watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Newcastle v FULHAM Match Thread

Started by Baider, April 07, 2013, 02:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

We had two chances. Chose to defend deep. Lost the game.

Like nearly every away game and yet I am told we are not dull to watch.

We have some great players all told to play deep unless we have a breakaway. Then we lose the ball because we have no pace. When we have the pace of Rodders, Berbatov drops into his own half. Frustrating and dull.

I love the way people have a go at Rodders. As if anything he did made was worse than anything anybody else did.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

IranianCottager

We really missed Dejagah, Manolev has nowhere near the same amount of pace, skill, and creativity as him.
Very disappointing to see Frei given no playing time. Even Emanuelson deserves another chance.
But for Jol to wait until the 80th minute (I don't count Frimpong for Enoh since it was forced due to injury) to make a sub was very confusing. And to not even give Frei or Emanuelson any playing time on the wings, where we needed speed and creativity, while Manolev and Duff did essentially nothing all match, is beyond me.
And the goal was so avoidable, what a poor clearance by Duff. All he had to do was boot the ball up the field to clear the danger and let our defense reorganize, but he couldn't do it. I'm not trying to put all the blame on him, but he should have done better.

Aaron

In the first half I thought we looked good value for this to be honest.

grandad

The injury to Enoh hit us as bad as the injury to Dejadah did on Monday. Today Duff was our weakest player. I would have put on Frei in the 2nd half.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Barrie

Quote from: grandad on April 07, 2013, 05:00:33 PM
Newcastle were playing for their lives. Of course we were going to be under the cosh. The defence did a great job for 92 mins & only a miss hit shot made it´s way to Cisse.

That's how I see it too.  That said,we lack incision in our attacking play without Jags in the team, and Duff doesn't appear to carry any threat.

zschwartz

the rodallega substitution was anything but cynical... yes, maybe he should not be played at all, but it was an offensive substitution.  That is what is frustrating to me; away from home against a team fighting for their life and we decide to shoot ourselves in the foot. Manolev was removed, a defender positioned in the midfield, for what would become positionally a cf.  it was as though he expected us to concede either way and try to grab one back late.

to those saying we were going to be the ones controlling an away game in the 93rd minute against a relegation-bound opponent with our average age of 36... the point was the right thing to play for at that stage of the game. removing manolev for rodallega was an extremely optimistic decision. they hit the post or xbar, what, 5-6 times?

grandad

Remy has just made an off the ground lunge & only got a yellow. Far worse than Sidders.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 07, 2013, 05:12:25 PM

We have some great players all told to play deep unless we have a breakaway. Then we lose the ball because we have no pace. When we have the pace of Rodders, Berbatov drops into his own half. Frustrating and dull.

I love the way people have a go at Rodders. As if anything he did made was worse than anything anybody else did.

I don't think Rodders has been singled out specifically and he shouldn't be. I commented on his inability to control, protect, hold onto and lay off a ball but he did that all at once. I'm not even sure he will score any points out of ten based on his impact today but he ought to escape any worthwhile criticism as Jol and the players on for the full ninety five minutes let the side and the travelling support down.

Bassey the warrior

Berba and Ruiz were much more of a threat.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: grandad on April 07, 2013, 05:23:39 PM
Remy has just made an off the ground lunge & only got a yellow. Far worse than Sidders.

True. Clattenburg just hates us. Neither Hangeland nor Sidwell should've been sent off.

Humbled

Quote from: alexbishop on April 07, 2013, 04:58:47 PM
Quote from: Luffy86 on April 07, 2013, 04:57:56 PM
It sounded like we didn't do much attacking...? Would be nice to go away from home and try to score as many as possible, or is that asking too much? It seems like we are waiting for the odd counter attack...!?

When we counter it goes out to the wingers who stop, turn around and pass it backwards

due to having no strikers in the box at any time.....

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: zschwartz on April 07, 2013, 05:22:26 PM
the rodallega substitution was anything but cynical... yes, maybe he should not be played at all, but it was an offensive substitution.  That is what is frustrating to me; away from home against a team fighting for their life and we decide to shoot ourselves in the foot. Manolev was removed, a defender positioned in the midfield, for what would become positionally a cf.  it was as though he expected us to concede either way and try to grab one back late.

to those saying we were going to be the ones controlling an away game in the 93rd minute against a relegation-bound opponent with our average age of 36... the point was the right thing to play for at that stage of the game. removing manolev for rodallega was an extremely optimistic decision. they hit the post or xbar, what, 5-6 times?

Rodallega went up front though. What would you have us do just defend for our lives for 95 minutes? Defending too deep is the reason we lost not bringing off Manolev, the goal didn't come from their left side.

Humbled

Quote from: The Moose on April 07, 2013, 05:31:50 PM

more chances when he came on than b4 he was on... so thats 81 mins to 14.... he gives us something else AT times i enjoy watching Ruiz but with Berba it will take something special from BOTH week in week out for me to be happy

i wont change my oppinion we want a striker that plays off the shoulder at all times

we also keep getting lucky with our over playing of the ball at the back

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Humbled on April 07, 2013, 05:37:36 PM

more chances when he came on than b4 he was on... so thats 81 mins to 14.... he gives us something else AT times i enjoy watching Ruiz but with Berba it will take something special from BOTH week in week out for me to be happy

i wont change my oppinion we want a striker that plays off the shoulder at all times

What game were you watching? No there weren't. What we need is for Ruiz to get forward more like he did in the first half, we need a new left winger as Duff is average out there. Possibly Kaca and Frei but that remains to be seen. And yes a poacher with pace who can be a good impact sub, and that isn't Rodallega.

Humbled

Quote from: The Moose on April 07, 2013, 05:41:01 PM

What game were you watching? No there weren't. What we need is for Ruiz to get forward more like he did in the first half, we need a new left winger as Duff is average out there. Possibly Kaca and Frei but that remains to be seen. And yes a poacher with pace who can be a good impact sub, and that isn't Rodallega.

3 to 2.... in play (not from dead ball)
Ruiz and Berba look good (Ruiz only at times) if we had a striker with a bit of pace that stayed up front we would be a far greater threat going forward
im not saying Rodders is the man, im simply saying i hope next season the 2 starting attackers are NOT Berba and Ruiz

to whoever said about wingers, i would like more pace however you could have usain Bolt but due to how deep Berba and Ruiz play and how slow they are (Ruiz being played thru by Berba today - not the one the defender blocked) we would never have anyone in the box

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Humbled on April 07, 2013, 05:44:14 PM

Ruiz and Berba look good (Ruiz only at times) if we had a striker with a bit of pace that stayed up front we would be a far greater threat going forward
im not saying Rodders is the man, im simply saying i hope next season the 2 starting attackers are NOT Berba and Ruiz

to whoever said about wingers, i would like more pace however you could have usain Bolt but due to how deep Berba and Ruiz play and how slow they are (Ruiz being played thru by Berba today - not the one the defender blocked) we would never have anyone in the box

We can agree at least that Rodallega shouldn't be starting.

Humbled

QPR just scored a goal we will not... unless Reither bags it ofcourse

Humbled

Quote from: The Moose on April 07, 2013, 05:52:52 PM
Quote from: Humbled on April 07, 2013, 05:44:14 PM

We can agree at least that Rodallega shouldn't be starting.

sorry... i would take him over Ruiz lol so maybe we wont agree haha
but i just have a real problem with Ruiz and Berba starting down the middle so maybe i have my blinkers on a bit due to this??

JackyFulham90

I thought the back 4 had good games, Schwarzer was very good, Enoh looked good, Ruiz & Berbatov had there moments, Kara , Duff & Manolev were poor

epsomraver

Quote from: The Moose on April 07, 2013, 05:32:40 PM
Quote from: grandad on April 07, 2013, 05:23:39 PM

True. Clattenburg just hates us. Neither Hangeland nor Sidwell should've been sent off.

It was Probert  not Clattenburg,