News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR--What Shall We Do With Good King Richard?

Started by LordNelson, February 05, 2013, 08:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where do you think they should rebury HRH Richard III?

Leicester Cathedral
5 (15.2%)
York
8 (24.2%)
Westminster Abbey
8 (24.2%)
Couldn't give a rat's behind
11 (33.3%)
Other
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Rupert

Quote from: ron on February 05, 2013, 10:55:08 PM
Surely York Minster. In life that was his place...in death he lay forgotten in Leicestershire for a good part of the last 500 years.

If we work on the fact that his evil reputation is nothing more than a Shakespearean calumny, then he deserves the honour of being buried in his own place.

As an aide memoire to remember the order of the colours of the spectrum, we say Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain. Perhaps if his reinstatement warns us of the dangers of believing everything the establishment wants us to hear, then he didn't.  

Putting my pedantic hat on for a moment (do I ever take it off?) the Richard of York in the above phrase was actually Richard III's dad, Richard, Duke of York, who was Henry VI's rival for the throne, which kicked off the whole Wars of the Roses saga. He did give battle in vain because, despite a number of crushing victories, he eventually ran into superior numbers who ambushed him (or he got overconfident, depending on how you read it) and got the chop without actually becoming king himself.

I agree about York, though, he belongs there more than anywhere, I think.

I do like the mock up of his face that they have made and are so proud of. It looks just like his painting. Amazing, really.

As for the Bard, he was a creature of his times, he had to write plays that would impress the Tudors, who of course got their paws on the thone after defeating Richard III at Bosworth, so he was hardly going to depict the man as a saint, was he? Ditto Macbeth. Here was the legal king of Scotland, deposed by Edward the Confessor, who was well thought of by Tudor Englishmen. Well, he, Macbeth, must have been a bad man, mustn't he? Except that history tells us he was a good king (or as good as they tended to be in those days), ruled wisely and went on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem before the English found a puppet candidate more to their liking to rule their northern neighbour and sent an army to install him.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

grandad

Richard of York gave battle in vain
R = Red
O = Orange
Y = Yellow
G = Green
B = Blue
I = Indigo
V = Violet

This is how to remember the colour order in a rainbow

He should be buried in York Minster.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ffc73

Richard III was Duke of Gloucester before becoming king

Rupert is 100% correct in that the mnemonic is about King Richard's father, the Duke of York, who was killed at the Battle of Wakefield with his second son Edmund, Earl of Rutland, on 30th December 1460

They were both avenged in March 1461 by the eldest son the Earl of March who became Edward IV.

The fourth son of the Duke of York, George, was Duke of Clarence.  He was convicted of treason and by his brother Edward IV and the sentence of death carried out.  Drowned in a butt of malmsey wine.  Shakespeare again?

I have three sons.  Edward, Richard and George.  Named after this lot.  And I wonder why mine don't get along.....

Fulham1959

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Berserker

Quote from: FFC73 on February 06, 2013, 04:04:45 PM

Maybe he should be buried in Gloucester  next to Edward II
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

ron

Quote from: Berserker on February 06, 2013, 06:10:59 PM
Quote from: FFC73 on February 06, 2013, 04:04:45 PM

Maybe he should be buried in Gloucester  next to Edward II

I believe History has decided to forget Edward II, who had a very unpleasant end ...literally, due to his ...er relationship with a French Knight, Piers Gaveston

Gozorich

Stick him in the House of Lords; no one would notice.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

He was born near Leicester he died near Leicester 
The people of Leicester have been driving over him for years,  they deserve to keep him and make some money  from visitors.  York and London get enough tourists  already.

Burt

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Burt on February 06, 2013, 11:06:43 PM
Quote from: Gozorich on February 06, 2013, 10:38:56 PM
Stick him in the House of Lords; no one would notice.

:005:
They are looking for King Alfred now in Winchester.  Why not just wait until they find him and just have one big special day.  Love the idea of another Bank Holiday though!
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Forever Fulham

Lighthouse

They should have  Peter Sellers as Richard reciting  'Hard Days Night' as they build a new multi storey car park around him leaving space R3 forever empty.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cebu

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 06, 2013, 11:55:41 PM
They should have  Peter Sellers as Richard reciting  'Hard Days Night' as they build a new multi storey car park around him leaving space R3 forever empty.

Excellent idea - it sounds doable ... which probably means that it won't be done though   :wine:

McBridefan1

In the end zone at giant stadium with jimmy Hoffa?