News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR--What Shall We Do With Good King Richard?

Started by LordNelson, February 05, 2013, 08:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where do you think they should rebury HRH Richard III?

Leicester Cathedral
5 (15.2%)
York
8 (24.2%)
Westminster Abbey
8 (24.2%)
Couldn't give a rat's behind
11 (33.3%)
Other
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

LordNelson

I know there are lots of more important issues in the world, BUT...........
Just out of curiosity, if you had a say, what would it be?

I vote for Westminster with lots of pomp & circumstance.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

leonffc

Ask Ferguson and Redknapp. We seem to have to endure their opinion on every other subject every time they appear on SSN or in a paper!!

Personally I suppose Westminster would be fitting but Leicester have a right to him under the 'archialogical treasure' rules dont they so I suppose they should have him? And theres not much else to go there for so it might boost tourism up there.

YankeeJim

Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Peabody

Arow has erupted over were to bury the remains. Leicester, were they were found and York because of his connection to there.

leonffc

Quote from: YankeeJim on February 05, 2013, 09:51:32 PM
Was he as bad as the Bard portrayed him?

Apparently not. There are some historians that argue that he was portrayed that way as a smear campaign by the tudors.

Burt

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

History is written by the victors. Apparently he was popular in Yorkshire so perhaps that's where he belongs.

I'd be more interested in finding a national hero like Alfred the Great. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

HatterDon

He was the one that stuck his finger in a dyke, right?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ron

Surely York Minster. In life that was his place...in death he lay forgotten in Leicestershire for a good part of the last 500 years.

If we work on the fact that his evil reputation is nothing more than a Shakespearean calumny, then he deserves the honour of being buried in his own place.

As an aide memoire to remember the order of the colours of the spectrum, we say Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain. Perhaps if his reinstatement warns us of the dangers of believing everything the establishment wants us to hear, then he didn't.  

Forever Fulham

A target man! A target man!
My kingdom for a target man!

Stay, thee, behind me, Berbatov.
For whilst the cock doth crow
like champions at White Hart Lane,
We steel ourselves like seely beggars
And yet still find a way to 37,
And a safe passage home.

Berserker

Well i was in two minds about whether it is Richard especially as he has a rather female skeleton. Looking at the skull compared to the portrait, even without the reconstruction the bone structure is in the right place. I'm sure if it was modern day and you super imposed a photo of Richard over the skull it would line up at the key points. Also the battle injuries to the head wouldn't be found on a contempory female. Therefore what with the curved spine and the DNA test i am pretty convinced it is Richard III. I think he should really be buried at York Minister as he would then be home. I'm sure my Archeaology lecturer will be discussing in the lesson Thursday!
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

Quote from: HatterDon on February 05, 2013, 11:37:26 PM
I'm guessing he's a bit too old to play CM.

Not for Fulham. It would help Karagounis to have a peer.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

A Humble Man

Quote from: leonffc on February 05, 2013, 10:23:27 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on February 05, 2013, 09:51:32 PM
Was he as bad as the Bard portrayed him?

Apparently not. There are some historians that argue that he was portrayed that way as a smear campaign by the tudors.

If you looked at the channel 4 programme he did have a bent spine, he did die in the way Shakespeare portrayed and he did declare him self king when the real king and his brother we in the tower and they disappeared not long after.   

For the two years he was King he did some good things but he did usurp the crown and had the most to gain from murder of his brothers children though that is not proof.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

ffc73

King of the realm = burial at Westminster Abbey.  I am however biased as a pro-Richard supporter though.  If not Westminster Abbey then York Minster

Richard governed/controlled the North on behalf of his brother Edward IV.  Historians consider that Richard's governance was better than Edward who spent most of his reign enjoying life to the full dying too early, allegedly, of syphilis to secure the succession for his sons.

The question we will never know the answer for certain is whether Richard was complicit in the Princes in the Tower murders or not.

VB

"Good or Bad, Still think he did it. He had the power and the motive...They were like Maffia familys...if you got in the way it was sorry youve gotta go....just no hard feelings a"
FULHAMISH: The more things change, The more they stay the same

MJG

State burial could equal a public holiday, so that would get my vote.
Anything for a day off work.