 2010, 01:54:29 PM
I'm a bit late coming to this omelette debate (do spell it properly, you colonial chaps).  I suggest a quite runny omelette and just smoked salmon. A dash of lemon  is optional.
Serve with lightly toasted bread (whichever type suits you) and a glass of chilled sauvignon. 

Heaven on earth.     Bet that gets Finnster slobbering all over his keyboard.
He already has :clap_hands:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on December 10, 2010, 03:25:56 PM
Quote from: FC Silver Fox on December 10, 2010, 01:54:29 PM
I'm a bit late coming to this omelette debate (do spell it properly, you colonial chaps).  I suggest a quite runny omelette and just smoked salmon. A dash of lemon  is optional.
Serve with lightly toasted bread (whichever type suits you) and a glass of chilled sauvignon. 

Heaven on earth.     Bet that gets Finnster slobbering all over his keyboard.
Runny omelettes are wrong so is Smoked salmon, it must be them silly French who think they have the best food in the World but are mightily wrong  giving you a bad influence.

they're not omelettes that way, they're scrambled eggs but I do love them with smoke salmon, capers and lemon. yum

RidgeRider

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on December 10, 2010, 01:58:12 PM
Chorizo and chick pea stew.

I tried this recipe recently and it is brilliantly exotic, very quick to make and you can have the ingredients handy in your kitchen as a handy backup for an instant dinner party meal.
Do include the dried apricots that Nigella puts as optional.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chorizo_and_chickpea_29607

Wonderful. For those of us who are gluten free you could use brown rice pasta and red quinoa for the bulgur wheat.

YankeeJim

With all the stuff you guys are putting in your eggs, why not just make a quiche?

I will say that REAL men don't cook quiche. They may eat it when some sweetie serves it to them (at least until they score) but make one? I think you have to be a bit light in the loafers.   :038:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

duffbeer

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on December 10, 2010, 01:58:12 PM
Chorizo and chick pea stew.

I tried this recipe recently and it is brilliantly exotic, very quick to make and you can have the ingredients handy in your kitchen as a handy backup for an instant dinner party meal.
Do include the dried apricots that Nigella puts as optional.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chorizo_and_chickpea_29607

That does not sound appetising to me.  Cinnamon with chorizo, chickpeas, tomatoes, and apricots?   :023:  Of course, to me chorizo is the mexican sausage which is a fresh sausage spiced up with hot peppers.  I'll assume this recipe uses a cured, sweet sausage but I still dont like the idea of cinnamon with sausage, or chickpeas.  If you replace the cinnamon with some combination of ground coriander, cumin, tumeric, etc and throw out the apricots, I'd give it a try.  I've never been one for cooked fruit in a main course.  

RidgeRider

Given we are so close to Christmas Eve and Day. Curious, do you:

Have Turkey or something else for Christmas dinner?

Do you open presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

Favorite dish for Christmas dinner? Have a recipe?

Merry Christmas everyone!

finnster01

Given we are so close to Christmas Eve and Day. Curious, do you:

Have Turkey or something else for Christmas dinner? - Yes, why wouldn't you have dinner on Christmas?  :024: Seriously though, no turkey but a seafood bouillabaisse with a seafood ceviche for starters, a nice bottle of Chardonnay or two, followed by a New York Cheesecake and a port.

Do you open presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? - Presents? What presents? Trying to keep that simple and we have already treated ourselves, but the odd token present to be open on Christmas Day to keep in the spirits of things.

Favorite dish for Christmas dinner? Have a recipe? - No fav, just looking for something other than turkey ATM

Merry Christmas everyone! - And the same to you and yours Mr RR  :045:

duffbeer

I posted a reply but it disappeared into cyber space.  Hopefully i'll have time later.  Nice post idea Ridge and props to Finn for his port and cheesecake for dessert - in my miind that is the pairing of the best dessert ideas from England and the USA.  Together they're a bit sweet but we overdo everything a bit in the USA  dont we.  Mr. Finn can you recommend any ports in particular. I want to get my husband one for Christmas and I dont care how much it costs.

YankeeJim

Well my momma use to say that Christmas dinner without ham is like Thanksgiving without turkey. I don't know why but momma said it and I still have ham on Christmas 26 years after she was called to her reward.

Now, being a former southern Maryland boy, the ham should be a Maryland stuffed ham...as unique a ham as you have ever had. Blanch white & green onions, pepper corns, red pepper & kale. Chop it all up. Take a corned ham & a long boning knife. Going with the grain of the ham cut long deep x's into the ham at about a two inch spread. Literally, stuff the aforementioned blanched items into each x until it comes out the other end. The ham will increase in circumference by about half. Wrap tightly in cheese cloth & boil it in the blanch water for an hour or so. Remove & let drain & cool. Remove the cheese cloth & slice across the grain. Serve cold. You end up with a ham slice that has the spicy filling in little circles spaced across it's face. Serve with a hot mustard and buckets of beer. Sounds odd but a true delight.

RidgeRider

Quote from: YankeeJim on December 21, 2010, 02:31:33 AM
Well my momma use to say that Christmas dinner without ham is like Thanksgiving without turkey. I don't know why but momma said it and I still have ham on Christmas 26 years after she was called to her reward.

Now, being a former southern Maryland boy, the ham should be a Maryland stuffed ham...as unique a ham as you have ever had. Blanch white & green onions, pepper corns, red pepper & kale. Chop it all up. Take a corned ham & a long boning knife. Going with the grain of the ham cut long deep x's into the ham at about a two inch spread. Literally, stuff the aforementioned blanched items into each x until it comes out the other end. The ham will increase in circumference by about half. Wrap tightly in cheese cloth & boil it in the blanch water for an hour or so. Remove & let drain & cool. Remove the cheese cloth & slice across the grain. Serve cold. You end up with a ham slice that has the spicy filling in little circles spaced across it's face. Serve with a hot mustard and buckets of beer. Sounds odd but a true delight.

Jim, it sounds wonderful actually. I may try it this year cause I don't know if I want to cook another Turkey. Do you use the blanching water for soup later?

finnster01

Quote from: duffbeer on December 21, 2010, 02:15:20 AM
I posted a reply but it disappeared into cyber space.  Hopefully i'll have time later.  Nice post idea Ridge and props to Finn for his port and cheesecake for dessert - in my miind that is the pairing of the best dessert ideas from England and the USA.  Together they're a bit sweet but we overdo everything a bit in the USA  dont we.  Mr. Finn can you recommend any ports in particular. I want to get my husband one for Christmas and I dont care how much it costs.
Ms Duff,
Get him a bottle of Fonseca Vintage Port 2007 (scores 95 on wine spectator, should be around 90 dollars) or
Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port 2007  (94 on Wine Spectator and sells for about 80 dollars). Both can be aged for a long time, but I have enjoyed both already and they are an excellent wine already.

In general, avoid anything from 1977 or 2002. Awful years for port.

I have a few bottles of both of these above. They are great ports and very reasonable priced (for a good bottle of port that is) and you can get them from Wine.com if you can't find them in your local wine store.
http://www.wine.com/v6/Dessert-Sherry-and-Port/wine/list.aspx?N=7155+128

duffbeer

Thanks very much Finn!  I will look for the Fonesca and the Quinta do Vesuvio, the latter one sounds exciting.  

As I mentioned earlier my menus are dummed down due to my in-laws, they cant handle anything spicy, any onions or peppers, or any exotic spices that they arent used to.  The resulting Christmas menu is:

Prime rib au jus, mashed potatoes and parnips (in-laws dont know about the parsnips), popovers, and a salad of mixed greens, goat cheese, sugared pecans, grape tomatoes, and cucumber served with a fresh balsamic vinegaette.  I'm eternally grateful that my in-laws will actually eat and enjoy the salad considering it is fresh and isnt over cooked.  The salad dressing is quite tasty so here's the recipe:

1 Tbsp sugar
1 pressed garlic clove
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp minced fresh basil
1 Tbsp minced onion (or use a pinch of onion powder if you want)
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. vegetable oil or olive oil
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
Christmas Eve will be an assortment of appetizers and a soup with fresh bread.  This year I'm going to do a New England clam chowder and the appetizers will be mini ruebens in puff pastry, fresh veggies & spinach dip, cheese & crackers, and a fruit salad.  Christmas morning is a French toast casserole, sausage, and fruit smoothies made by my lovely brother-in-law.  These days I don't make desserts because by Christmas Eve and Christmas, there are enough baked cookies and homemade toffee around for dessert. Lots of food; I don't eat much of it. I just drink red wine Julia Child style and try not to chop off my fingers when I'm cooking.   :wine:

Ridge, I've been cooking just about every day of my life since I was 12 years old so if you're looking for any type of recipe, I may be able to help.  Before I was married, I made a chicken and andouille sausage gumbo for Xmas Eve and a beef tenderloin encrusted with peppercorn and spices for Xmas dinner, those were my favs.  I'd have to go find the recipes but would do so and post them if anyone is interested.

As far as presents, the kids open one gift on Christmas Eve and the rest are opened on Christmas morning.  

Merry Christmas everyone, happy eating.

YankeeJim

Quote from: RidgeRider on December 21, 2010, 02:43:24 AM

Jim, it sounds wonderful actually. I may try it this year cause I don't know if I want to cook another Turkey. Do you use the blanching water for soup later?

Hadn't thought of that actually. We just used it to steam the crabs that went with the ham. It is Maryland after all.

duffbeer

Quote from: YankeeJim on December 21, 2010, 03:19:16 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on December 21, 2010, 02:43:24 AM

Hadn't thought of that actually. We just used it to steam the crabs that went with the ham. It is Maryland after all.

That does sound interesting.  I've never heard of a corned ham.  Is it differentfrom a regular cured ham that you can get at any grocer?L How does it compare to a corned beef?  Does it have a similar taste?

RidgeRider

Quote from: duffbeer on December 21, 2010, 01:24:14 PM
Thanks very much Finn!  I will look for the Fonesca and the Quinta do Vesuvio, the latter one sounds exciting.  

As I mentioned earlier my menus are dummed down due to my in-laws, they cant handle anything spicy, any onions or peppers, or any exotic spices that they arent used to.  The resulting Christmas menu is:

Prime rib au jus, mashed potatoes and parnips (in-laws dont know about the parsnips), popovers, and a salad of mixed greens, goat cheese, sugared pecans, grape tomatoes, and cucumber served with a fresh balsamic vinegaette.  I'm eternally grateful that my in-laws will actually eat and enjoy the salad considering it is fresh and isnt over cooked.  The salad dressing is quite tasty so here's the recipe:

1 Tbsp sugar
1 pressed garlic clove
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp minced fresh basil
1 Tbsp minced onion (or use a pinch of onion powder if you want)
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. vegetable oil or olive oil
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
Christmas Eve will be an assortment of appetizers and a soup with fresh bread.  This year I'm going to do a New England clam chowder and the appetizers will be mini ruebens in puff pastry, fresh veggies & spinach dip, cheese & crackers, and a fruit salad.  Christmas morning is a French toast casserole, sausage, and fruit smoothies made by my lovely brother-in-law.  These days I don't make desserts because by Christmas Eve and Christmas, there are enough baked cookies and homemade toffee around for dessert. Lots of food; I don't eat much of it. I just drink red wine Julia Child style and try not to chop off my fingers when I'm cooking.   :wine:

Ridge, I've been cooking just about every day of my life since I was 12 years old so if you're looking for any type of recipe, I may be able to help.  Before I was married, I made a chicken and andouille sausage gumbo for Xmas Eve and a beef tenderloin encrusted with peppercorn and spices for Xmas dinner, those were my favs.  I'd have to go find the recipes but would do so and post them if anyone is interested.

As far as presents, the kids open one gift on Christmas Eve and the rest are opened on Christmas morning.  

Merry Christmas everyone, happy eating.

Thanks Mo! Sounds yummy and I may take you up on that. My Maureen (Mo) can't cook a lick, but she is a trier so I love her for her effort, thus big meals and parties are left to yours truly. Prime Rib sounds excellent! My 11 year old daughter won't eat pork cause their pink and that is her favorite color so if I go the YankeeJim ham route I will need to make something for her or I can make both and have lots of leftovers!

YankeeJim

Duffer, your getting technical on me. From what I understand, the pickling process is the same. I'd suggest you ask a butcher. Sorry I can't be more help. I wish my mother was around to answer these questions. Guess that's a loss one never really gets over.

duffbeer

Hope everyone's Xmas meals turned out well.  Now comes New Years and probably my single most favorite holiday food tradition from the southern states, Hoppin' John on New Years Day.  I pretty much only eat the earthy flavored black eyed pea on New Years but I do love it.  I like them spicy with onions, garlic, bell pepper, chopped tomatoes, and cooked with ham hocks for a smoked flavor then served over brown rice.  Yummm  Yum

pettyfog

Quote from: duffbeer on December 29, 2010, 05:30:30 PM
Hope everyone's Xmas meals turned out well.  Now comes New Years and probably my single most favorite holiday food tradition from the southern states, Hoppin' John on New Years Day.  I pretty much only eat the earthy flavored black eyed pea on New Years but I do love it.  I like them spicy with onions, garlic, bell pepper, chopped tomatoes, and cooked with ham hocks for a smoked flavor then served over brown rice.  Yummm  Yum

Hey... what about the New Years' sausage and kraut?

I cant believe this thread is still going on.

finnster01

Quote from: pettyfog on December 29, 2010, 06:10:57 PM
Quote from: duffbeer on December 29, 2010, 05:30:30 PM
Hope everyone's Xmas meals turned out well.  Now comes New Years and probably my single most favorite holiday food tradition from the southern states, Hoppin' John on New Years Day.  I pretty much only eat the earthy flavored black eyed pea on New Years but I do love it.  I like them spicy with onions, garlic, bell pepper, chopped tomatoes, and cooked with ham hocks for a smoked flavor then served over brown rice.  Yummm  Yum

Hey... what about the New Years' sausage and kraut?

I cant believe this thread is still going on.
Mr Pettyfog,
I certainly can. Food is one of the great things in life and I for one love to hear what other people eat especially in different regions/cultures. This thread will last a long time.

I do like the Polish Kelbasa quite a bit and frequently grill them. Great stuff. However I wouldn't run to the store to get them for a major Holiday though

duffbeer

Hey Finn,  I got the Fonesca for my husband and he  loved it.  Thanks so much for the advice!  He got turned on to Port when we lived in England.  Port and cheese is my favorite dessert as I'm not much for sweets (other than cheesecake) and again that is something I took away from our time in your great country.