News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Great players? Poor team? Coaching challenge?

Started by NogoodBoyo, November 03, 2012, 07:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NogoodBoyo

We probably have the strongest squad we've ever seen in our manor but the players don't play well together as a team. 
Why?  Lack of consistence in team selection.  Lack of leadership on the pitch.  Schwartzer's poor distribution from the back which is frustrating the front and midfield players.  The back four don't want the ball thrown to their feet.  Neither do the central midfielders.  So he hoofs it up with all the accuracy and elegance of a three-legged giraffe.
However, we have flair.  Berbatov, Ruiz, Duff, Kaca, Frei, even Diarra.  But there's insufficient intelligent movement and awareness.
Hangers is also a poor captain.  There's too much negative leadership from elsewhere, particularly from Berba and Diarra, even Baird who's body lingo showed a distinct level of misery in the second half after being moved to left back.
But, there is nothing here we didn't predict at the end of the transfer season.  You don't lose the heart and soul of the club and hope to perform to expectations.  The amazing thing is that we are actually exceeding expectations because there's one huge difference between this squad and the post Tigana squads.  GOALS.  Lots of them.
Even when we're down and out and on the ropes, we still have the capacity to score from all sorts of odd places.  Baird? Sidwell?  Duff?  Of course, Berbatov and Petric are very classy scorers. 
The key lies with Jol.  Can he bring this bunch of talented but disconnected people together before the fickle Fulham faithful turn on them and morale sours like rancid pickle on a Marmite sandwich?  Can he coach some Hodgson-like structure into the squad so we don't see our team played off the park when the system is overrun as it was today.
As much as were out-coached today for 89 minutes, I think Jol can do it.  After all, his substitutions saved the day and he really was dealt a disastrous series of body blows at the end of the summer.  As long as we carry on picking up points and stabilise the team instead of all the chopping and changing we have seen thus far with our new squad, the more likely it is that he will have a good season.
Nogood "good point that is, isit" Boyo

Me-ate-Live, innit??

While it is true that our  players are not used to each other , Everton are and a good team too
and they didn't need the ref but they had him from the off.  Swartz kept us in the game so we  can overlook his distribution (it ain't going to improve now)  God bless him !!. That Felini must have rocket boosters in his barnet ...............a right tricky little herbett

Count Berbatov

Jol does seem to struggle picking up the optimal starting XI, but does get the subs right. Therefore, I think the lack of a proper pre season could be the reason for it. Some joined after it and the first half of the regular season is now being used for getting the lads to know each other and the style of play
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

cottage cheese

ive noticed there is no communication on the pitch at times. Neville on the other hand was ranting and raving at his crew when they made a mistake etc..We dont have that and I think that is a reason to why sometimes we dont seem to gel. We have no real leader who motivates the team during games like today.

Thats just my opinion!

mangoputney

I really don't rate Hangers as Capt... Seems off pace, weight on shoulders, mind elsewhere

Bit worrying in that Evertons game plan / tactics so consistent that we just froze

Ball retention, distribution and composure today was absolutely horrendous
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

McBridefan1

let's be fair, you can replace one or two guys in a squad and the team can carry on. But we replaced Clint, Murphy, Etuhu, and Dembele... replacing one of those guys is tough enough, replacing all of them in a short time makes consistency a little inconsistent. The main reason we had been getting better year after year is because our boys were so familiar with one another. We had just been losing a guy and picking up a guy, this year we lost a team and picked up a team. I think this team is very talented it just needs time.

NogoodBoyo

I agree McBrideFan69 and I want to let you all know that I am endorsing him as candidate for mole-catcher in Wormwood Scrubs.
Nogood "got to love the fan, isit" Boyo

Jambo

I'm trying not to look to much into today.  It was a massive clash of styles that we are always going to struggle against, I expect the same against stoke in a couple of weeks.
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

NogoodBoyo

It's funny, but we had the full game on tape delay over here.  Watching it second time around we weren't nearly as dire as I thought we had been.  
Kaca looked like Briggs in his defensive duties - just lost - but he was useful indeed in attack.  His through ball to Berbatov for what was very nearly a great goal (saved at close range by Howard's strong right hand) was sublime.  Kaca made some powerful runs too.  He seems to tire or lose concentration as the game goes on - or doesn't go our way perhaps.
Hangers showed a lot more determination and, contrary to many opinions, made some good passes, including digging out a lost ball (his) in the middle of the park before spreading it wide resulting in our equaliser.  
Riise was just exposed by Kaca's inexperience.  
Schwartzer did indeed make some very good saves.
Strugglers?  Hughes.  He should never have been out-muscled for Fellaini's second.  But what a player that fro-man is.  A joy to watch, if I'm honest.  Baird wasn't that great.  Perhaps the biggest disappointment second time round was Berbatov.  Just not at the races today.
Nogood "looking not half bad, we were, isit" Boyo

Me-ate-Live, innit??

.......and I still think you are hard on Hughes,  Boyo.  Fellaini  has made all defenders look like dummies this season, including ManU.   He is like zebedee ......the body goes in the opposite direction to his very thin  legs  

http://youtu.be/2zCGjSoZzkY

Lighthouse

The transfer window hurt us and deflated Jol. I don't think that this is a great squad. Too many players the same and too many players who struggle to play 90 minutes. We will struggle with Baird and Diarra in the middle and has there been a season where we have been so badly outclassed twice at home despite the score line? Berbatov needs a speedy forward to make runs and make space for him.

We don't know our best side with this squad and the fact we have done so well so far is a great example of guts and fortune, good and bad. As McBrideFan said we lost a side and are building a side. If Jol stays he will need backing from the powers that be. Otherwise he clearly is not going to settle for mid table safety and will go elsewhere.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

PaulJ123

Not necessarily a quick striker to go with him but play kaca and Dejagah on the wings to take the full backs out the game. Playing duff who cuts in the majority of the time takes away room for Berbatov and Ruiz to work in. If we played actual wingers, this would allow ruiz and Berbatov more room to show off their talents

Apprentice to the Maestro

We were not out-coached. We were outplayed by a strong and very capable side who played a high paced game for ninety minutes and never let us settle on the ball. Everton may be strong enough this season to keep hold of fourth place.

We have had many changes, particularly the loss of Dembele plus the introduction of several new players, so need some time to regain that understanding and discipline we have had at our best. Also recognise our greatly improve goal threat under Jol.

Listen to Jol's pre- and post-match comments if you want confirmation that Jol fully understands the strategy and tactics needed.

JBH

The problem is that Hangeland is not a vocal capatain and his contract talks are affecting him, the player that should be captain is???????????????

But to say that we don't play well together is not correct, we have double the points that we had at this time last year, we are scoring goals and always look dangerous on the attack, the squad had had a lot of personnel changes and are stll bedding in under a new system.

So I am happy with the team but not with the captain 065.gif

MJG

Quote from: JBH on November 04, 2012, 08:12:35 AM
The problem is that Hangeland is not a vocal capatain and his contract talks are affecting him, the player that should be captain is???????????????

But to say that we don't play well together is not correct, we have double the points that we had at this time last year, we are scoring goals and always look dangerous on the attack, the squad had had a lot of personnel changes and are stll bedding in under a new system.

I'm not so sure about Hangeland being affected by contracts and even if he should be captain, but i can say I would not want Diarra as captain. His attitude is that whenever makes mistakes and is soon on everyone else's case if they make one.

VicHalomsLovechild

I'd have to say I enjoyed today's game. Everton put us under pressure from the off and when they had  the ball they used it well. We were outplayed for long periods but our players stuck with it and for me that's the big positive. Diarra makes his feelings felt and I don't have a problem with that and Berber isn't slow in telling players off when the pass isn't inch perfect. It has to be a massive plus for us to have a play of his quality demanding others raise their game to his level.
   As Nogood said after being at the game, then watching the highlights just now. Players who seemed to have had an off day actual did get a couple of critical saves/tackles/passes in which kept us in the game and got us the point.
   I have to say I prefer the roller coaster ride with Jol than the more sedate organised approach of Roy.

Keefy

Things are not all bad. Its true things can ( and will be) improved BUT when all said and done we are in 7th position and only 3 point off a Champions League place. As a cup half full type, I am well pleased with things so far...Bring on the Arsenal!

Harold Shand

Quote from: Keefy on November 04, 2012, 10:03:32 AM
Things are not all bad. Its true things can ( and will be) improved BUT when all said and done we are in 7th position and only 3 point off a Champions League place. As a cup half full type, I am well pleased with things so far...Bring on the Arsenal!

I'm with you Keefy.

If we can stay top half until Jan and then strengthen I'll be happy.

JBH

Quote from: MJG on November 04, 2012, 08:52:04 AM

I'm not so sure about Hangeland being affected by contracts and even if he should be captain, but i can say I would not want Diarra as captain. His attitude is that whenever makes mistakes and is soon on everyone else's case if they make one.

So you are saying that Diarra is just like Murphy

MJG

Quote from: JBH on November 05, 2012, 06:38:13 AM
Quote from: MJG on November 04, 2012, 08:52:04 AM

So you are saying that Diarra is just like Murphy
Worse in fact.