watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Make this guy captain

Started by TWFL, January 21, 2013, 10:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TWFL

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/01/21/3690309/sidwell-fulham-need-to-dig-deep-to-break-poor-form?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

No offence to Brede but he just doesn't motivate/hassle people enough for my liking, would much rather have Sidwell captain. He talks the right stuff and I'm 100% certain that he would do more to get people motivated and energised than Brede's been doing.

horse1031

he's injured quite often.  the last couple of games i enjoyed Brede's determination.

bill taylors apprentice

I think we are starting to see the best of Sidwell, but he is not ideal captain material.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: TWFL on January 21, 2013, 10:01:50 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/01/21/3690309/sidwell-fulham-need-to-dig-deep-to-break-poor-form?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

No offence to Brede but he just doesn't motivate/hassle people enough for my liking, would much rather have Sidwell captain. He talks the right stuff and I'm 100% certain that he would do more to get people motivated and energised than Brede's been doing.

Personally, I don't see much from anyone in our "starting 11" (in quotes b/c who the hell knows which they are) that screams out "captain". Brede deputized well for Murph and, I believe got the job by default. Just don't find him vocal enough. I'm sure there's plenty I miss, only seeing the televised version of events.

I'm surprised that Duff never got a run at the armband. Seems vocal, assertive, well respected, with so much experience in the league.

Not meaning to be overly critical, but I just don't see anyone with Murph's on field presence atm. Another part of our team in transition, I guess.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

HatterDon

not that I would second-guess a decision by Jol, but I wish he had given the armband to Sidwell -- even though I would have bellowed when it happened. Sidwell seems to be the only team veteran with any spirit in some of our matches. Hangeland is a great club servant, and has captained at the international level, but he's not going to tear into his teammates or do something exceptional on the pitch to inspire them.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

NogoodBoyo

I was sort of saving this for a thread of its own - because I think it's that important. 
However, I think I saw a close-up of Sidwell reacting to yet another hissy-fit from Berba when he threw his arms up in that rather histrionic manner of his because the ball was inches away from where Berba wanted it to be.
"Eff off," seemed to be the words from Sidwell's mouth.
Nogood "saying good on Sidders, isit" Boyo

Burt

This has cropped up a few times in recent weeks.

When things are going pear-shaped on the pitch you need someone with visible, vocal leadership skills and Hangers (bless him) just isn't that type.

Sidwell is probably the closest we have to it.

TonyGilroy

I think most of the important captaincy stuff happens off the pitch.

MJG

Captain of a football team is one of the most over rated things in the game.

epsomraver

Quote from: MJG on January 22, 2013, 09:25:13 AM

Sorry do not agree, watch Lee Clarke at Man U when we won there, watch Murph,always talking to the players, Morgan and Coleman were the same, the only one today who seems to adapt to that role apart from Sidwell  is Giorgio.

Burt

There will be times on the pitch when immediate leadership, motivation or even just a quiet word is required.

And even off the pitch, there has to be a senior figure who the players respect, look up to, take direction from etc. and this person may often have to act as the "filter" with the gaffer, in the event of tensions, disagreement, etc. i.e. it can be a steadying influence.

MJG

Quote from: epsomraver on January 22, 2013, 09:38:05 AM
Quote from: MJG on January 22, 2013, 09:25:13 AM

Sorry do not agree, watch Lee Clarke at Man U when we won there, watch Murph,always talking to the players, Morgan and Coleman were the same, the only one today who seems to adapt to that role apart from Sidwell  is Giorgio.
I just don't think its the be all and end of what makes a team work (or not).
Yes you get captains who you watch and think they make a difference and others who just wear the arm band but the team get on with what they should do anyway.

McBride for example led the line well and was a good ambassador for the team/club, but I would never say I saw him going around the team acting like a captain urging them to do better.

I do think being captain can have an adverse affect on a player, they take the job to heart and think they need to do something else instead of look after their own game. This is possibly whats happening to Brede, but i tend to think its other issues rather than being captain for him.

EDIT: Put it this way Brede being captain is not the reason we have been so poor.

DevonFFC

You don't have to have an armband to speak up...

You do have to have a team who communicate and listen however

Tonywa

Siddie is a decent call for captain IMHO, but to my mind the one guy who really gees up his fellow players and is constantly involved in bucking up the team is the ancient Greek - Karagounis!

filham

Quote from: Tonywa on January 22, 2013, 09:52:36 AM
Siddie is a decent call for captain IMHO, but to my mind the one guy who really gees up his fellow players and is constantly involved in bucking up the team is the ancient Greek - Karagounis!

From what we have seen of Karagounis he would seem to be the ideal man for the captains job but he has not been with us long and are his legs going to hold out for the next 15 critical premiership games.

But look, relegation alarm bells should be ringing and change of some kind is needed. We are not going to change our manager, we are not going to sign top premiership proven players so why not give the job to Karagounis with Sidwell as vice captain for the next 15 games.

earlbeatty

I've always been a huge fan of Hangeland since his first game away at Bolton, but for whatever reason (pressure of captaincy, unhappiness with Jol, poor form) he hasn't been at his best this season. Ideally, I think either Sidwell or Kara should be given the armband, but not sure what sort of message this would send to Brede, who doesn't appear to be that happy with his lot at Fulham.

Therefore, I reckon unless Brede leaves during this window, things will stay the same.

EB

sipwell

Sidwell would make a good captain, leading by example. He may not be the best footballer we have, but I see him in front of the opposition's goal and back making a necessary challenge in our penalty box.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

fulhamguy

Why do you have to have an armband to show effective leadership on the pitch?

Captain status is overrated in my opinion. You don't need an armband to encourage your team mates or show the way forward.
COYW!

bulgariawhite

IMO we have dug a hole with Brede. If we were to take the armband from him,  that would be the nail in the coffin for him. I admire him as a player and would like him to stay. Now is not the time for change.

cottage cheese

captain does nothing in football apart from coin toss and be the voice to the ref.

Its not like rugby or cricket where the captain is responsible for choices of either go for touch or kick at goal, bowling orders and who goes where etc. Its just an armband in football and really does not matter who gets it in my opinion. Its a dead job.