watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Silly Season Transfer Speculation 2013’

Started by Admin, April 26, 2013, 05:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

Are clubs like Norwich, Southampton, Swansea really that much bigger than Fulham that they can truly afford to sign so many high quality player?

I know that Fulham has a more practical, slow growth approach to the transfer mkt, but these clubs are spending multiples of our outlay seemingly each season.

Their approach appears to be investing in players with a look toward profiting off transfers to fund even more signings all the while continuing to solidify their place. Many here, I'm sure, have seen these clubs bounce up and fall down several times. Has this kind of transfers activity been their MO in the past?

Just curious how sustainable their approach is/has been.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

God The Mechanic

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 11, 2013, 02:47:36 PM
Are clubs like Norwich, Southampton, Swansea really that much bigger than Fulham that they can truly afford to sign so many high quality player?

I know that Fulham has a more practical, slow growth approach to the transfer mkt, but these clubs are spending multiples of our outlay seemingly each season.

Their approach appears to be investing in players with a look toward profiting off transfers to fund even more signings all the while continuing to solidify their place. Many here, I'm sure, have seen these clubs bounce up and fall down several times. Has this kind of transfers activity been their MO in the past?

Just curious how sustainable their approach is/has been.

Maybe they pay more in wages, and Swansea at least have the lure of European football this year.  Players can play in he Europa then at the end of this season get transferred somewhere bigger.  Also, Soton and Swansea have pretty decent (recent) former players as their mangers, that likely helps.

BarryP

Quote from: Admin on July 11, 2013, 01:59:44 PM
Quote from: Northern Cottager on July 11, 2013, 01:41:47 PM
Bony confirmed to Swansea :(

Although, I'd like to add, he's seriously overpriced at 12 million.

12 million still sounds like a huge number to me but when I look around at what the average signings seem to be going for today I don't think the 12 million spent on Bony seems that far away from the new average.  
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Enter the Frei

12 million on Bony would be a much better plan than spending £4-6 million on a player like Bent.

St Eve

Quote from: Admin on July 11, 2013, 01:43:55 PM
Also, I'm hearing Huddlestone to Sunderland today.

Starting to get a little bit nervous again, we're dragging our heels again whilst other around us are moving.

Thank goodness we didn't get him

SaltfordWhite

Quote from: Enter the Frei on July 11, 2013, 04:24:23 PM
12 million on Bony would be a much better plan than spending £4-6 million on a player like Bent.

I wouldn't know how to quantify something like that until Bony has done at least one season in the premier League.

Zu-Meister

the players are off on tour, and no news or pics(from the official website), no news of the new signging. dont think he was refering to karagounis, and i got the feeling we wont be signing sako.

cmg

Quote from: Zu-Meister on July 11, 2013, 06:24:18 PM
the players are off on tour, and no news or pics(from the official website)

...apart from the pics on the official website.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/11/costa-rica-bound

Includes a glimpse of a 'new' signing talking to Sidwell and Stockdale. 'My, my, AJ - I do believe you've put on a little weight.'

Zu-Meister

Quote from: cmg on July 11, 2013, 06:28:15 PM
Quote from: Zu-Meister on July 11, 2013, 06:24:18 PM
the players are off on tour, and no news or pics(from the official website)

...apart from the pics on the official website.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/11/costa-rica-bound
what i meant was no new pics in that bunch wich suggested a new signging who wasnt karagounis.

grandad

Southampton have completed the transfer of Wanyama for 12.5 mil. We really are the poor relations of the PL.
Where there's a will there's a wife

God The Mechanic

Quote from: grandad on July 11, 2013, 07:11:15 PM
Southampton have completed the transfer of Wanyama for 12.5 mil. We really are the poor relations of the PL.

They've also got rid of Vegard Forren, which considering many frustrations on here when they signed him is interesting.  Especially as he didn't play a single game.

As for the poor relations, we're less than 2 weeks into the open window and the whole club being sold malarkey that's currently afoot.  I wouldn't start worrying just yet.

jelmo

Trying to think of teams with less depth than ours but im struggling.

ToodlesMcToot

I've got to say, I'm starting to feel a little left behind this transfer window. We're still the oldest team in the league and one year older than last. We need an injection of youth (of the 23-26 yr old variety).

I hope that Khan gets down to business quickly.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

fulhamben

Quote from: jelmo on July 11, 2013, 07:16:45 PM
well thats cos you are biased. we have 4 decent cb 2 decent keepers 2 ok lb 1 decent rb 3 decent cm plenty of decent wingers and 2 decent strikers. we are only a couple of players short.......
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: fulhamben on July 11, 2013, 07:20:04 PM
Quote from: jelmo on July 11, 2013, 07:16:45 PM
well thats cos you are biased. we have 4 decent cb 2 decent keepers 2 ok lb 1 decent rb 3 decent cm plenty of decent wingers and 2 decent strikers. we are only a couple of players short.......

I agree. One quality creative cm and a pacey goalscorer and, with a good start to build confidence, we could have our most consistent PL season.

We have more depth now than ever. Those who think not should recall the benches Sir Roy had to put out.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 11, 2013, 07:17:21 PM

I've got to say, I'm starting to feel a little left behind this transfer window. We're still the oldest team in the league and one year older than last. We need an injection of youth (of the 23-26 yr old variety).

I hope that Khan gets down to business quickly.
Not sure that's correct. We've released Baird, Schwarzer, Davies and Petric and brought in younger players. A few younger loanees have returned to their parent club but they could return. In any case we've reduced the age of our permanent squad.

DevonFFC

A lot of things floating round about us and Coates if Liverpool, thought he was meant to be the next big thing?

God The Mechanic

Quote from: ollienixs on July 11, 2013, 10:54:13 PM
A lot of things floating round about us and Coates if Liverpool, thought he was meant to be the next big thing?

He was pretty awesome at the Copa America a few years back, but probably did what quite a few South Americans do and move too high too early.  Should have gone for a mid table Prem club or somewhere like Holland, maybe Portugal and France to get games.  Could be fun to get a younger player whose career has stalled, rather than a 29/30 year old for once :P

HillFace

Lot of chat on twitter about Liverpool defender Sebastien Coates coming to the Cottage.

Always struck me as rather useless but he did score that goal against QPR that once.
The above may be nonsense

Zu-Meister

coates has been so bad since moving to the prem.