more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The View from South Texas -- Fulham FC v. Arsenal

Started by HatterDon, April 20, 2013, 07:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Brave, Strong, Resilient, and Defeated

On the whole, I'd rather we played poorly and got the three points, but an undermanned Fulham showed Arsenal and much of the football world how to play for 80 minutes with only 10 men. I can't remember a time this season when I have been more proud of the mighty Whites. The final score was 0-1, but this was a million miles away from a boring match.

If there was any doubt who would come out on top when the opening whistle sounded, the mystery essentially ended in the 12th minute when Steve Sidwell, fresh from a three match suspension for a straight red card, earned another with a reckless, two-footed, over-the-ball tackle. There were chants of "You don't know what you're doing" aimed at referee Andre Marriner from the Hammersmith End, but if there ever was a clear red, this was it. It's a shame that Sidwell will end his very best season in the Black and White with only 12 minutes of play sandwiched between six days of suspension.

Despite the fact that Arsenal were in complete control of the ball inside the first 10 minutes, Fulham could have actually been ahead well before Sidwell left the field of play. After some very good work on the right wing by makeshift RB Stanislav Manolev, Urby Emanuelson missed a clear opportunity to play in a wide open Dimitar Berbatov for what would have been his easiest goal of the season.

To get the details out of the way, Arsenal's Per Mertesacker got the only goal of the match when Bryan Ruiz fell asleep while marking Lauren Koscielny on a free kick. Arsenal had two other shots on target, and Berbatov, Emanuelson, Ruiz, and Kieran Richardson all had creditable efforts repelled. Arsenal found themselves down to 10 men in the 90th minute when Olivier Giroud autographed Manolev's ankle.

Okay, Hatter, what exactly was it that made you so proud in losing the match? Didn't you notice that Arsenal had more than ¾ of possession? Yes, I did notice that. I also noticed that we counter-attacked with gusto – and, for perhaps the first time this season – with pace from the wings. Kacaniklic started on the left and ran at and turned defenders with aplomb. Emanuelson played on the right wing and bedeviled Arsenal's Monreal the entire match. Richardson was put in to counter the pace of Arsenal's right-sided attack and did well, while still managing to get forward on occasion. Manolev had the most difficult job on the pitch, that of replacing Fulham's player of the season, Sascha Riether. Not only was his defense excellent, but he slipped into Riether's role of primary attacker quite seamlessly. He even put the ball into the net late in the match, but he was one of two players who were in offsides position at the time.

As the match went on, Fulham became more aggressive in their counter-attacks using both wings and excessive speed – all this while maintaining good defensive shape and organization. Arsenal's defense was not happy, and resorted to fouling to slow Fulham down as they continued to wonder why they couldn't score against what should have been a depleted and dispirited team. When Martin Jol finally got around to resting his exhausted warriors, the two substitutions – Mladen Petrić and Kerim Frei – didn't miss a beat in pressuring the Gunners. And the spirit! For me, Fulham's attitude was exemplified by the much maligned Philippe Senderos in the right winger's position[!], crossing into the penalty area and winning a corner, and then taking up his attacking position with a roar and a pump of that giant left fist.

I have a few moans, but none of them were the cause of anything that determined the points distribution. Once Sidwell left his mark on Mikel Arteta and the match, the points were essentially decided. If there was one player who disappointed me it was Berbatov. If he expended as much effort in moving his legs as he did waving his arms in disgust at his teammates, he might not have been caught offsides so much. At times it looked as if he wanted to be known as the Bulgarian Collins John.

On the plus side, I really am warming to Eyong Enoh. He was lucky not to get a yellow early in the first half for repeated fouling, but he looks like he's going to become an excellent central midfielder. I don't know his contract status, but I think he's one we should hold on to with a contract longer than one year. Emanuelson also looked very good, but he's only got four more matches left in our colors. Richardson looked a natural left back today and played with a lot of spirit and heart. As I said before, Manolev played a great game. I hope we keep him as well. Senderos was strong in central defense and partnered well with the man whose name I heard more even than Arsene Wenger's: Brede Hangeland. His brief two-match slump is over.

The gaffer selected a good squad and starting XI, and the lads did a great job of work today. With special mention to our giant Norwegian Texan, HatterDon's Man of the Match goes to Martin Emanuelson Manolev Enoh Kacaniklic.

COYW!

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

sipwell

I was wondering whom you would pick as man of the match. All the players you mention do indeed deserve it. Manolev was truly remarkable, Enoh very sturdy in defence, Emanuelson a real threat...

And yes, Sidwell, dear old Sidwell...
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Rupert

Excellent report, Mr Don, there is not a single word I can disagree with in that little lot.

Or, in messageboard terms  :plus one:
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Count Berbatov

Harsh on Berbatov. And I'm not just saying it, because I'm a fan.
He played off the shoulder of the last defender. He held the ball well and created the time and chances for himself and the others.
I would think, by now you'd know that he doesn't chase full backs.
Also worth mentioning is that Urby and Manolev completely redeemed themselves. And the reason is as simple as it is. They got more playing time, than the odd minute now and then.
I hope the youngsters Frei and Kaca get more time for the rest of the season. Excellent from both

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

cmg

Always been a tough gig, being a Fulham supporter. You start off hopeful, after 12 minutes become resigned to a thrashing and end up pissed off we didn't win it.

We keep getting told that accidents wait to happen (just as well, really. If they all happened at once we'd all be done for). Well, for Steve Sidwell his happened 12 minutes into his return from suspension. The trouble with Steve is that he's not quite top quality defensively and therefore has to operate right on the edge. If he had been a fraction earlier or a fraction nearer there would have been no problem, but as it was, under today's interpretation, Andre Marriner, Martin Keown's not-quite-so-evil twin, was right (but strict) in his action. The same, incidently, could be said for Giraud's later red card.

From then on we played great and can be considerd unlucky not to have nicked something, although I think it's fair to say that Arsenal are in the 'geriatric hamster' category when it comes to ruthlessness. It's nice to know we can still find some pride and bottle when necessary.

I believe that we have options to buy the contracts of Manolev and Enoh at the end of their loan periods so, like Riether, if we want them and if we can agree terms with them then we can have them (I am not certain about this, but it's the way I see it). One presumes we would want all three. Manolev is a more than adequate deputy for Riether and can fill in elsewhere. Enoh begins to look like a starter.
Unfortunately we don't have an option on Emanuelson and are, therefore, unlikely to be able to keep him, which is a pity as he seems now to be getting the hang of it over here.

Richardson looks like he will challenge Riise from now on and one wonders why on earth we shunted Kacaniklic off to Lancashire.

NogoodBoyo

Excellent reporting from the back of the dugout, Big D.
For the record, my new hero and lynch-pin for Fulham's future is Enohgood Boyo.  Big Jol stated that we have an option to buy him from Ajax, but they are asking for a fair "few bob" for him.  As I said elsewhere, that's a few bob worth paying.
I'm with you on Hangeland, Manolev, Richardson (thrilling to see two such accomplished replacement full backs) and Kacaniclic.  Not sure about Senderos.  He was at fault of the goal... again.  Is it just bad luck, or does the eye of Mordor bring on this bad luck?  When I think about it, his bad luck is immense - a goal-bound header against Chelsea cleared off the line brilliantly...by his teammate, Petric!!!!  But, I go with the sports greats who say you make your own luck.  Or is it the harder I work, the luckier I get?
Nogood "Senderos's song - If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all, isit" Boyo

Azeedo

I don't know about you but Ruiz always plays well against Arsenal

domprague

Beautifully put.

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on April 21, 2013, 12:52:19 AM
Excellent reporting from the back of the dugout, Big D.
For the record, my new hero and lynch-pin for Fulham's future is Enohgood Boyo.  Big Jol stated that we have an option to buy him from Ajax, but they are asking for a fair "few bob" for him.  As I said elsewhere, that's a few bob worth paying.
I'm with you on Hangeland, Manolev, Richardson (thrilling to see two such accomplished replacement full backs) and Kacaniclic.  Not sure about Senderos.  He was at fault of the goal... again.  Is it just bad luck, or does the eye of Mordor bring on this bad luck?  When I think about it, his bad luck is immense - a goal-bound header against Chelsea cleared off the line brilliantly...by his teammate, Petric!!!!  But, I go with the sports greats who say you make your own luck.  Or is it the harder I work, the luckier I get?
Nogood "Senderos's song - If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all, isit" Boyo
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Lighthouse

We are down to ten men and still leave a forward whose game is to slow and build the play on the pitch. We leave our best skillful player in central midfield after the sending off. If we only had pace in the centre to match the wide play who too often have to wait for the skilfiul Berbatov to catch up.

How does Hatter stay so calm in his analysis?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BillNRoc

While I would prefer to attend big matches at the Cottage, living in the USA makes that impractical. But I sometimes think having to watch the games on TV gives us some data we would never collect in person.

My sole quibble with HD concerns his assessment of Ruiz, whose not-ready-for-primetime play leads me to call him "Mr. Giveaway." After so long without producing a goal, he seems more and more like a costly mistake. Still, the 10 who remained on the pitch put in a remarkable shift and did seem to deserve a point for the effort and intelligence they displayed, superior to the Gunners' in both categories. COYW.

HatterDon

Quote from: BillNRoc on April 22, 2013, 05:48:51 PM
While I would prefer to attend big matches at the Cottage, living in the USA makes that impractical. But I sometimes think having to watch the games on TV gives us some data we would never collect in person.

My sole quibble with HD concerns his assessment of Ruiz, whose not-ready-for-primetime play leads me to call him "Mr. Giveaway." After so long without producing a goal, he seems more and more like a costly mistake. Still, the 10 who remained on the pitch put in a remarkable shift and did seem to deserve a point for the effort and intelligence they displayed, superior to the Gunners' in both categories. COYW.

Uh, all I said about Bryan was that he fell asleep on the free-kick that led to their goal. That wasn't even faint praise.

BarryP

Quote from: HatterDon on April 22, 2013, 11:32:09 PM

Uh, all I said about Bryan was that he fell asleep on the free-kick that led to their goal. That wasn't even faint praise.

Perhaps it was your lack of assessment of.Ruiz.that is the quibble?
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

HatterDon

Quote from: BarryP on April 23, 2013, 12:51:33 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on April 22, 2013, 11:32:09 PM

Perhaps it was your lack of assessment of.Ruiz.that is the quibble?

I suppose. I guess I'm just too used to getting hammered for what I DO say.  064.gif

Snibbo

Quote from: HatterDon on April 23, 2013, 01:22:05 AM
I suppose. I guess I'm just too used to getting hammered for what I DO say.  064.gif

Hammered Mr. H.D.? I think everybody on here appreciates your finely written reports, even if some occasionally miss the subtlety of your observations.  :Haynes The Maestro: