watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR--3 Cuban Soccer Players Defect in Canada

Started by LordNelson, October 13, 2012, 06:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordNelson

"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

btings

This happens pretty regularly with baseball players.  The latest (Yoenis Cespedes) was tearing it up in Oakland this year.

Oiseau

There was an article about two other defected Cuban players in FourFourTwo last month. They're both playing in the MLS at the moment but they're not allowed to see their families (who are in Cuba) ever again. It's quite upsetting. Apparently the quality of life in Cuba is quite high, though.

The even sadder situation is that faced by North Korean football players. Wasn't the National Team sent off to do forced labour as a punishment after the last World Cup? And a few of them defected in South Africa (three at least)? I wonder how far they made it? Jong Tae-Se is the only North Korean player playing outside the country but he's got dual Japanese citizenship. He's also the only squad member to own a mobile phone. The only minor positive is that it's the only national side to offer their women's side the same quality facilities as their men's squad.

This is sort of unrelated but has anyone read Shin In Geun's book? His story is absolutely horrific but incredible. There was a Guardian article about his story but it's since expired.

Snibbo

I went to Cuba about 5 years ago. It's no paradise. But if I was poor, I'd rather be poor in Cuba than say in New Orleans.  Cuba has lower infant mortality, better basic education and healthcare, lower crime, infinitely smaller drug problem than the U.S.A.

The issue is, that if you've got the opportunity to make mega bucks, you're obviously not going to get them in Cuba - though I think top sportsmen get reasonably looked after.

There's more than one way to run a country, and whilst Cuba certainly doesn't have it right, there are a lot of things it does better for its people than the U.S.A.  Remember that under U.S.A rule, it was basically a brothel and a gambling den.

LordNelson

Quote from: Snibbo on October 15, 2012, 01:15:44 AM
I went to Cuba about 5 years ago. It's no paradise. But if I was poor, I'd rather be poor in Cuba than say in New Orleans.  Cuba has lower infant mortality, better basic education and healthcare, lower crime, infinitely smaller drug problem than the U.S.A.

The issue is, that if you've got the opportunity to make mega bucks, you're obviously not going to get them in Cuba - though I think top sportsmen get reasonably looked after.

There's more than one way to run a country, and whilst Cuba certainly doesn't have it right, there are a lot of things it does better for its people than the U.S.A.  Remember that under U.S.A rule, it was basically a brothel and a gambling den.

I notice you don't happen to live in cuba--because you wouldn't be able to post on a board like this if you did.  To cast this as a desire for money is superficial.  Any country you have to sneak out of because your government won't let you leave isn't worth a pile of shite.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Snibbo

Quote from: LordNelson on October 15, 2012, 01:39:51 PM
Quote from: Snibbo on October 15, 2012, 01:15:44 AM
I notice you don't happen to live in cuba--because you wouldn't be able to post on a board like this if you did.  To cast this as a desire for money is superficial.  Any country you have to sneak out of because your government won't let you leave isn't worth a pile of shite.
Did I say I wanted to live in Cuba? Did I say it was perfect? So rather than engage in a rational argument, you descend straight to abuse. Why do you even bother responding?

McBridefan1

How sad is it that Cuba is poorer than poor and yet it can provide health care to its citizens. As a totalitarian government they are under no pressure to do so, yet they do. So if those evil bas tards can provide health care with no money why can't the richest country on the planet do the same for its citizens? Shame on us for letting such a horrible government show us up. Shame on you if you don't support national health care. Greed has its place and its place should be nowhere near the well being of our citizens. 

LordNelson

And there was full employment under Hitler. Let's have a listing of the bright spots of totalitarianism.   How enlightening.

HatterDon

Quote from: LordNelson on October 16, 2012, 04:30:04 PM
And there was full employment under Hitler. Let's have a listing of the bright spots of totalitarianism.   How enlightening.

I believe you are missing the point of the distinguished gentleman from Massachusetts.

I also believe that you are doing so purposefully.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

A Humble Man

Quote from: McBridefan1 on October 16, 2012, 03:38:49 PM
How sad is it that Cuba is poorer than poor and yet it can provide health care to its citizens. As a totalitarian government they are under no pressure to do so, yet they do. So if those evil bas tards can provide health care with no money why can't the richest country on the planet do the same for its citizens? Shame on us for letting such a horrible government show us up. Shame on you if you don't support national health care. Greed has its place and its place should be nowhere near the well being of our citizens. 

Rich Americans do not like healthcare for the poor because they will have to pay for it.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

McBridefan1

Good point, our government has taken a lesson from Hitler with all the defense spending. I hadn't looked at it that way. In your backwoods sort of way you made my point. Which is that our priorities are out of whack.

cebu

Ah, one of the famous Nazi myths. Germany's unemployment problems only disappeared when universal conscription was introduced. If you're in the armed forces, you don't appear on the unemployment register!

1933 - 6m unemployed
Losses in WW2 5-6m (depending on what you read)
Unemployment problem resolved!

mccscratch

Quote from: McBridefan1 on October 16, 2012, 05:48:08 PM
And there was full employment under Hitler. Let's have a listing of the bright spots of totalitarianism.   How enlightening.

Good point, our government has taken a lesson from Hitler with all the defense spending. I hadn't looked at it that way. In your backwoods sort of way you made my point. Which is that our priorities are out of whack.

What many of you may not realize is that McBridefan1 is a northeastern guy who I believe from his past postings on politics is actually very moderate to almost conservative which is a rarity in his part of the country... yet even he realizes how foolish the rest of the world must think we are to not have some form of healthcare for all of its citizens...

Our defense budget is pure lunacy that even someone from the far right wing could not possibly justify without extreme rhetoric...

Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

YankeeJim

How long before this thread of nonsense is locked?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

YankeeJim

Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

CanadianCottager

I really hope that tonight 18 Canadian soccer players, their coach and executives defected in Honduras...