watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The FoF non-existant but ever present "Badge of Honor"

Started by mccscratch, September 27, 2012, 01:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mccscratch

I am growing ever tired of this hidden yet outwardly display of affection for players from the 60s, 70s and early 80s just to make the newer people feel less important...

Anytime something like Dempsey gets brought up... you old gits want to talk about the good old (actually often no so good) days when you stood on the terraces and supported the likes of Marsh, Jezzard,  Ivor and Terry Angus etc...

Those of us who have come to the club in the last 10 years (like myself) are well aware that a wonderful club existed before our time supporting Fulham... and indeed many of you have the good fortune of being simply older and geographically convenienced in order to do so...

Also I am pretty sure that most of the newer supporters on here like myself are just fine with you paying homage to the days of yore at the club but it does not need to be used a tool for slagging people off or the newer players that they have grown to love in their time following and supporting the Whites...

There is no Badge of Honor...merely respect for those that have been lifelong supporters... and kudos to you... but please stop using it as a tool to belittle others...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

TonyGilroy

I think you're seeing a motive that doesn't exist.

There's no reason why the old farts shouldn't discuss old players as much as they like and newcomers can choose whether or not to take an interest.

Should not be confused with feelings about Dempsey which is a topic discussed to death. People DISAGREE as they are entitled to do.

domprague

Plebs like you should know your place. You'll be tellling government ministers they can't ride their bikes through gates next.
Good points, though.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: domprague on September 27, 2012, 01:18:47 PM
You'll be tellling government ministers they can't ride their bikes through gates next.

Riding them over cliffs would be better.

domprague

I took it as meaning let's talk about the old times but not look down on newcomers. That might be a non-existent problem but it's good to be aware of it.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Quote from: mccscratch on September 27, 2012, 01:11:54 PM
I am growing ever tired of this hidden yet outwardly display of affection for players from the 60s, 70s and early 80s just to make the newer people feel less important...

Anytime something like Dempsey gets brought up... you old gits want to talk about the good old (actually often no so good) days when you stood on the terraces and supported the likes of Marsh, Jezzard,  Ivor and Terry Angus etc...

Those of us who have come to the club in the last 10 years (like myself) are well aware that a wonderful club existed before our time supporting Fulham... and indeed many of you have the good fortune of being simply older and geographically convenienced in order to do so...

Also I am pretty sure that most of the newer supporters on here like myself are just fine with you paying homage to the days of yore at the club but it does not need to be used a tool for slagging people off or the newer players that they have grown to love in their time following and supporting the Whites...

There is no Badge of Honor...merely respect for those that have been lifelong supporters... and kudos to you... but please stop using it as a tool to belittle others...

Iin 20 years time when Al Fayed is long dead and we are playing in the 3rd division, with no money and we discover some young striker from the MLS and he starts to score a lot of goals for us, you as a deyed in the wool fulham supporter will no doubt remind all those saying that he is the best thing since sliced bread, that we had another player from the MLS who scored goals for us and some younger / newer supporter will moan at you...

Burt

I'm cool with this, so long as everyone agrees that Eddie Johnson was the best player ever to grace a Fulham shirt  :dft011:

jarv

A bit harsh. I am one of those  092.gif and the forum is a great way to enjoy the nostalgia of days gone by. Wait about 30 years and you will know what I mean.

I used to live in Putney and enjoy not just the football but all the threads about the area, pubs, the way it was, pictures from the past etc etc.

There is a depth to these threads which perhaps only we understand.

Peabody

Oh dear, here we go, Cottage Corner comes to FOF.

The other day, when I did not respond positively to all the Dempsy threads, I was told to scroll by. Suggest that may be good advice.

Incidently, I have never said that they were the good old days, because quite clearly, they were not. But we had some bloody good players back then, just as we have now.

Gozorich

I apologise profusely for having supported FFC for 50 years and boasting about it. I also take this opportunity to say I am sorry that I watched Haynes, Leggatt, Chamberlain, Cohen, Sir Bobby Robson, Macedo etc. and thought they were quite good - better, in fact, than most who have followed.

I will drag myself into my corner and dribble away till my hearts content and promise never to say a bad word about our present day squad - even that tosspot Dempsey.  092.gif

You had better believe it.

mccscratch

Quote from: jarv on September 27, 2012, 01:26:05 PM
A bit harsh. I am one of those  092.gif and the forum is a great way to enjoy the nostalgia of days gone by. Wait about 30 years and you will know what I mean.

I used to live in Putney and enjoy not just the football but all the threads about the area, pubs, the way it was, pictures from the past etc etc.

Jarv... people are taking this wrong... I enjoy those threads very much too... my time spent in London was in Staines but I tried my best to get around SW6 quite a bit so that is something I read...

I am talking about when new players are discussed (especially fondly) in a thread the elders come on in and use old player names to belittle the new supporters for having a love for a player that only played a few games for us, Dempsey threads of late was just an example... trust me I have seen it happen on this board countless times...

mccscratch

Quote from: Gozorich on September 27, 2012, 01:33:45 PM
I apologise profusely for having supported FFC for 50 years and boasting about it. I also take this opportunity to say I am sorry that I watched Haynes, Leggatt, Chamberlain, Cohen, Sir Bobby Robson, Macedo etc. and thought they were quite good - better, in fact, than most who have followed.

I will drag myself into my corner and dribble away till my hearts content and promise never to say a bad word about our present day squad - even that tosspot Dempsey.  092.gif

You had better believe it.

Thank you for the fine example...

Peabody

Quote from: mccscratch on September 27, 2012, 01:34:44 PM
Quote from: jarv on September 27, 2012, 01:26:05 PM

Jarv... people are taking this wrong... I enjoy those threads very much too... my time spent in London was in Staines but I tried my best to get around SW6 quite a bit so that is something I read...

I am talking about when new players are discussed (especially fondly) in a thread the elders come on in and use old player names to belittle the new supporters for having a love for a player that only played a few games for us, Dempsey threads of late was just an example... trust me I have seen it happen on this board countless times...

OK, give us examples, name names. Over to you.

TonyGilroy

So what. Really.

If old timers think that new player A is nowhere near as good as old player B why shouldn't they say so.

They're probably wrong but this isn't holy scripture. We're just passing the time of day talking mostly cobblers.

Except for me, obviously.

Rupert

In the interests of stopping some sort of turf war, could MccScratch point out where he believes this has happened?

If it is something I have posted (I hope not), I assure you there was no intention to put anyone in their place by talking about Ivor or Harry Bayles or whoever, these are simply the names we knew those players by, and anyone from that era will know who we mean. I do not feel intimidated by senior citizens rattling on about Macedo or Tosh or any others who came and went before my time. Ditto, many of our newer fans will use terms like "McGod" when referring to McBride. The fact that anyone who came on board during or after the Europa run (the more successful one) may not know who Brian is would not be intended as any sort of rebuke, or I hope not, anyway.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Peabody

No one, not even Tony Gilroy, is going to convince me that Tony Macedo is not our greatest ever goalkeepr but that is just my opinion.

TonyGilroy

Ah the classic competition for a first team place between goalkeeping God Macedo and lesser mortals Jack MacClelland and Iain Seymour.

I remember it well. We shipped goals whichever played.

Peabody

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

I don't see why having an opinion about a Fulham player that not everybody is aware of is anything to apologise for..

We could always have a board for each era (if we could decide upon eras) so that nobody posting could possibly be offended by 'out of era' comments, but no that would be a very, very foolish idea...

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: mccscratch on September 27, 2012, 01:11:54 PM

Anytime something like Dempsey gets brought up... you old gits want to talk about the good old (actually often no so good) days when you stood on the terraces and supported the likes of Marsh, Jezzard,  Ivor and Terry Angus etc...

I know, we'll change the way we are because you only started supporting this glorious club when Eddie Lewis came over.

George Best, who!?
@sonikkicks on Twitter.