watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sorry for the negativity in advance...

Started by ClarksOriginal, December 26, 2012, 10:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClarksOriginal

As the title states, this post may be quite negative. Some of you may agree, other may not & that's fine! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

So, lets get this started.

I have a few gripes with the team, style of play, players.

Firstly, our left-back John Arne-Riise. Cast your minds back to the beginning of last season if you will, JAR had just signed from AS Roma and slotted in nicely to the team at left-back. He started the season very well, he was solid and offered us an attacking threat down the left hand side.... that was until the season was around 6/7 games old when it looked like he'd run out of puff. This season we are in the same position - we get to 60 minutes and notice that out left hand side has no attacking potential because he's blowing out of his rear-end. Thankfully, after Christmas he picked it up and we became a more balanced team. This season however, his decision making has been poorer and he is giving the ball away in key areas. I hope he improves, if not maybe if it time to give Briggsy a chance - if not dip-in to the transfer market.

The reluctance to play youngsters - we are all agreed that we have some fantastic youngsters Frei, Kaca, Briggs, Kasami et al - yet other than the first two none of them are getting any playing time and even so some are getting hauled off during the middle of games where they are having areal effect (Kaca against Southampton today). How is a player meant to progress when they are getting little to no playing time!?! This really does aggravate me, Kasami - in my eyes at least- shows real attacking potential and given the minutes he could grow in to a really important player.

Mark Schwarzer - Heavily debated, I know. But for me, it's time to go Mark. Reflexes are slowing, decision making is getting worse, kicking as bad as ever. Either time to move Mark up/on and bring in Stocko or let them both go and get a new keeper in. I do rate Stocko, obviously needs to improve on his handling though.

Brede - The big man, arguably our best player of the last 3 years. At the moment the big Norwegian is hideously out of form. I remember a time on MOTD where they highlighted just how important Brede was at bringing the ball out of our defence and distributing. This season, it's gone from bad to worse, simple balls aren't going to a Fulham player and it's leaving us exposed. I don't by any means believe that it is time for Brede to move on, but bringing a young CB (i.e Forren) in to challenge the big man might do him the world of good and get him out of this rut he is in.

Baird & Sidwell - Before I start on this one, I know we have not had much to work with in the CM spot since September/October but my thoughts are that these two just do not work together. Most evidently against QPR away. We were an absolute shambles across the midfield, it was as if neither were talking to each other - they didn't know whether to press, hold or contain. Individually they are good players, Sidwell has impressed me with his phenomenal work rate and his nack of scoring crucial goals + his break up of play. Baird has been very astute with his passing but his technical ability vs. someone like Diarra, Nzonzi etc really lets him down.

Berbatov - Best player we've had in years, but REALLY needs to stop dropping deep to try and get the play to run through him. Prime example, again vs QPR, at more than one occasion he was on the half-way line with the ball, leaving Rodallega isolated up top on his own against a back 4. He is a goal scorer , so we need him to play further up the pitch. Obviously without Ruiz being there he is our main creator but we must address this problem otherwise we won't score goals.

Build up play - too slow, too predictable. Prime examples being NUFC home, QPR away. Nothing compared to the fluid football we saw vs Norwich on the opening day, Arsenal away.

On a positive note; I thoroughly believe that is we build on our depth of talent we will be a great team. A new defensive mid would be great, one that has vision and isn't afraid to get stuck in would be great - we missed a trick on Nzonzi IMO. A new CAM/CF with great technical ability would be ideal - easier said than done... perhaps Wijnaldum from PSV. A young, hungry CB who will challenge Brede, Forren would be a great addition. Will Hughes from Derby would be exceptional. A new striker who is strong enough, yet mobile enough to play the lone role up top would be fantastic, Kenwyne Jones, although a strong shout is leaving Stoke in Jan and definitely knows where the net is....

I'm really impressed by Reither - hope he signs permanently. Dejagah looks like he could be class once he finds his feet. Duffer, excellent as usual. Siddy, as mentioned above.

Anyway, sorry for being negative. Hope you all had a fantastic Christmas!

:xmas bell: :merry christmas: :xmas bell:
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

Oiseau

Definitely agree with all of your points. Dealing with Fulham has become so painfully easy for opposing teams with our build-up play being as predictable and slow as it is.

Hope you had a great Christmas  :021: